• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. So, I'm travelling to Australia next month and I plan to stay til Jan/Feb '15. And I think it would be a good idea to get a prepaid phone plan during this time.

I don't need much talk time, I never use more than 2h a month, but I want some included data which I'll use mostly for FB and Whatsapp. My current phone plan includes 500MB which I never exceed.
Can anyone here recommend a good carrier or a website where you can find offers and compare carriers?

If you just need data, 500mb for $5 is a great deal from Lycamobile. It works on telstra network so you'll have good coverage. Also, 2gb for $10.

Otherwise, they also have combo talk + data plans starting from $25. Bonus is that you can use the talktime for international calls as well.

If you're happy to spend $30, then get a prepaid sim from telstra and use it on the cap encore plan. You will get $220 talktime credit (can be used for international calls), $30 recharge credit (you can use it for google play store app/music purchase or top up talktime/sms/data on your existing cap), 400mb data on 4G network and 1 month validity.

Darren870

Hey guys. So, I'm travelling to Australia next month and I plan to stay til Jan/Feb '15. And I think it would be a good idea to get a prepaid phone plan during this time.

I don't need much talk time, I never use more than 2h a month, but I want some included data which I'll use mostly for FB and Whatsapp. My current phone plan includes 500MB which I never exceed.
Can anyone here recommend a good carrier or a website where you can find offers and compare carriers?

I use Yatango. The first month is free and you can adjust your plan accordingly for text/data/talk.

500Mb and 100 Mins of talk would be $16, 1Gb is $18.

Its on the optus network too so the coverage is pretty good.

If you do go down that route I'd appreciate it if you used my referral link :)

senahorse

What kind of PDFs? Generally I think any large format tablet would be fine, esp if you are reading PDFs built around A4 or larger pages.

I know for me, even with an iPad I frequently wish I had a bigger screen for reading of large format PDFs.

Technical white papers, for example:: http://media.amazonwebservices.com/AWS_Amazon_VPC_Connectivity_Options.pdf

So it needs to fit an A4 size page on while being readable and keeping the diagrams intact. Guess I could try and get the staff at JB or somewhere to open one of these for me so I can view it on different screens.

Quasar

Technical white papers, for example:: http://media.amazonwebservices.com/AWS_Amazon_VPC_Connectivity_Options.pdf

So it needs to fit an A4 size page on while being readable and keeping the diagrams intact. Guess I could try and get the staff at JB or somewhere to open one of these for me so I can view it on different screens.

That should be fine depending on I guess your eyesight. I just gripe a bit with some tabletop RPG PDFs which can be full of design heavy elements and fine print. So I sometimes annoyingly have to zoom in on stuff.

Kritz

Banned
I got an arduino starter kit thing to prototype an interface for my Human Computer Interaction class. Guess I should start learning how these darn things work and how easy it is to make low resolution LED games with 'em.

Er might be :)

Least in Melbourne and Brisbane it was fine. Coming down the Newell highway it went out a few times but I've never had issues since I've had it.

Lol, when I loved in Brisbane, I had Optus and my ex had Telstra. Optus just had shitty signals, it was barely usable at home compared to Telstra. If I ever return to Oz for longer than a visit, I'll just get a Telstra prepaid.

Also, Spike Jonze's 'Her,' is a pretty damn good film.

Danoss

That should be fine depending on I guess your eyesight. I just gripe a bit with some tabletop RPG PDFs which can be full of design heavy elements and fine print. So I sometimes annoyingly have to zoom in on stuff.

I get by with a Nexus 7, but my requirements aren't as demanding as x3no5's are.

It's worth noting that Android doesn't have a built-in PDF renderer, whereas iOS does (at least to my knowledge). Heavy PDFs can be quite painful to load and read on my Nexus 7. There aren't many that are especially bad, but they are out there. In particular, mine gets plenty of use for tabletop RPG and wargaming PDFs and most of them are okay. I do have a PDF of Dragon Kings (a system-neutral campaign setting) and at only 19MB it is just painful to wait for as it renders. I've put some of the heavier ones through Acrobat and exported them as reduced size PDFs which provided noticeable improvements, but this made zero difference with Dragon Kings.

A number of the Android PDF readers use the MuPDF renderer as far as I can tell. EBookDroid is the best implementation of this, especially after making a few performance tweaks. iOS seems to have Android handily beaten in this area, which I hope changes soon.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Where are you going to be staying?

Mostly in hostels, but I also want to do some CSing.

I've got no experience with pre-paid but Aldi mobile have a month-to-month system where you get a good amount of credit and 1GB data for $30 on the biggest network in the land, Telstra.

Sounds like a decent deal, thanks. And I didn't know that there are Aldi stores in Australia.

If you just need data, 500mb for $5 is a great deal from Lycamobile. It works on telstra network so you'll have good coverage. Also, 2gb for $10.

Otherwise, they also have combo talk + data plans starting from $25. Bonus is that you can use the talktime for international calls as well.

If you're happy to spend $30, then get a prepaid sim from telstra and use it on the cap encore plan. You will get $220 talktime credit (can be used for international calls), $30 recharge credit (you can use it for google play store app/music purchase or top up talktime/sms/data on your existing cap), 400mb data on 4G network and 1 month validity.

Some talktime would be good, I guess. $30 would be ok, that's about as much as I spend on my current phone plan.

I use Yatango. The first month is free and you can adjust your plan accordingly for text/data/talk.

500Mb and 100 Mins of talk would be $16, 1Gb is $18.

Its on the optus network too so the coverage is pretty good.

If you do go down that route I'd appreciate it if you used my referral link :)

I'll have a look into that and let you know if I use Yatango.

Thanks everyone.

Kritz

Banned
I got an arduino starter kit thing to prototype an interface for my Human Computer Interaction class. Guess I should start learning how these darn things work and how easy it is to make low resolution LED games with 'em.

several hours later...

ymQ88lJ.png

It's an LED bit array! And it iterates!

why didn't I start messing around with this Arduino stuff earlier, this stuff's great fun

Card Boy

Banned
Desinty Vanguard Edition is $69 at JB for pre-order on PS4. Thats mighty tempting, is the game any good? I love Halo and some of what borderlands offered.

Desinty Vanguard Edition is $69 at JB for pre-order on PS4. Thats mighty tempting, is the game any good? I love Halo and some of what borderlands offered.

It's nothing like Borderlands aside from being open-world-ish. Feels quite desolate at times.

Mix of Halo, Fallout and Diablo 1 is what I felt.

It's nothing like Borderlands aside from being open-world-ish. Feels quite desolate at times.

Mix of Halo, Fallout and Diablo 1 is what I felt.

The social features make it a blast, way better that borderlands, which can't be enjoyed if you play alone.

If you love halo, you will definitely see the similarities and enjoy Destiny, esp the pvp mode.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Watched the final episode of frontline, Ha, I forgot how they ended it.

Explains why there wasn't more than 3 series.

Hi ausgaf, what's been happening the last 2 weeks?
Well, I just recently discovered Shapes Roasted Garlic and Parmesan snacks.

This may be one of those situations where it may have been better if I never had.

That's about it really. No one else has been doing anything. You?

Nah. Haha just a mate of mine that I met at GABS. Your knowledge and love of beer made me think you were him at first!
Hah. There's a ton of beer nerds in Melbourne, but I'm sure I'm easily confused with someone else. I've barely scratched the surface of this particular addiction compared to some.

That's about it really. No one else has been doing anything.
I think you misspeak when you say no one has been doing anything. I bought a packet of Toobs AND a packet of Burger Rings from the supermarket and it was $3 for both.

Cerity

Yeah it's great fun. Had to make a pong/breakout game using a Teensy 2.0/Nokia 5110 LCD last semester for one my classes. Just sat down one weekend and powered through it all. Programming on a micro controller can be really satisfying IMO, you can get as much actual feedback as you want.

I'm really torn on ant man.

I hope it turns out great. I really do. Ant man's one of my favourite heroes (and favourite avenger)

But from whhat we've been hearing... it's going to be a disaster isn't it.

I think an Ant-Man movie would be fantastic. I was totally on board with Wright directing. But since he left, it hasn't been sounding overly promising. I'll try and reserve judgement until I see some trailers and stuff, but I'm worried.

Stackboy

Hi ausgaf, what's been happening the last 2 weeks?

Oh not much, you know. Guardians was awesome. Thinking about bragging in this thread about how us Brisvegians have Wednesday off for the Ekka holiday, plus I have Thursday off too because why not have a weekend in the middle of the week?

I'm no good in gaming lulls, nothing is really holding my attention for too long at the moment. I wish Destiny was upon us.

Until Ant-Man :(

I want to remain optimistic for this film, but the loss of Wright makes me really worried, especially when he had been work shopping the concept of this film for nearly 10 years with Marvel.

r1chard

Just saw Guardians.

Holy shit Marvel can do no wrong.
The universal praise from this board jars with the other non-GAF review I've had about Guardians: "a collection of disappointing scenes interspersed with occasionally witty dialogue. What plot?" so I'm not sure I'm going to bother now...

I'm not going to get a chance to see it until next weekend - was thinking of taking my daughter to see it (she's 10 and has seen and loved the Avengers film).

GotG has a plot, which is less interesting than the arcs and backstories of the crew. Its a decent plot but the moment to moment interaction is the draw.
Gamora is the only one with an underdeveloped arc, a lot of her stuff got left on the editing room floor it seems.
I get the impression she will have a driving role in the next movie due to the film really only leaving 2 loose ends, both relating to her, aside from the "who is peter quill" thing.

Oh also where did you read that quote? All the reviews I've read have been positive in regards to the scenes and story, even RLM gave it a glowing review ending with "I wanna see it again" which they rarely say.

jambo

The universal praise from this board jars with the other non-GAF review I've had about Guardians: "a collection of disappointing scenes interspersed with occasionally witty dialogue. What plot?" so I'm not sure I'm going to bother now...

I'm not going to get a chance to see it until next weekend - was thinking of taking my daughter to see it (she's 10 and has seen and loved the Avengers film).

It's 92% on RT and 76% on MetaCritic.

It ain't no BoyHood, but I don't think it needs to be.

Everyone in our theatre was cacking themselves every few minutes and there were some absolutely amazing action sequences.

Also, your daughter (and probably you) will love Groot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom