• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Auspost, deliver me my Destiny now so I can ditch work early and actually enjoy myself :)

That's the last time I forget to double check my online preorder for having shipping instead of pick up. Fuck it.

Yeah no way I will rely on postage services to get a game day one again after the fuck up that was Diablo 3. More than happy to pickup up Destiny today.

Saw a great article which basically pointed out that most people currently writing about games are not journalists, they're enthusiasts, so it's not surprising that they have relationships with people also in the industry (even if it's just buying their games or supporting their kickstarter).

No link tho, soz.
Most people are fine with that and understand that. The sticking point is not being transparent about these relationships.

I'm all for enthusiastic people as long as I can gauge their bias.

Works fine I signed up then got the voucher and picked up a PS4 copy today for $55.20

Awesome news!

Darklord

Banned
JB Online are fast as hell. I got my copy of Destiny delivered at 9:30am today. They used Toll as well so no shitty Auspost.

But I'm working till 10pm.
LbEbK.gif

Quasar

How trust worthy are crucial though (and what kind of controllers do they use)? My only SSD experience is with Samsung.

Guess I nee to see if Allyn Malventano has reviewed any.

Tommy DJ

Crucial had some god awful SSDs in the form of the M4 series. It was basically firmware bug after firmware bug.

The thing with SSDs is that there is a market leader and its basically the market leader in every worthwhile metric. That's Samsung and its been like that for a while. The 250GB Samsung 840 EVO is only $8 more than that 256GB Crucial MX100, it isn't on special, and supports RAPID (this shit is bananas on the 850 Pro) so...

Yeah the Gold headset is called Wireless 2.0 here for some reason. I imported from Amazon when it was on special, was like AUD$99 posted. I love the Gold headset, really great sound quality for the price you pay, wireless and can be used with any device. I use them wirelessly on PS4 and PC. Embedded mic is decent quality too.

Crucial had some god awful SSDs in the form of the M4 series. It was basically firmware bug after firmware bug.

The thing with SSDs is that there is a market leader and its basically the market leader in every worthwhile metric. That's Samsung and its been like that for a while. The 250GB Samsung 840 EVO is only $8 more than that 256GB Crucial MX100, it isn't on special, and supports RAPID (this shit is bananas on the 850 Pro) so...

Really? Had my Crucial for 3 years now I think, no issues so far.

What are the speeds like on the 840? If it's as fast as the MX100 that's a good deal.

What happened to Kritz1 though 6. Are they the first 6 Kritzs throughout the dimensions who bought a PS3/PS4/Vita before you?

Sent friend request to all your friends too!

Tommy DJ

Really? Had my Crucial for 3 years now I think, no issues so far.

What are the speeds like on the 840? If it's as fast as the MX100 that's a good deal.

The stock 840 EVO is about the same as the MX100. With RAPID and in certain operations, it leaves any non-Samsung SSD in the dust. Its bananas if you're doing anything with VMs and have a decent amount of spare RAM.

It's a bit belated but many thanks to Danoss, I did end up buying a Fuji X20 camera. Haven't had the chance to use it too much yet though.

I've also become a big fan of the Korean show bumdidly has been subbing, Abnormal Summit! First few episodes were a bit more boring but it's picked up well (and in the ratings too it seems) and it's keeping me interested until The Genius Season 3 starts on October 1st!

That show looks decent if it weren't for that Josh Thomas twerp. Can he not pick an accent an stick with it? When he pronounces hurts "hahts" in the promo, I want to punch the fuck out of the TV.

Sorry but he's the showrunner so the show would be quite a different show without him lol. It's one of the best formatted dramary sitcom shows outta Australia I've seen in the last few years and it seems that's been recognised by it getting picked up and financed by American channel Pivot for its second season. But yeah a lotta people seem to have a strong negative reaction to Thomas's voice, demeanour etc.

I don't think I suggested that this doesn't occur? I don't disagree with that and I'm not too sure what you're asking. Sorry, English isn't actually my first language so expressing myself clearly isn't always easy.

I would like to echo the surprise that English isn't your first language. Which is?

That quote makes it sound like the type of person that used to get made fun of is now the person making fun of others. I think it's more likely that the type of person that used to get made fun of is still being made fun of and the type of person making fun of others is still doing so.

I think the mistake is to assume that "nerds" got made fun of for playing video games, and now that people who play video games are making fun of other people, it must be these same "nerds" doing it. What has happened is that video games are no longer a nerdy pursuit, and nor is internet use.

Basically I think of all the mean bullshit I got made fun of for in school and imagine what they would have been like on the internet. I don't want to sound ageist, so tell me if I am, but young teens with raging hormones can be mean as shit, and now they have a worldwide public voice.

The thread has moved on but I've been away for the weekend so I don't care, I want to have my opinion heard haha.

I think you make a good point about the widening of games/nerds/whatever's demographics so the bullies could very well be the same 'type' of people as in other mediums and the different time & space as before. But I also found myself concurring with tommy's point about nerds becoming bullies. I'd argue extreme behaviour can produce extreme reactions so speaking incredibly generally people who are bullied in childhood/adolescence can either (with various other possibilities too though, a continuum of reactions, simultaneous conflicting opinions, etc etc) grow up to have a strong negative opinion of bullying and because of their experience do much in their power to fight against it or they can go to the other extreme and adopt the same bullying behaviour and voila nerds being internet bullies.

That's the problem with this type of discussion between ordinary people like this. There's no way to qualify/quantify the theories we're purporting, so while we all may say some sensible sounding explanations there's no way to really know. It is fun though!

Shaneus

So dudes. I know we had a discussion on RAID for things a few months ago or something. But this time I wanna know stuff for myself.

I'm building a HTPC/NAS thing, have an H310 RAID card, which I've recently found out is actually quite shit for RAID because it has no cache. But it works fine as a dumb header card thingy.

So.

I'm looking for a software-based RAID(ish) solution that will run on this box (Core i3-2100) alongside media providing software (likely XBMC). I know Windows 8/2012 has some new solution which seems pretty nifty, but I know one of the important things is portability of drives between devices (so you don't need to have the exact same config to use it etc.). I'd use the parity solution in that, but I dunno how "portable" it is.

Anyone have any other ideas? I know I could go a Linux-based solution like ZFS or plain old RAID, but I know ZFS is resource-intensive and I know dick about setting up a Linux box. OpenELEC is out as that's a standalone OS (no storage solutions there) so the only kinda option there is XBMCbuntu.

So there's that, but I think I'm leaning towards:
*Windows Server 2012 R2 (leanish, fast booting like a Linux distro)
*The Windows filesystem thingy called Storage Spaces. Could go either parity-based or mirrored storage. But I don't know how "plug and play" that would leave the drives if I wanted to shove them in another box to read from.
*Mediaportal with Windows Media Centre. So I can get my media and TV tuning on.

Is there some other Windows-based software solution that would do the trick? My only real requirements are that it doesn't delay the boot process (much), doesn't have a lot of CPU/RAM overhead and isn't slow as shit.

Thanks, AusGAF.

PS. I have 7x 2TB drives, but it's not a big deal if I cut that down to 6 (should I go mirroring).

I'm building a HTPC/NAS thing, have an H310 RAID card
What's the purpose of the NAS? How many machines will it simultaneously serve? What sort of throughput do you need?

I suspect the answers will reveal you won't need something particularly snappy (watching an HD video frequently only takes <5MB/s, or 50Mb).

Check out unRAID or ... whatever the new thing is. Storage Spaces is the evolution of the Windows Home Server storage thing and I hear it's OK, but haven't used it myself.

Dimefan3

Is it just me, or has YouTube been upping the frequency of their ads lately? It used be only every half a dozen videos, now it's almost every one.

Still, you keep forcing them on me Google - I'll keep muting them.

Card Boy

Banned
Is it just me, or has YouTube been upping the frequency of their ads lately? It used be only every half a dozen videos, now it's almost every one.

Still, you keep forcing them on me Google - I'll keep muting them.

Or you can use Adblock Plus, I haven't see a Youtube ad for years.

Well Destiny is still stupidly addictive. Thanks for playing Vormund!

Servers are holding up fine too. Impressed shit didn't break for once lol

Had like 30+ friends playing Destiny. Insanely popular at launch.

That's good to hear. I would have put money on them crashing and burning.

I myself know one person playing (on xbone), the problem is all my friends are PC gamers. Did you play much by yourself?

jambo

Missus played some Destiny, was enjoying it.

I played a bit and enjoyed it.

I'll probably play a bit, but no way I'll be regular enough to keep up with everyone else.

Shaneus

What's the purpose of the NAS? How many machines will it simultaneously serve? What sort of throughput do you need?

I suspect the answers will reveal you won't need something particularly snappy (watching an HD video frequently only takes <5MB/s, or 50Mb).

Check out unRAID or ... whatever the new thing is. Storage Spaces is the evolution of the Windows Home Server storage thing and I hear it's OK, but haven't used it myself.
It's less a hardcore file server (would be used solely for the occasional file backup from PC, otherwise completely media) and more a HTPC :)

Have a look at https://stablebit.com/DrivePool . Similar to storage spaces but the data is stored in plain NTFS format so you can stick your disks in anything that can read NTFS.
That looks perfect! Essentially seems to be file mirroring (but only on the folders you choose) and speeds up reads on duplicated folders. Cheap as hell (for what it does), too. And keeps compatibility. Think we have a winner.

hidys

I have a feeling that I'll be spending playing a lot of video games this weekend.

Lets just say it is my...

Destiny

Yeah, made it to level 9 and finished the strike with Toasty and Mandiller. Strike is definitely harder than the beta.

Darklord

Banned
How do I see who's online in AusGAF's clan on PS4? I was playing for the last two hours by myself cause no one wants to team up and I have no idea how to view clan members. I can see friends, who's in the current instance with me, and my fire team.

Kritz

Banned
Yeah, Destiny's fine. I wish it had some kind of story, or characters, or whatever. But it's fine. The shooting feels fine - it plays better than videos make it out.

I played two or three hours with ham, and coop is pretty darn fun. It plays pretty different to SP though, since I basically stopped caring about dying completely, and we got through a lot of encounters just by keeping someone alive to revive the other ones.

Bosses are pretty boring to fight, though. Like the giant spider robot that took 20 minutes to kill, or the giant eyeball which took half that time but was even duller. Those things just really killed the pacing because they weren't interesting to fight, they just required you to shoot them a bunch and then take cover while they shot at you, rinse repeat.

Not sure how those encounters play out solo, though.

Quasar

So does everyone have their Apple Watches pre-ordered?

Givens prices beyond the entry level dont exist, no.

Of course I don't have any interest in the category. I've never even owned a watch. And so I have no interest in an expensive watch that gives me phone notifications on my wrist that I have to charge every night.

I am curious to see what they are priced at. The entry level one is 350US. So what will the fancy gold one be? 1000$?

Add that to the 1200$ iphone 6s.

I myself know one person playing (on xbone), the problem is all my friends are PC gamers. Did you play much by yourself?
I did an hour alone just doing the story missions until Vormund jumped into my fireteam. That first hour I still had 3 or 4 people kinda tag along for a while at points.

The $$$ were spent on making the ambient areas work I expect, you aren't ever really alone aside from when you are inside buildings doing a specific mission. Once you run outside the area can have up to like 10 people going about their business. Means you can take a breather half way through a mission to do a community event, like take out a tank protecting a gravity drill.

How next gen is everyone feeling?
About the same as the beta although Second Son was probably my big "this is next gen" moment in terms of graphics/technical ability.

Yeah, made it to level 9 and finished the strike with Toasty and Mandiller. Strike is definitely harder than the beta.
Nice! Hope to try for the no deaths strike soon, level 7 after 2 hours playing.

How do I see who's online in AusGAF's clan on PS4? I was playing for the last two hours by myself cause no one wants to team up and I have no idea how to view clan members. I can see friends, who's in the current instance with me, and my fire team.
You can use the iOS/Android app or the website or ingame press Options then L1 across to roster and it will show you a list in the middle of all your friends online (make sure to add the clan to your friends list!)

If you want to join someone to your fireteam who ISNT on your friends list you have to press right stick while looking at them and select Interact and then add them to the fireteam.

Thanks for reviving me so often! :D

I'll be on tonight as well, I'll invite whoever I see on.

Heh you were pretty low level to be running those missions so I expected it may happen a bit, good bit of power levelling that! Basically at the point where we can run most of the Earth missions now and have a bit more fun.

Once you hit higher levels it becomes a ton more fun as everyone has more powers and perks. Makes those bosses Kritz mentioned a lot more interesting, that spider tank can be taken out super quick if you know how (focus fire on one leg each, hit weak spot for MAXIMUM DAMAGE, focus fire on next leg, repeat).

Yep Destiny servers in Aus were a lovely experience last night. Similar to above posts I had 27 friends online playing Destiny. BAM! That's good stuff indeed. The atmosphere is what brings me into this game, it oozes atmosphere.

Shaneus

So does everyone have their Apple Watches pre-ordered?
That Apple is going the rounded-phone route disappoints me. It's partially a throwback to the 3GS, partially a nod to every single generic Android device out there. Cemented my decision to get a 5S (or maybe even a 5C) once people start getting rid of them cheap.

On that note, anyone have a 32GB white 5S they'd want to get rid of?

Did you see that super cheap Z1 mini deal I tweeted you Shaneus? I thought you wanted one of those!

Also did you play First Light yet?????

Also I wasn't expecting something cooler looking for the iWatch. Super expensive too!

iPhone 6+ is a beast. 5.5" is the absolute max I would go with a phone I expect, might even be a little too big. Might have to have a hold and see.
The 6 is pleb tier though, should be cheap as shit you expect. DPI is lower than I would expect :/

iPhone 6+ is a beast. 5.5" is the absolute max I would go with a phone I expect, might even be a little too big. Might have to have a hold and see.
The 6 is pleb tier though, should be cheap as shit you expect. DPI is lower than I would expect :/
iPhone 6 is $870 for the cheapest model. The Plus 128GB is $1250.

A 5.5" phone is fine, and my hands aren't exactly big, though it may have trouble in some pockets (currently using a 4" phone, waiting to see if Google are going to release another Nexus).

It's partially a throwback to the 3GS, partially a nod to every single generic Android device out there.
Definitely meant to evoke older iPhones. I think the shape is hideous. I also think Steve Jobs would've hated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom