• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Just a heads up for anyone potentially interested. VMware have relaxed their exam taking requirements a bit for the next 6 months on one of their new exams. There is a new cert VCP-NV (network virtualisation) and if you currently hold a VCP or a Cisco CCNA and/or CCNP you can take the exam without doing the course. In the past (and in the future) they have had this annoying requirement that in order to sit the exam you have to attend a course. Anyway more info here: http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=51111&ui=www_cert

I don't know anything about VMware (I mean, I know about virtualisation, my first job at IBM was doing Solaris server virtualisation, but I've never managed VMware) - how hard would this be to learn?

Also, I've got my CCNP Route exam booked in for Thursday D:

Okay, a guy at work is asking me about getting old games (specifically Warcraft 2) running on this laptop (Windows XP). I feel this is something I should definitely encourage. Any advice?

Rizzi

Does Warcraft 2 not just work? I don't think I had to do anything special when I played it on XP like a billion years ago.

Also here's a bunch of PSN folks that I could find on the past 15-20 pages or so.

binglesthecat
Dime_fan3
StackboyRoyale
SuperBananaNova
vormund
pointystick
ThoseDeafMutes1
el_rezzo
StueyRowls
Hoonzor
ruthlesbarbarian
Mr_Gingerlicious
Joshizzled
fuzyfrog
Poimandre
USTrancos
FlashHawaii
Kyser_soze_SW2

Anyone else?

Okay, a guy at work is asking me about getting old games (specifically Warcraft 2) running on this laptop (Windows XP). I feel this is something I should definitely encourage. Any advice?

Point him towards GOG.com and hope some games from his past leap out at him! Most will run without issue I expect.

Does Warcraft 2 not just work? I don't think I had to do anything special when I played it on XP like a billion years ago.

Also here's a bunch of PSN folks that I could find on the past 15-20 pages or so.

Anyone else?

He says there seem to be some sort of compatibility issues so he can't even get it installed. I might just get him to bring his laptop in and see if I can sort it out.

My PSN: Poimandre

Point him towards GOG.com and hope some games from his past leap out at him! Most will run without issue I expect.

Yes! GOG is a great idea!

jambo

Even though PC is generally pretty fucking great for backwards compatibility, there is a weird hole when you get to the Win 95/98 area.

There is a DOS version of Warcraft II so you could try it with DOSBox.

Fredescu

Even though PC is generally pretty fucking great for backwards compatibility, there is a weird hole when you get to the Win 95/98 area.

Isn't the weird hole the Win 3.1 native 16bit games? You can get them running via a Win 3.1 install into Dropbox, but it's a bit of a hassle. 32bit 95 stuff should run ok shouldn't it?

jambo

Isn't the weird hole the Win 3.1 native 16bit games? You can get them running via a Win 3.1 install into Dropbox, but it's a bit of a hassle. 32bit 95 stuff should run ok shouldn't it?

Maybe it was 3.1/95 I was thinking of.

Something like the games being 32 bit, but still using 16 bit installers or something.

I just remember trying to play a bunch of mid 90s PC games on Win XP and Vista and running in to issues.

markot

Banned
Whys unisex mean both sexes at a hair dresser but unicycle means one wheel. Bisexual means both sexes and bicycle means 2 wheels.

Fredescu

Uni refers to the singular hairdresser, as in you don't need two hairdressers. Like when something is "uni"versal, you only need one to apply to all.

senahorse

I don't know anything about VMware (I mean, I know about virtualisation, my first job at IBM was doing Solaris server virtualisation, but I've never managed VMware) - how hard would this be to learn?

Also, I've got my CCNP Route exam booked in for Thursday D:

It's not hard, there is just a lot to it. With the VCP-NV, some of your networking knowledge will carry over but there is a quite a bit of content to the exam as a whole. Certs are great to have, and I will never try to talk people out of getting them, but without the experience it's really only good for learning a bit about a product/service. I might do the VCP-NV but only because I am in an environment that will be going down the private cloud path and potentially using NSX. But for now, the majority of my attention is on Amazon Web Services, I am hedging my bets a bit here but I feel it is a a great cert path to follow in the current IT world and it's very easy to get hands on with it, no lab (physical) environment required, which is a huge boost. Nothing wrong with Azure, Google's or Rack Technologies offerings either it's just that Amazon is the main player and (currently) the most mature.

Good luck with Route, I found that to be the hardest of the 3 for CCNP, if only because routing for me isn't a daily job, it's really just set and forget, extremely true for the likes of BGP (the most in depth of all the RP's).

edit: Oh be sure to get all your exams done before next year if you can, I think they are changing them up in early 2015, seem to remember a bulletin coming out about it.

Trancos

Anyone else?

Hi aussiegaf.

Took me a while to add you all guys to my psn list. I'm actually from Chilean heritage but born and raised in Belgium (long story). I have been living in this lovely Aussie country for more than 5 years. My psn is USTrancos so just add me if you want :)

Sweet, more PSN friends!

Quite night tonight it seems!

Enjoying the shit out of Infamous Second Son. Has a weird feel to it, like indie AAA or something. You can tell it was made by a small intertwined team rather than a behemoth smushing together ala Watch Dogs/AssCreed.
I really like it. Looks great, plays great and the story is interesting enough so far. Side content is ripe enough but not to the point of drawing you away from the main goal.
Insanely satisfying now I've got the 'subdue with headshot' perk. Feels good to make precise headshots on the move while under fire :)
Thanks Shaneus!

Shaneus

Enjoying the shit out of Infamous Second Son. Has a weird feel to it, like indie AAA or something. You can tell it was made by a small intertwined team rather than a behemoth smushing together ala Watch Dogs/AssCreed.
I really like it. Looks great, plays great and the story is interesting enough so far. Side content is ripe enough but not to the point of drawing you away from the main goal.
Insanely satisfying now I've got the 'subdue with headshot' perk. Feels good to make precise headshots on the move while under fire :)
Thanks Shaneus!
No problemo! Glad to hear you're taking the "good" route, too :) I've no problem if you hold onto that indefinitely (or for a short while), there's enough on my plate to keep me going until DC arrives in a month or so (!!!).

I've been completely out of the loop with clan stuff in Destiny. You can join DestinyGAF already on their site and then AusGAF is a sub-clan or something?
Here is the thread on it. And here is the rundown on how to join up and get into the AusGAF subgroup!

No problemo! Glad to hear you're taking the "good" route, too :) I've no problem if you hold onto that indefinitely (or for a short while), there's enough on my plate to keep me going until DC arrives in a month or so (!!!).

Yeah having a ton of fun with it. Will go evil on the Expert difficulty run. Bit shocked that 10% of owners have got the full plat trophy in Second Son!

markot

Banned
Things that Hitler would even disaprove of, and be right for doing so:

Websites that dont put the freaking prices on things so you have to go instore to look at them.

Thats pure evil. What century is this? A really early one?

Even Harvey Norman (Eww) doesnt put prices on most furniture.

I went full evil in Second Son. It was just easier and actually felt like it played more to the character.

Looking at the perks I'm glad I saved it for the hardest difficulty! Although the instanta subdue headshots going nice guy is insanely handy.

The destruction going evil allows you should make it generally a cake walk though.

Things that Hitler would even disaprove of, and be right for doing so:

Websites that dont put the freaking prices on things so you have to go instore to look at them.

Thats pure evil. What century is this? A really early one?

Even Harvey Norman (Eww) doesnt put prices on most furniture.

Who actually buys stuff from Harvey Norman anyway.

I never once heard you mention your sister. Those MK sessions must have really scarred you. The more you know.

In other news, I return home to Brisbane in two glorious weeks! Yay, me.

SNES Mario Kart battle mode is probably one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had, bar none. Subsequent Mario Karts were of course not nearly as good, because I'm old and I'm right.

The Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed battle modes have come close in the last year or two for multiplayer kart battle enjoyment. Capture the Chao in particular is a riot.

Great comic, Gaz.

Gazunta

Clive! Permanently or just a visit? GRILL'D CALLS YOU.

Thanks, Cods. I think this discussion has convinced me to have Super Mario Kart battle mode at my booth at Supanova later this year :)

I'll have to try out Transformed's battle mode soon because man that is a great little game there.

I'm in the market for a new computer chair. I was at officeworks and really liked the Bathurst faux leather type chairs and would probably get that but I want to research a bit but have no ides where to start. Anyone got ideas pls?

Clive! Permanently or just a visit? GRILL'D CALLS YOU.
Discounting miracles, perm. In the meantime, there's 5 guys.

I'm in the market for a new computer chair. I was at officeworks and really liked the Bathurst faux leather type chairs and would probably get that but I want to research a bit but have no ides where to start. Anyone got ideas pls?

IKEA Markus is pretty good for the money.

hidys

I actually got one of those fairly recently.

So far I'm liking it. It feels pretty comfortable.

Fredescu

I've had one of those bathurst chairs for a bit over a year. No complaints, but to be fair I don't spend hours and hours in it. Main selling point was being able to fold the arms out of the way for guitar, but put them back again for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom