• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Quickflix boss begs Netflix to close down the VPN route. Not that they can really, aside from not accepting Australian credit cards.

http://mumbrella.com.au/quickflix-boss-tells-netflix-end-back-door-access-aussies-251572

And you know, that wouldn't get me to take up the Quickflix service, given how little content and low quality streams it has.

When do we give up this idea that content has to be licenced per country? That's what leads to situations like Foxtel gouging everyone and it isn't beneficial to the consumer. The future (heck, the present) of content distribution is over the Internet. The Internet is global. If that means Quickflix can't compete, that sucks for them but that's what happens. They don't have a right to exist and make money just because. Carriage manufacturers probably got sad when the car came along too.

Quasar

When do we give up this idea that content has to be licenced per country? That's what leads to situations like Foxtel gouging everyone and it isn't beneficial to the consumer. The future (heck, the present) of content distribution is over the Internet. The Internet is global. If that means Quickflix can't compete, that sucks for them but that's what happens. They don't have a right to exist and make money just because. Carriage manufacturers probably got sad when the car came along too.

I have no idea. When content owners no longer want the free money that comes from licensing by region and differential pricing.

Quasar

Quickflix is awful...........

Well I was happyish with their BluRay service. Streaming though they have issues, and only some of which can be solved with more money. Which they don't have. The mess that is local rights to content is the other big issue and Foxtel have been pretty shitty in that regard. And rights is why I expect Netflix Oz whenever it starts to be equally shitty.

hidys

Schadenfreude as a PC fangirl, I guess. Both companies have no reason to shun the PC yet do so anyway.

Hopefully the PC port of GTA V will be worth it though it is pretty fucked up what they are doing with selling far better versions of a game they clearly had planned before they even released old gen GTA V.

The no PC version of Destiny thing does feel weird and shitty.

Remedy is also on my shit list these days.

They're alright. Though their close relationship with Microsoft means delayed PC ports.

I really hope Quantum Break gets a PC port.

Ubisoft has complete and utter contempt for PC.

I hope Uplay one day chokes on its own vomit and dies.

Darklord

Banned
On PSN I can always see my full name. Say I add someone and it'll be "GAF is now friends with *Full name here*". I'm sure I turned it off so I don't know if it's just for me or not. Is it normal to always see your real name on it?

Quickflix boss begs Netflix to close down the VPN route. Not that they can really, aside from not accepting Australian credit cards.

http://mumbrella.com.au/quickflix-boss-tells-netflix-end-back-door-access-aussies-251572

And you know, that wouldn't get me to take up the Quickflix service, given how little content and low quality streams it has.

Go get fucked QuickFlix, if you can't compete now you have no chance when they do come over.

In related news canceled my netflix/getflick today. Too much hassle trying to get static routing working properly, that and I hardly used it. Along with the stream quality being unreliable pushed me over the edge.

Quasar

Go get fucked QuickFlix, if you can't compete now you have no chance when they do come over.

In related news canceled my netflix/getflick today. Too much hassle trying to get static routing working properly, that and I hardly used it. Along with the stream quality being unreliable pushed me over the edge.

Well I have some sympathy for them. As for netflix, they better hurry up or there will be no content to license.

And funny you say you are pulling the plug (cant say I ever had routing issues - getflix worked perfectly for me - aside from the chromecast and simply blocking google dns servers solved that) I continue to have it, but if I'm honest I don't use netflix that much. Probably not enough to keep it.

On PSN I can always see my full name. Say I add someone and it'll be "GAF is now friends with *Full name here*". I'm sure I turned it off so I don't know if it's just for me or not. Is it normal to always see your real name on it?

You're just banana to me on psn. Unless you accept a name request, no one can see your full name.

Well I have some sympathy for them. As for netflix, they better hurry up or there will be no content to license.

And funny you say you are pulling the plug (cant say I ever had routing issues - getflix worked perfectly for me - aside from the chromecast and simply blocking google dns servers solved that) I continue to have it, but if I'm honest I don't use netflix that much. Probably not enough to keep it.

Yeah the content licensing will be interesting.

Tried everything, even sent a support ticket to getflick and they couldn't fix it. Oh well no great loss considering I used it once or twice a month at most.

Ok cool. After getting death threats about my family on facebook earlier this week I'm pretty paranoid about who seems my information now.

Ah that sucks. Change your 'real name' on PSN to Darklord or something, that's what I did (made it Reptilescorpio). That way GAF friends can pick you out by your GAF name in their friends list.

Fogz

HRE?

Never heard of it.

G8oZvgt.jpg

I haven't been playing for thousands of hours (yet)

Stackboy

Played some Destiny with Kritz last night. Only a little as my current internet is awful, but I'm moving in a week, so the owners of the house who live upstairs can deal with it.

Also, I'm getting married in less than 3 weeks and I am surprisingly calm, as we have most things sorted.

Fogz

You're just gonna let the moslems have hispania like that?!

That was Italy's problem. The Golden Horde was my biggest problem for awhile but they seem to have mostly self imploded and I've been picking off the states that go independent.

Now that I am Italy as well, hispania goes onto the pile of my expansion plans. They are obviously in dire need of some Jesus Christ *sharpens sword*

That was Italy's problem. The Golden Horde was my biggest problem for awhile but they seem to have mostly self imploded and I've been picking off the states that go independent.

Now that I am Italy as well, hispania goes onto the pile of my expansion plans. They are obviously in dire need of some Jesus Christ *sharpens sword*

Pff, Christians.

I replaced Christianity in that screenshot I posted. With Odin worship.

Quasar

Yeah the content licensing will be interesting.

Tried everything, even sent a support ticket to getflick and they couldn't fix it. Oh well no great loss considering I used it once or twice a month at most.

Well with getflix I use it more widely than just Netflix so even if I decided to drop Netflix I'd keep getflix.

Getflix has been OK. Occasionally (couple of times a month) I'd notice it fail and I'd get DNS lookup errors. But they'd normally go away after 5-10 minutes.

Darren870

In my experience it's not much different from the Galaxy S3 (had one for 18 months), but I think the LG G2 one is a bit better. Just remember that the Nexus 6 and LG G3 are out soon/now.

Here is a random selection

Thanks! They look good and what I am looking for. I know there are new phones coming out, but I am one that doesn't want to drop that much money on a phone. Just don't see the point.

Just wanted a half decent phone camera to snap some pictures in those moments I don't have my camera on me.

jambo

Thanks! They look good and what I am looking for. I know there are new phones coming out, but I am one that doesn't want to drop that much money on a phone. Just don't see the point.

Just wanted a half decent phone camera to snap some pictures in those moments I don't have my camera on me.

The price is pretty great. Also if you go through Google you will get it in 2-3 days. Crazy impressive turn around time for shipping.

senahorse

Looking for recommendations for a phone for work. Work pays so cost isn't really a factor (OK those concierge serviced phones for 15K are out), I just want something small and reliable I don't care about looks or the latest gimmick, that's what my personal phone is for. I also don't care about OS, WP, Android, iOS all will be fine, the main thing is essentially reliability and quality of the actual phone part.

Looking for recommendations for a phone for work. Work pays so cost isn't really a factor (OK those concierge serviced phones for 15K are out), I just want something small and reliable I don't care about looks or the latest gimmick, that's what my personal phone is for. I also don't care about OS, WP, Android, iOS all will be fine, the main thing is essentially reliability and quality of the actual phone part.

Hmm well I can say my Lumia 920 (Icon/ 930 is the newest flagship I think now) would be more than adequate but I don't have a good point of comparison with other phones. I'm sure the rest of AusGAF will chime in.

Tommy DJ

As far as smallish Android phones go, I think the Xperia Z3 Compact is the best but it isn't released yet (probably soon though since Sony is taking preorders in Europe). The Moto G is a good option too since it has fantastic call quality.

iPhones are actually good too though the battery life isn't particularly good if you're hammering it with web browsing. Keep in mind that Apple has stores everywhere. If it's within the warranty period, Apple stores will generally replace your buggered phone with a refurb no questions asked.

Never found WinPhone particularly intuitive so I dunno what they have.

senahorse

Hmm well I can say my Lumia 920 (Icon/ 930 is the newest flagship I think now) would be more than adequate but I don't have a good point of comparison with other phones. I'm sure the rest of AusGAF will chime in.

I have a Lumia 920 as my personal phone currently and can't wait to get off it, that said, the phone part works pretty good so maybe I could get an updated one of those if there isn't anything else worth trying.

It's worth that as long as they don't fuck it up. Microsoft doesn't have a good track record in that regard. Smart thing would be to allow Mojang to do their thing and MS just does cross promotional shit with it. Like EVERY game that releases on Xbox One will come with an exclusive Minecraft skin, would be one way to turn the war in their favour.

"After 28 years, Margaret Pomeranz and David Stratton will roll the credits on their final At the Movies on December 9."

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

They must have seen Half in the Bag and decided it was the right time to pass the torch.

senahorse

Why do you gotta be such a windows phone racist?

Just lots of little things really, like lack of VPN support (I actually have a need for this), can't use wifi for messages/phone calls, for the first year I couldn't lock the screen orientation, the browser compatibility is pretty horrid at times, Google sites are really bad (funtionality wise) though this is more Google's fault, the music app is pretty crap especially the lack of podcast support in Australia. But really the biggest issue is just appism (like racism but for apps), all these apps come out usually say "available on iOS and Android" I am sick of feeling like a third class phone citizen. I have really tried to like WP8 and the phone itself has a few things I love, like the camera, Nokia drive, family room etc. But for now I am done, I gave iPhone a go for a couple of generations, then WP8, so now it's time to give Android a go (have a Samsung Galaxy S3 for work but not a personal one).

I nearly pulled the trigger on an iPhone 6 pre-order the other day, but the pricetag for the specs had me in stitches, just madness.

Is it mean to own a husky type of dog in Australia?

Its kind of like taking a Lizard to Antarctica no?!

Not if you're in Tassie or the mostly "right" climate areas I supposed, cold as down there. My sister had one but she gave him away due to the weather being too warm when they moved house. Although see lives stateside but it was a similar concern about too warm a climate. She used to have to get a bath out on hot days and could see the dog wasn't comfortable in summer.

PARANO1A

I need an el cheapo phone rather quickly. My girlfriend dropped her nexus 5 one too many times unfortunately. I know the nexus x is around the corner, but I what can I get immediately to tide her over?

Moto G is ok but doesn't work on Telstra 4G. Guess that means it's actually a budget phone. D'oh.

I need an el cheapo phone rather quickly. My girlfriend dropped her nexus 5 one too many times unfortunately. I know the nexus x is around the corner, but I what can I get immediately to tide her over?

Moto G is ok but doesn't work on Telstra 4G. Guess that means it's actually a budget phone. D'oh.
I'm no help in terms of which phone but just remember that the 15% off eBay thing runs until late tonight!

One source is saying the 980 will be 600 USD. Another source is saying 450 USD.

I'm sweatin'

$450 for a Nvidia card? Tell 'em they are dreaming!

I'm no help in terms of which phone but just remember that the 15% off eBay thing runs until late tonight!

How cheap? With the ebay discount still valid, you can grab a 16GB Nexus 5 for $317 or 16GB One plus one for $340.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom