• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Accordion. That's the instrument I couldn't think of before!

I could totally hear it though.

HLyt06Ih.jpg

Why is everybody obsessed with the good looking guy in the beard? If you wanted to flirt you only had to go talk to him. He seemed pretty approachable.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
A smart person would have left the outside light on for themselves when they get home. I am not one of these people

For the Board Gamers..

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective is really fun. We played through 2 cases last night and did pretty well. The first case we were way off the answers but the second case we solved it and in pretty decent time. Definitely recommend it to any fans of Sherlock or any crime shows/books.

For the Beard Gamers..

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective is really fun. We played through 2 cases last night and did pretty well. The first case we were way off the answers but the second case we solved it and in pretty decent time. Definitely recommend it to any fans of Sherlock or any crime shows/books.

fixed that for you

Destiny is totally an MMO. Spent an hour today farming one enemy spawn location with Dishwasher and 3 other players lol

When I was doing it solo I got a Legendary engram to pop! Decoded to a Rare >_<

Then when Dish and I started the farm again the next 2 runs had someone pickup a Legendary but they were the last 2 to pop :(

markot

Banned
Destiny is totally an MMO. Spent an hour today farming one enemy spawn location with Dishwasher and 3 other players lol

Then when Dish and I started the farm again the next 2 runs had someone pickup a Legendary but they were the last 2 to pop :(
Imagine if it was a good game though! Did I just blow your mind?

wonzo

Banned
destiny is an mmo but real bad and unfun and it leaves you feeling dead inside that you spent money on such a soulless husk

I was stuck in level 20 hell farming spawns/strikes/pvp for 4-5 hours before just giving up entirely.

If you're farming in order to level up, you're doing it wrong. I hit 28 yesterday.

If you're farming in order to level up, you're doing it wrong. I hit 28 yesterday.
How do I do it then? I get more loot from farming than strikes or missions, which give sweet fuck all. Did a weekly strike and got zero engrams or upgrade light loot better than my current setup!

How do I do it then? I get more loot from farming than strikes or missions, which give sweet fuck all. Did a weekly strike and got zero engrams or upgrade light loot better than my current setup!

Max out your vanguard and crucible marks, use them to buy legendary armor from the vendors. As you level up the factions and cryptarch, they will give you free legendary items each level.

The reward system is deeply flawed and if you only depend on loot you won't get anywhere. Farming is good for getting weapon/armor parts from dismantling stuff and you might get lucky with some engrams but the sure shot way to level is to earn the marks and spend them on better gear. Also, use the strange coins to buy exotic gear from the weekend vendor.

Rewards from crucible and strikes are purely luck based, as is farming.

Is it fun though? I've been on the fence about it. This may sound ignorant, but is it like divinity?
I haven't played Divinity, so can't help either way, though people seem to say it's similar.

If you liked the original isometric Fallout games, or Shadowrun Returns, you'll probably enjoy this. Personally, I'd wait for a sale if I hadn't Kickstarted it. It's not polished enough to warrant US$40 IMO.

How do I max out my vanguard marks? Seems to take ages to earn any of them. Not real keen on doing PvP tbh :(

Each public event gives you 5 marks. You can do 4-5 PE's in an hour.
Daily story gives marks.
Lev 24 strikes give 6 marks each strike + 25 rep.
Turning in materials gives you both crucible and vangaurd rep + marks, though you might want to save those for future armor upgrades.
Completing bounties gives xp and faction rep.

Marks are capped to 100 a week, so there is plenty of time to earn them.

senahorse

Both my gf and I are really enjoying Wasteland 2 (Both up to the same point in the story), and it certainly is somewhat challenging (just playing on default difficulty) and especially daunting if you are not used to these old school games. It certainly won't eclipse my GOTY (Divinity: Original Sin, game was amazing) as the polish just isn't there and the combat not as refined. Wasteland 2 and Divinity are mechanically very similar and it stands to reason why the two will be compared but a little unfair because Divinity is such a great game, so being not as good as Divinity doesn't mean it's a bad game by any stretch, quite the opposite. I have seen it going for ~$20 in the BST thead and we are more than content with the ~$30 price we paid on OZG. Can't wait to get home to play some more :)

Edit: I will say the story in Wasteland 2 I am finding more interesting.

The longer I plough through destiny, the more I am convinced its an analog of the first Assassin's Creed game. Solid fundamentals, but a bit routine and predictable in the way it hangs together. It just needs another iteration to realise its potential greatness.

I'm only lvl 13 but I don't know whether I'll bother finishing the story. The game difficulty seems based on me needing to be one level higher than the stated level for the mission. Which means grinding. Which means standing in front of a cave. As a co-op game, it's damn near perfect. I just don't always want to play co-op.

Crucible is just terrible when everyone else seems to be a lvl 25. Or maybe it's just shash. I enjoyed Titanfall as a multiplayer game so much more.

But, since there's nothing else I want to play for another month...

Stackboy

You hate Metal Gear and the Vita?

Jesus Christ... I was with you on Destiny and The Phantom Menace but this I cannot abide by.

Why are you so full of hate?

Don't feed the troll (sorry this was posted 2 days ago, but I don't understand why we are so shocked when markot posts something negative)

The other morning I did a snap poll of everyone in the office about what Space action movie they liked best.

Most people chose Star Wars, but one guy chose Star Wars PREQUELS.

AND YET I WAS THE MONSTER FOR SAYING HE SHOULD BE FIRED

How old is he? Is he one of those youngins? That might explain it.

I'm getting married in less than 2 weeks!! Did all the moving on the weekend, one of the smoothest moves ever. No stress.

Each public event gives you 5 marks. You can do 4-5 PE's in an hour.
Daily story gives marks.
Lev 24 strikes give 6 marks each strike + 25 rep.
Turning in materials gives you both crucible and vangaurd rep + marks, though you might want to save those for future armor upgrades.
Completing bounties gives xp and faction rep.

Marks are capped to 100 a week, so there is plenty of time to earn them.
Awesome, found a great Reddit post (via Stevior) that lays it out in more detail. Not quite enough for a moron like me though lol. Just write up a step-by-step plan for me!

Both my gf and I are really enjoying Wasteland 2 (Both up to the same point in the story), and it certainly is somewhat challenging (just playing on default difficulty) and especially daunting if you are not used to these old school games. It certainly won't eclipse my GOTY (Divinity: Original Sin, game was amazing) as the polish just isn't there and the combat not as refined.
That's super disapointing to hear since it has had so long in the oven and even had a long alpha/beta for feedback :(

The longer I plough through destiny, the more I am convinced its an analog of the first Assassin's Creed game. Solid fundamentals, but a bit routine and predictable in the way it hangs together. It just needs another iteration to realise its potential greatness.

I'm only lvl 13 but I don't know whether I'll bother finishing the story. The game difficulty seems based on me needing to be one level higher than the stated level for the mission. Which means grinding. Which means standing in front of a cave. As a co-op game, it's damn near perfect. I just don't always want to play co-op.

Crucible is just terrible when everyone else seems to be a lvl 25. Or maybe it's just shash. I enjoyed Titanfall as a multiplayer game so much more.

But, since there's nothing else I want to play for another month...
Yeah most people compare it to AC1 and Titanfall, solid footing but missing some meat.

Have you been doing any exploring or just story missions? I had zero issues being at the same level as the missions throughout the game and didn't do any farming or strike until fairly late.

Let me know if you want to do a strike on PS4!

I'm starting to understand peoples frustration with Destiny. I attempted the Moon strike mission, and man does it suck arse.

Is that the hard Weekly Strike? Ran that twice yesterday, once with Stuey and another time with AussieLegend. Let me know if you want to give it a shot tonight! Only 2 issues are the end battle with a ton of Knights and the early battle opening the gate when 4 witches come through and make your life hell (especially when another witch and some knights spawn in the hallway you came down to box you in!).

That's super disapointing to hear since it has had so long in the oven and even had a long alpha/beta for feedback :(
The lack of polish just makes it feel more "indie", or if you'd prefer, it feels like it's from a much smaller team and a labour of love, but they just didn't have the time or money to polish it forever.

Definitely has a few annoying points - inventory management is poor, lack of feedback or explanation of some things, combat is super basic, assault rifles seem crazily overpowered - but it feels like there's a great game in there if you're willing to put up with it being a bit rough around the edges.

senahorse

As Cods says, there are issues with the game, there is no denying that, but what game is perfect? Divinity set the bar so high in terms of polish that it's just hard to aspire to. With Wasteland 2 I liken it to your typical Bethesda open world game (Elder Scrolls/Fallout), there are plenty of problems/bugs with the game but the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. There is a good to great game there, that feels like it's well worth investing the time in. If feels like we are back in a golden age of PC games again, with Divinity, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera, Elite Dangerous, Legend of Grimrock 1/2, Kings Quest among many other games. The likes of Kickstarter have been great for the PC gaming community, great time to be a gamer :)

Shaneus

So, I'm I interpreting it correctly in that it's basically just a Borderlands game but with typical Bungie polish and production values? Seems there are more people that have an "It's pretty good, but..." opinion than a "I really enjoy it" opinion.

So, I'm I interpreting it correctly in that it's basically just a Borderlands game but with typical Bungie polish and production values? Seems there are more people that have an "It's pretty good, but..." opinion than a "I really enjoy it" opinion.

Majority current opinion is "I really enjoy it, but....".

Active player base is still huge.

Shaneus

Majority current opinion is "I really enjoy it, but....".

Active player base is still huge.
Figured as much. Haven't been in the OT, but the impressions from this thread (which is largely how I base the general reception a game is getting) is that it's not as amazing as expected. Which, ironically, is to be expected, given it's an AAA game and they never seem to live up to expectations.

What I wonder about is how long the community lasts versus Titanfall which seems like it dropped off fairly quickly.
Good point. Similar marketing and focus on multiplayer, be interesting to see how they both fare. I'm guessing the # of players curve will be fairly similar. Folks seem to be cooling on Destiny quite rapidly.

Borderlands is an open world. Destiny isn't, but it is a loot drop game.

Destiny has a number of worlds. You have to select a world, then select an available mission on that world. When you select a mission, you're only really able to do that mission, though you can wander around if you like. Each wolrd has a Patrol mission, which is what you select when you want to do side missions in order to grind. Thing is the side missions are almost all the exact same thing- kill x enemies, or kill enemies until they randomly drop collectibles and stop once you've collected x of them. There's one or two that are more go to x and if you're lucky press a button.

So killing enemies all the time in missions is fine, but in the patrol mode, which you need to do in order

As a single player experience its kinda ordinary but fun despite the amount of monotonous grinding. As a PVP multiplayer, its not great. As a co-op shooter, its great.

I just prefer not to play co-op most of the time.

I get that, Rep. The problem with Destiny is that it very rarely deviates from that. If it was a corridor shooter, that would be fine. But even Cod has stealth missions, sniper missions, vehicle sections, turrets, breaching rooms, This is almost com

It doesn't really come close to doing what Borderlands did so well.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Destiny, but i was kind of expecting a bit more than exactly what was in the beta. I'd still give it 8.5/10, which is a very good score.

Overall, this has been a pretty ordinary year so far in games with only Titanfall and Mk8 being standouts for me. MK8 because it got me to play a racing game for a week. TF for being so much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom