• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

So I came back from a Europe holiday, ready to look at buying a car and a new computer and found out my work has gutted my shifts. My manager has given them all to other guy. He knew I wanted them permanent, I asked over and over for a year for more contracted days, I've been there for 7 years, he even said he'd contract me on for better shifts when I got back. So now I have a grand total of 10 fucking hours per week. 10. I'm fucked. :(

Well that fucking sucks. Kick him. Real hard.

So I came back from a Europe holiday, ready to look at buying a car and a new computer and found out my work has gutted my shifts. My manager has given them all to other guy. He knew I wanted them permanent, I asked over and over for a year for more contracted days, I've been there for 7 years, he even said he'd contract me on for better shifts when I got back. So now I have a grand total of 10 fucking hours per week. 10. I'm fucked. :(

Fuck that. Was Europe good at least?

Shaneus

Yeah. Terribly sad about this. What a gut punch to wake up to. I had thought that he had gotten past the issues of his younger days. I guess you never truly do.
You mean, re: depression or drug use? As I understand it, this was purely a depression thing and not related to anything else.

I am literally depressed about robin Williams. Ballarat radio thinks Paris Hilton earning 250k an hour to DJ in Ibiza is "the most upsetting news for today".

fuck you power FM

jambo I'm at work so no resetterino till I got home. sorry

Shaneus

I am literally depressed about robin Williams. Ballarat radio thinks Paris Hilton earning 250k an hour to DJ in Ibiza is "the most upsetting news for today".

fuck you power FM
Maybe there's a thing where they don't talk about suicides on radio? I know they're not reported when local, but maybe it's a wide-ranging thing that covers celebrities as well.

Kritz

Banned
I should really work out if I'll have time to fly to melbourne during pax. Probably won't actually go to pax, but I'd be up for beers and burgers.

10608077_596499667136776_114187517_a.jpg

Dammit, Orbi...

Danoss

So yesterday, then 13 days before I go overseas, it occurs to me to maybe take a camera other than the 100 dollar point and shoot I got years ago. Does impulse buying a DLSR sound like a terrible idea and which bloody one to get?!

You'd probably want to familiarise yourself with it before you leave, look at lenses, etc. At such short notice, it may not be worth it if taking photos ends up being more effort than it should be. I don't know your photographic experience, so I'm basing that on using a (comparatively) rudimentary P&S.

If you wanted something a little better but still simple to use, the Canon S120 would be my choice. Best value P&S out there without spending upwards for one with a larger sensor. The Fujifilm X20 is about as high up as I'd suggest. Sony's RX100 II and III are quality but their price is absurd and approaching the 'forget about getting a P&S, there's much better options available if you spend a little more' range.

If you want to push for something more that has the image quality to match a DSLR (if not better in many cases) but not the bulk that comes along with it, there is the Fujifilm X100S. I have the X100 and I love it to bits, but the X100S is something else entirely. It takes some getting used to, but it's totally worth it. If you like the 35mm equivalent focal length, you could buy this camera and not want for another.

I hate that non talking about it shit, it helps no one.

Agree 100%. It's not like talking about it will inspire others to do it or tip someone over the edge. Mental health is serious and skirting about the issue does nothing to improve the awareness and understanding of it. When people can be experiencing depression and/or anxiety and not even know it or have their friends or family identify it, that's a serious problem. We're not our parents or grandparents living in an era where it's shameful to admit you have a problem, at least we shouldn't be.

Things like this in the news is a perfect opportunity that needs to be taken advantage of. A footballer will hit someone else and it'll be talked about to death, because violence is bad, it shouldn't happen, etc. Well, suicide is bad and it shouldn't happen, but it does, and talking about it totally helps. Shit, telling or getting someone in this situation to eat better and go for a walk might just be what they need.

No one just wakes up one day and decides to kill themselves out of nowhere, it's a long and miserable road with many exits, but sometimes they can be hard to find and you need someone to show them to you. It's kinda like the Matrix but with the worlds reversed, 'cause the real world is not that bleak and shitty, depression has just pulled the wool over your eyes. The difference is that depression will whisper in your ear the exit it knows is there, it just needs time to convince you to take it. Like the Matrix, depression is very convincing and even though you may know what it tells you is bullshit, it's somewhat comforting and you want to surrender to it.

This is why it's so serious. When you look at what it does and how (when it gets bad, and it easily can), it's terrifying. And that's just one mental illness which comes in many forms. When anxiety comes to the party and depression is there, they're like a bad influence on each-other and they're gonna wreck the place.

Mixed metaphors all up in this post, but I don't care.

So to lighten the mood...

BrisGAF - as it's Ekka day who's getting up at 3am to watch the Sony Gamescon event?

I would stay up until 3am... but my girlfriend has to get up early and go to uni. She attends Sunshine Coast University, and the holiday is only within Brisbane. Unlucky!

Dimefan3

Maybe there's a thing where they don't talk about suicides on radio? I know they're not reported when local, but maybe it's a wide-ranging thing that covers celebrities as well.

Nope, most regional radio stations are either networked, or in the case of Ballarat, they've just dropped the ball.

I work in production in Radio myself, I heard about Robin at 9am, and had a small tribute piece on air by 10.15. (Admittedly it was just a bunch of his best bits over the new Coldplay song).

I had a hard time trying to get through it without tearing up though. That Genie picture is like a punch in the gut every time I see it.

Rlan

Is there a good Chrome Extension or something that'll allow me to watch The Daily Show from their website? I used to have one that worked, but since their change to the thedailyshow.cc.com website, it doesn't work anymore :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom