• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
So AUS Gaf, who is the best bank to get a home loan through? At least a cheap % home loan?

Been looking around but they all see to vary in terms of % with the big banks being pretty high.

Brokers are better I think, but go to a few before committing because some are arseholes, and some will prefer you to go with a particular product for their own bonuses rather than for reasons that are good for you. They will be up to date on which products are the best for your situation, and a good one will understand what you need and know what to suggest. Brokers aren't perfect, but I think you will learn more by going to four different brokers than you will by going to four different banks.
Fred stole my answer. A good broker will steer you in the right direction and take into account your circumstances. For instance, you can get better deals on interest rate if you've got a big deposit or if you're willing to swallow higher lender fees, which, depending on the size of your loan, may make you better or worse off.

I do hate that the deals get better as you need them less (on account of having more money), but that's the system we operate under.

MoonGred

Sadly he didn't send me any marzipan joy joys :( There are marzipan balls so one can only hope.

If it's marzipan you're after check your local aldi. Mine usually stocks dark chocolate cover marzipan. It's the closest I've come.

For some reason they changed the shape of my favourite biscuits, instead of dinosaurs they are now some weird Aztec creature. I'm quite bummed out!

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
If it's marzipan you're after check your local aldi. Mine usually stocks dark chocolate cover marzipan. It's the closest I've come.

For some reason they changed the shape of my favourite biscuits, instead of dinosaurs they are now some weird Aztec creature. I'm quite bummed out!

I'm not so fussed about the marzipan. I'll be eating my weight in that come Christmas time in Germany. I was most excited for the knoppers. Man I'm addicted to knoppers.

MoonGred

Lol.
I think an Aldi opened up somewhere in Adelaide recently or is about to. Might have to give them a visit!

I forgot aldi wasn't a nation wide thing just yet. You'll probably love it, they tend to have a fair bit of german stuff.
The other day I bought 3 jars of 5kg full of European style gherkin.

Friday night: Dinner on O'Connell St or Melbourne St then a live gig of something in the city

Saturday: Barossa wine tour if you're in to that, even if you don't drink it's nice scenery

Sunday: Borrow a bike from the Adelaide City Council on Pirie St and ride around the parklands with a picnic by the Torrens. From the Torrens catch a ride on Popeye and go to the zoo if you want to see the pandas, then get Popeye back to your bikes. Listen out for the history provided by the captain of the King Billy bridge.

edit: Oh, are you only here for one day? I'd do a bicycle self-tour of the city then.

Lucian Cat

AdelaideGAF! I'll be in Adelaide for the first time this Saturday. What should I do / see in your fine city?

Witchgrinder are playing a gig in town if that's your jam. Adelaide wise, umm, we have balls in the mall?
I don't town much, I'm a terrible advice giver
Otherwise come to the Barossa like Mark said. We have lots of wine and I might even say hello!

Edit: And then come say hi when you hit Germany in December :D I'll be up in Hamburg

Yeah only a really quick visit unfortunately. Flying in late Friday, seeing the Stones Saturday night and flying out Sunday morning. I wanted to spend a proper few days and check out the Barossa and even try to wrangle some sort of GAF meet, but I blew all my annual leave for UK / Germany in December.

The biking actually sounds nice Marky Mark, cheers :)

Edit:
And then come say hi when you hit Germany in December :D I'll be up in Hamburg

Ah, Berlin is as far north as I can go! But if you and Bufbaf are in the area around New Year's I'll definitely be up for something!

My German is horrendous :(

The top down stuff looks pretty great, animation and destruction looks fantastic.
Very much seems like a 2014 version of Postal.

If it plays well I might give it a shot.

It's a pretty safe assumption that Dick doesn't do release date delivery on games right?
Their policy is post out day before release through Star Track who are extremely good/quick. All depends on when they get their stock though of course.

Diablo 3 didn't get sent out until nearly a week after release but Shadow of Mordor got to me on release day. Driveclub was 3 days late. They can be hit and miss.

Yeah Aldi has always had tons of marzipan and gingerbread, the son loves the stuff!

Also yeah, they do change their internal products quite a bit. They had an insanely delicious line of Twisties for like 90c a pack. I was addicted to that shit until they changed the ingredients and the cooking process so not only do they crumble differently but they also taste like horse shit now. I have an inkling the magic ingredient was MSG.

Good news for me though! Chips and shit are my vice, lost 20kg since kicking that stuff and going with our new diet.

Although tbh the Aldi Twisties changed like 9 months ago, I just shifted my consumption onto Red Rock Deli which was even worse lol

Lucian Cat

Yeah only a really quick visit unfortunately. Flying in late Friday, seeing the Stones Saturday night and flying out Sunday morning. I wanted to spend a proper few days and check out the Barossa and even try to wrangle some sort of GAF meet, but I blew all my annual leave for UK / Germany in December.

The biking actually sounds nice Marky Mark, cheers :)

Edit:

Ah, Berlin is as far north as I can go! But if you and Bufbaf are in the area around New Year's I'll definitely be up for something!

My German is horrendous :(

Lol my 60yo workmate is going to that too :p

I honestly have no idea what we're doing for new years. All I know is there will be snow.

My German is horrendous too. Buf does all the talking, I just say Danke

Lol my 60yo workmate is going to that too :p

I honestly have no idea what we're doing for new years. All I know is there will be snow.

My German is horrendous too. Buf does all the talking, I just say Danke

Laugh it up :p Your workmate has good taste!

But yeah, I think we'll be around the Brandenburg Gate celebrations for NYE (sadly no snow guarantee :/)

Any chance we could knock up a RadGAF meet this weekend then? I'm actually free!

Am available late late Friday night and Saturday day!

lewisgone

Hey AusGAF. Any of you ever order a package from game.co.uk? If so, how long did it take for it to turn up? It's been 2 weeks since a couple games I ordered shipped. Getting worried :(

Their policy is post out day before release through Star Track who are extremely good/quick. All depends on when they get their stock though of course.

Diablo 3 didn't get sent out until nearly a week after release but Shadow of Mordor got to me on release day. Driveclub was 3 days late. They can be hit and miss.

Fuck, thurs is a public holiday in hob. I wonder if that affects it since its just in hobart...

Darren870

Fred stole my answer. A good broker will steer you in the right direction and take into account your circumstances. For instance, you can get better deals on interest rate if you've got a big deposit or if you're willing to swallow higher lender fees, which, depending on the size of your loan, may make you better or worse off.

I do hate that the deals get better as you need them less (on account of having more money), but that's the system we operate under.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to find a good one in Melbourne then.

Hey AusGAF. Any of you ever order a package from game.co.uk? If so, how long did it take for it to turn up? It's been 2 weeks since a couple games I ordered shipped. Getting worried :(
I used to get a few, most cheap cheap UK stuff is generally 10-15 business days although it has been quicker lately.

Check out base.co.uk too, they tend to have some really cheap deals now and then. I pre-ordered Metro Redux on PS4 for like $38 posted and it arrived even before the AU release date lol

Haven't opened it yet >_<

Fuck, thurs is a public holiday in hob. I wonder if that affects it since its just in hobart...
Release day is Friday? Shouldn't be an issue. They will post it out on Thursday in Sydney if they have stock, will go Syd -> Tas overnight by air and then get sorted on the Friday morning for delivery.

Most couriers work through public holidays too I think, I've had packages arrive on them before.

The developers are Nazis. Don't.

Like literal Nazis? I remember their work at The Farm 51 which was really shithouse so I was surprised this was such a step up.

I played Shadow Complex so I'd probably play this. It's hard to seperate the artist from the art but I'm more open to it than most people I expect.

Hmmm deferred examination application for someone going to PAX. I shouldn't approve it, but I kind of want to. It's one of you guys isn't it?

Lucian Cat

Alright, let's do it! Will let you guys decide on the place since you're local. I'm good for whatever.
That is a very good question. Where to eat. I don't eat in town except fast food stuffs so I'm useless. Maybe someone else can help out here.
You probably already know this, but Hahndorf has a few shops that always have heaps of marzipan.

I did not. If I go up that way I'll check it out!

Gazunta

If you don't give people time off to go to PAX then seriously what kind of GAFfer are you?!

I give my guys time off to do all sorts of stupid shit. It works out better in the long run, they don't have to pull off suspicious sickies, everyone trusts each other more, and you get a happier team.

If you don't give people time off to go to PAX then seriously what kind of GAFfer are you?!

I give my guys time off to do all sorts of stupid shit. It works out better in the long run, they don't have to pull off suspicious sickies, everyone trusts each other more, and you get a happier team.

My boss is pretty cruisy when it comes to time off
I should have gone to PAX
but assessing student applications is my job and while there's a certain amount of leeway I can work with there are pretty clear cut rules.

This guy was saying when he booked his tickets last year he had no way of knowing exams would be during PAX time... but the academic calendar is released 18 months in advance!

Here's a lesson: if you are a student and want a deferred examination, go see a doctor or counsellor. Sure it will cost you, but it's sure to get approved.

My boss is pretty cruisy when it comes to time off
I should have gone to PAX
but assessing student applications is my job and while there's a certain amount of leeway I can work with there are pretty clear cut rules.

This guy was saying when he booked his tickets last year he had no way of knowing exams would be during PAX time... but the academic calendar is released 18 months in advance!

Here's a lesson: if you are a student and want a deferred examination, go see a doctor or counsellor. Sure it will cost you, but it's sure to get approved.

Booooooooooooo.

trinest

My boss is ace with me going away for PAX, even to the point he didn't know what days I was going away and though I was going away less time when I will be.

Ah small business/family business.

lol didn't expect a link to FNVG. Not a fan of their stuff to be honest after the whole Akiba’s Trip fiasco.

I expected actual Nazi stuff so now I'm disappointed they are so boring :(

Yeah this. So much this. I tell my boss when I want to take a day off to watch E3. At least then we can agree quite easily that people can call me up during the day whenever to ask questions since I'm not sick or something.

If everyone is honest it avoids a slippery slope of getting in the habit about lying about work things.

He had no idea he would literally have an exam on that day though, which is the most annoying thing.

It's like a service person saying, "I'll be there between 9am and 5pm! Maybe!". That always gave me the shits with uni, although I understand why they can't nail down a time for each session. But that should me you can choose to take that exam or a later, make up exam. I see zero reason why a student shouldn't be allowed that.

Thanks for the game Hamchan and Dishwasher! Both times I jumped in at the last second and reaped the rewards sorry lol. Did you get your Thorn Dishwasher? As soon as we quit out of that strike I had to go and take the boy to the toilet as I was running solo parent tonight. Those shielded Ultras are annoying as feck.

Akiba? Trip? FNVG?

Take a trip to Akiba!

Yeah I got the Thorn. God that extra shield skull is just obnoxious. Thanks for your help couldn't have done it without you. Took it for a spin in PvP and it seems pretty solid.

Manax

Yeah I got the Thorn. God that extra shield skull is just obnoxious. Thanks for your help couldn't have done it without you. Took it for a spin in PvP and it seems pretty solid.

Thanks for the invite jerk, I'm up to the moon mission hope you'll run it with me.

Also this thread is in need of DEALS OCTOPUS

convince me to buy some cheap video games, preferably of the PS4 variety.

He had no idea he would literally have an exam on that day though, which is the most annoying thing.

It's like a service person saying, "I'll be there between 9am and 5pm! Maybe!". That always gave me the shits with uni, although I understand why they can't nail down a time for each session. But that should me you can choose to take that exam or a later, make up exam. I see zero reason why a student shouldn't be allowed that.

Wellll the exam period is for 9 days and the guy is from Brisbane. I certainly wouldn't be booking a 4 day interstate trip during the exam period.

I certainly missed out on concerts and things while studying, but that's just the way it goes
never studying again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom