• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oi Shaneus, you played First Light yet?!?

Quick trip to the hospital, son couldn't fit all the WiiU cases back in the drawers of the TV stand. Pulled too hard on one when it got stuck and the TV fell on him o_O
Thankfully he's okay, just some grazing/cuts on his forehead and right cheek along with some swelling around the forehead hit. Cried a lot about maybe breaking the TV lol. Only had to say under observation at the hospital for an hour.

And hey look Tommy! 256GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD for $119 pickup! If there was a PLE locally here I would totally buy one today.
EDIT: Only $10 postage though. TEMPTING >.>

If you already have a phone, I'd be going prepaid. Boost have unlimited talk/text/2gb data for 30 days. The kicker is they use telstra 3G so it's win win.

I'm out of contract soon and unless telstra give me an awesome retention deal I'll be going prepaid.

Who is that with? I'll be going prepaid too. So much better value for a light user like me.

Quasar

Yeah. I've been using Amaysim for over a year now and am pretty happy. Optus coverage is spotty in places for me, but overall pretty good.

jambo

Quick trip to the hospital, son couldn't fit all the WiiU cases back in the drawers of the TV stand. Pulled too hard on one when it got stuck and the TV fell on him o_O
Thankfully he's okay, just some grazing/cuts on his forehead and right cheek along with some swelling around the forehead hit. Cried a lot about maybe breaking the TV lol. Only had to say under observation at the hospital for an hour.

How's the TV?

legend166

There's definitely a joke to be made about the Wii U there.

Anyway, I've got a Galaxy S5 with 20GB of data per month on 4G. Who cares about Apple?

hidys

Thats a first. I thought everyone hated it. Not that the apple one is alone. They are all like going to the city tip and trying to find something of value.

I just don't think I can switch to Android.

I'll just have to keep using this shitty Vodafone contract.

That watch though looks fucking stupid. Wearing a smart watch is the international sign of being a wanker.

Quasar

I just don't think I can switch to Android.

I'll just have to keep using this shitty Vodafone contract.

That watch though looks fucking stupid. Wearing a smart watch is the international sign of being a wanker.

It does look too bulky to me, but then I have a skinny wrist. Of course unless its independent of my phone the whole thing seems pointless to me. And I'm certainly not sold on that interface to choose apps. And it would be worse i imagine for folks with giant fingers.

hidys

It does look too bulky to me, but then I have a skinny wrist. Of course unless its independent of my phone the whole thing seems pointless to me.

I truly do not understand what it does. Why would I ever be in a situation where I would want to fiddle around with a small screen on my wrist when I could just pull out my phone and do exactly the same thing but easier?

This seems like a thing that will crash and burn. Just like all the other smart watches.

Thankfully he's okay, just some grazing/cuts on his forehead and right cheek along with some swelling around the forehead hit. Cried a lot about maybe breaking the TV lol. Only had to stay under observation at the hospital for an hour.

Glad he's okay. Probably wise to wall mount the tv so this doesn't happen again.

Story sounds dodgy. WiiU has no games...

That's why rep said 'cases'. Just empty cases.

Quasar

I truly do not understand what it does. Why would I ever be in a situation where I would want to fiddle around with a small screen on my wrist when I could just pull out my phone and do exactly the same thing but easier?

This seems like a thing that will crash and burn. Just like all the other smart watches.

Oh I think it will be successful, just that it (and the android wear devices) is very much a v1 of a product category. Like the old rio mp3 player or the original ipod.

wonzo

Banned
Foxtel will always have a monopoly on Australian sports. Nothing will ever change that. It'll be it's bread and butter until it dies.

All top 4 US sports have an on-demand service though, usually all supported by media players.

Will we see an AFL/NRL equivalent of NHL Gamecenter/MLB.TV? That's what'll be the gamechanger.
only a matter of time with foxtels declining subscriber base

Why would I ever be in a situation where I would want to fiddle around with a small screen on my wrist when I could just pull out my phone and do exactly the same thing but easier?
Exercising seems about the only time I imagine it would be useful, and there's already purpose built devices anyway. Maybe for subtly checking your phone on meetings or social situations? Otherwise, yeah, virtually pointless.

IMO Google Glass has potential better applications than watches. Not that I expect they'll ever gain traction in the current form.

Next gen has been cheap so far compared to last gen. Everything, including consoles, have been half the price lol

20140910_1839398jov5.jpg

Edit: wait, Diablo 3 was $55 posted >_<

Next gen has been cheap so far compared to last gen. Everything, including consoles, have been half the price lol

Edit: wait, Diablo 3 was $55 posted >_<

I only have 2 physical copies, rest everything is digital. And I paid about half what you did. US PSN store + amazon sale :)

But I agree with your point, next gen has been cheaper.

SeaCarrot

Banned
I have no idea how to go about this and I'm probably missing something smack bam thank you maam in my face, but how do I go about becoming part of Ausgaf?

Been registered on gaf a little while, lurked a long time before, really need some hombres to game with in my timezone!

PS4, Xbone, PC, I'm on em all.

Bernbaum

So I found out today that I finally cleared the last of my HECS/HELP debt. It's like getting an unexpected pay rise.

Feels good, man.

How did you find out? I'm close to closing mine out, but only because I enquired with the ATO. When it's finally paid off, I have to fill out a form advising my employer to stop making payments out of my salary.

legend166

How did you find out? I'm close to closing mine out, but only because I enquired with the ATO. When it's finally paid off, I have to fill out a form advising my employer to stop making payments out of my salary.

Doesn't it only get applied when you submit your tax return? So I guess the way to do it would be to see what you owed after your last tax return and then just calculate how much has been withheld so far this FY. If it's enough you can get your employer to stop taxing you extra.

Deeku

Playin a bit of the smash bros 3ds japan demo, game is preeeetty sweet!

Runs and looks kinda amazing so I'm pretty much sold on it even though I'm not huge on smash

Just played some destiny, not bad at all. Saw some people running around while I was doing the story mode though that was the most multiplayer experience I had. Am now up to the moon.

I had forgotten how rusty I was with controller FPS games. Kb/m I'm not to bad with. Just out of practice I suppose.

Though the real problem is, should I buy a ps4 to play it.
leaning towards no, but drive club is looking like a winner

Bernbaum

Doesn't it only get applied when you submit your tax return? So I guess the way to do it would be to see what you owed after your last tax return and then just calculate how much has been withheld so far this FY. If it's enough you can get your employer to stop taxing you extra.

HECS payments get taken out of my salary on a monthly basis, pre-tax along with my super. It's a fixed percentage of my salary and the advice I received was that my employer would continue making the payment until I tell them that the debt has been cleared. In the instance that I notified my employer and the ATO well after the debt was cleared, they would resolve any extra unnecessary payments come tax time.

Destiny has all the components but something is missing. I think it's Bungie's soul. Definitely a solid 8/10. Maybe a few content patches will help. And adding the grimoire in game.

markot

Banned
Hexen was shit. Bungee was always over rated. The only fps maker on macs. The only dedicated console fps game flagship!

They never go for real competition. They're too scared to even release on PC. You know. That place with like no fps gamers.

Arksy

Ok so Destiny is a good game, but from what I see here nothing is really compelling me to fork out for a new console just for that game...I might wait a while...I hate consoles.

That's a great achievement vks.
Not really. I just worked for a long time.
I found out I was close to the end because I changed loans on the house and the broker needed the information. That was when I found out the ATO doesn't send you paper statements anymore and you need to call their number to get a balance. I worked out that there wasn't long to go.

Then I submitted my tax return and only got back half of what the accountant estimated. I figured it was HECS/HELP that was responsible, so I called to check. Sure enough, debt cleared.

It's a weird feeling. Having a HECS debt had become just a normal, expected part of the background of my life.

If you loved the "high quality" storytelling of Halo then you will be disapointed in Destiny, as it has a strong focus on ambient story telling. It's a really odd restrained bombast in missions, I really like it but I was never a huge fan of DUDEBRO stuff.

Hoping to dig into it properly tonight, keep getting distracted by IRL stuff.

Shaneus

AusGAF. 32GB white iPhone 5S second-hand with some accessories:

What is included:
---------------------------------
- iPhone 5s Silver 32GB (WITH WARRANTY & existing screen protector)
- Original Wall Charger (still in plastic)
- Original Lightning USB Cable
- Original Box, Documentation, etc
- Original Apple EarPods with Remote & Mic HeadPhones (BRAND NEW - still in plastic)

Included Extras:
---------------------------------
- 1 x Original Apple Black Leather iPhone 5S Case
- 1 x Power Support Air Jacket Hard Shell Case
- 1 x Brand New Verbatim Black Case

- 1 x Brand New Belkin Matte Screen Protector
- 1 x Brand New Gecko Clear Screen Protector
- 1 x Gecko Clear screen film protector (which is currently on the phone)
$620. That's $180 cheaper than what they're going for new on Apple's website. Maybe I'd buy Applecare for another $whatever in case something needs to be fixed with warranty.

Good deal? Probably the cheapest I'll find anyone selling a 5S, I'm guessing.

markot

Banned
AusGAF. 32GB white iPhone 5S second-hand with some accessories:

$620. That's $180 cheaper than what they're going for new on Apple's website. Maybe I'd buy Applecare for another $whatever in case something needs to be fixed with warranty.

Good deal? Probably the cheapest I'll find anyone selling a 5S, I'm guessing.
Or you could buy a good phone.

Where is the best place to try and sell my iPhone 5 (normal, 64GB, White, good condition/only a few knicks) in Melbourne? Is Ebay still the best way?

I've always given my phones away because I've always had androids or phones with shit resale value. I then saw Optus might give me like 200 back, and if they are thinking of 200 back I figure I can probably get far more back selling it myself. I've never sold anything online though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom