• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I will need to emergency re-up my AU PS+ to grab those. Any thoughts on where to get a deal?

Or i could just shell for a month and add them i guess and wait until black friday (though i don't remember if they discount AU PS+ then or not)

Where's the info about the sale? I'm actually looking into buying a BBQ.
Here

I will need to emergency re-up my AU PS+ to grab those. Any thoughts on where to get a deal?

Or i could just shell for a month and add them i guess and wait until black friday (though i don't remember if they discount AU PS+ then or not)

NFI, I'll keep an eye out. We haven't had a PS+ sale this year for us :(

Can someone playing Diablo on PS4 die a couple of times so the game can send a Nemesis I can kill? Haven't seen a single Nemesis yet :(

Had my first death today playing on Master, you guys are welcome.

Rizzi

Can someone playing Diablo on PS4 die a couple of times so the game can send a Nemesis I can kill? Haven't seen a single Nemesis yet :(

Had my first death today playing on Master, you guys are welcome.

I've died once. Also I think I sent you a gift or something? I dunno what it was.

Kvik

So how's ozgameshop with their delivery times these days? I'm looking to get Destiny since I'm missing Dick Smith $45 deals last time. :-\

So how's ozgameshop with their delivery times these days? I'm looking to get Destiny since I'm missing Dick Smith $45 deals last time. :-\

Last order I had with them took 10 business days but the one before that was only 7. Will also depend on how early they get their stock.

When was it $45? Cheapest I remember was $55.

It's $60 at release through Dick Smith btw.

Omikron

I am very close to giving up any sort of discussion about video games as it just all seems too hard with everyone out there running some sort of bullshit agenda, where it is impossible to agree with something and not also be attacked by everyone, this includes the person/people you ultimately generally agree with.

I will be over there playing video games. Or something.

I am very close to giving up any sort of discussion about video games as it just all seems too hard with everyone out there running some sort of bullshit agenda, where it is impossible to agree with something and not also be attacked by everyone, this includes the person/people you ultimately generally agree with.

Example?

Omikron

No specific example from here that I can link, if that is what you are after, but is the general impression I am getting based on the whole weeks worth of shit storm(s).

You get appalled by how one group can treat another constantly, speak up about it etc, but then then those people you might support, criticise groups you feel a part of or have self identified as being part of (see: Leigh Alexander's article today as a distinct example) and you just wonder where you go from here.

This hoodie is/was super cool (although I don't play fighting games so I would be a poser)

Yes, and I have Infamous/Watch Doges with me today, will be posting at lunchtime :)
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. tempted to jump on First Light but thought it best to play Second Son first!

Noooooooo talk to me about games! I'm a lone wolf you know that, I'm not beholden to any of these groups/circlejerks/etc.

Awesome, bought. Thanks rep, have been looking for a decent Akuma hoodie but never found anything.

Awesome! It's damn good looking hoodie so I'm glad someone found it useful. I'll be keeping a close eye on that site, they offer a ton of different print types and some of their past designs are great. Prices are as good or better than similar sites too.

the whole weeks worth of shit storm(s)
At this point, virtually everyone has an opinion, but no one is going to be heard through everyone else shouting theirs.

IMO if people have an opinion they want heard, waiting until people calm down a bit and making those opinions calmly is more likely to elicit a less knee-jerk reaction. I get why everyone's jumping on everyone right now, but it's not helping anyone's argument.

Anyway...

I started playing FTL again last night! Forgot how much fun it is, failed a couple of times on easy, and as I was just about to close the application and go to bed, I noticed there's a toggle to enable Advanced Edition stuff.

I thought I'd been playing with it on by default the entire time.

Started playing First Light yesterday afternoon
Is that the prequel to Last Light?

Danoss

The downward slope of video game discussion into shitsville has only gotten steeper as time has gone on. It was pretty bad years ago and now it's just a freefall into a cesspit.

Video games are omnipresent in modern society, everyone is a ‘gamer’. The word is nigh irrelevant at this point as gamers are as varied as people uncategorised. The worst behaviour seems to stem from those who do not realise and/or accept this. Sure, there are enthusiasts as with any interest people have. Serious problems arise when some designate themselves the arbiters of games; the gatekeepers of legitimacy. This attitude doesn't belong anywhere near this pastime/distraction/hobby or any other that comes to mind. Audiences of movies, tv, books and many others can have heated discussions and opinions without it devolving in the same manner we're seeing with video games—of course, they occur, but it's not hard to find ones that don't.

It'll be interesting to see how video games mature past this troublesome adolescence (“Fuck you Mum!”) it seems to be experiencing. Right now it's definitely not pleasant to be around and I don't blame anyone for avoiding aspects of its volatile personality.

That reminds me, I was humming Heresy in the bathroom and conciously tried to remember if I'd been singing the refrain or just humming it as I came out and my boss looked over at me lol

He didn't say anything so I assume not heh

EDIT: I swear I read Danoss' post as The downward spiral >_<
Got it stuck on my brain today obviously!

EDIT: You wouldn't steal an internet would you? :(

Quasar

Video games are omnipresent in modern society, everyone is a &#8216;gamer&#8217;. The word is nigh irrelevant at this point as gamers are as varied as people uncategorised. The worst behaviour seems to stem from those who do not realise and/or accept this. Sure, there are enthusiasts as with any interest people have. Serious problems arise when some designate themselves the arbiters of games; the gatekeepers of legitimacy. This attitude doesn't belong anywhere near this pastime/distraction/hobby or any other that comes to mind. Audiences of movies, tv, books and many others can have heated discussions and opinions without it devolving in the same manner we're seeing with video games&#8212;of course, they occur, but it's not hard to find ones that don't.

Well...I don't know if I agree that its lost meaning. I think there is a difference between someone who play the occasional game whilst waiting for a bus or whatever, and someone who plays games (be they digital or analog) as a major or main hobby.

Just as I'd consider casual/occassional film watchers and film-geeks different.

Of course I've argued for a while, that geek itself has lost all meaning.

Arksy

I wanted to get into home brewing...for reasons that are quite unknown to me...I just spontaneously thought it might be a good idea....

I'm asking here because I've seen a few discussions about it here. The only thing is, I know absolutely nothing about it. Heck I don't know much about beer other than it's amazing and I really like drinking it. Anyone here got any good resources for starting from zero knowledge? Preferably knowing what I might be getting myself into...

Thanks in advance!

Darren870

I wanted to get into home brewing...for reasons that are quite unknown to me...I just spontaneously thought it might be a good idea....

I'm asking here because I've seen a few discussions about it here. The only thing is, I know absolutely nothing about it. Heck I don't know much about beer other than it's amazing and I really like drinking it. Anyone here got any good resources for starting from zero knowledge? Preferably knowing what I might be getting myself into...

Thanks in advance!

Don't know anything about it but I can't wait to get a place and do the same. Would be a lot of fun I think.

I'm asking here because I've seen a few discussions about it here. The only thing is, I know absolutely nothing about it.
I'm actually brewing a hoppy brown ale right now! Well, it's boiling and I'm on GAF, but whatever.

First things first (I may end up going long, apologies if I do), you can make good beer with cheap equipment.

There's a few "levels" of homebrewing (from simplest to most complicated, the more complicated the more control over the final product):
- K&K (kit & kilo, basically tins of condensed beer that you rehydrate)
- extract (tins of malt extract, you add hops in for bitterness, unlike K&K which already has hops)
- partial mash (same as extract, except you steep some specialty grains for extra flavour, add hops too)
- all grain (you mash grains to create wort [similar to extract, except all those use condensed extract to create wort], then add hops etc as the others

Once you cool the wort (it's not beer yet!) you add yeast (sachets of dried are easiest, but there's not many strains available -- though the end result is as good as liquid). From here on, all types are exactly the same. All the wort is kept in a fermenter for a couple of weeks (varies but let's keep it simple), the most important factor being a consistent cool temperature (which varies again).

After that, you add some sort of sugar (sugar drops easiest, but least control) and the flat beer into bottles. Another couple of weeks later and you have carbonated beer!

Brewday (the first four things about) takes 2-7 hours depending on method, what you're doing. Fermentation takes 2+ weeks, depending on beer, but there's not much needed of you except temperature control. Bottling takes 2-3 hours depending on volume. Carbonation (technically it's a second fermentation with the new sugars, but the CO2 dissolves into the beer instead of being expelled as with the first fermentation) takes another couple of weeks. You should expect a minimum of four weeks from first brew to drinkable beer (but again, varies).

If you want a taster of homebrewing, I'd suggest either getting a Coopers kit (and most of the stuff you get there is reusable at any of those other "levels"), or going to a DIY nanobrewery. There's a few in Melbourne called U Brew It, one in Sydney (?) called The Beer Shed. They're an easy (although comparably expensive) way to get started -- if you split it with a few mates, it makes for a couple of good afternoons.

Quasar

So I have a nexus 4 with a battery that's gotten really shitty. I'm kind of lost in terms of what to do. All the local little phone shops have been no help aside from recommending me go to a battery shop and do it myself.

Anyone done this kind of procedure before?

Danoss

Well...I don't know if I agree that its lost meaning. I think there is a difference between someone who play the occasional game whilst waiting for a bus or whatever, and someone who plays games (be they digital or analog) as a major or main hobby.

Just as I'd consider casual/occassional film watchers and film-geeks different.

Of course I've argued for a while, that geek itself has lost all meaning.

I would be surprised if our reasonings for thinking these words are relatively obsolete weren't at all similar.

We are in agreement on the word ‘geek’ and I think that ‘nerd’ is in the same boat, since they can be used interchangeably. Without a preceding qualifier to either word they are quite ambiguous and completely irrelevant. Their only use applies to a passion or focus held by the person it refers to; games nerd, photography nerd, sports nerd, etc. Much like if someone called themself or another ‘a fan’ without context or elaboration, they would need to be asked “of what?”

The thought I've always found humourous about these words, ‘nerd’ in particular, is that it was originally derogatory—often used by ‘cool’ people deriding those with a passion for less-cool things in their eyes, usually involving computers. Those same people who used that word in such a fashion were likely to have a passion of their own, sports for example. They might have extensive knowledge of tries or goals scored, batting averages, win percentages, or any number of other statistics. In this example, they've demonstrated themselves as a sports nerd.

Activate cods and/or Danoss!

Cods is on a whole other level compared to me. I have only a rudimentary understanding in comparison.

Homebrewing is quite easy to get started and can be as simple as you like. If Arksy were near me, I have a crapload of bottles and a bench bottle capper he could help himself to.

Quasar

I would be surprised if our reasonings for thinking these words are relatively obsolete weren't at all similar.

We are in agreement on the word &#8216;geek&#8217; and I think that &#8216;nerd&#8217; is in the same boat, since they can be used interchangeably. Without a preceding qualifier to either word they are quite ambiguous and completely irrelevant. Their only use applies to a passion or focus held by the person it refers to; games nerd, photography nerd, sports nerd, etc. Much like if someone called themself or another &#8216;a fan&#8217; without context or elaboration, they would need to be asked &#8220;of what?&#8221;

Yeah. That's pretty much my beef. That its become a synonym for fan or hobbyist.

The thought I've always found humourous about these words, &#8216;nerd&#8217; in particular, is that it was originally derogatory&#8212;often used by &#8216;cool&#8217; people deriding those with a passion for less-cool things in their eyes, usually involving computers.

It is interesting.

And well it was one thing about the Leigh Alexander screed to be bothersome was all the 'nerd' shaming that the article was full of. Well that and her odd (to me) definition of 'gamer'. Of course some of it just made me think of the tech fans (such as Apple fans) out there. Not the attacks on minorities by a subset thereof, just the tribalism. Though thats true in many places...cars being another.

MoonGred

Hey guys

Does anyone know if battlefield premium is region locked for pc? They've got it on sale at amazon, just unsure if it will actually work

Manax

I know you're jelly AusGaf

Bizon power

bizon9ok8f.png

ACCC suing valve over non-refunds? LMAO.

BREAKING NEWS: The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is suing Valve over matters relating to Steam's refund policy.
“It is a breach of the Australian Consumer Law for businesses to state that they do not give refunds under any circumstances, including for gifts and during sales," says ACCC Chairman Rod Sims. "Under the Australian Consumer Law, consumers can insist on a refund or replacement at their option if a product has a major fault."
"Valve may be an American based company with no physical presence in Australia, but it is carrying on business in Australia by selling to Australian consumers, who are protected by the Australian Consumer Law,” says Sims.
According to the ACCC's press release, the matter has been filed in the Federal Court’s Sydney Registry. The hearing is set for 7 October. We'll have more as it develops.

I still haven't finished any 3DS game I own. I have like 5, too.

I can never seem to get into handheld games anymore.

I was super into my DS and I've played a ton of Vita but not many 3DS titles have really grabbed me, bit of an awkward system. I hoped Animal Crossing would be the one to pull me in but nope :(

Best of luck ACCC. Surprised they would go after them given Valve has no official presence in Australia, thus prices in usd and no gst. Unlike Origin.

This is from Steam's T&S:
As with most software products, unless required by local law, we do not offer refunds or exchanges on games, DLC or in-game items purchased on our website or through the Steam Client. Please review Section 3 of the Steam Subscriber Agreement for more information.

Nobody beats the ACCC.

Arksy

I'm actually brewing a hoppy brown ale right now! Well, it's boiling and I'm on GAF, but whatever.

First things first (I may end up going long, apologies if I do), you can make good beer with cheap equipment.

There's a few "levels" of homebrewing (from simplest to most complicated, the more complicated the more control over the final product):
- K&K (kit & kilo, basically tins of condensed beer that you rehydrate)
- extract (tins of malt extract, you add hops in for bitterness, unlike K&K which already has hops)
- partial mash (same as extract, except you steep some specialty grains for extra flavour, add hops too)
- all grain (you mash grains to create wort [similar to extract, except all those use condensed extract to create wort], then add hops etc as the others

Once you cool the wort (it's not beer yet!) you add yeast (sachets of dried are easiest, but there's not many strains available -- though the end result is as good as liquid). From here on, all types are exactly the same. All the wort is kept in a fermenter for a couple of weeks (varies but let's keep it simple), the most important factor being a consistent cool temperature (which varies again).

After that, you add some sort of sugar (sugar drops easiest, but least control) and the flat beer into bottles. Another couple of weeks later and you have carbonated beer!

Brewday (the first four things about) takes 2-7 hours depending on method, what you're doing. Fermentation takes 2+ weeks, depending on beer, but there's not much needed of you except temperature control. Bottling takes 2-3 hours depending on volume. Carbonation (technically it's a second fermentation with the new sugars, but the CO2 dissolves into the beer instead of being expelled as with the first fermentation) takes another couple of weeks. You should expect a minimum of four weeks from first brew to drinkable beer (but again, varies).

If you want a taster of homebrewing, I'd suggest either getting a Coopers kit (and most of the stuff you get there is reusable at any of those other "levels"), or going to a DIY nanobrewery. There's a few in Melbourne called U Brew It, one in Sydney (?) called The Beer Shed. They're an easy (although comparably expensive) way to get started -- if you split it with a few mates, it makes for a couple of good afternoons.

Thanks for the info dump. Very much appreciated. I need to learn about beer types and what makes them different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom