• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Kill things and move forward? My my, fps shooters have really changed since doom.

Nice one Markot, as a staunch Nintendo fan, lack of change is hardly something you can ridicule (see Mario, MK, Zelda etc) ;).

On topic, I do agree though, and it's why I enjoyed Wolfenstein: The New Order so much as it mixed it up a bit.

Arksy

I think this year has actually been really good for games...we've had;

- Wolfenstien
- Watch Dogs
- Divinity: Original Sin
- Age of Wonders III
- Tropico 5
- Wasteland 2
- ESO

I know these games aren't most peoples cup of tea, but I'm really enjoying this year. :D

Shaneus

It's odd, the vast majority of games I play can be boiled down to "kill things, move forward".

Looking forward to Driveclub changing that up a bit for me!
It sucks that's all most games seem to be now. Only thing that really changes is how the narrative is packaged around the player's character.

AAA has been ruined this gen :/

markot

Banned
Please, Nintendo at least innovates properly.

But I forgot, BUNGIE GAVE US DUEL WEILDING DIFFERENT GUNS!!!!!!!!!! FPS INNOVATION OF THE DECENTRUENIUM!

But no, lets pretend Zelda is just the same as the first one, and that Mario hasnt changed a bit!

But then again from a board that would crown the vita with any sort of accolades this sort of 'thought' is what can be expected. Tell me again how great it is, and that it doesnt need games or sony taking an interest in it or making games for it at all for it to not have been a huge waste of money you lament every night before bed.

senahorse

A little angry there Markot? How has Zelda, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. innovated?

I will leave Mario out, as at least that series has changed it up a little, though not much since Mario 64. I love Nintendo games, but innovative is something they generally are not.

Please, Nintendo at least innovates properly.

But I forgot, BUNGIE GAVE US DUEL WEILDING DIFFERENT GUNS!!!!!!!!!! FPS INNOVATION OF THE DECENTRUENIUM!

But no, lets pretend Zelda is just the same as the first one, and that Mario hasnt changed a bit!

But then again from a board that would crown the vita with any sort of accolades this sort of 'thought' is what can be expected. Tell me again how great it is, and that it doesnt need games or sony taking an interest in it or making games for it at all for it to not have been a huge waste of money you lament every night before bed.

I love Halo but I wholeheartedly agree Nintendo innovate like a bat out of hell, not just software either, they're willing to give new hardware a go too.

markot

Banned
Angry? Pshore.

Mario, lets seem it made 3d platforming, it made 2d platforming, its recent incarnaton gave us 4 player co op (You know, where people play together in a room? FPS innovated the shit out of that, literally you cant do it anymore)

Zelda? While the basic formula has stayed the same, its a 'zelda game' its like saying 'hey I keep having to shoot people? what up' in battlefield. But lets look at the innovation shall weeeeeeeeeeeee? OOT, 3d zelda, the best game ever. Majoras mask, innovative use of time travel, masks, stringing together a hundred different stories and people over 3 days. Wind waker? A much better combat system, trying to include gba support (you know the thing that youd all cream yourself over if sony announced it for hte vita, well that or anything really given its a barren wasteland of barren barronesses)(Sure it wasnt the best thing ever, but it was fun enough when playing with someone else) lets see, use of cel shading, the use of more then 4 colours, interesting sailing elements.... etc.... Skyward sword, use of motion in combat and other areas of the game.

Forgive me for shitting on your psparade hurrrrr, but at least Nintendo generally trys stuff. In an industry buttressed by gamers with no expecations and companies not willing to take any risks, Nintendo trys stuff out. 2 screens on a hand held? Why not. Motion in controls? Why not. Remote off tv play? sure lets try it out. (Omg Nintendo has lost it! *Sony announces it for hte vita* OMG SONY YOU SO GREAT FINALLY A USE FOR THAT PAPE. I MEAN WHAT INNOVATION! Maybe theyll make a game too soon for it please please!)

You guys are Edisons, stuck in your world, hiring people to patent things they invent, putting business above everything else. Nintendo is Tesla, bit mad, bit of a genius, but they try shit out, and dont sit there complaining when someone discovers moniters are able to display more then 3 different browns at the same time. Your like the drones in the apple ad watching the tv, nintendo runs in and busts it up, and you guys are all like 'hey we were watching that!' Futurama!

Maddrical

A swing at the Vita out of left field! I can't speak for all owners, but in the two years I took the train into Perth city to study I never once ran out of games to play, and I still have uncompleted games. It's probably different for someone who wants to use the handheld as their primary gaming source, but as a portable device I think it's brilliant. Some great games, majority of which are indies/ports, not so much first party games. It's never going to have the library of the DS though.

EDIT: I paid $220 I think for my Vita. For that price it's more than justified itself, even though I don't take public transport anymore.

Kill things and move forward? My my, fps shooters have really changed since doom.

You know that practically every genre could be reduced to this right?

Fighting game = attack each other with punches/kicks until one person is defeated
Racing games = drive around a course until one person wins
2D platformers = run from left to right overcoming obstacles

That's why we have labels for these games. Because the genre does a pretty bang up job of describing what you will be doing. FPS = first person shooter = shooting things from a first person perspective. What were you expecting? A FPSMMORPG? Oh wait...

markot

Banned
You could move backwards. They could do alot more. Like.... whats that great fpsish game that NINTENDO made? Hmmmm

Oh yeah. METROID PRIME.

I cant hear you over how much more fun that game was then any 'fps' that came out over the last 10 years. And thats being generous.

You could move backwards. They could do alot more. Like.... whats that great fpsish game that NINTENDO made? Hmmmm

Oh yeah. METROID PRIME.

I cant hear you over how much more fun that game was then any 'fps' that came out over the last 10 years. And thats being generous.

The best FPS of the last 10 years is STALKER, a game that handily beats Metroid Prime in all areas.

MoonGred

When I get home tonight I'll be installing my new G-sync monitor.

Aw yiss.

Don't forget to post impression, I've added that monitor way to often to my pccg cart, my wallet will hate you if you say it's glorious.

Also the vita doesn't deserve any hate. That thing has made my commute a lot more bearable

MoonGred

You also ordered a 970 didn't you? I should have mine next week so your performance should be comparable to mine.
Does a 144Hz monitor only benefit with a high framerate, or is it noticeable at 60 fps as well?

The variable refresh rate means that you're eliminating tearing and minimising stutter at all frame-rates.

Ignoring G-sync, 144hz in like a 120 mode would not help at all if you were maintaining a perfect 60fps. However realistically "60" is going to be slightly under or slightly over in a lot of cases. On PC games, it will fluctuate more than most console titles will. Having 120hz refresh does help in that case, even if the 'average' framerate is only 60. Slight fluctuations will only cause a delay of half the time it would on a 60hz display. If that makes sense?

And yeah my 970 will be here 6th of October according to Amazon.

I get that, Rep. The problem with Destiny is that it very rarely deviates from that. If it was a corridor shooter, that would be fine.
Yeah I guess that's a good point. You don't get any on rails stuff like you get in COD, which I actually do enjoy. Stuff like turret missions give the designers a chance to turn the experience on its head and show the player a different part of their vision.

Destiny has more than enough vehicle related stuff for me though, not a fan of vehicle combat in general (which is why my expectations of Mad Max The Game TM are at zero).

It doesn't really come close to doing what Borderlands did so well. .
Which is good because I hated Borderlands lol

Doom is still an amazing game. I played through half of the first one, no mods, about a week ago and had a blast. That game has aged very well.
Yup design is law. Great level design with a focus on gameplay fundamentals means it has aged really well.

- Wolfenstien
- Watch Dogs
- Age of Wonders III
- Tropico 5
- Wasteland 2
- ESO

I know these games aren't most peoples cup of tea, but I'm really enjoying this year. :D
Yeah this year has already been fantastic.
Really loved Infamous, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Diablo 3 Evil Edition, Wolfenstein and shit ton of Vita games.

It sucks that's all most games seem to be now. Only thing that really changes is how the narrative is packaged around the player's character.

AAA has been ruined this gen :/
Heh, I was mainly just saying how everything can be boiled down quite easily. A lot of the variation comes from melding elements of multiple genres at the moment since there is just an onslaught of games coming out these days. There is still plenty of variety, just can be hard to pick out from the masses at times!

A swing at the Vita out of left field! I can't speak for all owners, but in the two years I took the train into Perth city to study I never once ran out of games to play, and I still have uncompleted games. It's probably different for someone who wants to use the handheld as their primary gaming source, but as a portable device I think it's brilliant. Some great games, majority of which are indies/ports, not so much first party games. It's never going to have the library of the DS though.

EDIT: I paid $220 I think for my Vita. For that price it's more than justified itself, even though I don't take public transport anymore.
Yeah the Vita has become my favourite handheld of all time easily. You have to actually dig around to find all the games though since retail doesn't push anything Vita related and most Games Media outlets focus on PS4/X1, aside from the die hard Nintendo sites that had to pop up once the majority of Games Media ignored it over the last 7 or 8 years.

Check out the GAF thread if you want recommendations. Tons of games in pretty much every genre aside from FPS now.

When I get home tonight I'll be installing my new G-sync monitor.

Aw yiss.

Def want to hear impressions! Lucky basterd. Couldn't convince the wife it was a necessary purchase heh.

Is that the hard Weekly Strike? Ran that twice yesterday, once with Stuey and another time with AussieLegend. Let me know if you want to give it a shot tonight! Only 2 issues are the end battle with a ton of Knights and the early battle opening the gate when 4 witches come through and make your life hell (especially when another witch and some knights spawn in the hallway you came down to box you in!).

That Witches section is brutal with the heroic modifiers active, you really need a fire based weapon to take down their shields effectively.

I'm really enjoying my time with Destiny, but I understand the complaints. I seem to be levelling at a reasonable pace past 20 without resorting to farming, but I have got a bit of my gear from PvP. I nearly have enough marks to start buying some legendary gear from the vendors.

MoonGred

The variable refresh rate means that you're eliminating tearing and minimising stutter at all frame-rates.

Ignoring G-sync, 144hz in like a 120 mode would not help at all if you were maintaining a perfect 60fps. However realistically "60" is going to be slightly under or slightly over in a lot of cases. On PC games, it will fluctuate more than most console titles will. Having 120hz refresh does help in that case, even if the 'average' framerate is only 60. Slight fluctuations will only cause a delay of half the time it would on a 60hz display. If that makes sense?

And yeah my 970 will be here 6th of October according to Amazon.

Yea that makes sense. I've got a gut feeling that I'm going to like this monitor. I wouldn't have a clue on what to do with my old monitor though, wish I knew about OCAU earlier, maybey I should just wait until I sell mine.

Yeah, and wipe out is better then f zero.

wow, I love this dimension you live in, this goatee looks boss on me. Even the word boss is good here.

I guess these games are lacking in "Nintendo magic" or the "pure fun" that the big N invariably delivers! I guess next you'll bang on about how "iconic" the Nintendo characters are.

But seriously, I can entertain an argument for F Zero GX being better than the Wipeout games.
It is a Sega game after all!

markot

Banned

- Wolfenstien
- Watch Dogs
- Age of Wonders III
- Tropico 5
- Wasteland 2
- ESO

Waitttttttttttttttttttttttt

hold it

objection

back on up there beep beep beep

Do you mean Elder Scrolls Online? And do you mean to imply its in a form that could be described as, good?

And GX was a great game, it was great to see Sega make a great game after so long of being terrible, and makes you wonder what they could do with decent management.

But X was tremendously awesome too.

You might even say it ROCKED.

Being that the music was very much rock. Also the original F Zero and the first 2 GBA ones were great.

Is that the hard Weekly Strike? Ran that twice yesterday, once with Stuey and another time with AussieLegend. Let me know if you want to give it a shot tonight! Only 2 issues are the end battle with a ton of Knights and the early battle opening the gate when 4 witches come through and make your life hell (especially when another witch and some knights spawn in the hallway you came down to box you in!).

Moon strike is definitely a pain in the ass. I solo'ed the lev 28 weekly and also beat the nightfall strike last night, don't want to do them ever again.

Our team actually came across a glitch in the nightfall strike where the final boss just vanished and we never got to kill him, but the mission completed and I got a legendary rifle :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of1_gDvm9MM

If you need help with the weekly, I can assist. The second part where the ghost has to unlock the doors is the hardest and most annoying part of mission, but there is an easy strategy to beat it in a couple of minutes.

As a single player experience its kinda ordinary but fun despite the amount of monotonous grinding. As a PVP multiplayer, its not great. As a co-op shooter, its great.

I just prefer not to play co-op most of the time.

The PVP needs some fixing and balancing, but it's pretty great otherwise. Try playing a game of control or salvage with a team instead of solo with randoms, you'll see how that changes the experience all together.

That Witches section is brutal with the heroic modifiers active, you really need a fire based weapon to take down their shields effectively.

I'm really enjoying my time with Destiny, but I understand the complaints. I seem to be levelling at a reasonable pace past 20 without resorting to farming, but I have got a bit of my gear from PvP. I nearly have enough marks to start buying some legendary gear from the vendors.

Try the nightfall, you'll change your definition of brutal :p

I could never really get in to the Stalker games.
They're super janky.

Janky? We call that Euro charm.

They are pretty stable these days thanks to being modded to hell and back, but yes they were a little... unstable in the early days.

Still, no one since has attempted something as ambitious as STALKER's AI system. All of these Fallouts and whatnot seem dull compared to a walk in the Zone.

MoonGred

Yeah, I really enjoyed ESO. As I said, not everyone's cup of tea...but I really enjoyed it.

I haven't played it, but I don't think you're alone with that opinion, didn't they release subscription numbers recently, for some reason I remember them being somewhat positive.

MTE

So, I bought a PS4 on Saturday. Partially due to Destiny hype.
Well, not so much hype as I wanted to be part of the movement while people were still playing.
Does anyone have a sub-20 character that they might want to mess about with? I'm level 6 at the moment, I think, and I'd be keen to try out some co-op.

For any interested, my PSNID is TheEmptyE.
Some of you will have recieved friend requests from me already! :)

As a tangent, it's really annoying that you can't convert a subaccount to a master account. I used to (or still do) have EmptyE, but it's stuck as a sub-account of my brother's. It's was done this way so I could play his PSN stuff against my account, but we no longer live together >_<

Arksy

If the cup of tea is full of acid its not a cup of tea though is it?

Well...it's not FULL of acid. There's still a bit of tea in there....and the acid is only acetic acid.

I don't know. I enjoy the TES franchise a hell of a lot and I really enjoyed the campaign. I loved the whole rebellious tudor-esque plotlines against the monarchy. I loved the way the world was crafted.

I loved the music and the visuals. I quite enjoyed going around reading books and crafting armor and exploring the world.

Also, the PVP was fantastic. Best I'd played in an MMO for years.

Sure, the game pales in comparison to skyrim in regards to gameplay but the fact that they got half way there with an MMO....I reckon that's good enough.

Maddrical

Also, the PVP was fantastic. Best I'd played in an MMO for years.

That's a point, I've never heard anything about the PvP in ESO. Are there arenas and/or battlegrounds? My MMORPG PvP experience is limited to WoW and an older, small MMO called Tibia. I could imagine Elder Scrolls PvP would either be really fun or really, really bad.

Arksy

That's a point, I've never heard anything about the PvP in ESO. Are there arenas and/or battlegrounds? My MMORPG PvP experience is limited to WoW and an older, small MMO called Tibia. I could imagine Elder Scrolls PvP would either be really fun or really, really bad.

There weren't any arenas when I played but I think they're bringing them in...

PVP in TES was a lot closer to DAoC than it is anything else.

MoonGred

So I downloaded dance central for the girlfriend, and now I'm hooked, that said I can only play when nobody else is at home. Surely I can't be the only one in this position.

On a somewhat related note, kinect really shines when it comes to this. I kinda brushed kinect movement tracking to the side after using kinect fitness a few times and it not recognising 75% of the moves. So I figured dance central would be more of the same, but surprisingly it's fairly accurate.

wonzo

Banned
"nintendo magic"
hmyAquK.png

So I downloaded dance central for the girlfriend, and now I'm hooked, that said I can only play when nobody else is at home. Surely I can't be the only one in this position.

On a somewhat related note, kinect really shines when it comes to this. I kinda brushed kinect movement tracking to the side after using kinect fitness a few times and it not recognising 75% of the moves. So I figured dance central would be more of the same, but surprisingly it's fairly accurate.

It's the 4th in the Dance Central series so they have had plenty of time to tweak the Kinect stuff thankfully.

legend166

Did someone just trash Metroid Prime?

One of the best games ever made.

STALKER is awesome too, but it loses a bit because to be so awesome it needs the Complete mod.

Tommy DJ

How is Amazon with warranty? I'm planning to get a MSI GTX 970 (fuck Australian prices) but MSI doesn't have international warranty. I'd normally get EVGA but they completely screwed up everything and you probably have to send the card off to Taiwan for warranty so its hardly cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom