• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to read a glasses prescription? I'm finding it really hard to figure out if the CYL/Axis numbers apply to both eyes or just to my right eye?

Glasses prescriptions leave any parts which aren't used/needed blank rather than putting in a number which might be misinterpreted, so it'll be just for your right eye.

Do you have your PD? Without that, the prescription is useless except if you go to the store you got it from in the first place. If you're needing to read your own prescription I imagine you might be trying to buy online, so if you don't have it go back to the store and demand it. They *have* to give it to you.

I think you either wear glasses or you don't. I don't think you can 'wear glasses more'. "Yo, yo, you be really wearin' them glasses. Them glasses getting worn! And they know they gettin' worn."

Or do you mean that they wear them for a greater durations that anyone else? "Them Chinese never take them glasses off. Sleeping, swimming, fighting, during an operation. they never take them off."

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I think you either wear glasses or you don't. I don't think you can 'wear glasses more'. "Yo, yo, you be really wearin' them glasses. Them glasses getting worn! And they know they gettin' worn."

Or do you mean that they wear them for a greater durations that anyone else? "Them Chinese never take them glasses off. Sleeping, swimming, fighting, during an operation. they never take them off."

Not true. For instance reading glasses. Perhaps Chinese people read more, therefore they wear theirs more.

Danoss

Who is the person I am sending the money to for Grandmother Fish? I'm assuming it's Fred, since he's the man with the postal satchels. If it is, let me know where to send it and I'll get it right over.

Fredescu

It will be me Danoss, I haven't bought it yet, but I will today. Don't send money until I know how much it's going to cost in AUD. Once I have an amount on my CC, I'll let you know.

We still have one spot free. Jables? Omi? Any other parents want an "evolution for pre schoolers" book? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1849623603/grandmother-fish-a-childs-first-book-of-evolution

Looks like it's out in March 2015 now. We're going to order the four pack. I'm in Sydney, but if you're interstate I can send it to you free because I have some spare Auspost satchels.

Gazunta

Getting up, choosing a disc, putting a disc into a machine and saying "Until I choose another disc this machine shall do nothing but play this disc" and then sitting back down is too retro even for me. Streaming everything foreverrrrrrr

Speaking of which, thanks to them uploading it all on YouTube I have taken to watching an episode or two of FrontLine every night. Usually the wife's asleep by the time I get around to it but last night she watched it for the first time.

"What's this?"
"It's FrontLine, it's a show about how current affairs shows are made"
"When was it made?"
"...mid '90s I think"
"It looks like everyone is from the '70s"

...GOD DAMN IT NOW I CAN'T UNSEE IT. It really does not hold up visually at all :/

Fuck fuck fuck forgot that free glasses deal from ClearlyContacts >_<

Fuck fuck fuck forgot that $10 contact deal at OPSM or where ever it was >_<

For anyone interested, you can get Twin Peaks Blu-ray (released next week) for ~$82AU delivered, for reference JB will be selling exclusively for $149.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H9BFV98/
So fucking hyped for this. Hope the image is crisp as FUCK.

DVDs are the Chevy Chase of home media.
Truth. That media has aged quite far now, to the point where it's an appealing filter of sorts!

Everything gets cool at some point, just depends how long it takes to get there.

Getting up, choosing a disc, putting a disc into a machine and saying "Until I choose another disc this machine shall do nothing but play this disc" and then sitting back down is too retro even for me. Streaming everything foreverrrrrrr
That's why I've planned a day of leave to rip the blu rays into an appropriate format for Plex to stream it to me in bed! Yay!

UK does not work with AU apparently.
EU codes DO work with AU though for some odd reason.
Dick Smith currently have $50 PSN cards for $45 instore. Could grab one of those for the next time Sony does a discount on the webstore for PS+.
Thanks reptilescorpio

I'll be getting my PS4 soon, is Amazon the cheapest place to buy Destiny Digital Guardian Edition?
Amazon has it for US$89.99 while the Australian PSN Store has it for a whopping AUD$129.95.
I assume the game is not region locked?
Never purchased games from Amazon before but I assume it will be fine as long as I change my billing address to somewhere in US?

Arksy

Glasses prescriptions leave any parts which aren't used/needed blank rather than putting in a number which might be misinterpreted, so it'll be just for your right eye.

Do you have your PD? Without that, the prescription is useless except if you go to the store you got it from in the first place. If you're needing to read your own prescription I imagine you might be trying to buy online, so if you don't have it go back to the store and demand it. They *have* to give it to you.

Thanks! Yeah I have my PD, and yeah trying to buy glasses online. I got a cheaper pair for from specsavers (so I could see properly) and my sister reckons it makes me look about 600 years old so I'm looking for alternatives. :p

Clearly Contacts and Zenni seem to be very cheap. Anyone got any good websites for them?

Quasar

I assume the game is not region locked?

With Playstation games are almost all region free, its just DLC thats locked in that the DLC needs to be from the same region as the game.

Never purchased games from Amazon before but I assume it will be fine as long as I change my billing address to somewhere in US?

Yeah. Putting my virtual US address as my first amazon address allowed it to work. Interestingly though while I can sign up for Prime and use video streaming I cannot sign up for the new Kindle subscription due to region issues.

Speaking of which, thanks to them uploading it all on YouTube I have taken to watching an episode or two of FrontLine every night. Usually the wife's asleep by the time I get around to it but last night she watched it for the first time.

"What's this?"
"It's FrontLine, it's a show about how current affairs shows are made"
"When was it made?"
"...mid '90s I think"
"It looks like everyone is from the '70s"

...GOD DAMN IT NOW I CAN'T UNSEE IT. It really does not hold up visually at all :/

Shot on Hi 8, then edited on tape then filmed with a film camera pointed at a TV monitor to make it look like film. This was before computers were fast and cheap enough to do this. I do remember D-Gen bought a really really early hard disc editing system to do off-line edits (you do your edit on a cheap system like VHS or U-Matic, write an Edit decision list and give it to a videotape tech to do the edit once you're finished.

The ABC had a hard-on for doing this in the mid-90's with Phoenix done the same way. So gritty.

so my internet was down all day so rather than play Destiny (which you can't play at all without a connection) I decided to look at Strider (which wouldn't go past the new game screen) and Ground Zeroes. I was able to play Ground Zeroes without internet but it took about 10 minute hung the screen of Snake while it realized there were no DNS servers before it gave me the option to play.

So it's kind of all right but kind of not. The sandbox stuff looks like a lot of fun. But the stealth is pure shit as it is now. And the following were not available in 1975, when the game was set:
walkmen, stereo bud headphones (there were mono ones though) and holes in your chest to plug in speakers.

I dunno if I'm super psyched for MGS V Phantom Pain or not but I will grab it when it comes out.

Don't like the stealth in MGSGZ? I felt the new mechanics were acceptable given how open the map is now. Many Metal Gear Solid purists play with the bullet-time detect thing turned off.

Don't like the stealth in MGSGZ? I felt the new mechanics were acceptable given how open the map is now. Many Metal Gear Solid purists play with the bullet-time detect thing turned off.

The stealth put the 'meh' in Metal Gear. Jumping into an armored car or AA gun was fun when shit hit the fan. "There's a guy on the anti aircraft gun shooting at us but nothing to see here. Back to base."

Gazunta

Shot on Hi 8, then edited on tape then filmed with a film camera pointed at a TV monitor to make it look like film. This was before computers were fast and cheap enough to do this. I do remember D-Gen bought a really really early hard disc editing system to do off-line edits (you do your edit on a cheap system like VHS or U-Matic, write an Edit decision list and give it to a videotape tech to do the edit once you're finished.

The ABC had a hard-on for doing this in the mid-90's with Phoenix done the same way. So gritty.

This should be made a federal offense and everyone who did it be punished retroactively, good Lord. Thanks for the background though, that was super interesting. I remember thinking it was pretty cool that Santo was the cameraman on it with his hi-tech handicam, but yeeesh.

Deeku

Thanks! Yeah I have my PD, and yeah trying to buy glasses online. I got a cheaper pair for from specsavers (so I could see properly) and my sister reckons it makes me look about 600 years old so I'm looking for alternatives. :p
I thought you got cool hip plastic frames??! How does that translate to 600yr old??

Is it me or do Chinese people wear glasses more than others?

Genuine question!
Based on what I can
't
see, probably!

Though everyone will start wearing glasses anyway since all them kids are glued to ipad screens at age 2+

Arksy

I thought you got cool hip plastic frames??! How does that translate to 600yr old??

That's what I thought! But noo...although my sister is weird and after asking a few of my other friends I found out that they're alright although a bit conservative (still no idea how I managed that even after asking for the hip ones :( - alas).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Had a amusing moment in my psych class today. Teacher was talking about false information on the internet.. and used the MMR vaccine hoax and it's alleged link to autism as a example.. as the teacher was taking a bit too long to get to the point, I yelled out "it's bullshit" and the teacher responded "yep, you are quite right"

Good times.

Vita 64GB mem cards for $85 posted with CTOYTASTIC coupon

Cheers! I have been trying to avoid spending money lately, but this was the cheapest I have seen them for us anyway :)

Hey Rep... that sale that would've gotten me a cheap 64GB Vita card... still on? Was that even a decent deal?

Just chiming in, but I think this deal was on the cheaper side as far as in Aus currency/shipping.

Cheers! I have been trying to avoid spending money lately, but this was the cheapest I have seen them for us anyway :)

Just chiming in, but I think this deal was on the cheaper side as far as in Aus currency/shipping.
Yeah cheapest before was around $100 AUD. $85 is a great price.

My Destiny beta playtime is 27 hours.

halp

Nearly 16 hours here but there would have been another 3 or so hours in the Tower :)

Had a good strike, initially with EatChildren and his mate before he disconnected and finished the majority of the strike with 2 randoms. Hope to earn the Axiom Bolt next time I play!

destinybeta_20140721217jgy.jpg

destinybeta_201407212hik53.jpg

Still having a ton of fun smashing spider tanks in the social events :)

Skyboxes look insanely good. Mesh well with the rest of the level geometry too.

I am really really impressed with the overall art direction and detail in Destiny (Beta or not :p). It does show Bungie is top tier and passionate about what they do.

Gazunta

Pics or it didn't happen

I was going to watch it but then I was flicking and Avengers came on so I left that on instead while I worked IRON MAN PEW PEW God that movie is the Citizen Kane of modern cinema

Darren870

Anyone in Melbourne listen to gold 104.3?

Was on this morning for a Girls Vs Boys trivia competition. Won $104.30 and will be on tomorrow to keep the juice running!

Ha!

Gazunta

Looking good Shaneus!

What was the taping like? Did Tony come out beforehand to warm up the crowd with some celebrity impressions or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom