• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a house can be hard as fuck unless you live in the bush.

Even living here in the middle of nowhere we can't buy a house until my son goes to school and my wife gets a job. Housing is expensive yo.

Food is cheap if you look around, should be even more so in the capital cities. Do your grocery shopping at Aldi and the produce markets!!!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So do you guys think Australia is too expensive? Do you all just get by or are you happy where you are financially?

I know the quality of life in Australia is among the highest, and that you never really got hit by the GFC. However, things are really expensive and I wonder how other feel about it?

I've just arrived only a few months ago, but I wonder how some people live in the more remote areas and can survive. Yes, your minimum wage is almost double the US but your house prices are pretty high. The food is generally expensive and non essential items are absurdly expensive (eg soda).

I've noticed in Melbourne that eating out for lunch is costing me about 1/3 - 1/2 more then it was in London and NYC. My salary is a bit less, but not much. Games are much more then the US for sure, but you can get good deals if you shop around.

Is it hard to get up on your feet here and save/invest? Or is it a better way of life and its actually not as bad as it seems at first glance?

How much are you spending for lunch / what are you buying and consider it 1/3 - 1/2 more?

Darren870

Getting a house can be hard as fuck unless you live in the bush.

Even living here in the middle of nowhere we can't buy a house until my son goes to school and my wife gets a job. Housing is expensive yo.

Food is cheap if you look around, should be even more so in the capital cities. Do your grocery shopping at Aldi and the produce markets!!!

So it seems, I noticed that even houses off the Newell highway were pretty high. Also hotels were mad expensive. When we drove down from Brisbane to Melbourne we stopped at a few places and motels were quoting $100+! I can get a room in NYC for just a bit more! Forget about a random place like Coonabarabran. I know they cater more to people doing road trips, but that is crazy. We slept above the pub for about $45 instead...

How much are you spending for lunch / what are you buying and consider it 1/3 - 1/2 more?

I tend to bring my lunch majority of the time. Always have and always will, but it was one of the first things I noticed.

Its about $10-12 here for a random lunch with no soda/drink. Ranging from Sandwich, to a salad. Can get a good price deal in London for £4-5. So about 20% more.

Sushi tends to be cheaper though.

So do you guys think Australia is too expensive? Do you all just get by or are you happy where you are financially?

I know the quality of life in Australia is among the highest, and that you never really got hit by the GFC. However, things are really expensive and I wonder how other feel about it?

I've just arrived only a few months ago, but I wonder how some people live in the more remote areas and can survive. Yes, your minimum wage is almost double the US but your house prices are pretty high. The food is generally expensive and non essential items are absurdly expensive (eg soda).

I've noticed in Melbourne that eating out for lunch is costing me about 1/3 - 1/2 more then it was in London and NYC. My salary is a bit less, but not much. Games are much more then the US for sure, but you can get good deals if you shop around.

Is it hard to get up on your feet here and save/invest? Or is it a better way of life and its actually not as bad as it seems at first glance?

Restaurant food can be pricey, but you can always find good deals and cheaper places to eat if you search around and ask some locals. I would say $10-12 per meal per person is the average price, unless you only like to eat in fancy places, that would be like $25/meal.

The closer you are to the CBD, the smaller and more expensive houses will be. Try looking in areas 25kms away from the city, you should be able to find cheaper houses, but yes, house prices are really, really high. If you're by yourself, renting is the better option.

Once you settle in and start budgeting your income, you probably won't worry about pricing that much. Mostly you have to price match, shop around and look for deals since there is no MRP in Australia.

If you're looking to invest, try putting down money in off the plan development properties/estates.

So it seems, I noticed that even houses off the Newell highway were pretty high. Also hotels were mad expensive. When we drove down from Brisbane to Melbourne we stopped at a few places and motels were quoting $100+! I can get a room in NYC for just a bit more! Forget about a random place like Coonabarabran. I know they cater more to people doing road trips, but that is crazy. We slept above the pub for about $45 instead...

I tend to bring my lunch majority of the time. Always have and always will, but it was one of the first things I noticed.

Its about $10-12 here for a random lunch with no soda/drink. Ranging from Sandwich, to a salad. Can get a good price deal in London for £4-5. So about 20% more.

Sushi tends to be cheaper though.

Motel prices start from $70-80, any less than that would only be backpacker accommodations or off-peak long stay accommodation.

Lunch from home is the best option, I calculated the savings over a couple of months some time ago and worked out to be a saving of $30/week = $125/month = $1500/year.

Does anyone know of a way to watch Max TV outside of Australia? I miss that channel so damn much.

Also I agree with the mentioned cost of a lunch compared to other areas. $12 was average for a barebones meal.

Shaneus

AAC is there too Shaneus!
I know! But it's obvious I'm keen for that already ;P
Still waiting for a final release of it on Pee Ceeeeeeeeee

I think I'm most excited for Nuclear Throne and Binding of Issac:Rebirth on PS4. Comfy couch gaming 4 EVA.
This is true, but I own majority of the indie stuff I want already on PC. Only exception is (obviously) Hotline Miami 2, and I'm not super excited about segregating my indie gaming habits. But maybe I will.

legend166

Other than house prices I think things are okay.

House prices are just soul crushingly depressing though. I hate what's happened with the housing market here. If it wasn't for family I'd move out of Sydney and go to Tassie or something.

Other than house prices I think things are okay.

House prices are just soul crushingly depressing though. I hate what's happened with the housing market here. If it wasn't for family I'd move out of Sydney and go to Tassie or something.

Yeah it's ridiculous. No way I could justify buying.

Oh for fucks sake. I could have sworn I found information online about how I could use Plex on my Winders phone to control media being sent to the chromecast via plex.

Apparently not! Five dollars circling the drain.

Found some dev comment about how its unlikely that Plex would ever support it in the future. Get fucked you google cunts and release Chromecast support on WP.

Quasar

Thats unlikely. Google is pretty anti WP. Hence there not even being a official youtube app.

The only reason that would change is if WP gained a much bigger marketshare.

And without api/sdk support I'm not sure anyone could macgyver chromecast support into any WP app.

Kritz

Banned
I made my burger game require users to have a login account on kritz.net so I could start doing user customization and stat tracking. In the past day there have been around 300 new users registered.

I'm now tracking the number of times users successfully complete an order within the game. In the past three hours, 20 accounts have done this, and in total, ~40 orders have been completed so far.

Also, of the 35 users who have registered their email with Kritz.net (a completely optional field which just allows me to send them a password reset thing), around 85% of those users are from the Czech Republic.

All for a game that has no objective, is almost completely broken, and usually receives an update once every 2-3 months.

I made my burger game require users to have a login account on kritz.net so I could start doing user customization and stat tracking. In the past day there have been around 300 new users registered.

I'm now tracking the number of times users successfully complete an order within the game. In the past three hours, 20 accounts have done this, and in total, ~40 orders have been completed so far.

Also, of the 35 users who have registered their email with Kritz.net (a completely optional field which just allows me to send them a password reset thing), around 85% of those users are from the Czech Republic.

All for a game that has no objective, is almost completely broken, and usually receives an update once every 2-3 months.

Must be a central European thing.

HfdyDFO.jpg

Rizzi

Oh for fucks sake. I could have sworn I found information online about how I could use Plex on my Winders phone to control media being sent to the chromecast via plex.

Apparently not! Five dollars circling the drain.

Found some dev comment about how its unlikely that Plex would ever support it in the future. Get fucked you google cunts and release Chromecast support on WP.

So.. How are you liking your Chromecast?

Kritz

Banned
think it's about time for a Witcher 1+2 replay!

... okay maybe just a Witcher 2 replay. Witcher 1 was neat and all, but I think I can go without ever seeing those swamps ever again.

Fogz

think it's about time for a Witcher 1+2 replay!

... okay maybe just a Witcher 2 replay. Witcher 1 was neat and all, but I think I can go without ever seeing those swamps ever again.

I've been meaning to replay Witcher 2 with the combat mod. That game is so good!

Kritz

Banned
Guess my router decided to shit itself.

Just went to the store to buy a new adsl cable, came back, and noticed I can't even connect to the router locally anymore, and it's stopped broadcasting wifi to boot.

urrg not looking forward to paying for a new wireless router.

Kritz

Banned
So let's say I'm now in the market for a modem router.

... do I just buy the cheapest wireless modem router I can find, or will that bite me in the ass?

... shit, jb closes in 50 minutes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830833

a Gaffer who can't get a job, gets an interview for a decently paying IT job which he only needs to not fuck up at the interview, feels he is made to wait too long without an apology, walks out after 50 minutes without saying a word, drives an hour home to post on GAF, gets pilloried by most of GAF, gets email from prospective employer asking if he's returning for the interview, replies calling the prospective employer unprofessional, gets a really nice reply, calls GAF milk-drinking, gets banned, etc

see also phyrric victory, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, pride comes before a fall.

I just caught up on that whole thread. Wow, just wow. That guy is really struggling.

Rizzi

The basic bundle that EB has at the moment seems to be a pretty good deal. Mario Kart + Free downloadable game and Skylanders.
Hmm.
I would need an external hdd though.

Jintor

The basic bundle that EB has at the moment seems to be a pretty good deal. Mario Kart + Free downloadable game and Skylanders.
Hmm.
I would need an external hdd though.

I had one kicking around for yonks ago. You may require a Y cable with two USB connections feeding in though - WiiU power draw blows chunks p/USB out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom