• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mush

Hello my friends.

Is there any mail forwarders that operate out of Aus that deliver to NZ? I've got a few things that I want to buy but I don't want to have to pay out of my ass to get them here because they're very small envelope-sized things.

Or alternatively, would there be anyone here that would be able to act as a middleman for me?

Anyone in Brisbane who enjoys beer, I'd recommend picking up a couple of Birra Del Borgo Italian beers from the BWS on Albert St near Botanical Gardens. They are half price at the moment. They are nice... very nice!
Yeah, Cortigiana and Duchessa are quite good. My Antonia is really nice if they have it.

Oh yeah, it's IPA Day tomorrow, woo! Everyone make sure to drink an IPA.

r1chard

Oh yeah, it's IPA Day tomorrow, woo! Everyone make sure to drink an IPA.
I've switched to wine for a while. Had enough IPAs for this year ... well at least until the weather warms up again :)

So you might recall I broke my arm earlier this year. When I got back, I saw my GP and asked whether I should see a physio and he said "nah, don't bother". So I didn't. Three months later and my arm is not getting better any time soon so I go to a physio today and she ... had words to day about GPs. I'm now just hoping I don't have to undergo serious painful therapy involving saline/anesthetic/anti-inflammatory injections into my shoulder joint for something that should've been a simple recuperation.

Your music mix for today: Benji Vaughan mix 1 on soundcloud. Warning: might contain traces of psybient/psytrance :) (yes, sharing was inspired by this thread)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
My biggest concern this week is the inequality of chicken pieces.

Australia 9 for $9.95 - KFC Promotion.
New Zealand 5 for $9.95 - Gimme 5 KFC Promotion.

This is some racist shit, bros.

I've switched to wine for a while. Had enough IPAs for this year ... well at least until the weather warms up again :)
Winter just means switching to different styles of beer!

Done. Any particular one you recommend?
Feral - Hop Hog is always a winner. The IPAs from Mountain Goat and Little Creatures are both solid, if unadventurous. If you want something a bit different, you could try:
Oakham Ales - Citra (UK, should be available at some Dan Murphy's)
Brookes Beer - White IPA (made in Bendigo, not widely available)
Sierra Nevada - Ruthless Rye
Moon Dog - Jukebox Hero
Brew Dog - Punk IPA

Stackboy

In other news, there's a week left on the Ninja Pizza Girl Kickstarter and just over $10,000 to reach its target, please give it a look if you haven't already <3

Really hope the project makes it!

I played a shit load of Stunts, a similar game on PC.

The track editor was pretty cool, giving you near endless re-playability.

Also Don Mattrick was the lead designer on it...

Loved that game, making crazy tracks!

Been watching lots of pros playing Binding of Isaac the last few weeks and I've gotten back into it. Love me some random elements and learning which items are preferable. Rebirth is looking great too! Keen to see how the game plays with a pad, could never get Joy2Key working for me, although most people recommend keyboard play on PC anyway.

Also restarted Far Cry 3 on PC. That game is clearly made with console in mind, in regards to menu navigation etc. Considering playing it with a gamepad. I started it on PS3, through PS+, but the graphics were pretty rough and I got it for cheap on PC, along with Blood Dragon. Hope the rumours of a standalone Blood Dragon 2 are true,

The best game ever on Sega Megadrive was Road Rash 2, yeah? Yeah.

Gazunta

Yeah I can never be too mad at Don Mattrick, dude did Test Drive and Accolade's Comics too c'mon now

And Road Rash 2 on the MegaDrive was fucking amazing, but for me it'll always be about Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe.

Or maybe Skitchin'

Rlan

Turns out the guy who runs the gym I go to was a guy (GeneraL CyberFunK) I used to know from the Official Dreamcast Forums.

Small world.

/BrokenShenmueCases

Shaneus

Turns out the guy who runs the gym I go to was a guy (GeneraL CyberFunK) I used to know from the Official Dreamcast Forums.

Small world.

/BrokenShenmueCases
May or may not have read something similar to that effect on FB already ;)

Small world indeed!

Yeah I can never be too mad at Don Mattrick, dude did Test Drive and Accolade's Comics too c'mon now

And Road Rash 2 on the MegaDrive was fucking amazing, but for me it'll always be about Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe.

Or maybe Skitchin'
You know the dude who did the music for Skitchin' works for Witch Beam (aka Assault Android Cactus), yes?

Xbox One with Forza 5 for $399 posted

Playstation 4 for $468 posted

Pretty awesome to be sitting at work and purchase my PS+ PS4 games on the webstore, push them to the download queue, watch it go from 'waiting' to 'downloading' to 'ready'. Super handy. If work had wifi here I could stream the games from the PS4 to my Vita right now!

Nooooo
When I first saw the 4G icon on my phone last week (when it wasn't part of my plan) I thought my mobile service providers were doing it out of benevolence.
Turns out it isn't so.

I've been with liveconnected (Optus reseller, now owned by Vaya) for 2 years and my $12/month plan for ~$500 calls n texts and 1.5GB of data is really, really great value.
Over that time LC made my plan obsolete and it thankfully was grandfathered and I've been living the good life.
But now they're going to charge us a $9.90 fee p/m to stay on our old plans. :'(
Granting 4G service is to soften the blow.

I've just looked around and checked out the Whirlpool threads and I'm 99% sure it's still the best value plan out there at the moment funnily enough.

Since this could be argued to be only sorta kinda political, I feel ok about posting this in this thread.

http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2014/august/1406815200/malcolm-knox/supermarket-monsters?

An amazing comprehensive article about the Coles/Woolworths duopoly.

Thanks for linking this, was a good read.

Rt3Qweu.jpg

this is the second time this week someone stop me :(

Feral - Hop Hog is always a winner. The IPAs from Mountain Goat and Little Creatures are both solid, if unadventurous. If you want something a bit different, you could try:
Oakham Ales - Citra (UK, should be available at some Dan Murphy's)
Brookes Beer - White IPA (made in Bendigo, not widely available)
Sierra Nevada - Ruthless Rye
Moon Dog - Jukebox Hero
Brew Dog - Punk IPA

Cheers, I'll pick up what I can find in store. I do have a couple of Vale IPA's at home but just can't seem to finish them off.

Cheers, I'll pick up what I can find in store. I do have a couple of Vale IPA's at home but just can't seem to finish them off.
Check out specifically the Brookes White IPA and Oakham Citra if available. They're both pretty easy going as far as IPAs are concerned. The Brew Dog Punk IPA is quite bitter, but also very floral (at least the last one I had, from a can) so that's not a bad option either.

I'm probably going to have a Citra on tap later on actually, if Slowbeer makes good on its promise.

Well that looks gross.
It does.

Also, I'm hungry and it looks delicious.

Delicious and gross.

That KFC burger is a real mess. Didn't like it when I ate it, the conflicting sauces are just odd. All the additives in it though now have me craving it again >_<

Went and got a locally made bacon burger instead. Healthier! Yay!

Nooooo
When I first saw the 4G icon on my phone last week (when it wasn't part of my plan) I thought my mobile service providers were doing it out of benevolence.
Turns out it isn't so.

I've been with liveconnected (Optus reseller, now owned by Vaya) for 2 years and my $12/month plan for ~$500 calls n texts and 1.5GB of data is really, really great value.
Over that time LC made my plan obsolete and it thankfully was grandfathered and I've been living the good life.
But now they're going to charge us a $9.90 fee p/m to stay on our old plans. :'(
Granting 4G service is to soften the blow.

I've just looked around and checked out the Whirlpool threads and I'm 99% sure it's still the best value plan out there at the moment funnily enough.

Uh yeah that is insanely cheap, even at $22/month you greedy bastard!
Thanks for linking this, was a good read.

Xbox One with Forza 5 for $399 posted

Playstation 4 for $468 posted

Pretty awesome to be sitting at work and purchase my PS+ PS4 games on the webstore, push them to the download queue, watch it go from 'waiting' to 'downloading' to 'ready'. Super handy. If work had wifi here I could stream the games from the PS4 to my Vita right now!

For a moment I thought, "maybe I should buy an Xbox." Luckily they're sold out

Weren't they on catch of the day a few weeks ago?

Rizzi

Today I was looking at a slim vita. I sold my regular vita when they announced the slim was coming out here, and I really like the design of the slim. Then I realized it is $270 for the vita and no memory card. That's nearly as much as an Xbox One.

Today I was looking at a slim vita. I sold my regular vita when they announced the slim was coming out here, and I really like the design of the slim. Then I realized it is $270 for the vita and no memory card. That's nearly as much as an Xbox One.
All that says to me is that the Xbone is too expensive.

First day back at work after a week's break and the beautiful efficient time-saving spreadsheets I slaved for days over sat in exactly the same state I left them in with no updates. I don't know why I bother handing anything over to anyone ever.

Also, the dry winter air is making the skin on my knuckles peel and the skin underneath is coming up pink. Which would be fine... if I were white. It currently looks like I have the Michael Jackson skin disease.

My bad, Oakham Citra is a pale ale, not an IPA. Still a fucking great beer though.

First day back at work after a week's break and the beautiful efficient time-saving spreadsheets I slaved for days over sat in exactly the same state I left them in with no updates. I don't know why I bother handing anything over to anyone ever.
Pretty much. Spent the past few days at work poring over 500 floors worth of building plans trying to find errors with them. Fixed all but probably 5. Also, I have no idea what I'm doing in AutoCAD. (Thanks for that 'purge' tip, Marsh!)

Not really my job, but I hate seeing things not working.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys. So, I'm travelling to Australia next month and I plan to stay til Jan/Feb '15. And I think it would be a good idea to get a prepaid phone plan during this time.

I don't need much talk time, I never use more than 2h a month, but I want some included data which I'll use mostly for FB and Whatsapp. My current phone plan includes 500MB which I never exceed.
Can anyone here recommend a good carrier or a website where you can find offers and compare carriers?

Dead Man

Hey guys. So, I'm travelling to Australia next month and I plan to stay til Jan/Feb '15. And I think it would be a good idea to get a prepaid phone plan during this time.

I don't need much talk time, I never use more than 2h a month, but I want some included data which I'll use mostly for FB and Whatsapp. My current phone plan includes 500MB which I never exceed.
Can anyone here recommend a good carrier or a website where you can find offers and compare carriers?

Well, your first problem is that unlike most civilized places you buy a dollar amount of credit rather than an amount of talking time. Been a while since I used pre paid though, I'm sure some other members will be able to give you some tips.

Where are you going to be staying?

Stackboy

Seeing Guardians of the Galaxy tonight, trying not to hype it up, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Also, didn't realise PS+ games rolled over a few days ago, keen to play Fez again on another platform (plus that soundtrack is amazing).

Damn, at this rate I won't even need to buy an Xbox One if Sunset Overdrive hits PC as rumoured (as turns out decent).

Reminds me, I need to clear my backlog enough to get to Dead Rising 3 >.>

In other news: Proteus is awesome. Wandered around for about 2 hours last night on Vita. Really nice and relaxing. It's like a precursor to No Mans Sky kinda lol. Really love the environmental design.

I've got no experience with pre-paid but Aldi mobile have a month-to-month system where you get a good amount of credit and 1GB data for $30 on the biggest network in the land, Telstra.

Rizzi

I nearly bought a red 3ds from cash converters but it had no charger and a giant scratch in the top screen. Shame, $100 was a nice price.

MTE

Insurgency free weekend. CSGO Ausgaffers should jump on board. Great little mod polished to retail perfection.

Ooh! I'd be down.
I'm pretty sure this is a mod I played aaaages ago. I really enjoyed it, despite it being brutally "realistic". (This may have changed >_>)

senahorse

I want to get a tablet for reading PDF's any ideas?

I am thinking between a Galaxy Tab S or iPad air at this stage, but open to ideas. I want a really nice screen that's good for reading off.

Darren870

I ... can't really think of anyone?

Unless you're maybe talking about beardface, who I don't know very well having only met him a couple of times.

Nah. Haha just a mate of mine that I met at GABS. Your knowledge and love of beer made me think you were him at first! Then realized you weren't but thought maybe you knew him since it is a small world.

Quasar

I want to get a tablet for reading PDF's any ideas?

I am thinking between a Galaxy Tab S or iPad air at this stage, but open to ideas. I want a really nice screen that's good for reading off.

What kind of PDFs? Generally I think any large format tablet would be fine, esp if you are reading PDFs built around A4 or larger pages.

I know for me, even with an iPad I frequently wish I had a bigger screen for reading of large format PDFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom