• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Ozgameshop have a 10% off sale off everything today, just pre-ordered The Evil Within (Steam code) for $38AU, they also have Wasteland 2 Steam code pre-orders on there for those interested.

Darren870

same here. I heartily recommend xe.com's currency trading thing for sending large amounts between countries. You get pretty good rates (BTW the number people talk about is the mid-market rate, you never, ever get that). You can only do CAN$25k at a time to start with (they are based in Canada) but you can get them to increase.

as in when I was sending money to the US from my Aussie accounts, the mid-market rate would be AUD$1 buys US$0.95, XE would give me around $93.5 compared to what I would get off a CC or using a Bank for forex (more likely around 92.

Ahh I use Transferwise (have transaction free codes if anyone wants them). It only goes into AUD though. I've found it gives the closest to midmarket rates and avoids the nasty bank fees. Ozforex is good too.

The missus and I are sending about $200k over between USD/GBP so any market news that would send the AUD down would be better. I wasn't thinking before when I said I wanted it to stay up :)

------------

New note: With the 15% ebay deal I am going to bite the bullet and get a new phone. Anyone have any recommendations? I want something that has a good camera, ideally 10+ MegaPixal would be good. I like Android phones, but I'm not really 100% loyal.

Anyone have any suggestions?

New note: With the 15% ebay deal I am going to bite the bullet and get a new phone. Anyone have any recommendations? I want something that has a good camera, ideally 10+ MegaPixal would be good. I like Android phones, but I'm not really 100% loyal.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Can't get on while at work but I was eyeing off a 1+ 1 64GB for about $400 posted yesterday. Didn't bite as I'm not sure on the size, my Galaxy S2 is pretty much spot on in terms of how big I want my phone.
I'll checkout Death Jnrs at PAX and see what I think!

Darren870

Can't get on while at work but I was eyeing off a 1+ 1 64GB for about $400 posted yesterday. Didn't bite as I'm not sure on the size, my Galaxy S2 is pretty much spot on in terms of how big I want my phone.

Yea, I was checking that out too. However I did a size chart and its HUGE. I mean i thought the S4 & 5 were big. I was comparing some this weekend to my phone (HTC Desire S510) and the gf Phone (4s). The 1+1 is just huge. Thats what put me off the most, but IDK maybe I could get used to it.

Stackboy

Despite the mediocre reviews I am really enjoying Destiny. I wish I had more time to play it, but between moving this week and getting married a few weeks after that, I'm afraid I won't get much time with it at all.

Lexi, why do you want to see Bungie and Rockstar fail?

senahorse

I passed on going that route, apparently the ones on ebay are the Chinese version (made for the Chinese market), which come with another OS than cyanogen, or have been flashed pre-sale, apparently this voids the warranty, also some have said the Chinese version are missing some LTE frequencies.

jambo

Moving towards that time of the year!

PS4 with Knack & Killzone Shadow Fall for $449 at Kmart
PS4 with Killzone Shadow Fall, Rayman Legends, Trials Fusion, Infamous Second Son AND Infamous First Light for $549 at Target

Xbox One with FIFA15, Destiny, Rayman Legends & Trials Fusion for $549 at Target

I have no idea why, but for some reason I'm tempted to get an XBone...

Arksy

Was seriously thinking about it with property being so cheap there relative to here. Got family over there so the international moving hassles would be reduced.

Well the markets have opened without a massive shock, we'll have to wait and see what happens...I was planning on abandoning my years of university and opening up a cafe or something ridiculous.

Darren870

I passed on going that route, apparently the ones on ebay are the Chinese version (made for the Chinese market), which come with another OS than cyanogen, or have been flashed pre-sale, apparently this voids the warranty, also some have said the Chinese version are missing some LTE frequencies.

Good to know! There are deals for the Nexus 5 and Galaxy S5. Thinking about either of those.
Anything to be cautious about?

Yeah Destiny is going from strength to strength for me these last few days. Only really getting 2-3 hours with it a day might be helping.
In any case I had a ton of fun doing some solo exploring on Venus, helping out passerbys take out the wandering Vex units.
After that jumped into some strikes with Death and SuperBananaNova and blasted through them without too much issue. Really enjoy how competitive the strikes can get, everyone wants to keep things moving.
Finally finished up with doing the first mission on Mars which was fantastic, really love the unique faction and environment there, probably my favourite out of the 4!

Yeah quite a few of them around because they are cheaper. I was looking at a proper Cyan one though for $400 after discount, checking frequencies is usually the easiest way to know.

I have no idea why, but for some reason I'm tempted to get an XBone...
It's a good price but if you already have a PS4 better off waiting for a bundle with some exclusive games.

Well the markets have opened without a massive shock, we'll have to wait and see what happens...I was planning on abandoning my years of university and opening up a cafe or something ridiculous.
That sounds like it would have been a ton of fun though. I really wish I could open up a sushi bar down here but I don't know how to make sushi. Also I'm white as fuck. Also this town is way too bogan for sushi :/

Wow, maybe their next bundle can be a PS4 with HIV and Ebola for 449.
Booo this mannnn. Knack is good/great. Really good gameplay balance aimed at tweens. Kids love it. Scratches that PSOne style itch for me.
Killzone could be terrible. Looking forward to trying it soon!

Also picked up Black Flag and Tomb Raider 1 on PS4 during the eBay sale just for the sake of it. Loved both games, even if Tomb Raider is a shitty TR game. Cheap enough for the triple dip.
Some people read books again and again. Some people travel to the same holiday destination again and again. I can play the same games again and again if it has a detailed enough world where I can lose myself in almost a weird, warm hug kinda way. It's hard to explain! It's relaxing to me.

Good to know! There are deals for the Nexus 5 and Galaxy S5. Thinking about either of those.
Anything to be cautious about?

Nexus 6 is going to be announced soon apparently, so the base price of the N5 will likely drop but who knows.

Nexus 6 is going to be announced soon apparently, so the base price of the N5 will likely drop but who knows.
I really do hope they call it the Nexus 6.

BladeRunner_Rachael.jpg

Omikron

Some people read books again and again. Some people travel to the same holiday destination again and again. I can play the same games again and again if it has a detailed enough world where I can lose myself in almost a weird, warm hug kinda way. It's hard to explain! It's relaxing to me.

You really need to get into some of the open ended sandbox strategy games out there. Particularly Paradox stuff. You would never need any other games.

You really need to get into some of the open ended sandbox strategy games out there. Particularly Paradox stuff. You would never need any other games.

Keep it up Omi you're doing the lord's work.

People who stick to consoles and never get to experience the glory of Paradox games is one of the largest tragedies in the modern era.

I can't believe how rubbish all the $20ish prepaid mobile deals are now days. Mates on an older tpg prepaid plan with $300 calls/SMS and 1gb data for $17.

How they have gotten more expensive is beyond me.

Omikron

Keep it up Omi you're doing the lord's work.

People who stick to consoles and never get to experience the glory of Paradox games is one of the largest tragedies in the modern era.

Mmm. Quite possibly. Wouldn't be for want of trying.

On the Tomb Raider thing, best thing in that game was the optional puzzles rooms. I think there were maybe 5 and I think 1 was from some DLC pack.

I got bored of that stuff pretty quickly. Even open world stuff like Oblivion and Skyrim lose me at some point, even Borderlands to a certain degree.

It's more going through the motions in an experience I already know and love. Given too much rope to deviate from the expected result (eg. Kill Prince whateverhisface and then have to escape the harpies, but do it in whatever fashion you want) and it becomes engaging again to me. I guess the gameplay systems have a lot to do with it to. Might give Max Payne 3 another run on PC, similar thing there with a nice detailed world taken in a linear path with really solid gameplay (despite my issues with it).

On the Tomb Raider thing, best thing in that game was the optional puzzles rooms. I think there were maybe 5 and I think 1 was from some DLC pack.

They were a nice taste of what could have been. All were super duper easy though. Also gave really strange rewards lol

Hopefully TR2 has a stronger focus on puzzle solving.

Omikron

Pie charts are a terrible way to represent data.

Also.

Excel is completely analogous to Paradox developed video games.

Speaking of, my Austria game(s) in EU4 always end in disaster. My HRE game is very weak.

I really do hope they call it the nexus 6

Likely to be called Nexus X based on the moto X, if rumors are to be believed.

Think I'll just get a Nexus 5. Seems to be a good phone overall for its price point.

Have one since launch and never had any issues. Been using Android L dev preview and it feels like a brand new phone. Prices are already dropping, should be $300 within a month.

I don't have a one plus one. I bought them for friends using my invites. It's fairly big, but not as big as the Samsung note 2/3.

Have a look at the new Xperia Z3 compact,

http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3_compact-6538.php

lexi

Banned
Despite the mediocre reviews I am really enjoying Destiny. I wish I had more time to play it, but between moving this week and getting married a few weeks after that, I'm afraid I won't get much time with it at all.

Lexi, why do you want to see Bungie and Rockstar fail?

Schadenfreude as a PC fangirl, I guess. Both companies have no reason to shun the PC yet do so anyway.

Quasar

same here. I heartily recommend xe.com's currency trading thing for sending large amounts between countries. You get pretty good rates (BTW the number people talk about is the mid-market rate, you never, ever get that). You can only do CAN$25k at a time to start with (they are based in Canada) but you can get them to increase.

as in when I was sending money to the US from my Aussie accounts, the mid-market rate would be AUD$1 buys US$0.95, XE would give me around $93.5 compared to what I would get off a CC or using a Bank for forex (more likely around 92.

Well its down to 90 cents today.

Quasar

Oh.

The iOS iView app just added 'experimental' ChromeCast support.

And yeah it is very buggy. Atleast in my limited experience.

vanty

Were the Smash codes being emailed out just a one day thing? I still haven't got one. I don't need it personally since I just got two codes online already but just weird how everyone seems to have gotten theirs and I have nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom