• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruncho

If any of the IRC peoples are around, I'm Cruncho\ (surprisingly!). Thanks for making me feel welcome..

Ya's needa calm down.

If any of the IRC peoples are around, I'm Cruncho\ (surprisingly!). Thanks for making me feel welcome..

Ya's needa calm down.

Welcome! Introduce yourself! We are a loving lot here I promise.

Also don't take your IRC/SteamChat experience to heart. Took me 5 or 6 times before I stopped feeling like they wanted to permaban my disgusting existence from chat :)

Jintor

Rayman Legends is a great game, especially on Vita. I give it my Seal of Approval.

seal_of_approval_Rally_Signs_s500x332_102609_580_Whats_your_fave_bandssingers_whatever-s500x332-102733-475.jpg

Ya's needa calm down.

HAH
well you arnt a robot so you can totally come back
welcome aboard the ausgaf train

sorry we hurt your feelings, if it makes you feel better the paranoia that surrounded your lurking was kinda fun for a lot of us

2nd edit
big ups danoss

Kritz

Banned

Ya's needa calm down.

ausgaf chat is pretty cliquey and on top of that we're a bunch of over analyzing cynical wankers.

I appreciate the amount of amusement and paranoia you unintentionally bought to the channel the past week, because I thoroughly enjoyed our shitty little witch hunt where banana thought you were a data mining robot.

but also we're like 3 for 3 scaring off new people and I think that's kind of funny too.

Shaneus

Managed a 6th place finish in the final of one of my pinball leagues. The competition started in February and has been running all year. I'm pretty happy with 6th for three reasons:

1. I did pretty good in some rounds but there were a couple where I came second last. I managed a strong few games in the final to claw back some places.
2. Three of the people ahead of me are in the top 10 players in Australia.
3. My buddy won it, beating the number 1 ranked player in Australia.

All good fun. Looking forward to the comp again next year.

Now, to concentrate on the NSW final of the AUS / NZ pinball open next weekend. This one will be even harder...
Well done! PS. Don't choke like I did :/

Regarding The Genius Season 1, click here for a solution.
I'm generally a "full-season-or-nothing" kinda dude, so thanks! I haven't kept up to date at all via this thread, but your interest has definitely piqued mine :)

Killzone has its appeal but I'm not really enjoying it this time around. Well, I was until I got Battlefield 4 with that Amazon deal and I haven't touched it since. Barely had any issues outside of not getting my XP one time after a particularly good game I had.

BF4 is a disgrace. I'm feeling bad for my 25 bucks. Campaign crashed on me literally after each level. On the 4th level it crashed while saving and corrupted my savegame. All progress gone. I'm not even going to touch it till these game breaking issues have been sorted out.

Cruncho

ausgaf chat is pretty cliquey and on top of that we're a bunch of over analyzing cynical wankers.

I appreciate the amount of amusement and paranoia you unintentionally bought to the channel the past week, because I thoroughly enjoyed our shitty little witch hunt where banana thought you were a data mining robot.

but also we're like 3 for 3 scaring off new people and I think that's kind of funny too.

I've been laughing at the logs for a while. Hell, you even found my steam profile at one point!

edit: and you dox'd me!

dinopoke

Man, what a depressing thread

To me, probably the only game that ever had truly meaningful (as in 'would cascade throughout the entire game in unexpected and crazy ways' meaningful) story-related choices was probably Alpha Protocol. Pity about the gameplay.
Tbh I agree with the OP but with less hate. TWD does have a great story but the game itself is pretty bad. Finding out all the tough choices you made didn't really matter was a slap in the face.

Rlan

Man, what a depressing thread

To me, probably the only game that ever had truly meaningful (as in 'would cascade throughout the entire game in unexpected and crazy ways' meaningful) story-related choices was probably Alpha Protocol. Pity about the gameplay.

I don't hate Telltale. I just don't like their kind.

I still feel like ToMI was a pile of horse shit. The writing was mostly shit. Most importantly though, the art and gameplay made me fucking cry. It was the Crystal Skull of the franchise for me. It raised my hopes and dashed them, over an increasingly long period of episodic time.

Any way.

Telltale can write now.

They can't design or test or build a game though.

Interactive fiction is their forte. The Walking Dead worked best when all you had on screen was the unique art style, emotive animation, top notch writing and fantastic voice work.
Once you added gameplay or user interaction it became a clunky shitshow. Minor changing of dialogue trees worked fine. That was okay.

WHAT SUCKS THOUGH?

The engine is shit. It loses your saves. It loses your settings. It loses your choices. It runs as if your PC/360/PS3 is a TI-83.

As soon as it loses your choices it loses you as a captive audience.

Lee is no longer your Lee that you have watched surviving the apocalypse. It just turns into a one way experience no different to a TV show or movie.

You had one thing to do right Telltale. And you couldn't do that. You couldn't even do that for Fables apparently.

Having 4 projects on the go? Yeah no chance things will improve. They will continue to be slightly iterative interactive fiction.

Gone Home is a great example of where the adventure genre can go. Tells the story in the best possible fashion for the effect the designer wants. Hits home really fucking well. Made by like 6 people compared to the 100+ at Telltale too. Fullbright had a plan and executed it perfectly. No need to use a template, no need to reuse an engine and processes.

Makes sense that Jake & Sean left. Must suck to make a ton of money for someone else's IP when all you can see on the horizon is more tie-in games.

But yeah. Alpha Protocol is still the benchmark. An insane amount of user customisation there. One of the best games of the generation for me, despite being rushed out the door half cooked.

OMG LAFIEL IS GOING TO BRISBANE THIS MONTH FOR 4 DAYS THEREFORE BRISGAF MEET-UP!

When?: December 14th, Saturday 5:00 pm start.

Where?: The Mana Bar: 420 Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006

Attending: Lafiel, Lexi, Shanshan310, Rlan, Bulbagarden

Maybe: Catbug/Will, Stackboy, FallbackPants.

Not Attending:

Sorry, I've had something come up on the 14th (relating to the contests my site is running for Christmas), I won't be able to attend.

Ataxia

So that EB Mad Monday thing is on. I'm still a cheap arse as nothing's cheap enough to get.

I'm trying to get BF4 Limited Edition (only $48) and a Wired Controller ($36) but Paypal isn't working! I should probably take it as a sign that I don't particularly need either of those things...

and hey. it's my first post in this thread (literally made my account a week ago). Tasmanian here. :)

Dead Man

I'm trying to get BF4 Limited Edition (only $48) and a Wired Controller ($36) but Paypal isn't working! I should probably take it as a sign that I don't particularly need either of those things...

and hey. it's my first post in this thread (literally made my account a week ago). Tasmanian here. :)

1 week? You had to wait one week for approval? Fucking hell. Welcome. I suppose.

Nah, actually welcome.

Quasar

My only real telltale complaint is that I have to wait longer for more fables.

I don't have any real issue with the gameplay style. I don't really take issue with there being a single destination with variable paths. I was still totally emotionally moved by the journey. Which is why it was my game of the year that year...though it was pretty close with Journey.

Its kind of interesting to look at it and heavy rain, another favourite of a year of mine. Its interesting how that, whilst sharing some similarities did have some pretty substantially different endings (mine being one where the serial killer got off scott free).

I still don't get at all the whole borderlands thing. Seems like a supreme waste of their time.

Jintor

Tbh I agree with the OP but with less hate. TWD does have a great story but the game itself is pretty bad. Finding out all the tough choices you made didn't really matter was a slap in the face.

The illusion of choice was enough for me.

Massive firms almost never have meaningful choices in their games, there was never any realistic way Telltale would manage. The overhead would've been apocalyptic.

The formula is efficient enough apparently that they can just crank out more though lol. But with Jake and Sean elsewhere, we'll see how it goes.

Rep is right though: fuck that engine. Janky, hitchy, save-losing piece of crap.

Ataxia

1 week? You had to wait one week for approval? Fucking hell. Welcome. I suppose.

Nah, actually welcome.

Haha yeah. I was pretty surprised myself... I made a Bigpond email on Thursday, signed up on Friday and got a confirmation email on Wednesday. I wasn't expecting to get approved for months.

Thanks. :)

dinopoke

The illusion of choice was enough for me.

Massive firms almost never have meaningful choices in their games, there was never any realistic way Telltale would manage. The overhead would've been apocalyptic.

The formula is efficient enough apparently that they can just crank out more though lol. But with Jake and Sean elsewhere, we'll see how it goes.

Rep is right though: fuck that engine. Janky, hitchy, save-losing piece of crap.
I don't think it would be that hard to pull off though. Obsidian isn't really that big of a studio compared to Telltale and they did it as well as making a (admittedly mediocre) third person shooter to go along with it. Games like Fallout have been doing it years ago. I think Telltale are putting their resources in the wrong place though. I wish they had the balls to ditch the rudimentary adventure/puzzle sections and spend more time on better C&C. I remember them saying it was a lot of work for them to keep track of who Lee took with him in the last episode. I think all that work was wasted because it ultimately wasn't really an interesting decision with interesting consequences. Now I'm not saying they should make completely new environments or plot directions but giving characters a persistent opinion of the player behind a strong stats backbone would be a great start. I felt they could have gone further with Lee and allowed players to shape what kind of character he is from the choices he made.
Telltale are probably aware of the complaints about the lack of consequences and probably will attempt to address it in S2 and Fables hopefully. But now that we know they are working in at least four projects, I'm worried that they might spread themselves too thin and end up playing safe again.

Jintor

I don't think it would be that hard to pull off though. Obsidian isn't really that big of a studio compared to Telltale and they did it as well as making a (admittedly mediocre) third person shooter to go along with it. Games like Fallout have been doing it years ago.

Eh... Fallout has 'choice' but it certainly doesn't have 'meaningful choice'. If anyone ever felt an inch of emotion over a choice in Fallout I would be in disbelief.

That's not to say, of course, that I would be opposed to Telltale actually going somewhere with their choices systems, and like you, I share the worry that they're overstretched.

markot

Banned
Eh... Fallout has 'choice' but it certainly doesn't have 'meaningful choice'. If anyone ever felt an inch of emotion over a choice in Fallout I would be in disbelief.

That's not to say, of course, that I would be opposed to Telltale actually going somewhere with their choices systems, and like you, I share the worry that they're overstretched.
Um wat. New Vegas?!

Jintor

Your talking about Fallout 1 right? Not Fallout 3?

Well, Fallout 2 has a more complex choice system than either, I think... but I still wouldn't say any of them have any real emotional resonance.

Um wat. New Vegas?!

NV is the smartest of all choice systems in the Fallout games (Obsidian!), but by the end it's a near-complete clusterfuck of moments that sound great but are too big for the engine to actually handle.

Danoss

I'm generally a "full-season-or-nothing" kinda dude, so thanks! I haven't kept up to date at all via this thread, but your interest has definitely piqued mine :)

Excellent! I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy it, as the rest of us have. I'd love to be in your position, watching it for the first time (again), but knowing that someone else is about to do exactly that is satisfying in itself.

Subs for Episode 1 of Season 2 are 2/3 complete with some more QC and captions to be done afterwards. It seems to be coming along nicely and knowing an 84min episode is almost upon us makes the wait even more worthwhile.

I'm pretty impressed with the Xbone/PS4 pricing of games. Outside pre-orders most all of them are $79 at JB.

They were $68 on Big W. The Xbone games are still $68 actually, PS4 games got bumped back up to $88.

In general game prices have been pretty good lately. I've bought mostly locally this year

BF4 is a disgrace. I'm feeling bad for my 25 bucks. Campaign crashed on me literally after each level. On the 4th level it crashed while saving and corrupted my savegame. All progress gone. I'm not even going to touch it till these game breaking issues have been sorted out.

That stinks. I'm talking MP only, though. I did the first SP mission then jumped straight into Conquest. Really strange how DICE hasn't gotten a handle on the issues yet. It's been more than a month

That stinks. I'm talking MP only, though. I did the first SP mission then jumped straight into Conquest. Really strange how DICE hasn't gotten a handle on the issues yet. It's been more than a month

There is message in the game menu stating that new server coming soon, so I'll wait till they fix that. Don't want to play mp and end up with zero xp like many of my other mates who are playing online, both on consoles and pc.

lexi

Banned
FML. The ATO called me and I need to lodge a tax return for some contract work I did years ago. I'm going to have to guesstimate how much I earned cause there's no chance I'm able to get records from this long ago.

Haha wow. A 19 year old father of a 4 year old bought a picture of an X1 off eBay for $750 even though it clearly stated it was a picture.
Paypal refunded his money and a retailer in the UK gave him a free X1 because apparently it was a Christmas present for his 4 year old lololololol

PS3 Move Starter Kit is $30 at DSE or $29 at Target from Thursday

The Typing of the Dead steamkey for $5.44 using GMG20-CV2W4-DSYBT
The DLC is $2.40 using GMG20-CV2W4-DSYBT code

Gamefly steamkey sale, use GFDDEC20 code
Deus Ex 3: The Prequel: Human Revolution: Directors Cut for $8
LA Noire & DLC for $6
TWD 400 Days DLC for $2
Bully Scholarship Edition for $3
Max Payne 3 for $3.20 MY DEAL OF THE DAY RIGHT HERE FOLKS
MP3 Season Pass for $3
GTA4, Ballad of Gay Tony & Lost and the Damned for $6
Metro Last Light for $10.87
Metro LL Season Pass is $4
The opus Ride to Hell Retribution is $4
Risen 2 GOTY edition is $6

Crysis 3 ORIGIN KEY for $12
They also have Saints Row 4 ($16)and the Season Pass ($3.20) but not sure if they work here.

They were $68 on Big W. The Xbone games are still $68 actually, PS4 games got bumped back up to $88.

In general game prices have been pretty good lately. I've bought mostly locally this year
Yeah I haven't had to import much this year compared to the last few. Really good prices at launch and most of the time local prices will drop within the 2 weeks it takes games to come over from the UK anyway.

Do you still need to finish the SP campaign to unlock a bunch of the MP weapons?

Coz that's fucking stupid if you still have to.

FML. The ATO called me and I need to lodge a tax return for some contract work I did years ago. I'm going to have to guesstimate how much I earned cause there's no chance I'm able to get records from this long ago.
Do the ATO know how much you were paid then? Since they seem to be the ones in the know about the whole thing. Take a shot at getting a payslip from the old employer, if they don't respond you can tell the ATO that you had no luck.

lexi

Banned
Do the ATO know how much you were paid then? Since they seem to be the ones in the know about the whole thing. Take a shot at getting a payslip from the old employer, if they don't respond you can tell the ATO that you had no luck.

No. They just know that I need to lodge a return, as far as I'm aware.

The wired controllers are $36 in store anyway, on sale for Christmas

lexi

Banned
I'm pretty much all sorted with this tax thing now, just need to lodge a tax return on paper which I'm not looking forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom