• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the 6+ fits into a standard pants/shorts pocket I'll go that one to upgrade from 5c. I'll reserve judgement on if the watch is any actual use before having that wank factor on my wrist though.

Okay, I'll be joining you guys in Destiny tonight!

I use a US PSN account, but that doesn't mean we can't party up together right?

Anyone who wants to play on PS4, add me: Poimandre

I need to get a new phone soon so I'll look at the 6 and 6+ in a store and make a decision.
Depends on other things of course. The watch would be useful if I was a watch wearer and a sociable one at that. The watch thing was pretty meh at the start, until they started outlining some of the stuff it did, and then kept going for an hour with cool stuff the watch did.

The worst part of the presentation was trying to watch it live, the stream kept fucking up, or had a chinese translator speaking over the top, or cutting to an ad. I missed most of the phone stuff. As I said, I need something to replace my 4. Yes, I have a 4 year old phone.

My list of things causing me stress with returning to Australia has gone down significantly today since I managed to sell my car (oh so that's what being beaten with a crow bar feels like). Just have to load my meagre belongings into rednted truck on Friday and take it to the dump. I wanted a UHaul but I could only get a Penske. So I can just say I'm Penske material.

Also, I have discovered a new skill. It's called flushing large amounts of money down the toilet.

I have Destiny but no time to play. Fuck you, circumstances!

iPhone 6 is $870 for the cheapest model. The Plus 128GB is $1250.
What the farkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

That's a lot of money o_O

Guess I'll just hold out for a 1+ 1 like I had planned.

Okay, I'll be joining you guys in Destiny tonight!

I use a US PSN account, but that doesn't mean we can't party up together right?

Anyone who wants to play on PS4, add me: Poimandre

Woo! Yeah can play with anyone, not region locked. I'll add you now.

jambo

iPhones have always been incredibly pricey.

This has been doing the rounds on Twitter this morning

a2jdd98.jpg

Fredescu

That's the problem with this type of discussion between ordinary people like this. There's no way to qualify/quantify the theories we're purporting, so while we all may say some sensible sounding explanations there's no way to really know. It is fun though!

I think the differing theories all sound right because they're all true to an extent, but none of them are true for all cases. The most correct theory was Clives. "Like people, some of them are just jerks."

Might look at the 16GB, hoping to spend $300 at most but might go a little more depending on how the finances hold up for PAX!
If Google releases/announces a new Nexus phone (presumably mid-late next month based on previous announcements, though there's rumours they may be killing off Nexus), then the Nexus 5 will probably receive a discount of $50-100. But there's no guarantees.

Dimefan3

iPhones have always been incredibly pricey.

This has been doing the rounds on Twitter this morning

a2jdd98.jpg

That made me laugh hard, even as an Apple user.

Honestly I'm a bit tempted to go with Samsung Galaxy or an HTC. My optus plan is up at the end of September, and I'm going back to Telstra, mainly because I'm sick of my phone dropping signal completely in the middle of a shopping centre in the Sydney CBD.

Shaneus

Definitely meant to evoke older iPhones. I think the shape is hideous. I also think Steve Jobs would've hated it.
Ahh. I agree on the last point. From a design point of view, there's very little that's unique, interesting or clean about it. It's just too busy.

Still looking to get a 5S. Almost consider getting one on a plan, but then I remember how long/well my investment in buying my 32GB 4S on launch was. Would be wise to buy now as well, that way I'm guaranteed I'll get iOS7 and thusly be guaranteed able to jailbreak.

hamchan

I like that it's not just me thinking the Apple Watch looks hideous and the iPhone 6 is just copying everything from Android phones. And I like Apple products too but it looks like it'll take a while for me to upgrade from my iPhone 5.

Did everyone here join the Destiny GAF clan for Aus? I'd love some more people to play with but the whole process of clans seems confusing.

Please add me on PSN if you're keen to play.

ID: SuttonDagger

The more closer Netflix is to launching in Australia, the more ridiculous the statements coming out of Foxtel/Murdoch are.

Apparently it's a Library service with old content.

Unlike Foxtel, which is a platform that just rehashes old content whenever it decides.

I'm looking forward to seeing Foxtel lose it's monopoly and crash and burn.

jambo

Did everyone here join the Destiny GAF clan for Aus? I'd love some more people to play with but the whole process of clans seems confusing.

I think I joined it, honestly not sure and haven't checked the site yet.

I can play on PS4, how does one go about using voice comms on a PS4?

Netflix will likely be pretty terrible when it launches here.

I was living in Canada when it launched there, and it was terrible at first (but still great for cult entertainment).

But once it gains traction, and it will/should once Netflix see how keen Australians are for it, then they'll have the momentum to put better content on it.

Vormund

I think I joined it, honestly not sure and haven't checked the site yet.

I can play on PS4, how does one go about using voice comms on a PS4?

You can just chat in the fire team in-game. That said, when I played with Rep last night, he was a bit muffled compared to when I am in a party.

hidys

I was living in Canada when it launched there, and it was terrible at first (but still great for cult entertainment).

But once it gains traction, and it will/should once Netflix see how keen Australians are for it, then they'll have the momentum to put better content on it.

I guess but it is also possible that Australians will continue to piggy back off the US version.

hidys

Some of the Foxtel rep's arguments, at least at the start, are reasonable. Services like HBO Go, for example, aren't included with something like Netflix.

However, fuck Foxtel, the sooner they die the better.

I agree with this.

Although it is important to note that foxtel provides some services that only it can provide, sports for instance (unless that completely spreads to the internet).

I agree with this.

Although it is important to note that foxtel provides some services that only it can provide, sports for instance (unless that completely spreads to the internet).

Foxtel will always have a monopoly on Australian sports. Nothing will ever change that. It'll be it's bread and butter until it dies.

All top 4 US sports have an on-demand service though, usually all supported by media players.

Will we see an AFL/NRL equivalent of NHL Gamecenter/MLB.TV? That's what'll be the gamechanger.

Except for the final, all of the 2014 World Cup matches I watched were on either a PC or tablet. Foxtel's days are numbered if they don't try to shore up broadcasts this way too, especially with things like Chromecasts -- imagine being able to watch a match, selecting the cameras on your phone, bringing up stats etc, but having whatever you want on the TV at the same time. This stuff is already possible, meanwhile Foxtel still cling to an outdated business model.

Darren870

I need a new phone. What is a good phone to get (and cheaper)?

I'd rather get an android, not a fan of iphones really.

If anything, Id like it to have a good camera. So many times I don't have my camera or don't want to bring it around with me for a day out.

jambo

Foxtel will always have a monopoly on Australian sports. Nothing will ever change that. It'll be it's bread and butter until it dies.

All top 4 US sports have an on-demand service though, usually all supported by media players.

Will we see an AFL/NRL equivalent of NHL Gamecenter/MLB.TV? That's what'll be the gamechanger.

The AFL have had LIVE and On Demand streaming on PC, iOS and Android for a few years now

http://www.afl.com.au/mobile

http://watchafl.afl.com.au/

Quasar

I have to admit I've wondered why we do see such things for Cricket and the major ball sports. I guess for say a Cricket or a Soccer one its a rights nightmare, esp Cricket (as you'd want international events as well as the state domestic games).

But you'd think it would make the ARL and ARU enough cash that it would be worth pursuing rather than selling exclusive streaming rights to Foxtel.

While we are talking about phones, I have another One plus One 64GB invite if anyone is interested? Valid for 24 hours.

So does everyone have their Apple Watches pre-ordered?

You must be oblivious to the moto 360 :p

A 5.5" phone is fine, and my hands aren't exactly big, though it may have trouble in some pockets (currently using a 4" phone, waiting to see if Google are going to release another Nexus).

The 5" Nexus 5 doesn't feel big at all. I'm hoping the N6 is 5.2" and not 5.5" as rumoured.

Might look at the 16GB, hoping to spend $300 at most but might go a little more depending on how the finances hold up for PAX!

N5 price should drop as soon as Google is ready to announce the next Nexus, probably end of october. Some retailers have already slashed prices by $50.

While we are talking about phones, I have another One plus One 64GB invite if anyone is interested? Valid for 24 hours.

N5 price should drop as soon as Google is ready to announce the next Nexus, probably end of october. Some retailers have already slashed prices by $50.

How much is the 64GB 1+ 1? I wonder if that includes postage to Australia

Sooooo just wondering, any of you academia people know what regard Open Training Institute (Open Universities) is held in? Need to select somewhere do do a Diploma with and that seems my best all round option. Just want to make sure they don't have a garbage rep lol.

How much is the 64GB 1+ 1? I wonder if that includes postage to Australia

They don't post to Australia, you will need to arrange a shipping forwarder to do it for you.

I gave out a bunch of invites to friends, they all paid $40 over the $349 cost of the phone. That's in USD, so you're looking at $420 AUD roughly. Arrived in a week.

lexi

Banned
I suppose saying 'your art is getting better, I love it' is a bit like saying 'wow, have you lost weight?' but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Oh bee tee dubs I made a comic about Robotron 2084 just in case you're into that kind of thing

I suppose saying 'your art is getting better, I love it' is a bit like saying 'wow, have you lost weight?' but I'm gonna say it anyway.

I think the passion comes through in this case.

Cambo, when you like a game, as in this case, the comic turns out to be wonderful and brilliant and bonkers. And then, if you don't know the game at all, well *tugs collar to loosen invisible tie*
backer's comics

Also Eugene Jarvis's talk on Robotron was easily the best thing about this years's GDC

I'm thinking about ordering an aus phone this week. I had Optus for years and they were pretty ordinary compared to Telstra. Has this by any chance changed or should I just go for Telstra on a contract. For all the bad press AT&T used to get, the reception I've gotten here has pissed over anything I ever had with Optus.

Gazunta

Thanks Lexi, yes I have lost weight thanks for asking.

Clive yeah spot on, I think for the next Kickstarter
Any day now oh God help us all
I do I'm going to allocate a LOT more time to backer comics because a lot of them weren't as good as they could have been.

Glad people like the new stuff!

11:22AM
It may be ill-advised to play Coldplay in a context where someone has direct access to their wrists and a piece of super-strong glass.

Oh that's just fucking brilliant :)

I think the passion comes through in this case.

Cambo, when you like a game, as in this case, the comic turns out to be wonderful and brilliant and bonkers. And then, if you don't know the game at all, well *tugs collar to loosen invisible tie*
backer's comics

Also Eugene Jarvis's talk on Robotron was easily the best thing about this years's GDC

I'm thinking about ordering an aus phone this week. I had Optus for years and they were pretty ordinary compared to Telstra. Has this by any chance changed or should I just go for Telstra on a contract. For all the bad press AT&T used to get, the reception I've gotten here has pissed over anything I ever had with Optus.

If you already have a phone, I'd be going prepaid. Boost have unlimited talk/text/2gb data for 30 days. The kicker is they use telstra 3G so it's win win.

I'm out of contract soon and unless telstra give me an awesome retention deal I'll be going prepaid.

Darren870

I do prepaid as well, my bill is $22 a month and I often have left over voice and data. I don't have texts simply because I only use whatsapp or viber for texts as it is.

The 2 year iphone 4s plan by telstra is $59 min a month. Thats $1440 in total. I pay $528 for a 2 year plan that actually suites me. That $900 savings allows me to buy whatever phone I want.

I don't know why more people wouldn't do prepaid! So much easier and cost effective.

Now I need a new phone though, this old HTC is on its last legs. eBay is having a 15% off sale starting Sunday so might try to pick one up from a retailer off there.

Shaneus

This is amazing by the way: https://medium.com/message/apple-liveblog-september-9-2014-6a04ee8edd2

Read from the bottom up. So good.
10:41AM

Phil Schiller: “We’ve made a complete line of silicone cases that fit the new iPhone 6 plus, or you can simply reuse a standard twin-size fitted sheet.” -AD
Holy shit.

Oh, I've decided what to do with my HTPC thingy as well (if anyone here actually cared). Win 8.1 w/ WMC, Mediaportal and Stablebit Drivepool. Should have me covered for all media, TV and backup purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom