• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww fuck, starting to get Christmas goodies dropped off at work by the contractors. So much fucking chocolate and shortbread to eat all day in the office >_<

Quasar

So...the ps3 blutooth remote. Just what does it control? beyond disc playback I mean. Can you control apps for instance, like iview or netflix?

Shaneus

Haha wow. A 19 year old father of a 4 year old bought a picture of an X1 off eBay for $750 even though it clearly stated it was a picture.
Paypal refunded his money and a retailer in the UK gave him a free X1 because apparently it was a Christmas present for his 4 year old lololololol

PS3 Move Starter Kit is $30 at DSE or $29 at Target from Thursday

The Typing of the Dead steamkey for $5.44 using GMG20-CV2W4-DSYBT
The DLC is $2.40 using GMG20-CV2W4-DSYBT code

Gamefly steamkey sale, use GFDDEC20 code
Deus Ex 3: The Prequel: Human Revolution: Directors Cut for $8
LA Noire & DLC for $6
TWD 400 Days DLC for $2
Bully Scholarship Edition for $3
Max Payne 3 for $3.20 MY DEAL OF THE DAY RIGHT HERE FOLKS
MP3 Season Pass for $3
GTA4, Ballad of Gay Tony & Lost and the Damned for $6
Metro Last Light for $10.87
Metro LL Season Pass is $4
The opus Ride to Hell Retribution is $4
Risen 2 GOTY edition is $6

Crysis 3 ORIGIN KEY for $12
They also have Saints Row 4 ($16)and the Season Pass ($3.20) but not sure if they work here.

Yeah I haven't had to import much this year compared to the last few. Really good prices at launch and most of the time local prices will drop within the 2 weeks it takes games to come over from the UK anyway.

Do you still need to finish the SP campaign to unlock a bunch of the MP weapons?

Coz that's fucking stupid if you still have to.

Do the ATO know how much you were paid then? Since they seem to be the ones in the know about the whole thing. Take a shot at getting a payslip from the old employer, if they don't respond you can tell the ATO that you had no luck.
MP3 season pass worth it? And Crysis 3 worth it?

Fuck, I should stop buying games. Tempted by Ride to Hell though, the GBQL has just about sold me on it. Should probably tell Thumbs to do it was well, for that price.

Thanks, bargin octopus!

Shaneus

Wait.

Nineteen year-old.

FOUR YEAR-OLD SON?!? Fucking hell.

Bet his 4yo. will be getting plenty of CoD and FIFA on for Christmas, then.

Shaneus

MP3 DLC is all multiplayer map packs. Eh. Nope.

Crysis 3 looks great! Although I am tired as fuck of the style now so it didn't grab me beyond the amazing IQ and fidelity. Game itself is okayish. Maybe. Origin though :/
Cheers tiger.

PS. So happy, apparently there's a money glitch in GT6. I can finally buy cars without being so cautious and indecisive about what I want!

hamchan

Cheers tiger.

PS. So happy, apparently there's a money glitch in GT6. I can finally buy cars without being so cautious and indecisive about what I want!

Oh wow, a huge exploit too. I think I'll do it. The grind of this game is not the fun part. Getting access to the 1200 cars so I can drive whatever I want is.

Card Boy

Banned
I don't have a 3DS yet and Nintendos shitty site has no pricing information. How much Nintendo points / cash or whatever they are calling it do i have to buy to get Ace Attorney 5 and Crimson Shroud? I kinda feel dirty having to buy digitally from Nintendo.

edit: literally had to go to 10 different sites to find the price of Phoenix Wright ($40) how much does Crimson Shroud cost now?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I don't have a 3DS yet and Nintendos shitty site has no pricing information. How much Nintendo points / cash or whatever they are calling it do i have to buy to get Ace Attorney 5 and Crimson Shroud? I kinda feel dirty having to buy digitally from Nintendo.

I'd trust them more than the others to actually honour your purchases in face of an emergency.

Shaneus

What about football sims is bad for children?
2IfvFocm.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
So...the ps3 blutooth remote. Just what does it control? beyond disc playback I mean. Can you control apps for instance, like iview or netflix?

Yes for Netflix, Crunchyroll, PS3 Media Server etc but no for iView because it's browser based and a bad app.

Mar

So, just when I thought I'd be going through 2013 having just 6 games in my 'Played in 2013' list on Giantbomb... I found you can put pinball machines in there...

Lets just say the list kind of exploded.

I can even pick a top 10 for the year!

Quasar

What's the word on a proper app for PS3 and one for PS4? Should I hold my breath? Should I write to my local representative?

Well the abc still hasn't bothered with a ps3 app, and still haven't even put out a android app. They are slow as fuck in terms of providing iView apps. Now I've heard that their desire to move from flash over to completely html5 has slowed things like the android app right down.

I'm also kind of surprised no local games press have asked the abc about ps4/xbone iview support.

HolyCheck

So, just when I thought I'd be going through 2013 having just 6 games in my 'Played in 2013' list on Giantbomb... I found you can put pinball machines in there...

http://www.giantbomb.com/indiana-jones-the-pinball-adventure/3030-35222/

this pizza joint / restaurant near where I grew up had this, me and my friends families would go there once a fortnight for a group meal, sorta like 3 or 4 families (parents + kids) and the owners would always set up the machine for us so we'd have unlimited play after the first few times we went there and spent so much money on it lol.

mandiller

Well the abc still hasn't bothered with a ps3 app, and still haven't even put out a android app. They are slow as fuck in terms of providing iView apps. Now I've heard that their desire to move from flash over to completely html5 has slowed things like the android app right down.

I'm also kind of surprised no local games press have asked the abc about ps4/xbone iview support.

It's definitely been very slow. The android iView app is due out very early next year though, so it's coming.

I work for the ABC. I could fire off an email to the person in charge of apps and ask them if ps4/Xbox one support is coming. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Jintor

It's definitely been very slow. The android iView app is due out very early next year though, so it's coming.

I work for the ABC. I could fire off an email to the person in charge of apps and ask them if ps4/Xbox one support is coming. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

forget that, give me a job! \o/

Yes please! If there is a chance it's happening I would be willing to bombard the local Sony twitter account to demand they help out.

I picked up a 32Gig Memory card for PS Vita and Dragon's Crown also. Cheapest I have seen either on those online, so no complaints there :D
How much were they? Waiting for PS+ on DC. Picked up a 8GB card for $25 until the 64GB one I ordered online for $100 gets here :)

Shaneus

Bahahahaha
I take it you've just added and not sorted? Because BoP is a little further down than I expected ;)

PS. A mate of mine who already owns Rollergames just bought himself a Star Trek LE. I've been invited to the unboxing :D

HolyCheck

RAM
RAM
RAM
RAM
Space reserved in the off chance the avalanches manage to release their 2nd album in the next 20 days :(

Code:
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: Kritz
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: I love you
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: that is all
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: <3
11:38 PM - Kritz: eat a cock
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: I'll always think of you
:D

Clipper

So, I bought a game that I've been playing over the weekend fully on nostalgia value. It's a rather simple puzzle adventure game, with clips from the new series of a show that comes 30 years after the previous series. That's one hell of a hiatus.

In any case, I can't say I have ever seen a screen like this before in a game:
51EE159C-54BB-4DAB-A6E4-B6DD90C60F31-1686-000003B449455BE2_zpsf1830842.jpg

It's an interesting way to avoid spoilers, really. But I found the way they tied it only to the French airing of the show rather humourous.

Quasar

Jeez that'd be nice, I can't see it happening anytime soon though.

Personally with the browser right there I expect to see iView just work in the browser like with the ps3. Cheaper, easier. Unless Sony actually requires them to be proper apps, which would be the right thing to do imo.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Code:
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: Kritz
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: I love you
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: that is all
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: <3
11:38 PM - Kritz: eat a cock
11:38 PM - I: LafielLAPTOP2: I'll always think of you
:D

It's true.. I genuinely <3 Kritz.

Comixology are going to have 1 free comic a day for 12 days

So, I bought a game that I've been playing over the weekend fully on nostalgia value. It's a rather simple puzzle adventure game, with clips from the new series of a show that comes 30 years after the previous series. That's one hell of a hiatus.

It's an interesting way to avoid spoilers, really. But I found the way they tied it only to the French airing of the show rather humourous.

I think it's a French production that only airs in France if I remember correctly? I remember seeing the Kickstarter for this! Pretty cool.

Didn't that 007 Legends or whatever game do this? The final mission of the game wasn't on the disc, instead it was released later as free DLC because it was based on Skyfall and the game came out before the film.

Clipper

Only the cutscenes are voiced, and they seem to be directly cut (and highly abridged) from the show. And yes, they do switch to French (as does the theme song) when you switch the language in the options. I can't find any subtitle options, though.

As for the show, it's screening in the UK already according to Wikipedia. Probably won't be too long until the ABC picks it back up again or something.

Shaneus

Hard to beat that list really.

Add Aleph by Gesaffelstein.
Seems like most had forgotten about that album already. I'd actually struggle to think of 5 solid albums I enjoyed this year, probably Gesaffelstein's, the new Jacques Lu Cont one, the one JLC produced (the new Pet Shop Boys album), Daniel Avery and there's probably something else somewhere.

Omikron

So.

I have been playing a lot of Europa Universalis 4 (EU4), a bit like Crusader Kings 2 (CK2) before that, and can safely say no other game will overtake it as my favourite game of this year.

Brief overview of EU4 is that you start the game as any nation in the world at some point in history between 1444 and 1821 and you 'play' as that nation until you either don't exist or the timer runs out. It is very much in the grand strategy tradition of a Paradox game, being very complex mechanically, but it has learnt a lot of lessons from CK2 in that the presentation has been stream lined almost perfectly in such a way as to present the choices available to the player at a given time so they never feel too overwhlemed.

The difference between EU4 and CK2 is that you don't play as a character and/or dynatasy trying to move yourself up some diplomatic ladder, you play as the nation alone (although the nation itself has a leader that certainly impacts certain aspects, like technology growth). This is an important difference as a lot of people were able to connect to CK2 because of the characters rather than because of the mechanics of the game.

Currently I am playing a game as Tuscany, which starts the game with ~3 provinces in the centre of what is modern day Italy just north of Rome. My initial 'goal' for the game is to gain the achievement of forming Italy (yes, a game that is sometimes driven by achievements! but this is a completely positive experience for a sandbox style game). To form Italy you are required to own certain provinces and then be at a particular tech level (which is essentially forcing it to be past a certain date, more than anything).

My initial plan is to move south and take Rome off the Papal State, then move onto vassalising some of the smaller nations north of me, which will then allow me to annex them (essentially integrate that nation into my domain) so as not to piss off the Holy Roman Empire (HRE) too much. Also want to jump all over Naples (which starts out controlling the southern boot part of 'Italy'), but they start under a personal union controlled by Aragon, so that will have to wait until they break free.

So once I had the intial strategy sorta of worked out, it was about putting that into action... slowly taking a province here or there, improving relations, making sure I had appropriate alliances in place (Castille being an excellent ally all game so far!), watching out for any big alliances before declaring war on another country etc etc

But then something odd happened. France briefly had a situation where they had no valid heir to the throne. Austria being the diplomatic masters they are jumped in there and secured a personal union with France. Meaning that essentially they 'control' France to a certain degree. Then Austria manage to annex a province I need to form Italy which I was leaving to late because it was very weak and I wanted to get the far northern ones first.

One thing you want to avoid big time in this game is a big coalition of countries. Especially Austria, with their vassals, they have incredible miltary power that they can bring down on you, reducing your hard 100 years worth of effort crumbling in just a single war and needs to be avoided at all costs.

So while I ponder that situation, I start researching towards exploration / colonisation and expanding Tuscany that way, so far I have managed to colonise a couple pronvinces in West Africa and am nearly the world leader in the slave trade which is a rather uncomfortable thematic element to the game.

All the while the game is throwing various historical events at you and you are able to react to this events how you see fit and see where that pushes the alternate history. It honestly is one of the most deep and interesting video games you can play and experience. The time I have spent after or during playing paused reading up on the history of a giving duchy/nation/horde/whatever is sometimes even more interesting to see where the real history ended up.

But, Austria are weak now, they had a big war with Hungary and France too have been decimated and are being invaded by my ally Burgundy. Should I act? Bringing the wrath of a massive coalition of countries against me? Maybe. I turned the game off to ponder that particular decision today. These are decisions to be taken lightly.

Just think of it as the most amazing sandbox where anything is possible. Just you just don't really 'actively' participate in the actions, more attempt to funnel and lead things in the direction you want them to go, or not, depending on how lucky you are sometimes.

tl;dr

EU4 is a natural progression from CK2
EU4 is a fantastic game that lets you create the narrative
EU4 is the perfect nation building sandbox game with actual choices and consequence
Buy it, hate it and blame me for doing so
History is fun and you should read up about it

BF4 is a disgrace. I'm feeling bad for my 25 bucks. Campaign crashed on me literally after each level. On the 4th level it crashed while saving and corrupted my savegame. All progress gone. I'm not even going to touch it till these game breaking issues have been sorted out.
If you want to go through the SP then try disabling your internet connection on the PS4 and don't launch BF4 with the network connection enabled until you've finished with the SP. That worked for me. It's the online/battlelog stuff that seems to cause the save corruption.

Don't forget that you can retrieve save files from the cloud too.

Quasar

tl;dr

EU4 is a natural progression from CK2
EU4 is a fantastic game that lets you create the narrative
EU4 is the perfect nation building sandbox game with actual choices and consequence
Buy it, hate it and blame me for doing so
History is fun and you should read up about it

It is awesome. I do think I prefer CK2 though. And speaking of these games, I just listened to a recent episode of Three Moves ahead discussing the new CK2 expansion and it was speculated that Victoria 3 would allow you to import from EU4. Imagine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom