• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

First game

w09njWG.jpg

Went a bit average

Brought it back a bit, but not enough

Next game did not start well

Really, really not well

But we managed to salvage it

And proceed to romp on though

Last game started neck and neck

We pulled out a nice lead, mainly thanks to Marsh

Neck and neck

We faltered near the end, losing a string of rounds

Brought it back for the draw

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It has to be Bayonetta 2, of course.

I don't care for Smash, so after that it's probably going to be (maybe) Splatoon, Xenoblade and Zelda. Oh, and Metroid/F-Zero/Star Fox if they ever get around to making them. I can see that being it for the rest of the systems life.

Captain Toad is sad now.

Have any of you turds adopted older dogs before? What's up with that?

I am currently thinking of either a 9 month old Kelpie or a little puppy Kelpie German shepherd cross.
It's not exactly what you're asking, but I've recently "adopted" my friend's 9 1/2year old Labrador Cross because they had to relocated overseas for work. Firstly: yep, that's right, I got me a real world friend. Bet none of y'all expected that!

There are challenges to taking on an adult dog; you get to deal with behaviour and quirks not to your liking but at the same time you don't have to go through the sometime tiring puppy stage. At the same time you miss the fact that you don't get to experience the puppy stage but are glad that it's come pre-installed with quirks and behaviour. The downsides are also the upsides. the only true downside of the whole affair is that I may only get a couple of years with him. And have to inform his owners about it :(

As much as it's the norm to get a puppy - because they're cute and all - there's something really nice about the thought of taking on an older dog, one perhaps that hasn't had the best life or has been let down by their previous owner and give them a second chance at a happy life.

Well there goes your chances with THIS girl! *hmph*
Come on, I've seen pictures of you. You can't fool me. Big beard, Adam's apple, hands that are probably too large for your body and callused from touching your bristly, coarse body hair. You're exactly what I was talking about.

He he he. You're such a party pooper.

I like you. Plus:
You quoted a 4 month old post to tell me that?
Out of context you look like an massive arsehole for just randomly calling people out for 4 month old posts.

I'm less than 2 meters away from where it will be situated. If I put some huge 55" beast there it will be way too big and I will have trouble fitting it in.

senahorse

Our 60" is probably 2-3 metres away.

My parents have a 46" about 4-5 metres from their couch and I hate it.

My mum does the same, has a 40" and sits about 5M away. I guess they come from a time when it was the done thing, you had a 26" tube in one corner of the room and you sit in the other corner, which was further exacerbated by the extra large rooms from the houses of the era.

Ain't nothing wrong with 32" sets. I have had a Samsung 1080p for the last year and plan it's been fine in my apartment. That said, I'm getting a 60 incher after I next move.

Jesus. The biggest TV we had in our house growing up was 63cm. It had a remote control that was the size of an OG Gameboy. This was the main family set.

philips_tv_CID.jpg

This was the first VCR we had. A Sanyo Betacord (Betamax)
1738483-sanyo-betacord-0.jpg

It had an RF modulator thing in the back that you could pull out (I think so they could easily repurpose models between different PAL countries. Yes, even different versions of PAL weren't totally compatible with each other. Don't even get me started on SECAM. The timer let you record one show. There was no onscreen menu or stereo sound. you tuned the channels manually using a little plastic tool. There was no picture search or slow mo. It did have pause (which had a lovely picture disturbance).
It had a wired remote that had one button to pause or unpause. We probably ruined the video playback heads from trying to slow mo things with the remote (as kids do)
It weighed more than a 65 inch plasma would today.

When we eventually got bedroom sets, they were 14 inches. Imagine watching TV in Bed in the 80's. Put your fullsize tablet on a dressing table at the foot of your bed and see how well you can see.

I frickin' love the 21st century.

Gazunta

Hahahah holy shit I had the exact same model Betamax. We'd have to plan out what shows we could record at the start of the week by going through the TV guide and claiming spots with highlighters. And then I would usually get saddled with the task of being the guy who pauses / unpauses recording while the ads were on. Man did I get in trouble if I forgot to resume recording after the ad break.

Hey speaking of buying TVs why do the speakers on new TVs suck so much? They're so tinny and worthless. I don't have a sound system, I will never own a sound system, I just want to play TV on the damn things.

Hey speaking of buying TVs why do the speakers on new TVs suck so much? They're so tinny and worthless. I don't have a sound system, I will never own a sound system, I just want to play TV on the damn things.

because the speakers face backwards and the sound is meant to reflect off the wall. Maybe a simple soundbar would work for you? Or headphones.

jambo

Pretty sure my parents had a 63cm as well, before moving to an LCD flat screen.

Those things were fucking deep and heavy.

Quasar

They have always sucked. Don't even know why they bother including em.

MoonGred

They have always sucked. Don't even know why they bother including em.

It would be quite weird to have a tv without built in speakers, 80% of the people probably don't care.
Imagine how many issues there would be, people buying a tv, coming home and there would be picture but no sound.

Danoss

FedEx's 'estimated delivery' date turns out to be a 'scheduled delivery' date. Wonderful.

Package was picked up in the US on Saturday with an estimated delivery date of Friday and was in the local distribution centre, ready for delivery on Wednesday morning. It wasn't sent out for delivery because "Package not due for delivery". Not sent out today because of the same reason. I give them a call and get told the reason is the package is "not scheduled for delivery"—thanks, I got that part. After I queried this further, they said that it's an option the shipper has available to them. I informed them that the shipper only specified that the package be delivered on a weekday (nothing inside is time-critical, it's just plastic men from Gen Con). Since they weren't following me, I reminded them that Wednesday was a weekday and today is too.

They only provided two options: wait for Friday delivery or go and pick it up. Thanks FedEx. I recall paying you to deliver this to my house, not to sit on your hands for two days and then tell me to come and get it if I want it sooner.

None of the contents of the package have me in a hurry to get them, I had the option of USPS or FedEx and they were similarly priced. This situation wouldn't normally cause me to have a whinge but, out of the 3 days they could deliver the package, Friday is the only one where I'm likely to be out as I take my Gran to the doctor.

Pretty sure my parents had a 63cm as well, before moving to an LCD flat screen.

Those things were fucking deep and heavy.

I had an 80cm CRT in the days of stupid-expensive plasmas. That was fucking heavy. Even with two people lifting it (as if it could be done solo), you're hoping your arms aren't ripped from their sockets and your spine doesn't shatter.

kyser73

From my favourite IT news redtop, The Register

The Australian Securities and Investment Commission, which in 2013 accidentally blocked innocent Websites in an attempt to disrupt financial fraud, has told a government inquiry it didn't actually know what it was doing.

In using what are called “Section 313 notices” under the Act to shut down fraud sites, the financial regulator has said it didn't realise that IP addresses weren't a good mechanism because shared servers exist.

“We were subsequently advised that the IP address hosted approximately 1090 websites, including that of the fraudulent financial services entity and that of the Melbourne Free University.”

How could this take place? Let's stick with the submission:

“Our internal review identified that … the ASIC teams requesting s313 blocks were not aware that a single IP address can host multiple websites”.

Words fail me.

Hey douchebags!

PS+ for us next month.

Velocity 2X (Vita/PS4) brand new game, which is probably going to be fan-fucking-tastic. Cross-buy and Cross-save with a Plat trophy.

Sportsfriends (PS3/PS4) which is a cool minigame collection for local MP, perfect if you have a ton of Move controllers! DS4 works too. Need to 'purchase' licence for each seperately as it isn't bundled cross-buy, if in doubt grab the PS3 licence first. No Plat :(

PS All Star Battle (PS3/Vita) kinda like Smash Bros but very different. Cross-buy with a Plat!

Hoard (PS3) I have this on PC, like 7 or 8 steamkeys worth, but have never touched it. No Plat trophy.

TxK (Vita) secret best portable game ever! Rare that a Vita game I own goes PS+, it's confirmed to be fan-fucking-tastic and has plenty of fans in AusGAF already. No Plat, not sure if the PS4 version will be Cross-buy since it's meant to include something more (although Minter is a nice chap so maybe it will be anyway lol)

Joe Danger (Vita) late port ahoy! Odd since this will work brilliantly on a portable device. Not Cross-buy with the old PS3 version due to it being a Joe Danger Redux situation with new features/graphics/characters/levels etc. Unknown trophies.

Make sure to grab these before Thursday as they leave the selection.

Leaving PS Plus:
3rd September: Road Not Taken
3rd September: FEZ
3rd September: Crysis 3
3rd September: Proteus
3rd September: Metrico
3rd September: LEGO Harry Potter 5-7 Years

END TRANSMISSION

Also eBay are having 50% off BBQ's on Sunday for some random reason. Code will be up Sunday morning.

MoonGred

Hey douchebags!

PS+ for us next month.

Velocity 2X (Vita/PS4) brand new game, which is probably going to be fan-fucking-tastic. Cross-buy and Cross-save with a Plat trophy.

Sportsfriends (PS3/PS4) which is a cool minigame collection for local MP, perfect if you have a ton of Move controllers! DS4 works too. Need to 'purchase' licence for each seperately as it isn't bundled cross-buy, if in doubt grab the PS3 licence first. No Plat :(

PS All Star Battle (PS3/Vita) kinda like Smash Bros but very different. Cross-buy with a Plat!

Hoard (PS3) I have this on PC, like 7 or 8 steamkeys worth, but have never touched it. No Plat trophy.

TxK (Vita) secret best portable game ever! Rare that a Vita game I own goes PS+, it's confirmed to be fan-fucking-tastic and has plenty of fans in AusGAF already. No Plat, not sure if the PS4 version will be Cross-buy since it's meant to include something more (although Minter is a nice chap so maybe it will be anyway lol)

Joe Danger (Vita) late port ahoy! Odd since this will work brilliantly on a portable device. Not Cross-buy with the old PS3 version due to it being a Joe Danger Redux situation with new features/graphics/characters/levels etc. Unknown trophies.

Make sure to grab these before Thursday as they leave the selection.

END TRANSMISSION

Also eBay are having 50% off BBQ's on Sunday for some random reason. Code will be up Sunday morning.

Another month of disappointment for me, bah

jambo

Will check out some of those.

Wife just got a second DualShock 4 for the PS4, so Sportsfriends will most likely get a download.

Fredescu

That sounds awesome. I was wondering if it would apply to high end Weber's, but there's none on Ebay and the discount is capped at $250 anyway.

Still, anyone half considering a Q or a Kettle should jump at this.

Or hell, a dirt cheap Kamado. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LARGE-CE...IES-Grill-Charcoal-Smoker-Pizza-/291042142780

Edit:

Oh god, technically cold smokers are BBQs: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Masterbu...0-80cm-40-100cm-PLUS-BONUS-PACK-/171403059761

And fathers day is soon. How serendipitous.

jambo

I bought a second Dual Shock 4 and I don't even know why. I don't think I own any two local mp games.

Wife was supposed to be getting $5 gift vouchers every time she came in at the top of her team at work (at a Work Cover firm), but her team leader hadn't been doing it for about 6 months.

She got a $90 voucher.

Darren870

Odd question.

Anyone here have any USD funds in their paypal that they want to get rid of? If so PM me.
I need to transfer some money to the US and don't want to get hit with all the transfer fees. Figured someone might want the AUD $ at the going rate.

Fredescu

They look impressive as a feature, but a kamado is a better all around option cooking wise. Kamados seal a lot better and it's easier to fix any seal problems you might have. This lets them heat up a lot quicker, but also lets you keep them at a low temperature easier for low temp cooking. They use less fuel, take up less space, are technically more portable but still heavy as fuck. The kamado gives you a lot more cooking options, like cooking directly over the coals, hot smoking, and so on.

Technically the pizza oven is better for pizza because the dome stays hot and you don't lose so much heat from opening and closing it. The kamado is better for everything else and still does an awesome pizza.

senahorse

They look impressive as a feature, but a kamado is a better all around option cooking wise. Kamados seal a lot better and it's easier to fix any seal problems you might have. This lets them heat up a lot quicker, but also lets you keep them at a low temperature easier for low temp cooking. They use less fuel, take up less space, are technically more portable but still heavy as fuck. The kamado gives you a lot more cooking options, like cooking directly over the coals, hot smoking, and so on.

Technically the pizza oven is better for pizza because the dome stays hot and you don't lose so much heat from opening and closing it. The kamado is better for everything else and still does an awesome pizza.

Why not both :D, agreed on Kamado, it's more versatile, but it can't cook 6 pizzas at once :p

Fredescu

Why not both :D, agreed on Kamado, it's more versatile, but it can't cook 6 pizzas at once :p

Both would be awesome.

If you're cooking at the right temp, it should only take 90 seconds to cook a pizza in a pizza oven, so I doubt you would have time to juggle six pizzas around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom