• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

If it's of any use, here's my BGG collection. Looking at that list, it needs some updating to add more games and do correct ratings on them.

Note that BGG has a point scale right next to where you enter in the score. It's not arbitrary by any means. Look for the 'i' logo—it only appears when entering in a score—and hover over it to see what I mean.

On the same topic: Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition is up for funding on Kickstarter with 7 days to go. Vlaada (the designer) is awesome, this game is awesome and you should totally get it. This release includes more goodies to improve upon it in a number of ways. Even though I already own the base game, this edition is good enough value that it's still worth picking up.

radaxian

Got At the Gates of Loyang on sale from Games Paradise when they used to do good sales. I have only played 2p with my wife and she loves it. I hear on BGG that's the best number of players anyway. I have only played Agricola and Le Harve once and they were fine but I have enough Euro games as is and none surpass frowny King Phillip's Caylus.

Yes I got it cheap somewhere too, probably from them. They had a weekly weekend sale thing a couple of years ago from memory. That's where I got Eketorp which I ended up liking quite a bit.

Kritz

Banned
Man I'm like 6 eps behind on thumbs, at this point I'll probably just skip the ones I missed.

These weeks I barely get the bombcast done before the next episode, and that shit's an hour shorter than it used to be.

If it's of any use, here's my BGG collection. Looking at that list, it needs some updating to add more games and do correct ratings on them.

Note that BGG has a point scale right next to where you enter in the score. It's not arbitrary by any means. Look for the 'i' logo—it only appears when entering in a score—and hover over it to see what I mean.

On the same topic: Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition is up for funding on Kickstarter with 7 days to go. Vlaada (the designer) is awesome, this game is awesome and you should totally get it. This release includes more goodies to improve upon it in a number of ways. Even though I already own the base game, this edition is good enough value that it's still worth picking up.

Wooden case looks badass!
cf15319d04327bff15f0cee6a9d0dada_large.png

It sure does!

I'd love to own that, but there is no way I can justify the price. Especially when there is a new sub-faction coming out in Warmachine next month that I'd really like to buy.

Yeah boardgame kickstarters are really pricey I've noticed, overseas postage doesn't help!

Actually the Dungeon Lords one is really good because the base game retails for ~$75 here and the expansion for $~50 so you are getting both those plus the Kickstarter stuff for $10 cheaper posted.

But I already have the base game.... and I am trying not to be tempted.... and have spent that money on the new Infinity starter which is an amazing anime (ghost in the shell) x mass effect scifi skirmish game.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/infinity/

Danoss

Yeah boardgame kickstarters are really pricey I've noticed, overseas postage doesn't help!

Oh, I only meant the limited edition wooden box set. As dishwasherlove said, and I thought I mentioned in my earlier post, the non-limited version is excellent value. I've got the base game and it's better value for me to get the anniversary box than just the extras I don't already have. Might as well sell my base game afterwards and recoup a little more money too.

But I already have the base game.... and I am trying not to be tempted.... and have spent that money on the new Infinity starter which is an amazing anime (ghost in the shell) x mass effect scifi skirmish game.

Gah, I dismissed an email from Underground Wargamers advertising their $99.95 pre-order, misreading it and thinking it was a board game (the email said 'boxed game').

Infinity has interested me for quite a while now. One of my gaming buddies mentioned they're working on a new edition of the rules, so I was waiting on that before giving it a more serious look. $100 for models from two factions, one of which is Nomads and caught my attention the most previously, might just get me to bite. Batal Games has it for $97.20 and I'll be grabbing some Cephalyx from them in August. I'm very tempted to throw this on top as well.

The terrain requirements for Infinity is the real killer. I love terrain, I enjoy making it, but damn if it doesn't need a lot of it. Finicky rules sound a little irritating, but I can't speak from experience on that. What I have seen looks impressive, cool, and engaging. It's quite different than the other two miniatures games I play: Warmachine/Hordes and Malifaux.

Yeah I haven't played a game yet but after a heap of reading Infinity seems really interesting. I think you need a regular club to get some decent terrain and tables. I like the reactionary actions mean you don't spend your opponents turn twiddling your thumbs. I love that all the rules are free and in an easily accessible wiki. And the minis are amazing.

Danoss

Yeah I haven't played a game yet but after a heap of reading Infinity seems really interesting. I think you need a regular club to get some decent terrain and tables. I like the reactionary actions mean you don't spend your opponents turn twiddling your thumbs. I love that all the rules are free and in an easily accessible wiki. And the minis are amazing.

I, too, like the action/reaction things that the game uses. I like that even if you ignore that part of the game, it still seems to play quite quickly too. Death seems to come rather quickly as they seem quite fragile—poke your head around the wrong corner and you could see it blown right off.

Malifaux sits in the middle of these two types, where I activate a mini, then my opponent does and continues back and forth like that. It's still quite different, considering how VPs are earned and that everything of yours could be dead and still win the match. I'm still trying to get the multiple facets of that game permeate my brain and to really grok it.

Most of the gaming I do is at a friends house. He has extensive amounts of terrain and I've gathered some bits and bobs (mostly resin casts) as well as crafting my own. There's just not much of the correct type of terrain that the game really wants. The main issue is it's just more time consuming to make, that's all. If I pick up some of their minis, I'll have to go pick up a bunch of foamcore to start making some buildings. I've got a rabbet cutter to make the corner joints easier and more aesthetically pleasing, which is probably the worst part taken care of.

Plast Craft Games stuff looks like good value, I'm just not sure how sturdy it is. It's probably okay, and it's cheap enough to give a try. That box says it comes with some scenery in the box, but I have no idea what that means. For a test game, I'm sure tupperware containers and other similar items will do the trick if need be.

hamchan

Can't believe a commercial airline can get shot down by a missile. Twice in one year for Malaysia Airlines holy crap. Russia in big shit after this. 27 Australians on board.

Gazunta

I hope my meager backing alleviates some of the stress on your F5 finger.
This has been my first Kickstarter backing. AusGAF represent!

Yay, thank you! AusGAF is bestGAF :p

The KS's going pretty well so far, Gaz - 40% funded by day 3.

It's interesting from my end, because my game has a pretty similar scope in terms of how far along it is in development and what it needs to go from pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha* into a completed project. Although NPG certainly had a bit more push in early marketing, being present at auspax and whatnot, although who knows how much of that turns into tangible kickstarter backers.

* I like that both NPG and CBD both have no confidence in the state of design they're in.

Thanks dude. Today's the day where things traditionally slow down and we'll see how things pan out in a week or two from now. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

And I can tell you if it wasn't for a five minute, literally last-minute-of-AusPAX conversation between a member of the press and the team that just happened because the journo just happened to be walking by the booth that the Kickstarter would have completely crashed and burned already. It's amazing how much a chance connection can change things.

jambo

Can't believe a commercial airline can get shot down by a missile. Twice in one year for Malaysia Airlines holy crap. Russia in big shit after this. 27 Australians on board.

Horrible news =[

My parents are flying Malaysia Airlines home from Europe in a week and a half...

=/

Stackboy

I'm away all weekend and get back when the Destiny Beta goes down for 2 days. Going to have to live vicariously through you guys and video footage for a few days.

Wolf: New Order on sale for $24 with a voucher on Green Man apparently.

I want it, and the price is good... but my backlog is huge, and it will get cheaper. Decisions decisions.

$385 for a PS4 and NBA 2K14 on Sunday (as long as Dick Smith don't put up the prices!)

GMG sale, use P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9 and GMGAU-3J9MF-MUINW coupons
Wolfenstein: The New Order for $24
Return to Castle Wolfenstein for $1.92
Wolfenstein 3D for $1.37
Doom 3 for $1.75
Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil for $1.75
Doom 3 BFG Edition for $7.49

Danoss

I can't believe I forgot to share this. Something that is surely appealing to all you mums and dads. Grandmother Fish is a book for teaching evolution to preschoolers. It's on Kickstarter now and only 4 days remain. I'm sorry I didn't share this earlier to accommodate family budgets of those who may be interested.

Jonathan Tweet, the man behind this, is also a game designer. He was lead designer of Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition, Over the Edge, Ars Magica and, most recently, 13th Age. His passion for this is right up there with gaming. Looking at what he has contributed to 13th Age, which I think is a brilliant game, there is no way this could be anything less than great and an enjoyable learning experience for kids.

Now, I know that the shipping cost makes Grandmother Fish an expensive book, but a number of additional books can be added without increasing the shipping cost. I don't have children, but some of my friends do. If any of you would like to pick this up, I am more than willing do go in on it with someone and split the cost of shipping. If more are interested, we could decrease that cost even more. Let me know if this is helpful and I can PayPal some money across.

Fredescu

I'll buy it. Anyone else want a copy? I have some spare AusPost bags, I'll have to make sure they're big enough for the book, but if they are I'm happy to ship other copies interstate gratis (for the Sydney to you leg anyway).

Yeah that looks awesome Danoss! I'm in for a $25 copy from the 4 pack, without a doubt.

I don't think our religious school would have much on evolution at a young level, despite their general coolness with bible stuff :)

Fredescu

Yeah that looks awesome Danoss! I'm in for a $25 copy from the 4 pack, without a doubt.

To clarify, the $25 international shipping is a flat rate for up to nine books, so it's not really a four pack we're splitting. We're splitting the shipping portion. So with three of us in, they are $33.33 each. Once we peer pressure Omi into buying, it will be $31.25 each.

Danoss

To clarify, the $25 international shipping is a flat rate for up to nine books, so it's not really a four pack we're splitting. We're splitting the shipping portion. So with three of us in, they are $33.33 each. Once we peer pressure Omi into buying, it will be $31.25 each.

Actually, he's right. I totally missed the $100 tier. Four books, no shipping cost.

Fredescu

Actually, he's right. I totally missed the $100 tier. Four books, no shipping cost.

What the shit. I even checked again before posting that, because I wouldn't want to look stupid posting something that was wrong now would I. Apparently CTRL+F Four was too hard.

So that's pretty cool. And means we have one spot open in the four pack I guess?

Danoss

What the shit. I even checked again before posting that, because I wouldn't want to look stupid posting something that was wrong now would I. Apparently CTRL+F Four was too hard.

So that's pretty cool. And means we have one spot open in the four pack I guess?

Haha, it happens. I didn't even notice until Rep mentioned it.

And yep, one spot left. I'm sure someone will take it up. If that doesn't happen, it's better value to just get the four pack anyway and figure out what to do with the spare one later.

Why is that?

because. that's why.

I have determined this weekend will be the weekend I start playing Ground Zeroes properly. Destiny Beta? pffft. I don't think I could deal with having it wrenched away for a6 or so weeks so I'll just wait.

I should also grab Strider while I wipe the dust off the PS4.

Actually the Dungeon Lords one is really good because the base game retails for ~$75 here and the expansion for $~50 so you are getting both those plus the Kickstarter stuff for $10 cheaper posted.

Uhh hey dishwasher, this is interesting, didn't know AusGAF liked tabletop.
I have a heap of Infinity and there is enough terrain in our house for 2 tables. i think my housemate has spent around $600 on terrain.

Where do you reside in AUS?

Well if you visit up to Brisbane (also Danoss etc. anyone elese)
Let me know and happy to have you swing by for a day of tabletop :D and/or drinking....:p

I lived in Brisbane and used to play Mordheim at Good Games in Spring Hill. Heaps of good gaming clubs up that way which makes me a little jealous. All my friends in Melbourne play Warhammer Fantasy but I think I'll be able to twist a few arms to Infinity given the buy in is less than $100 for a force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom