• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urgh... now that Destiny is launching I kind of really want to get a PS4. If there was a shop somewhere selling them for $400 I'd buy one on the way home.

Dick Smith had them for $400 posted not that long ago!

Ehh

Side content is very underwhelming and the power sets are not varied that much.

Yeah side content is minimal, although I really enjoyed the spray painting. The meat of the game was great though. Enjoyed the variety in enemies which rewarded you for changing tactics/powers based on who you were facing at the time.

The progression of the powers were great but fell a bit short overall. Never felt as godtier of a conduit as Cole was. Every time you were like "fuck yeah I'm unstoppable" with a power they kicked you onto the next one which was good game design in terms of keeping it a challenge/interest.

Overpowered abilities are fun though.
Smoke headshot, weakpoint slowmo neonbolt, invisible video takedown. So good.

Arksy

When you guys started gaming did you decide to have a bad taste in games? Or was it something you acquired over time?

It was a slow slide into oblivion.

When I was younger I enjoyed such classics as Bubsy, and Kid Klown in Crazy Chase.

When you guys started gaming did you decide to have a bad taste in games? Or was it something you acquired over time?

What exactly should we be excited about at the moment? If I don't wind up getting a PS4 I think the only thing I'll be getting for the rest of the year is... Bayonetta 2?

Fredescu

(ask guitarists what they think of Ovation's plastic guitars)

I think they're cool, but I definitely don't play well enough or even often enough to call myself a "guitarist". I know the kind of tone warrior you're talking about though.

Many years ago I chose a plastic (technically "glass" but it sure looks plastic) framed Garrison acoustic guitar over a more traditional Maton because I bought into the marketing crap and hey it sounded nice at the time. Ten years later and the bridge started lifting which warped the soundboard and screwed up the action. By that time Garrison had been bought out by Gibson and the Canadian factory shut down. I paid to get it fixed but it wasn't the same. Acoustics have always been my favourite, and now I don't have a decent playable one and can't justify getting a replacement.

Local servers? Shit didn't expect that! Hopefully they aren't as messy as Titanfall was here at launch.

I think they're cool, but I definitely don't play well enough or even often enough to call myself a "guitarist". I know the kind of tone warrior you're talking about though.

Many years ago I chose a plastic (technically "glass" but it sure looks plastic) framed Garrison acoustic guitar over a more traditional Maton because I bought into the marketing crap and hey it sounded nice at the time. Ten years later and the bridge started lifting which warped the soundboard and screwed up the action. By that time Garrison had been bought out by Gibson and the Canadian factory shut down. I paid to get it fixed but it wasn't the same. Acoustics have always been my favourite, and now I don't have a decent playable one and can't justify getting a replacement.

Smash a spider with it. The wife will have no choice but to write a cheque out of the defence budget to replace it!

Yes that's how I got a new keyboard

markot

Banned
Destiny and an Assassins creed game? Wow, and I thought those terrible 10 game bundles with names you never heard of were bad.

Made the mistake of going physical copy with Destiny (for the Ghost thingy really) and now I'm sitting here knowing I'm not getting the game until tomorrow and not going to midnight launch with buddies...feels bad. It's always great to have a few beers and get hyped before the midnight release.

Deeku

I really don't care much about Destiny, but dat white ps4 is pretty nice lookin...

I mean, it's either I get that or wait a while longer for the dragon quest silver ps4 or other colours/limited editions

Darren870

Any Melbourne based IT guys here that know any companies that are looking for a sysadmin?

Have a mate that got let go recently and is looking for work.

That or if you have any recruiters that you know in that space.

Any Melbourne based IT guys here that know any companies that are looking for a sysadmin?

Have a mate that got let go recently and is looking for work.

That or if you have any recruiters that you know in that space.

Nothing specific but I have a few friends who do sysadmin work for private schools and it's a relative gold mine if you can land it.

markot

Banned
Remember when mortal kombat was a really good fighting series that people loved cause of its deep and fun and interesting mechanics, and it wasn't just popular due to blood and fatalities? Oh wait.

Personally I'm hoping for a lengthy viciouskillersquirrel post on the subject, but he hasn't posted in ages :(
I haven't really been following it either, but the whole pushback by the fedora crowd seems to be analogous to the outright hostility toward "casual gamers" and games aimed toward them a few years back before the Wii market dried up. That, and the reaction to Facebook buying Oculus Rift.

Basically, "gamer" is an identity now, and this identity is threatened by newcomers to the medium, especially those who threaten to influence what games get made with their unorthodox spending habits. The DS, the Wii, Facebook, iOS et al had/have real influence and a real effect on markets and developer dollars. Because this means that AAA ultra-high-fidelity productions that heavy gamers live for are less frequent as a result, these 'incursions' are not welcomed. Feminist game journalists are just the latest in a log line of people who threaten change.

Also, gaming has a whole culture built up around it, and this culture is, in some ways, predicated around being an outcast from an unjust, machismo-obsessed mainstream society. The Drum article hit the nail on the head when the author pointed out that this is why the very idea of being part of the problem meets with hostility.

I don't know that there is much more to add here.

Too busy going home to be a family man :(

Hope things are going well with the job VKS!
Thanks. The job keeps me very busy, so I don't get to post as much as I used to. To be fair though, I used to post a lot, so even with the big reduction, my daily post count is still pretty high.

If ever I do something that's actually important, I worry my GAF posts will be my biggest body of published work, and historians will piece my life together from the posts I made on a forum about video games. They'll be all like "Yeah, he did this big thing, but man, was he ever a Ninty fanboy!"

Fedora crowd? I thought objectifying entire groups was the whole point.
It's a quick shorthand for a certain type of obliviously sexist, yet less traditionally masculine guy. There are issues of collusion between PR and media, but I honestly think those are beside the point and not the main motivator.

This might give you $20 off that JB Destiny bundle. Can't be 100% sure it will work due to the '$100 max transaction' thing. Worth a shot.

Dick Smith apparently shipped my Destiny copy this morning.

Yeah they should ship the day before.

They didn't with Diablo 3 though. Had to wait an extra 5 days! >_<

My local store got copies this afternoon, got a text from one of the employees letting us all know we can pickup at 9am!

kyser73

Soon...Destiny...I'd like to jump in, but I'm basically shite at FPS games.

Waddya reckon kids? Pay day Friday and I'm not so enamoured I need to go in Day 1. Reckon pre-owned values will stay high?

Quasar

Also, gaming has a whole culture built up around it, and this culture is, in some ways, predicated around being an outcast from an unjust, machismo-obsessed mainstream society. The Drum article hit the nail on the head when the author pointed out that this is why the very idea of being part of the problem meets with hostility.

Thats just hilarious given the modern console AAA market is built on super testosterone fueled games. Games might have started with us Sportsball hating nerds on computers but the AAA gaming market hasn't been that in a long time. Its all CoD/BF and Madden/FIFA.

Not that I have a problem with that beyond how the shooter dominance restricts resources for game types I care about.

jambo

Does anyone else find it interesting that EA/Maxis were crucified in the Sims 4 review embargo thread, but everyone is fine with Activision/Bungie delaying reviews?

Axiom

Well while I'm sure double standards have something to do with it, it makes sense Bungie get a little more benefit of the doubt than EA and Maxis do. SimCity did happen.

But so much of Destiny is cribbing from mmo's that it makes sense that initial reviews are pointless and frankly it could easily run into a similar problem that SimCity did (when it worked) in that it makes an excellent first impression and falls apart after in-depth play.

I can't afford to pick up my ghost edition pre-order today, I hate the world. Stupid car problems.

hidys

Does anyone else find it interesting that EA/Maxis were crucified in the Sims 4 review embargo thread, but everyone is fine with Activision/Bungie delaying reviews?

I won't entirely excuse this BUT we have had a beta for Destiny running for some time now.

So we at least have some idea of the quality of Destiny.

For guys with US PS4s/ PSN accounts, have you had any problems using a US system in Australia (apart from changing the power cord)? Do you get put on AU servers (or wherever the nearest ones are?)

I want to know what's up with this as well. If I get a local Destiny bundle, there won't be any problems playing it using a US PSN account right?

No
Bodyboarder
Banana
jambo
Darren870

Probably Not

Kritz

Yes

Shaneus
reptilescorpio
Dimefan3
MTE
Clipper
Vormund
hidys
Marshmellow

I have also added myself to the google register Clipper

Quasar

Well while I'm sure double standards have something to do with it, it makes sense Bungie get a little more benefit of the doubt than EA and Maxis do. SimCity did happen.

Well Sim City (which I really enjoyed during the 'beta' ) and other things is pretty much why I'm in favour of this approach for games with a major online component.

Gazunta

I think Sim City copped more flack because people didn't think of Sim City as an online game. We've been conditioned to just expect shooters to be online now.

For guys with US PS4s/ PSN accounts, have you had any problems using a US system in Australia (apart from changing the power cord)? Do you get put on AU servers (or wherever the nearest ones are?)

No problems for me, and I use the same cord with an adapter.

No, unless you play from your AU account, you won't automatically be put on AU servers afaik.

r1chard

Saw a great article which basically pointed out that most people currently writing about games are not journalists, they're enthusiasts, so it's not surprising that they have relationships with people also in the industry (even if it's just buying their games or supporting their kickstarter).

No link tho, soz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom