• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

Every review has to be in 2015

Every review must mention co-op

Every review now mentions co-op, and I'm trying to wrap my head around how the system reviews games that aren't out yet - maybe I should make Game Preview System too :)

Gender. Race. disdain for the genre, tell stupid story about why the game resonates with you and its cognitive dissonance, ludonarrative dissonance,

plus your ethics policy. Please mention your ethics in each review.

Added ludonarrative dissonance which will appear randomly. I think I'll need to add a "Have you been reviewing games for more than ten years, and are thoroughly sick of being a game reviewer?" option which will unlock all sorts of this stuff.

It looks awesome, great work Gaz!

Yay! Glad it arrived, I hope you like it!

God, it's so weird to think the Kickstarter was back in November. Good grief. What a long ride it's been.

Stay tuned for me to hound you guys about another Kickstarter in a week or two OH GOD

Every review now mentions co-op, and I'm trying to wrap my head around how the system reviews games that aren't out yet - maybe I should make Game Preview System too :)

Nah just ask for the user to input the date the review is being done for and make it always change the year to 2015 lol

Dead Man

It's beautiful:
Dookeystein tries to seperate itself from the pack with interesting features. One of the great things about Dookeystein is that you get to make real moral choices along your way through the complex storyline. It really affects the game in a subtle, mature and nuanced way, like whether or not you end the game by feasting on the brains of dead prostitutes or killing yourself in front of your terrified pregnant wife.

Some people may bemon the lack of co-op play, but this reviewer believes it would have caused ludonarrative dissonance.

Quasar

Still kind of bummed about how underwhelming E3 was this year.

I thought it was one one the better ones for quite a few years.All three platform holders had a good variety of stuff to show, plus other stuff. Admittedly not a lot of it was for 2014, but hey with 3 year game and marketing cycles for big budget games its understandable I guess.

Ingram

Good day for me in terms of games. Started Mario 3D Land as my first 3DS game, really loving the 3D effect and the depth it adds. It almost makes up for the lacklustre screen quality.

And on the PC side I've started Civ 5.

Who needs next gen anyway!

Good day for me in terms of games. Started Mario 3D Land as my first 3DS game, really loving the 3D effect and the depth it adds. It almost makes up for the lacklustre screen quality.

And on the PC side I've started Civ 5.

Who needs next gen anyway!

Mario land is god tier.

Harts Pub in Sydney is much (much) better than last time I visited. Is an all craft beer pub now. Belgian Beer Cafe is much (much) worse than last time I visited. Has gotten rid of 80% of the beer selection.

Any SydGAF suggestions for craft beer joints? Already have a few leads.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss Destiny is great. It's great. The mobs reappear a little too quickly when you are going it alone but I can see why they come back quick if you have 4 or 5 people in your area.

The ambient MP is great. Pretty awesome to stroll into a new area to find some people trying to take down a gigantic enemy and you can just walk in and help them out.

IVE NEVER PLAYED AN MMO SO DONT MAKE FUN OF ME >_<

Once you get about 2 hours into it, 5 or so levels, it really clicks. The combat feels amazing and the sound design is the best in any game I've ever played. Insanely good. Outdone themselves on that front. Game looks amazing too, art design is brilliant and the level design is also really well done.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss Destiny is great. It's great. The mobs reappear a little too quickly when you are going it alone but I can see why they come back quick if you have 4 or 5 people in your area.

The ambient MP is great. Pretty awesome to stroll into a new area to find some people trying to take down a gigantic enemy and you can just walk in and help them out.

IVE NEVER PLAYED AN MMO SO DONT MAKE FUN OF ME >_<

Once you get about 2 hours into it, 5 or so levels, it really clicks. The combat feels amazing and the sound design is the best in any game I've ever played. Insanely good. Outdone themselves on that front. Game looks amazing too, art design is brilliant and the level design is also really well done.

I am so keen :D Already pre-ordered a copy through OGS when they had a flash sale.

r1chard

Yeah I'm booked in for Monday morning. Still haven't found a mechanic I can trust though.
Yeah, my car's due for its first service and I don't know where to take it. I'm tempted to take it back to the dealer - sure the price will be inflated but at least they will know what they're doing :(

(this isn't my first car - my previous Renault was always serviced by Alpine Affair in Ringwood and they're great but I don't know what they'd make of my Mitsubishi)

Ingram

Mario land is god tier.
The only Mario game I've finished was nsmb on the DS. Before that I had played Sunshine. Don't really have fond memories of either game. I do find it hard to resist the charm of the latest Mario games from Galaxy onwards. I really should think about playing some of those.

Dryk

All that Skylanders shit is going straight to ebay if I manage to get this deal. Drop the cost even further.
Then you can use it to buy a hard-drive to store the free MK8 game on because you skimped on the internal memory :p

Mario land is god tier.
I'm glad I got it for free, because otherwise I never would have realised how good it is. Started to drag in the (last) last World but that's partially because it has so many fucking levels.

I liked it so far. It does look like a PS3 game after playing Wolfenstein and BF Hardline.
I'd sort of believe that was an Alpha if it was branched off weeks or months ago. ie Bungie having a team working on polishing the demo, while the rest worked on finishing the main game.

That's what I'm hoping because it looks like a pretty PS3 game right now. A good game, just a bit flat looking, flat sounding and comparing to the other 30fps game I'e played on the system, ACIV, it looks like its sub 30.

And the voice over guy in MP sounds like they roped in an English tourist off the streets of Bellevue.

So I will be getting both games.

What are you talking about? The game looks incredible, framerate is solid and if you give it time, you'll probably like the gameplay too. No way can anyone say it's a PS3 game.

The voice over is bland, yes. Music suits the open world wilderness and it's just an alpha, can't really ask for everything to be included.

Ingram

Then you can use it to buy a hard-drive to store the free MK8 game on because you skimped on the internal memory :p

I already have a 500gb Verbatim USB powered drive I can use. I'd love the black one though. Either way 32gb isn't going to last much if Nintendo do more d/l promotions (I'd never pay for digital).

What are you talking about? The game looks incredible, framerate is solid and if you give it time, you'll probably like the gameplay too. No way can anyone say it's a PS3 game.

The voice over is bland, yes. Music suits the open world wilderness and it's just an alpha, can't really ask for everything to be included.

I didn't say I didn't like it, otherwise I wouldn't have said I was going to get it- the single player is exactly the sort of game I'm looking for.
I said there were issues, possibly alpha issues. There are still 3 months till release so most of those will probably be addressed. Assuming they branched the demo off a while back, the final game could be in much better position when it ships.

The lighting little a little over exposed and the audio mix was flat- there was not much dynamic range- the different between loudest and softest sounds (not as bad as the squashed mess that Halo 4's final mix was). I didn't say anything against the music, which is great, making Marty O'Donnell's firing painful.

By way of illustration, Halo:CE ran at about 15 frames a second when it was shown at E3 2001 and shipped 6 months later running a smooth 30. It's not a miracle, just what happens between alpha and gold.

Ingram

Does taking screenshots on the PS4 work like taking screens in Wipeout on the Vita did. That is it applies some nice aliasing and post processing effects so you can pretend the game looks better than it does.

Those Destiny screens look too smooth.

Does taking screenshots on the PS4 work like taking screens in Wipeout on the Vita did. That is it applies some nice aliasing and post processing effects so you can pretend the game looks better than it does.

No the opposite. Makes them look way worse and adds compression for the most part. Also removes post-processing in some games which really makes them look bad.

That's why removing the HDCP was a big deal so people can use their capture devices directly onto the feed.

Destiny does look really polished though!

Danoss

Any SydGAF suggestions for craft beer joints? Already have a few leads.

My house. I have some old beer in the second fridge that I brewed years ago and haven't thrown out, but should. There are board games to make up for this, which is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Had no idea you were heading here until now. You're mean. :p

hidys

So after seeing Xenoblade Chronicle X at the Electronic 3 I have decided to purchase its predecessor.

What is the best way to do that? So far it seems like I'll just have to pay through the nose for an eBay copy, but if I would like to avoid that if possible.

So after seeing Xenoblade Chronicle X at the Electronic 3 I have decided to purchase its predecessor.

What is the best way to do that? So far it seems like I'll just have to pay through the nose for an eBay copy, but if I would like to avoid that if possible.

Go back in time and buy it cheaper.

The game is super smooth and super pretty. Day and night cycle is very well implemented.

I was certain the Destiny announcer was
Peter Dinklage
. Now it's confirmed.

If you have any friends in the UK, get them to hunt around for you. Argos over there recently has been selling copies of the limited edition with the red Wii classic controller pro at £24.99 (less than $50 AUD, which is a steal). Their website doesn't have any available for delivery, though apparently it's still able to be found in stores.

And if they do find a copy....get them to buy me one too.

Rizzi

I started playing Wonderful 101.
I know everyone says it's amazing, but I just don't get it.
The screen is super cluttered, I can't tell what is going on, and drawing the attacks with the right analogue stick is weird.
Am I nuts?

Jintor

The screen is super cluttered, I can't tell what is going on, and drawing the attacks with the right analogue stick is weird.
Am I nuts?

No, it's got an incredibly high difficulty curve I would say.

Think of the attacks on the right analogue stick more like SF inputs - straight line, quarter circle forward, dragonpunches, whatever helps you out.

Jintor

But I'm terrible at fighting games. :p

Drop it to easy if you feel like it, in Kamiya games the first time through is always a walkthrough/learning experience to get a full toolkit and learn how to play basically. Don't worry too much about doing crap.

Finally hit the point in this cold where I carry a roll of toilet paper around me all day long. My fucking nose feels like sandpaper.

Fecking child only had it bad for like 12 hours and now he's happy and loud and needy as shit. Let me wallow in my bad healthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ffs >_<

OH ALSO

Asus 7 inch tablet is $94 at Harvey Norman pickup

Am I nuts?
Nah not nuts. Hated using the tabpad. Was generally nonplussed with the game after the first 3 hours or so.

Where are the xbone deals gone, scorp?

It's been like 4 days since the last one dood! Are you keen for any deal or ones better than the ZOMG WHAT A GREAT DEAL! ones I posted?

On a scale of *dead rising 3 is now coming to pc* to *ZOMG I GOTTA BUY THE NEW MADDEN ON MY XBOT MECHINNNNNEEEEEE BRAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!* how keen are you to grab an X1 asap?

It's been like 4 days since the last one dood! Are you keen for any deal or ones better than the ZOMG WHAT A GREAT DEAL! ones I posted?

On a scale of *dead rising 3 is now coming to pc* to *ZOMG I GOTTA BUY THE NEW MADDEN ON MY XBOT MECHINNNNNEEEEEE BRAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!* how keen are you to grab an X1 asap?

Don't play sports
Don't play racing games
Only sometimes play fighters
Think Halo is "OK"
Have a high end gaming PC featuring a moderate backlog

There is no logical reason for me to be buying one just yet. I'm not sure why I want one at all! I guess I'd try out some kinect fitness or something. And get a cheap copy of Ryse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom