• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the best place to try and sell my iPhone 5 (normal, 64GB, White, good condition/only a few knicks) in Melbourne? Is Ebay still the best way?

I've always given my phones away because I've always had androids or phones with shit resale value. I then saw Optus might give me like 200 back, and if they are thinking of 200 back I figure I can probably get far more back selling it myself. I've never sold anything online though.

Gumtree is quite popular. Never used it but I know Death Jnr sells/sold a ton of games through it. eBay/Paypal are too scary for me to sell things on since they side with the buyer most of the time.

Arksy

Yep. Instead of getting a console, I'm tempted to sink some money upgrading my monitor to one of those swanky QHD monitors you can get from Korea...but I feel like the resolution wars are just getting started.

Gumtree is quite popular. Never used it but I know Death Jnr sells/sold a ton of games through it. eBay/Paypal are too scary for me to sell things on since they side with the buyer most of the time.

I forgot about gumtree. Good call.

Does anyone have and sellers tips on phones? Obviously I would wipe my phone/take out the sim, how do I make sure it's unlocked? Are phones still locked in Australia (I haven't needed to think of this for years) at all?

Registered post, do I give them my BSB/Account number and wait for funds to clear for three days before sending?

senahorse

Really does sound like Destiny is failing to live up to the hype.

Not surprising, sounds like it's very repetitive from what the bombcast guys were saying. I guess it's easy to hide when you only give a slice of the game with the beta. Maybe Destiny 2 will be where it's at.

Ok so Destiny is a good game, but from what I see here nothing is really compelling me to fork out for a new console just for that game...I might wait a while...I hate consoles.

Speaking as someone who just forked out for a new console primarily to play Destiny... you are right! It looks/feels/sounds good, but it doesn't have the makings of a real system seller (like the original Halo for example). I kind of feel like I should have stuck to my original plan of waiting for Bloodborne before jumping on a PS4. The white PS4 and controller are very sexy though. It's sitting next to my white Wii U and they almost look like a family.

There are a few games I'd like to play, I just need to find out if they'd run better on PS4 than my PC (i5, 8gig ram, GTX670 2gb). PC is obviously the cheaper option, but I'd rather not deal with choppy performance if I have the choice. I'm specifically thinking about Metro, Wolfenstein and GTAV.

Arksy

Speaking as someone who just forked out for a new console primarily to play Destiny... you are right! It looks/feels/sounds good, but it doesn't have the makings of a real system seller (like the original Halo for example). I kind of feel like I should have stuck to my original plan of waiting for Bloodborne before jumping on a PS4. The white PS4 and controller are very sexy though. It's sitting next to my white Wii U and they almost look like a family.

There are a few games I'd like to play, I just need to find out if they'd run better on PS4 than my PC (i5, 8gig ram, GTX670 2gb). PC is obviously the cheaper option, but I'd rather not deal with choppy performance if I have the choice. I'm specifically thinking about Metro, Wolfenstein and GTAV.

They'll run better on your PC without a shadow of a doubt. At least at 1080p.

Keen for some fireteam action tonight? Destiny goes from decent game solo to great with randoms to awesome with friends. I'll be on between 7pm and 9pm at the least, will try to stay on until midnight tonight after piking early the last 2 nights lol

Also if I had an awesome GPU like that I would probably get back into PC gaming lol

They'll run better on your PC without a shadow of a doubt. At least at 1080p.

Excellent! Suits me just fine because games are cheaper there. I'm extremelly skeptical about GTAV but I guess we'll wait and see when it launches.

Keen for some fireteam action tonight? Destiny goes from decent game solo to great with randoms to awesome with friends. I'll be on between 7pm and 9pm at the least, will try to stay on until midnight tonight after piking early the last 2 nights lol

Also if I had an awesome GPU like that I would probably get back into PC gaming lol

Ah man, usually I would definitely be up for it but I'm heading to see Com Truise tonight. Honestly I'd probably rather just stay home playing Destiny :p

Ah man, usually I would definitely be up for it but I'm heading to see Com Truise tonight. Honestly I'd probably rather just stay home playing Destiny :p

.......fuck you >_<

Enjoy Com Truise! I'm jelly as fuck obviously. Freaking love his tunes. Triple J played one of his older Galactic Melt tracks the other day so I could groove my arse off in the office lol. I've been listening to his mixtapes a ton this last month

In any case feel free to jump into a fireteam with me if we are online at the same time!

Quasar

Does anyone have and sellers tips on phones? Obviously I would wipe my phone/take out the sim, how do I make sure it's unlocked? Are phones still locked in Australia (I haven't needed to think of this for years) at all?

I think phones on contract still are. I guess you'd need to ask your carrier to unlock it if you didn't buy it outright. But I've never had a phone contract so I don't really know.

Deeku

Well there's iphone fever here in Hong Kong..not because of people wanting the phone, but because Apple excluded China in the first round, so people here are gonna buy then sell for possibly double or something stupid lol. I think Apple has a 2 per name preorder limit so maybe it won't be too bad.

I'd participate, but a. I can't be bothered and b. I really hate it when this sorta thing happens with stuff I wana buy at a normal price, so I"m kinda semi morally against it!

Trancos

Registered post, do I give them my BSB/Account number and wait for funds to clear for three days before sending?

Take a picture of your IMEI NUMBER and serial number. Put that on the ad (minus the last few digits). One common fraud is people with broken iPhones buying the same model from EBay/Gumtree and then claiming the phone was DOA and returning the broken one for a full refund. Whitout the IMEI you have no way to proof that is not the mobile you sold them.

Always wait for the money first. I'd be a bit weary selling a phone via ebay etc. try for a face to face deal.

Darren870

Where is the best place to try and sell my iPhone 5 (normal, 64GB, White, good condition/only a few knicks) in Melbourne? Is Ebay still the best way?

I've always given my phones away because I've always had androids or phones with shit resale value. I then saw Optus might give me like 200 back, and if they are thinking of 200 back I figure I can probably get far more back selling it myself. I've never sold anything online though.

How much were you thinking of selling it for. I need a new phone, any reason you are selling it?

jambo

I'm going to post the questions, but remember that it isn't a requirement to answer them. It's just some silly fun.

The main thing to become part of this thread is posting in it and also popping into Steam chat and/or IRC as regularly as you see fit.

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax Debt Levy Abbott Budget suffocated so far?
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
iOS gamer or Android user?
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
UGG boots. Do you speak it?
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
Any glass eyeballs?
Are you the one killing 3rd party support for the WiiU delaying all the fucking videogames into 2015?
Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time.

Welcome to all the new posters and lurkers!

First game since Tomb Raider with only a female on the cover for me. Need some diversity on my shelf!

Should've bought Sayonara Umihara Kawase. Though that's digital only here so no cover to go on the shelf...

Actually, everyone with 3DSes should buy Sayonara Umihara Kawase while it's on sale for the next week or so.

I don't even remember where my 3DS is and you can't buy eStore stuff online sadly :(

Not sure if want.

Hmm.

Apparently the neon powers are way better than the one that Delsin got, more enjoyable to get around with.

Also Laura Bailey is awesome.

Also you can totally sell it afterwards if you want.

Although you are probably flat out for the next week playing Destiny so maybe wait for a sale on PSN!

I'm going to post the questions, but remember that it isn't a requirement to answer them. It's just some silly fun.

The main thing to become part of this thread is posting in it and also popping into Steam chat and/or IRC as regularly as you see fit.

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax Debt Levy Abbott Budget suffocated so far?
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
iOS gamer or Android user?
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
UGG boots. Do you speak it?
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
Any glass eyeballs?
Are you the one killing 3rd party support for the WiiU delaying all the fucking videogames into 2015?
Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time.

Welcome to all the new posters and lurkers!

So dated. Especially the sexist question
anyway the answer is Jenna Coleman

Gumtree is your best bet, but can be a pain to deal with people on there sometimes.

Listing on ebay is free, but you will have to pay a final value fee on the sale price, plus their new postage policy is very annoying.

List it on gumtree for a week, if nothing happens go to ebay.

Try using a sim from another telco in your phone, if it works, your phone should be unlocked. If it is a contract phone, 99% it will be locked.

Never post anything without getting money first. I always prefer dealing with people face to face, but that's not possible if the buyer is from another state. If you do meet a buyer, best to do it at a public place.

SeaCarrot

Banned
Excellent! Suits me just fine because games are cheaper there. I'm extremelly skeptical about GTAV but I guess we'll wait and see when it launches.

I would have been skeptical too, considering how awful the GTA IV port was. But I can run GTA IV absolutely maxed out at 60fps and given GTA V is on the same engine but more optimized, I can see me maxing that too.

i5 @ 4.7, 16GB and 280x 3gb. You should be able too as well.

If you want to fireteam on PS4 destiny add my psn too! BovineKotfizz
I need some PSN buds :)

I would have been skeptical too, considering how awful the GTA IV port was. But I can run GTA IV absolutely maxed out at 60fps and given GTA V is on the same engine but more optimized, I can see me maxing that too.

i5 @ 4.7, 16GB and 280x 3gb. You should be able too as well.

If you want to fireteam on PS4 destiny add my psn too! BovineKotfizz
I need some PSN buds :)

Your PC is beefier than mine
I'm jealous!
but if there is any sense in the world mine should be able to do GTAV justice. Still, I'm a "believe it when I see it" guy, especially when it comes to PC ports.

Will add you on PSN for Destiny action!

Shaneus

Anyone here getting Driveclub but not getting into that whole leagues thing in that other thread? I had a look and it all seems too formal (I dislike the idea of scheduled races and such, prefer to be a little more on the fly). I wanna be a part of a club, but only as a thing I can contribute to when I can, not something I have to be a part of at the drop of a hat.

Anyone here getting Driveclub but not getting into that whole leagues thing in that other thread? I had a look and it all seems too formal (I dislike the idea of scheduled races and such, prefer to be a little more on the fly). I wanna be a part of a club, but only as a thing I can contribute to when I can, not something I have to be a part of at the drop of a hat.

*makes whipped noise*

senahorse

So I have created a list of games I am interested in for the remainder of the year, once again this time of year kind of sucks so I will need to choose wisely or add to the stupidly large backlog.

Fable Anniversary 12-Sep
Wasteland 2 19-Sep
Gauntlet 23-Sep
Shadow of Mordor 30-Sep
Alien Isolation 7-Oct
Ryse (for $21 why not) 10-Oct
The Evil Within 14-Oct
Borderlands Pre-Sequel (maybe) 14-Sep
Civ Beyond Earth 24-Sep
The Crew (maybe) 11-Nov
Assassin's Creed Unity (probably wait for sale) 11-Nov
Dragon Age Inquisition 18-Nov
Far Cry 4 18-Nov
Lara Croft Temple of Osiris 9-Dec

No Date
Dreamfall Chapters
Pillars of Eternity

They did give me new U2 for free so I don't hate them too much.

That's a crime against humanity.

This is amazing by the way: https://medium.com/message/apple-liveblog-september-9-2014-6a04ee8edd2

Read from the bottom up. So good.

Hah enjoyed this, thanks for posting.

Sup AusGaf, newbie here, came to say hi. Might scope out that steam group for some gaming pals.

Hi, nice hat.

Yep. Instead of getting a console, I'm tempted to sink some money upgrading my monitor to one of those swanky QHD monitors you can get from Korea...but I feel like the resolution wars are just getting started.

ooh I forgot about those. I wonder if I could get one for much cheaper actually being in Korealand

markot

Banned
Shouldnt it be ill legal for people to say 'interest free over 50 months!' if in lieu of interest you pay fees that amount to a pretty high interest rate? And then if you miss a payment or what nots, you have to pay the fees + the higher interest rate?

HARVEY GO!

Kritz

Banned
So I have created a list of games I am interested in for the remainder of the year, once again this time of year kind of sucks so I will need to choose wisely or add to the stupidly large backlog.

wow this is going to be the easiest holiday season ever to save money.

markot

Banned
Fable Anniversary 12-Sep
Wasteland 2 19-Sep
Gauntlet 23-Sep
Shadow of Mordor 30-Sep
Alien Isolation 7-Oct
Ryse (for $21 why not) 10-Oct
The Evil Within 14-Oct
Borderlands Pre-Sequel (maybe) 14-Sep
Civ Beyond Earth 24-Sep
The Crew (maybe) 11-Nov
Assassin's Creed Unity (probably wait for sale) 11-Nov
Dragon Age Inquisition 18-Nov
Far Cry 4 18-Nov
Lara Croft Temple of Osiris 9-Dec

Is this like a find the diamond in the turd kind of thing? IS IT CIV?! WHAT DO I WIN!

Only things I want there are maybe Alien and the Mikami game if they turn out any good. Rest of the year for me:

September
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS)
Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)

October
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

November
Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)
Tales of Hearts R (probably won't buy this one for ages) (Vita)
Hatsune Mike Project Diva F 2nd (PS3)

December
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix (gonna wait for a time when I haven't got anything else to play for this one) (PS3)

If It Comes Out This Year
Smash Bros. 4 Wii U

Dead Man

2nd non annual Radgaf meetup official list thingy

Where:
The elephant. Off Rundle St, Adelaide.

When:
September 20th 2014

Who:

Going-
Dead Man
Lucian Cat
Mr Tone
Jambo
Frawdder

Maybe-
Dryk
Vormund
friend of Lucian's

Join us peeps.
I may or may not be drunkely visiting this place afterwards. All are welcome to join me

Did we really make this for a Saturday nigh? Bah, only two social events in the whole year and they are on the same night.

I'll still be there, may just get there late or have to leave early.

Tommy DJ

IMHO the thing to look out for are faster and adaptive refresh rates. If you don't have a monster of a desktop and eagle eyes, 4K will be very disappointing. Even if you do have both, most 4K monitors will probably disappoint you since they all use very matte screen coatings that destroy image quality on high pixel pitch displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom