• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Anybody else not care about gamergate?

I'm kind of addicted to it at the moment. I can't look away.

Call me ignorant but I don't even know what it's about .

The opening paragraphs of the wikipedia article are a pretty good summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

Pasting it because wikipedia.

Gamergate (sometimes referred to as the hashtag #GamerGate) is a controversy within video game culture concerning misogynistic attacks on various indie game developers, video game journalists, and other personalities involved with the video game industry. These attacks have included doxxing and death threats that led three women to decide to leave their homes when sent threats that included their addresses. Those that support GamerGate as a consumer movement claim that they are simply concerned with ethical issues in video game journalism, particularly conflicts of interest between journalists and developers, and that those performing the attacks are a minority that do not represent their goals. GamerGate supporters' apparent unwillingness or inability to control the harassers, and the group's focus on independent developers rather than the larger companies, has resulted in a widespread discrediting of its views and aims in mainstream sources. The harassment campaigns against women, combative rhetoric, and criticism of those examining video games from feminist or other minority perspectives has resulted in the movement being widely viewed as fighting a culture war against the increasing diversity of video game culture.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8]

The controversy first came to wider attention due to the sustained harassment that developer Zoe Quinn was subjected to after an ex-boyfriend attacked her in a blog post, which included several allegations that included one that said she was romantically involved with with Nathan Grayson, a Kotaku journalist.[9] Some Internet users, particularly on 4chan and Reddit, began attacking Quinn under the false assumption that her relationship resulted in favorable media reviews for her recently released game Depression Quest. Although these concerns about journalistic impropriety proved unfounded,[10][a] allegations about journalistic ethics continued to clash with acts of harassment and misogyny as Zoe Quinn fled her home due to threats against her life.[12] Around the same time, feminist media critic Anita Sarkeesian released a new video in her series looking at the depiction of women in video games, which previously garnered criticism and harassment from the gaming community, leading to a new round of harassment and death threats that also led her to flee her home.[14] As the controversy continued, new topics of debate arose that have included perceived changes or threats to the "gamer" identity as a result of the ongoing maturation and diversification of the gaming industry.[2][3][4][5] In October 2014, renewed death threats to Sarkeesian over a planned talk at a university and new death threats to indie game developer Brianna Wu brought further international attention to the controversy.[15]

The rising popularity of the medium, and greater emphasis on games as a potential art form, has led to a commensurate focus on social criticism within gaming media and indie works.[7][11][16] This shift has been argued to have prompted the opposition from traditional "hardcore" gamers who view games purely as a form of entertainment.[6][7][11][17] This opposition has been argued to be the origin of the personal harassment of female figures in the industry rather than constructive cultural conversations.[12][7] The harassment campaign against Quinn attracted significant mainstream media attention which focused on the sexist, misogynistic and trolling elements within the gamer community. Allegations of impropriety in gaming media have prompted policy changes at several outlets, and commentators generally agree that systemic problems in the gaming media need to be discussed; however, the harassment and misogyny associated with Gamergate is seen as having poisoned the well. Furthermore, the choice to focus the campaign on a heretofore relatively obscure independent developer rather than AAA publishers has led to questions about its motivations.

I have stipulated I will be attending Friday evening drinks at a location to be announced.

5-6pm kick off perhaps?

Location must have access to quality beer flavoured beverages (which ibet means we end up at beer deluxe or penny blue)

I will be attending this glorious event

Not sure if I'll be able to make anything yet, perhaps Friday drinks hopefully though. I'd suggest dumplings personally. They're cheap, plentiful, tasty, and there's tons of great places in the city. And there's usually something vegetarian for those that way inclined.

Location must have access to quality beer flavoured beverages (which ibet means we end up at beer deluxe or penny blue)
Penny Blue sadly seems to have gone downhill, last time I visited it just felt like a shadow of its former self. For out of towers, Beer Deluxe is really hard to beat due to its promixity (edit: to trains and stuff, not so close to the convention) and general OKness. Or, Cookie I suppose?

B'Churrasco has to be the place. That Brazilian BBQ joint.
Seems it may be a bit expensive? But on the subject of South American steaks you may want you check out San Telmo.

That's a surprisingly short list of beers. Some are not even German, let alone Bavarian! Where's Weihenstephaner?

Not sure if I'll be able to make anything yet, perhaps Friday drinks hopefully though. I'd suggest dumplings personally. They're cheap, plentiful, tasty, and there's tons of great places in the city. And there's usually something vegetarian for those that way inclined.

That's a surprisingly short list of beers. Some are not even German, let alone Bavarian! Where's Weihenstephaner?

Dumplings Plus near Melb Central is pretty good, and cheap.

I don't know about those beers, looked like an interesting place. I'm okay with any venue.

Salazar

Anyone have experience with disputed charges on their phone bill ?

Apparently I inadvertently clicked and subscribed to some bullshit scam Playplanet thing. It shows up on my Vodafone bill as a $15 charge - part of an ongoing subscription. Vodafone, when I call, agree to cut my number off from that company. They tell me to get in touch with the company themselves about a refund.

I haven't paid the bill yet, so it seems bullshit to give them money only to retrieve it. Is that what I have to do ? I'll phone Vodafone in the morning, but I don't want to give this blatantly shady company more details than they already have.

Edit - well, Vodafone indicate I have to pay the money and then negotiate with the scum for a refund.

You, or someone with physical access to your phone, were most likely browsing
the internet or using an application on your phone and saw an ad for our
PlayPlanet Application.After clicking the ad, you were brought to a page where
the terms and cost of the service were displayed explaining that PlayPlanet is
a billed as a subscription services at $15.00/month. In order to subscribe, you
first had to click the subscribe button to initiate the subscription. The page
then refreshed informing you of your subscription and the cost of the service.
After completing the sign up, your phone accessed the homepage of the service
and displayed a popup with instructions on how to save the app on your phone. A
welcome message was also sent to your phone containing pricing and customer
support information. A subscription cannot be completed without this process
and can only be done by someone with physical access to the phone.

Your subscription with PlayPlanet was canceled on 27/10/2014. Our last charge
was on 11/10/2014. There will be no further charges beyond this billing cycle.
Nevertheless, as a token of goodwill and to meet our customer service
requirements a refund has been approved for $15.00 AUD. In order for us to
process the refund please advise which refund method suits you best. We have
the following 2 options:

• PayPal- This does require that you already have an existing PayPal account.
The amount will be refunded directly to you. An email will be sent from PayPal
to [customer email address] within 7 – 10 working days providing you with
instructions on how to redeem your refund. Please provide the PayPal email
address. • Bank Transfer- In order for us to process the refund in this way, we
kindly ask of you to reply to us with the following info: Bank Account Owner
Bank Account Number Customer Bank BSB Number Can you confirm which you will
prefer? As per our privacy policy all personal details requested including the
mobile number and details for the refund will only be used to issue your refund
and will not be shared with third parties.

Trevelyon

Came back from JB with Bayo 2. It sure is a sexy paper weight :(

Nice that 1 and 2 come in separate boxes.

So, is the UK special edition the standard retail release here? Because most, if not all Aus websites have the US style box with the Bayo 1 sticker advertised.

Would like the sleeve box if possible without importing.

markot

Banned
Eating week old spaghetti you didn't really cover properly in the fridge or heat up enough in the microwave isn't a good idea.

Dumplings Plus near Melb Central is pretty good, and cheap.
Is that the place in the basement where you can order dumplings from the touch screens?

I don't know about those beers, looked like an interesting place. I'm okay with any venue.
Yeah, my comment wasn't really directed at you. I've heard OK things about the place from non-beery friends so I suppose it's not all bad. It's just if they're missing Augustiner and Weihenstephaner, two well-known breweries from the area, they can't be too serious in my mind. Augustiner is in Munich, and Weihenstephan, though a little bit out, has a partnership with a university in Munich to teach brewing courses. It'd be like an overseas Outback Steakhouse not selling Foster's!

Darren870

Hmm oddly I haven't seen a fosters on tap. I know it's not really an Aussie beer, but I'd think I'd see it at least once by now.

Its pretty much guaranteed in every pub in London

Contrary to popular belief, it really isn't an "Aussie Beer", just really clever marketing for overseas markets. I am personally really getting into Beer, and have had good exposure growing up, but have never tried, or even seen Foster's in person.

Omikron

Contrary to popular belief, it really isn't an "Aussie Beer", just really clever marketing for overseas markets. I am personally really getting into Beer, and have had good exposure growing up, but have never tried, or even seen Foster's in person.

Only time I have seen it for sale was in Lygon St (unsurprising I suppose). I tried it. It's just 'beer' and not really different from most Australian mass market beers.

Clipper

Hey guys, do we have plans for a Thursday pre-pax meetup yet? Beer Deluxe was great last year.

If the weather is fine, and the area is lit and available in the evening, we might even be able to include rooftop board gaming at my hotel afterwards :).

Gazunta

FUCK YES X-WING OH YES what is this like the fourth time I've bought X-Wing already ><

I always liked X-Wing better than TIE Fighter because I just couldn't get over the idea of playing as a bad guy.

Oh man I hope somehow it supports a 360 controller, I know that is a LONG LONG LONG SHOT

Clipper

I preferred Tie Fighter, partially because I played it first, but perhaps mostly as I was intrigued by getting new ranks on the Emperor's track...

Is that the place in the basement where you can order dumplings from the touch screens?

Yeah, my comment wasn't really directed at you. I've heard OK things about the place from non-beery friends so I suppose it's not all bad. It's just if they're missing Augustiner and Weihenstephaner, two well-known breweries from the area, they can't be too serious in my mind. Augustiner is in Munich, and Weihenstephan, though a little bit out, has a partnership with a university in Munich to teach brewing courses. It'd be like an overseas Outback Steakhouse not selling Foster's!

No, this one:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1476084/restaurant/CBD/Dumplings-Plus-Melbourne

Then we should definitely go there and you can tell them what they need to stock if they want to be a German beer bar. :p

Hurry up and get my SP2 ready Harvey, I want to pick it up tonight.

Had no idea there were like 24 hr delays with click and collect on an item that is in stock.

MoonGred

Hurry up and get my SP2 ready Harvey, I want to pick it up tonight.

Had no idea there were like 24 hr delays with click and collect on an item that is in stock.

Don't ever do click and collect with target. I had to wait a week before I could pick up my 3ds xl, it was listed as in stock. The argument they used is that they can't use store stock because it's allocated to the store, because I paid for it only I bought ny item from the general warehouse. Taking an item from the store would screw up their till for the day.

Gazunta

FFS AusGAF why are you so quiet today

I....I kinda want to buy an Xbox One to play Sunset Overdrive on CAN YOU JUMP OFF BUILDINGS IN IT I WANT TO KNOW

Taking recommendations for games to play on the plane trip to Melbourne for 3DS and Vita although I guess I can just play more Street Fighter 4 on 3DS and Street Fighter Alpha 2 on Vita IF I MUST GOD

Is anyone else here planning on buying a PlayStation TV or is it just me? I want that TxK on the big screen aw yes

Actually that reminds me of a legit question I have about XBone, Wii U and PS4 - do they REQUIRE a HDMI port on your TV? I know that sounds like a weird question, but the TV I have in the lounge room has one HDMI port that is broken so I'm using
filthy common
component out from my PS3 / 360 / Wii. It'll do for now, and we're not planning on buying a new TV for the lounge room until a few months into the new year, but it's something I need to think about in case Santa happens to give me a new console...

HOPES FOR THINGS TO BE SHOWN / ANNOUNCED AT PAX LET'S GO

* Strip Search
Down Under
End of list

I wonder if M$ will roll out the $50 off promotion world wide for the xbone.

Hmm oddly I haven't seen a fosters on tap. I know it's not really an Aussie beer, but I'd think I'd see it at least once by now.

Its pretty much guaranteed in every pub in London

I always get in when in London, everyone thinks it's the only beer we drink. Very well marketed.

I'm flat out seeing it at a bottleshop, let alone on tap.

I bought a Foster's from Dan Murphy's a couple of years back. Couldn't get through it, and though I'm a snob, I'll finish just about any beer put in front of me.

Gazunta

Yeah I totally should play SR4, I liked what I played of 3 once I got past how gleefully it partook in shooting bystanders for fun. Something about how in Crackdown you were a genetically enhanced supercop made it somehow...OK? I'm weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom