• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Best of luck ACCC. Surprised they would go after them given Valve has no official presence in Australia, thus prices in usd and no gst. Unlike Origin.

It certainly has policies specific to Australia though. Fuck em, go the ACCC.

Nothing will come of this.

Arksy

It certainly has policies specific to Australia though. Fuck em, go the ACCC.

Nothing will come of this.

I'm willing to put a case of beer on that it will. Consumer protection law here in Australia is quite potent and they are flagrantly disregarding it. I could be wrong but I'm 95% sure that the ACCC will win...if they take it to trial.

Of course they could just give up and settle like they did in Germany...and Valve will try their damnest to make sure it never reaches trial..but if it does reach trial I'm confident that their no refunds for any reason whatsoever clauses will be thrown out.

Thanks for the info dump. Very much appreciated. I need to learn about beer types and what makes them different.
periodicbeer.com is a good place to start. It shows how styles relate to one another and has wiki links to more information and examples.

But knowing styles, beside the really common ones, isn't that important. Figure out what beer you like, it should be easy to find out its style on Google, and buy a kit or Google recipes.

Oh yeah, and don't try to start with lagers. Ales are much easier to get good results.

Quasar

I hope they succeed, no refunds is bullshit especially when you have broken or falsely advertised products being sold. GMG, GOG and even 'evil' EA do refunds right. I just hope they don't stop at Steam though.

I do really think we should get something akin to the Google Play, where you have a limited amount to time to try to make sure it actually works on your PC (or that its as advertised).

Plants Vs Zombies SHOOT BANG is $39 on PS4 at Target. Cheaper than going digital which is $55, someone was asking about this the other day.

Looks like Target will be trying to hit the lowest price possible on Destiny, good for those of us who didn't pre-order or don't like the way Dick Smith have been acting :)

I do really think we should get something akin to the Google Play, where you have a limited amount to time to try to make sure it actually works on your PC (or that its as advertised).

Valve refund stuff that doesn't work don't they? I remember people getting refunds for From Dust and a few other games.

So I have a nexus 4 with a battery that's gotten really shitty. I'm kind of lost in terms of what to do. All the local little phone shops have been no help aside from recommending me go to a battery shop and do it myself.

Anyone done this kind of procedure before?

If you're in Melbourne, go to Vic market. There are guys who replace non-removable batteries at decent rates, you can bargain a bit as well. Iphone is the most common though, but N4 shouldn't be a problem. Battery shop will probably charge in the hundreds.

The Good Guys gave me that Sony 40" Bravia W600B for 620 dollars today.

Fuck year

Nice, the W600B is great for gaming.

Arksy

periodicbeer.com is a good place to start. It shows how styles relate to one another and has wiki links to more information and examples.

But knowing styles, beside the really common ones, isn't that important. Figure out what beer you like, it should be easy to find out its style on Google, and buy a kit or Google recipes.

Oh yeah, and don't try to start with lagers. Ales are much easier to get good results.

Why is specific gravity so important? I get what it's measuring but what's the implication of a certain specific gravity range? I can't figure out any sort of correlation from the charts.

Edit: Ok fair enough part of it seems to be to calculate the alcoholic content....

Edit 2: Second question, as a corollary, do brewers ever add sugar or honey to the brewing process...Since the amount of alcohol seems to be proportional to the amount of sugars that ferment, would adding refined sugar result in an intensely alcoholic beverage?

Card Boy

Banned

Quasar

If you're in Melbourne, go to Vic market. There are guys who replace non-removable batteries at decent rates, you can bargain a bit as well. Iphone is the most common though, but N4 shouldn't be a problem. Battery shop will probably charge in the hundreds.

Sadly not. I'm in the Newcastle area. I did find someone selling a replacement battery kit and video, its in the US though so with shipping it looks to be around 60$

http://www.newpower99.com/Google_Nexus_4_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/google nexus 4.htm

It doesn't look terribly hard to do.

If you don't care about beer, skip to the post below mine!

Why is specific gravity so important? I get what it's measuring but what's the implication of a certain specific gravity range? I can't figure out any sort of correlation from the charts.
Gravity indicates the weight/density of your liquid against water. So, 1.000 is the same as water. Generally, a beer with a low FG (final gravity, once it's done fermenting) will have thin body and dry flavour (because of lack of sugar) and a beer with a high FG will have a fuller body/feel and be sweeter. Low FG is good for beers like saisons, and high FG good for stouts.

Any time you take a reading, it's an SG (specific gravity) reading. When you take the first reading (before you add yeast), it's also the OG (original gravity). Once the fermentation is finished you subtract the FG from the OG to determine the ABV (alcohol by volume). There is software you can use to help with these calculations (I use 'Brewzor Calculator' on Android). Remember when taking a reading to also take the temperature, as that will make a difference in the reading.

It's important because you want to know when fermentation has finished. If you don't care what your ABV is, you *could* go without taking gravity readings, but it'd be tough to know for certain when a beer has finished fermenting.

When you have the same SG for at least three days, the yeast is finished (either because it gave up/stalled, or because it's eaten all it can) and it's time to think about bottling.

Sugar and honey are added, and for different reasons. Belgian brewers will add 'candi sugar' (inverted sugar, basically, it's not hard to make yourself) to bump up the alcohol in a beer and to dry out the flavour* without changing the basic flavour a heap. Table sugar isn't often added, honey is sometimes but again it's not common.

* Because table sugar/candi sugar are simple sugars (I can go much longer on this but let's keep it high level) the yeast will chomp through it really thoroughly meaning the remaining residual sweetness is lessened. The sugars created from mashing the grain (essentially steeping it in hot water to release the sugars) are more complex, thus the yeast won't convert it so completely to ethanol. And going further, the temperature at which you mash the grains also has an effect on the complex sugars created. Simple rule - the cooler the mash the drier and thinner the beer. General temperatures are 62c - 69c.

Kvik

Don't we get a Dick Smith lowest price guaranteed if you pre-order? So you get money back if somewhere else is cheaper?

Speaking of, Dick Smith has got some new coupon codes for Father's Day:

WeekendRewards_Leaderstrip.gif

Also, free shipping until Sunday. Just bought Destiny & TLOUR for $110. Mint. :)

Card Boy

Banned

Also, free shipping until Sunday. Just bought Destiny & TLOUR for $110. Mint. :)

Good deal, same as last weekend. I got GTAV and Advanced Warfare for 62.50 each. Too bad about that rumored delay :(. I pre-ordered Destiny for $55 awhile back on PS4.

I want to get FIFA15 but now sure what else to get, thinking either AC Unity or Driveclub. Driveclub is a riskier buy though. Might wait for PSN+

Darklord

Banned
With Destiny coming up I need to fill my completely empty PSN friends list with some people to play with! So plz add me k thx. My name on it is: SuperBananaNova

Yeah Dick Smith is pre-order guarantee, I'll end up getting Destiny through them since I have a $30 voucher from their fuckup before last (the eBay one).

Also, free shipping until Sunday.

That's the biggest positive. Glad I didn't order them last weekend!

(although I'm not ordering anyway, grabbed TLoU HD for $45 posted and Destiny will be a day one $60 pickup instead)

Arksy

If you don't care about beer, skip to the post below mine!

Gravity indicates the weight/density of your liquid against water. So, 1.000 is the same as water. Generally, a beer with a low FG (final gravity, once it's done fermenting) will have thin body and dry flavour (because of lack of sugar) and a beer with a high FG will have a fuller body/feel and be sweeter. Low FG is good for beers like saisons, and high FG good for stouts.

Any time you take a reading, it's an SG (specific gravity) reading. When you take the first reading (before you add yeast), it's also the OG (original gravity). Once the fermentation is finished you subtract the FG from the OG to determine the ABV (alcohol by volume). There is software you can use to help with these calculations (I use 'Brewzor Calculator' on Android). Remember when taking a reading to also take the temperature, as that will make a difference in the reading.

It's important because you want to know when fermentation has finished. If you don't care what your ABV is, you *could* go without taking gravity readings, but it'd be tough to know for certain when a beer has finished fermenting.

When you have the same SG for at least three days, the yeast is finished (either because it gave up/stalled, or because it's eaten all it can) and it's time to think about bottling.

Sugar and honey are added, and for different reasons. Belgian brewers will add 'candi sugar' (inverted sugar, basically, it's not hard to make yourself) to bump up the alcohol in a beer and to dry out the flavour* without changing the basic flavour a heap. Table sugar isn't often added, honey is sometimes but again it's not common.

* Because table sugar/candi sugar are simple sugars (I can go much longer on this but let's keep it high level) the yeast will chomp through it really thoroughly meaning the remaining residual sweetness is lessened. The sugars created from mashing the grain (essentially steeping it in hot water to release the sugars) are more complex, thus the yeast won't convert it so completely to ethanol. And going further, the temperature at which you mash the grains also has an effect on the complex sugars created. Simple rule - the cooler the mash the drier and thinner the beer. General temperatures are 62c - 69c.

Understood, thank you a bunch. I'm going to do some reading.

Rizzi

The multiplayer for Last of Us Remastered is really disappointing. I can't seem to find any matches with a decent ping.

With Destiny coming up I need to fill my completely empty PSN friends list with some people to play with! So plz add me k thx. My name on it is: SuperBananaNova

Request sent.

(although I'm not ordering anyway, grabbed TLoU HD for $45 posted and Destiny will be a day one $60 pickup instead)

No PSN pre-load for you? Cheaper to buy the game + expansion from PSN or amazon, but only PSN allows pre-load 2 days before release. EB is having a midnight launch, maybe you can get them to price match DSE?

There are only 3 more games I have to buy this year: Shadow of Mordor, Lords of the Fallen and Far Cry 4. Will pickup Dragon Age early next year, and skipping both COD and AC (until next year at least).

Kritz

Banned
The last time I bought a physical copy of a game at retail, and then went to receive it in person at midnight, ... the myer in the city caught on fire and was destroyed forever.

Thankfully, being almost entirely digital-only makes buildings catching on fire almost entirely irrelevant.

The last time I bought a physical copy of a game at retail, and then went to receive it in person at midnight, ... the myer in the city caught on fire and was destroyed forever.

Thankfully, being almost entirely digital-only makes buildings catching on fire almost entirely irrelevant.

Aside from when the local exhange catches fire and you have no internet.

NO INTERNET KRITZ. NO INTERNET.

Fucking Telstra morons. Didn't even put up a firewall when they rebuilt it >_<

Ended up grabbing a Weber Q200 for $230 posted in the end. Couldn't say no >_<

Tempted to jump on this outdoor setting for $250 posted too!

EDIT: derp, just checked and eBay have made it clear the code is for BBQ's only so if I bought that setting I'd end up with a bill from eBay for the other half! Tons of scammer shit up at the moment, like a PS4 with some BBQ forks for $275 after discount heh.

I love mine but the lack of a hotplate for onion / eggs annoys me. The separate hotplate you can buy takes awhile to heat up and is just a little bit too small.

hidys

I wanted to get into home brewing...for reasons that are quite unknown to me...I just spontaneously thought it might be a good idea....

I'm asking here because I've seen a few discussions about it here. The only thing is, I know absolutely nothing about it. Heck I don't know much about beer other than it's amazing and I really like drinking it. Anyone here got any good resources for starting from zero knowledge? Preferably knowing what I might be getting myself into...

Thanks in advance!

If you are doing this consider getting a Coopers DIY kit. It's easy as fuck to use.

Jintor

Whelp left my ducking 3ds somewhere. Best case scenario back home in Australia, otherwise it was probably on a ducking plane.

Great.

Deeku

Whelp left my ducking 3ds somewhere. Best case scenario back home in Australia, otherwise it was probably on a ducking plane.

Great.
how come it took you so long to realise??? at least you can get a newwwww 3ds now!

also how is your school/teaching/kids/japan/life goin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom