• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

After using Windows 8.1 for a while. You are actually wrong.

With a mouse? I'm getting used to it with a touchscreen and trackpad, but I still can't stand it with mouse only. That said, I haven't installed Classic Shell yet. I imagine that would give me the Win 8 benefits without the annoyances.

Omikron

With a mouse? I'm getting used to it with a touchscreen and trackpad, but I still can't stand it with mouse only. That said, I haven't installed Classic Shell yet. I imagine that would give me the Win 8 benefits without the annoyances.

Yeah it's fine, you don't see the metro stuff unless you want to with 8.1 and I am actually kinda getting used to the big Win8 start pane thing, the search is tons better than 7.

I installed the 8.1 update and Classic Shell the day I installed Windows 8. The only way it even feels like Windows 8 now is that the charms menu occasionally appears and the lock screen is different. I only ever see the Start Screen if I press Shift+Start ... and I never press those two keys together.

Definitely recommend this setup. Windows 8 is great with it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Agreed with the Windows 8 love, Been using it for ages and yes, With a mouse.

Never had any issues with it at all. Some of the stuff is a little hidden compared to 7, But that's about it.

0 issues with the start menu, which i don't even see anymore with 8.1.

Can't see me going back to W7 just for a standard start menu, I really don't miss it at all.

Fredescu

Yeah it's fine, you don't see the metro stuff unless you want to with 8.1 and I am actually kinda getting used to the big Win8 start pane thing, the search is tons better than 7.

If you feel like using keyboard shortcuts it's fine, but when you want to do stuff with just the mouse because you're lazy there are a bunch of annoyances that didn't exist in previous versions. Out of the box anyway, I'm sure you can configure the OS to your liking to allow this, but when you use a bunch of different devices including having to troubleshoot other peoples, getting too far from out of the box can be annoying because you have a bunch of inconsistencies and forget how vanilla works. And having the same interface on server 2012 is annoying as shit. The new server manager is cool though.

Quasar

Never had any issues with it at all. Some of the stuff is a little hidden compared to 7, But that's about it.

Can't see me going back to W7 just for a standard start menu, I really don't miss it at all.

Yeah. Even with Vista all I used the start menu for was the search box. I really hope I can disable the pointless start menu that looks to be added back to Windows 9.

senahorse

Agree with all of this, funny thing, I used Windows 7 briefly the other day and it felt a little clunky in comparison, no way I would go back.

After using Windows 8.1 for a while. You are actually wrong.

I installed the 8.1 update and Classic Shell the day I installed Windows 8. The only way it even feels like Windows 8 now is that the charms menu occasionally appears and the lock screen is different. I only ever see the Start Screen if I press Shift+Start ... and I never press those two keys together.

Definitely recommend this setup. Windows 8 is great with it.

Yeah. Even with Vista all I used the start menu for was the search box. I really hope I can disable the pointless start menu that looks to be added back to Windows 9.

Agree with all of this, funny thing, I used Windows 7 briefly the other day and it felt a little clunky in comparison, no way I would go back.

It's a matter of getting used to it I guess. I'm happy to use win7 and see no need to upgrade to win8 even though I bought it 2 years ago :(

jambo

I understand that there were teething issues with Win8 and it took a bit of getting used to, but I never, ever got the crazy hate over the removal/update of the Start Menu.

Ever since Vista, I too have been using it for search and search alone. Why would you want to waste time going through program folders if you can just type the program name and hit Enter?

Not intended, just wanted to explain that it wasn't replaced because it died :)
Heh all good :)

You still have my address? I'll PM it anyway as I moved 2 years ago.

Rep is getting old, I thought he had posted it for sure. :p

I've been busy! Last week was hellish at work because we moved office, had end of the month stuff, full time admin went on 1 month personal leave, had to train up a temp AND had an inane complaint go directly to ministerial level (it was barely an issue but resulted in about 500 hours work for everyone underneath the minister all the way down to us, just typical squeaky wheel bullshit). Plus all the wild weather meant we had a ton of crisis stuff to deal with mid week. Insane weather down here!
Also went to see the parentals this weekend, which had a lot of prep time to get thhe PS3 and GT6 stuff setup for Dad. Went pretty well! He's not doing too good atm so he didn't want to have a go until after we left but had all the GT6 stuff setup and the wheel stuff worked fine (forgot to bring the detached power cord so had to use mum's laptop power cable lol).
GT6 is a TON of fun. Really enjoyed the couple of hours I played. Got through the first 2 Senna challenges but his F1 stuff was way beyond a first time players level lol. Ended up with an R32 Skyline and worked my way through some Novice cups.

I think I posted about the eBay Sunday deal on Twitter before we left, can't remember 100% though :)

SO

The Last of Us HD REMAKE INFINITY EDITION is $50 at Dick Smith!

Pretty sure I preordered it for 54 at dick or something when it first became available.

>:3

Will have to check reciepts. What's dick's policy on preorders changing price for the cheaper before release?

jambo

Pretty sure I preordered it for 54 at dick or something when it first became available.

Will have to check reciepts. What's dick's policy on preorders changing price for the cheaper before release?

Someone on OzBargain said you get the lowest price. Maybe give them a call?

kyser73

The Last of Us HD REMAKE INFINITY EDITION is $50 at Dick Smith!

OOO, I wonder if that's in-store as well as online...might have to take a wander in Stafford City when I get my hair cut for my job interview on Wednesday and check it out...

BTW - and recommendations on where I can buy replacement AC adapters for my DS4 charging cradle and a few other things? Best prices I've seen have been on ebay but if there are any retailers who sell the stuff I'd prefer to get them over the counter.

kyser73

That price converts back to 27 quid (yes, I'm still doing the conversion thing that all n00bs do)! Now that's the kind of price discounting I can get behind.

Fredescu

but I never, ever got the crazy hate over the removal/update of the Start Menu.
It was a central location for various tasks that have now been spread to the wind. As an example, Shutdown/Restart is now in a completely different location to Log Off/Switch User.

Ever since Vista, I too have been using it for search and search alone. Why would you want to waste time going through program folders if you can just type the program name and hit Enter?

It's an inefficient program launcher to be sure, but Win 8 doesn't improve anything in that regard. Except now your search takes up the whole screen which is a little annoying. I guess there could be a benefit if you have a lot of results, but an Explorer window is better for complex searches and it's at least resizeable.

Start Menu is a godsend for the incredibly diverse abilities of PC users out there.

Removing it isn't the end of the world but it's like making a lot of people start fresh from day one with no skills again.

I use the shit out of Start Menu but I'm sure I'd adapt within a few months.

Darren870

Anyone know a good store to buy an iPhone from? In Melbourne? Busted the missus phone this weekend...

Also. I want to stream movies from my qnap NAS server to my tv. Anyone have any recommendations on how to do this? Does the chromecast or any other device do this? Looking for something small and portable.

Cheers!

Shaneus

Anyone know a good store to buy an iPhone from? In Melbourne? Busted the missus phone this weekend...

Also. I want to stream movies from my qnap NAS server to my tv. Anyone have any recommendations on how to do this? Does the chromecast or any other device do this? Looking for something small and portable.

Cheers!
I love my WDTV Live device. It has it's quirks but overall it's a solid device for the price. I believe the Boxee *may* be better, but I'm pretty sure that was discontinued a while back.
I was investigating recently getting something to get around these little issue (like sorting, menu navigation speed, that sort of thing) but everything looks far more complicated to get up and running (particularly the Android-based devices). If anything, I'm probably going to settle for a second-hand AppleTV2 that I can jailbreak.

Quasar

Man. I continued to be annoyed at DSE discounting. Or rather the fact that they don't sell and also discount download codes.

Quasar

Cheers!

If you can I stall plex on your nas you certainly could use a chromecast. I just don't know what nas platforms have the plex addon. Of course you could install plex server on your pc and just to the nas for the library.

Looks like you can.

http://geekbeat.tv/set-plex-server-qnap-nas/

I take that back. The lack of transcoding on plex for arm qnap nases would mean it probably not work too well with a chromecast.

Darren870

If you can I stall plex on your nas you certainly could use a chromecast. I just don't know what nas platforms have the plex addon. Of course you could install plex server on your pc and just to the nas for the library.

Looks like you can.

http://geekbeat.tv/set-plex-server-qnap-nas/

I take that back. The lack of transcoding on plex for arm qnap nases would mean it probably not work too well with a chromecast.

I can't just browse to it using DLNA?

Quasar

I can't just browse to it using DLNA?

Plex Server does support dlna clients as a fallback, but I'm not sure if say the android or ios clients are dlna clients (which is what you use in conjunction with chromecast).

That said the main issue would be that your media probably isn't in a chromecast friendly format. Normally plex just transcodes on the fly, but a nas isn't beefy enough to do that.

jambo

Let's hope the WA government ignores this

http://games.on.net/2014/06/western...or-punishing-those-who-supply-them-to-minors/

The Western Australian Joint Standing Committee on the Commissioner for Children and Young People (aka the JSCCCYP, pronounced as written) has released The Commissioner for Children and Young People’s 2013 report on the Sexualisation of Children, proposing a variety of initiatives for action and research into the further protection of children in our western-most state. And along with additional parental education, regulation of child beauty pageants and better education for children, the committee believes Western Australia should ban R18+ video games.

http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/par...exualisation+report+-+June+2014+-+19+June.pdf

Quasar

I'm surprised SA hasn't already.

The argument is stupid, that game sales to minors are harder to police. No harder than video content.

Strange question, but does anyone know if it's possible to get a Costa Rican football jersey in Brisbane at all? Or failing that, some place that sells Costa Rican flags at a reasonable price?

Omikron

Strange question, but does anyone know if it's possible to get a Costa Rican football jersey in Brisbane at all? Or failing that, some place that sells Costa Rican flags at a reasonable price?

That would be tough, just checked their shirt manufacturer and it is Lotto. Maybe check with local distributer of Lotto stuff?

Thanks for the link jambo, will have to give them a call later. Neither of their stores is on this side of town, but hopefully I can get to one of them before the match against the Netherlands.

Stackboy

Just tweeted by AJ Maddah - Soundwave 2015 will be a 2 day event for each city. Adelaide/Melbourne for one weekend, Sydney/Brisbane the next. Ticket price will be the same as this year ($185), but a one day price will be available as well. ($120)

https://twitter.com/iamnotshouting

Since Blur cancelled their BDO tour because of how they were being treated, I tweeted my disappointment and he called me a hippy c-bomb, I take everything AJ says with a grain of salt.

Line fault on our internet connection, thanks to Lexi for the help working that one out! iinet should hopefully be out in a few days. Only getting 200kb/sec.

jambo

For anyone interested, Krtiz, Marsh and I will hopefully be playing some co-op in the new Free2Play title, theHunter.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253710/

oIQmK3S.jpg

The most realistic online hunting game ever produced. Experience the thrill of the hunt in huge realistic environments using everything from crossbows to state of the art bolt action rifles. Realistic animal behavior and persistent online features provides a living world where you can roam casually or compete with other players for glory and fame.

• Hunt 18 different species including Black Bear, Brown Bear, Moose, Whitetail Deer, Turkey, Pheasant, Coyote, Red Fox, Roosevelt Elk, Wild Boar, Red Deer, Roe Deer, Mule Deer, Blacktail Deer, Feral Hog, Mallard, Canada Goose & Cottontail Rabbit.
  • Explore 7 different huge environments with state-of-the-art graphics, complete with day cycle and weather effects.
  • Go hunting with your friends in multiplayer with up to 8 players.
  • Extensive online features. Increase your skills, see statistics and trophy shots.
  • Participate in competitions and leaderboards or take on challenging missions and achievements.

We'll probably hop in to Mumble and then kick off from there. 8 player co-op means you should get a spot if interested.

It's only a 1.8GB download, so get downloading to be ready for tonight.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I wonder how hard it is to make speaker and an LCD stand.

I'm thinking I need to erg my room up, Move the LCD as far back as I can to against the wall. Why do we not have a simple stand that I can put it on top of?! Instead it's all brackets and shit, I don't want to drill stuff into the wall.

Plus, Speaker stands. Would be good to shrink my desk down and remove the speakers from it, Why are stands so expensive. Come on, It's just some metal, fuck!

Time to buy some plywood and glue.

That's a whole $5 less than I paid :O

In other news, I was given a $25 gift voucher that's good for Dick Smith, Woolies, Masters and Big W. I'm torn between buying a Blu Ray copy of Frozen or putting it toward a purchase of Wind Waker HD.

Decisions, decisions...

Does it work at Target? Grab Mario Kart 8 for $57 and make WWHD your free game along with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom