• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Oz Comic Con in Melbourne, this was too nerdy even for me and i post on a video game forum!
I went a couple of years back, and found it was mostly stores selling nerdy junk, a bunch of 'celebrities' I wasn't familiar with (but usually knew the shows they were from once told) and a bunch of other stuff I didn't feel strongly enough about to really be interested.

Still had a great time, though!

Dimefan3

I went to Oz Comic Con in Melbourne, this was too nerdy even for me and i post on a video game forum!

I can relate - even though I'm a huge Anime fan I find some Anime cons can be a bit much for me. I remember one of the first ones I went to, I went to a screening of Haruhi Suzumiya (this was back when it was brand new) out of curiosity, and some hardcore Otaku behind me started complaining that it wasn't in 'Broadcast order' or something.

I had to leave the room before anyone could notice my muffled laughter.

I just went to install Payday 2.
That game is nearly 30 GB!

Downloaded it last night.

Went to play it today and it dies almost instantly. The fix is to delete the 'assets' folder which contains 99% of the data.

So yeah, not playing it tonight obviously.

Fucking PC gaming >_<

I have the worst luck with it.

EDIT: Also it's only like 7GB with another 4GB of DLC. You need to clear like 23GB of space initially though since they made the size more efficient in a later patch than launch.

I went to Oz Comic Con in Melbourne, this was too nerdy even for me and i post on a video game forum! It was my first geek convention and it took me 1 hr to get in, I have being to conventions before but they where Emergency services, technology, and employment related. Lot of hot chicks dressed up as Black Widow. Saw Arthur Darvill from Doctor Who and i felt sorry for him, audience kept asking repetitive Doctor Who questions so i walked out. In retrospect i should of stayed abit longer because Jennifer Morrison was next <3

You didn't get your picture taken with HODOR?

Jintor

I can relate - even though I'm a huge Anime fan I find some Anime cons can be a bit much for me. I remember one of the first ones I went to, I went to a screening of Haruhi Suzumiya (this was back when it was brand new) out of curiosity, and some hardcore Otaku behind me started complaining that it wasn't in 'Broadcast order' or something.

I had to leave the room before anyone could notice my muffled laughter.

hey man broadcast order is important for haruhi ;___;

sydgaf meetup before i fly away thoughts?

Rizzi

I booted up Sleeping Dogs for the first time since one of the DLC packs was released.
Still the best open world game with Dogs in the title. :p

Ooh I want to see that!

Sc64 pal was only released in aus (rumoured only 5k copies) so very limited quantities. Same for snow board kids 2.

Infact going on right now: http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/311001027544?nav=SEARCH

Holy shit. That's bonkers.

Just saw Frank. Weird movie. Kinda like a cross between Inside Llywen Davis and Scott Pilgrim.

Want to see that too. Your cross sounds so weird haha. But yeah it definitely sounds weird. Michael Fassbender in a giant bobble head in a band. Still haven't seen Inside Llewyn Davis either :/

Danoss

Don't worry about renewing it. No reason for you to be paying for it when you don't use it. Thanks for all the time you've had it up though.

I honestly don't mind. AusGAF has been great to me in many ways and this is the least I could do as a thank you that is open to all. If it's getting use, that makes me happy and I will gladly continue to maintain it.

It is still getting used then? I was able to see traffic graphs for it but I'm seeing blank areas where I was certain there was activity. That's the only reason I asked, because I couldn't tell.

I do pop on there every now and then, but nowhere near as much as I used to.

Does anyone know how I can claim "stars" for my Wii U console on Club Nintendk Auatralia? I can't for the life of me find the card with the PIN on it anywhere in the box.

I bought Mario Kart, by the way. I'm not normally a fan of racing games, but I saw the free game deal and thought, why not? So I got a free physical copy of Mario Kart with my digital copy of Wind Waker.

What's this I hear about the system having trouble with USB powered drives? Also, is there some way, using homebrew powered chicanery, to transfer my US-region Wii data into my Australian Wii U?

Does anyone know how I can claim "stars" for my Wii U console on Club Nintendk Auatralia? I can't for the life of me find the card with the PIN on it anywhere in the box.

I bought Mario Kart, by the way. I'm not normally a fan of racing games, but I saw the free game deal and thought, why not? So I got a free physical copy of Mario Kart with my digital copy of Wind Waker.
There should be a small red and white card with the PIN in the box, which also gives you some basic directions. If it's not there, then complain to the store you got it from, since the only way you can claim that free game is to register MK8 properly on Club Nintendo.

What's this I hear about the system having trouble with USB powered drives?
The USB ports don't provide a lot of power. If you're using an external HDD that has its own power plug, you're fine, but you'll need a Y-cable for one without its own power source.

Also, is there some way, using homebrew powered chicanery, to transfer my US-region Wii data into my Australian Wii U?
There's no way that you can transfer US to Australia that I'm aware of.

There should be a small red and white card with the PIN in the box, which also gives you some basic directions. If it's not there, then complain to the store you got it from, since the only way you can claim that free game is to register MK8 properly on Club Nintendo.

The USB ports don't provide a lot of power. If you're using an external HDD that has its own power plug, you're fine, but you'll need a Y-cable for one without its own power source.

There's no way that you can transfer US to Australia that I'm aware of.
I was asking about the console itself. I registered Mario Kart with no problems.

Thanks for the rest of the info. I might have to hit up Dick Smiths for a Y cable.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Anyone watching the tour?

Exciting being in England! Haven't been able to watch the last year or three due to not having a tv or aerial, but I'm excited to watch again!

Rahk

I honestly don't mind. AusGAF has been great to me in many ways and this is the least I could do as a thank you that is open to all. If it's getting use, that makes me happy and I will gladly continue to maintain it.

It is still getting used then? I was able to see traffic graphs for it but I'm seeing blank areas where I was certain there was activity. That's the only reason I asked, because I couldn't tell.

I do pop on there every now and then, but nowhere near as much as I used to.
Marsh got a server for him and his MMO friends, as well as for Dota, so we've (the Dota players) just been switching between the two whenever there seems to be an issue with a server. I think for the most part we've primarily been on Marsh's, so it's not going to be a problem if you don't renew it. Thanks for the offer and keeping it up for so long though.

Danoss

If my server is the backup, down it goes.

Add I said it's still got a while to go, but I thought I'd ask ahead of time. It'll remain for another 2 and 1/2 months before the subscription expires.

Anyone watching the tour? Exciting being in England!
Watched a little bit after the football this morning. 1) Why the heck is it in England? I don't recall ever seeing it there before, and 2) What is the deal with the people crowding the road so much the cyclists have to dismount and walk through the crowds? Shameful display there, IMO.

Rizzi

Man, I sure wish I had a controller I could use to play The Witcher 2.
My 360 controller appears to shuffled off this mortal coil.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Watched a little bit after the football this morning. 1) Why the heck is it in England? I don't recall ever seeing it there before, and 2) What is the deal with the people crowding the road so much the cyclists have to dismount and walk through the crowds? Shameful display there, IMO.
Didn't see number 2, god damn. Will watch tonight after the f1s, managed to fall asleep lastnight with 30km to go... woke up today to sbs replaying the last 25km, enjoyable! but that ending :( hope everyone's ok.

markot

Banned
If they cant burst through a crowd hulk style they should give their drugs back and go home in shame.

Also Bob's Burgers is my new pick for comedy of funny.

Darklord

Banned
For anyone that's traveled in Europe if I take a plane from Berlin to Rome will I need to arrive 3 hours early and do through customs and everything? I need to take a train from Hamburg to Berlin then fly to Rome. It's only a 2 hour flight but it is between countries so I don't know...

hey it's markot
where have you been you dirty sod
bob's burgers is good
I just finished Season One of Broad City. It got more consistent towards the end.

3 hours seems excessive darklord, even between countries.
But I'm basing that on nothing but my own opinion so don't listen to me

Jezabel

Hey ausgaf!

I recently moved from Melbourne to Sydney for work (navy). Currently living near parramatt, anyway what are some experiences my wife and I should get into? Already had a blue mountains walk firmly in mind.

legend166

Hey ausgaf!

I recently moved from Melbourne to Sydney for work (navy). Currently living near parramatt, anyway what are some experiences my wife and I should get into? Already had a blue mountains walk firmly in mind.

Blue Mountains
Palm Beach
Ferry from Circular Quay to Manly
Hunter Valley
Kangaroo Valley

Arksy

Looks like reading all those dusty law tomes has caught up with me so I need to get my first ever pair of glasses. Does anyone here know a good retail store to go get them from? (I hear that getting them online is far cheaper but I have nfi about size and style) Any help would be very much appreciated!

Dead Man

Looks like rewarding all those dusty law tomes has caught up with me so I need to get my first ever pair of glasses. Does anyone here know a good retail store to go get them from? (I hear that getting them online is far cheaper but I have nfi about size and style) Any help would be very much appreciated!

Spec savers. They don't have a huge range, but they are cheap as hell and often have good deals on two pairs or other specials. Also, pay attention to the frame sizes, they will be marked on the inside of the arms of the glasses. Frames that are too small will not only look silly, they will probably hurt your head after a couple days.

After you have a cheap pair you can start looking at the 600 dollar frames like me :(

Arksy

Spec savers. They don't have a huge range, but they are cheap as hell and often have good deals on two pairs or other specials. Also, pay attention to the frame sizes, they will be marked on the inside of the arms of the glasses. Frames that are too small will not only look silly, they will probably hurt your head after a couple days.

After you have a cheap pair you can start looking at the 600 dollar frames like me :(

Excellent. Thanks. I have no idea what I'm doing with glasses so chances are I'll be putting them on upside down for a few days.

Spec Savers are also awesome about giving you an eye test and buying your glasses online, from my experience. Been using them through 3 different towns now and they have luckily all had really nice staff :)

We will probably end up buying the boys glasses from them since they have been so nice, will be a more cathartic experience for him to buy them in a shop than wait for them in the post lol

Fredescu

Hey ausgaf!

Car or no car?

Eat at Cabramatta.
Hire a house boat on the Hawkesbury (when it's warmer maybe).
Your normal Blue Mountains trip would be via the Great Western Highway, but don't neglect to do it at least once via Bells Line of Road. It's a very nice drive, and you can stop and pick some fruit at Bilpin if that's your thing.
If Kangaroo Valley is within reach, also check out Stanwell Tops, Mount Keira, Kiama (blowhole), Gerringong and Gerroa.
Jervis Bay is awesome if you can go even further. Point Perpendicular, Hyams Beach, Green Patch, so on.

Darren870

Anyone in VIC ever see a concert at Hanging Rock? Specifically had lawn section / GA? Wonder what the view is like and if its worth it.

Looks like reading all those dusty law tomes has caught up with me so I need to get my first ever pair of glasses. Does anyone here know a good retail store to go get them from? (I hear that getting them online is far cheaper but I have nfi about size and style) Any help would be very much appreciated!

Shop around. While Specsavers can get you some stuff very cheaply, if you've got private health insurance then you're going to be able to find a no-gap deal that your insurance will fully cover anyway, regardless of where you go (except maybe OPSM, they tend to be on the pricy side). If you're with Bupa for your health insurance, definitely give the Bupa Optical a shot, since you'll get an additional discount off the frame in addition to your health fund coverage.

I would suggest you do consider Specsavers for your eye test though. The optometrist is likely to be younger there, and will be more up to date with recent developments. Specsavers also tend to be better equipped, doing things like retinal photography for free as part of the service.

Shaneus

Great find Shaneus, glad to see they finally made this happen!
via someone on FB. Can't take all the credit! I'm just waiting to get a notice to take down the uploaded video of the Mr. Whippy Grand Prix on my channel (which has been up for several years now). Surprised with how much they've uploaded, though. Very impressive.

Champagn Sketch Comedy!
*champagne. You're already spelling like an American ;)

Edit: Holy shit, they have the full versions of both Olden Days and Bargearse. Wow.

I would seriously pay $10 right now to go up 10 levels in Payday 2. I seriously would do it. It would save me what, 5 hours? I just want some decent weapons/armor to make the heists more fun! I like fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom