• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

my friends think m crazy but its so true, huge worker costs, globalization as well as computers/automation our gonna screw us over in the long run, with all these ppl being fired from ford and shit competing over less and less jobs, or going onto centelink supported by less and less taxpayers, were so fucked in the future.

Err that I disagree with. People need to adapt and learn new skill sets. 30 years ago there was more retail jobs and service industry jobs. Now there is more technology jobs and computer related jobs. You can't hold out on a retail job hoping to last till the bitter end. You should adapt to the current trends and movements. It increases your skill set and well rounds you as an individual.

Computers might replace some jobs but they create others.

Fredescu

Beat me to it.

Nah we're not fucked, but the future economy will not resemble the past economy. Labour will eventually be majority-automated, and large unemployment figures will be "normal" in a healthy economy. If you imagine a thriving first world where 25% unemployment is the norm, existing social structures can't sustain it without fairly radical reform. The productivity isn't gone, and the money isn't gone, but there would need to be mechanisms to ensure that huge amounts of the population aren't just living in poverty and starving. And it will be in the wealthy classes' best interest to make sure people get their bread and circuses so as to avoid being lynched by starving mobs.

I doubt our political maturity to get to this point without a huge crash in the middle. Most people decry dole bludgers and lap up the kind of ACA/Newscorp narrative about how much of a lowlife you must be to be unemployed. In the meantime they're expanding things like work for the dole which have been shown make it more difficult for people to enter the workforce.

Err that I disagree with. People need to adapt and learn new skill sets. 30 years ago there was more retail jobs and service industry jobs. Now there is more technology jobs and computer related jobs. You can't hold out on a retail job hoping to last till the bitter end. You should adapt to the current trends and movements. It increases your skill set and well rounds you as an individual.

Computers might replace some jobs but they create others.

but say they replace way more jobs than they create.

my friends think m crazy but its so true, huge worker costs, globalization as well as computers/automation our gonna screw us over in the long run, with all these ppl being fired from ford and shit competing over less and less jobs, or going onto centelink supported by less and less taxpayers, were so fucked in the future.
That's not necessarily true. It just means that there will be different jobs available. For example, these checkouts still need people to service and update them and so on, and since there's more parts there's more to service.

I'm sure people said the same when industrialisation began, and tons of people flocked to Ford since they were the highest paying job going, in a factory. Now, we're phasing out factories, but there's still a ton of service jobs around.

My local supermarket usually has one or two cashiers with lines 5-10 people deep. I go to the automated one and am done before the cashiers have moved 1-2 people. If I'm doing a big order I do it online. Bugger waiting around any more.

Gazunta

Just wait till automated vehicles put truck drivers, taxi drivers and large sections of traffic enforcement people out of work. It's gonna be amazing.

Which one? Z3 pre orders went up today. So I pre ordered.
iPhone 6. Not the plus, just the normal one. No reason for it to take so long unless gold 64Gb was so in demand. I just wanted something iOS that looked different from the trusty black iphone 4 that I've been using for 4 years.

Yeah, was so close to cancelling it this week and getting one from Optus again. Had already chased them up on several occasions, put in a written complaint two weeks ago (which has been ignored since they claim to get back to you within 5 days).

Just wait till automated vehicles put truck drivers, taxi drivers and large sections of traffic enforcement people out of work. It's gonna be amazing.

That will be amazing, I can't wait. Driving is so boring.

iPhone 6. Not the plus, just the normal one. No reason for it to take so long unless gold 64Gb was so in demand. I just wanted something iOS that looked different from the trusty black iphone 4 that I've been using for 4 years.

Yeah, was so close to cancelling it this week and getting one from Optus again. Had already chased them up on several occasions, put in a written complaint two weeks ago (which has been ignored since they claim to get back to you within 5 days).

That's a very long time, i would have canceled way earlier.

Stackboy

Playstation Gold 2.0 headset is $80 at Dick Smith! Great headset, works wirelessly with PS4/PC/(maybe PS3?). Has a cable to connect to anything else with a headphone jack.

Sold out everywhere near me, but the looks of it. I should have acted faster. Thanks for the headsup anyway rep.

When my ipod classic 160gig eventually dies, what am I going to replace it with? Now that Ipod classics don't exist anymore. I currently have about 120gig being used, between songs and podcasts.

That will be amazing, I can't wait. Driving is so boring

Driving can be okay sometimes, but it's often a huge pain in the arse. Bring on automated driving.

My friends give my girlfriend and I shit for not driving to parties/concerts and the like. But when we go to a party, we both want to party and would happily walk ten minutes to get public transport. Meanwhile everyone else is super attached to their cars and see public transport at a major hassle.

Anyway, this discussion of technology leading to loss of jobs etc is pretty interesting. I'm sure there will be major issues arising from technology in the future but I'm hopeful technology will help humanity tackle some major problems with the world today. Things like cheaply produced artificial meat have the potential to remove some of the unsustainable burden we are currently placing on the world with cattle farming.

Fredescu

Things like cheaply produced artificial meat have the potential to remove some of the unsustainable burden we are currently placing on the world with cattle farming.

Just wait for the backlash against the existence of that. There will be made up diseases and threats to stockists due to loss of farmer income and so forth. You see a similar thing happening right now with wind power.

That will be amazing, I can't wait. Driving is so boring.

That's a very long time, i would have canceled way earlier.

I would have too, but if I did I would have walked away from telstra completely and may have lost my number for a bit, which right this second would have been slighty inconvenient.

Sold out everywhere near me, but the looks of it. I should have acted faster. Thanks for the headsup anyway rep.

When my ipod classic 160gig eventually dies, what am I going to replace it with? Now that Ipod classics don't exist anymore. I currently have about 120gig being used, between songs and podcasts.

A few mates price matched at eb if youre desperate.

Driving can be okay sometimes, but it's often a huge pain in the arse. Bring on automated driving.

My friends give my girlfriend and I shit for not driving to parties/concerts and the like. But when we go to a party, we both want to party and would happily walk ten minutes to get public transport. Meanwhile everyone else is super attached to their cars and see public transport at a major hassle.

Anyway, this discussion of technology leading to loss of jobs etc is pretty interesting. I'm sure there will be major issues arising from technology in the future but I'm hopeful technology will help humanity tackle some major problems with the world today. Things like cheaply produced artificial meat have the potential to remove some of the unsustainable burden we are currently placing on the world with cattle farming.

Driving is fine, but other drivers annoy me. Got cut off twice yesterday in the space of 5 minutes. More then happy to drive/ride up a nice windy mountain road etc.

I would have too, but if I did I would have walked away from telstra completely and may have lost my number for a bit, which right this second would have been slighty inconvenient.

Ah fair enough.

Gazunta

Here's how it works, here's how it's always worked:

A new technology is introduced...and it's not that good at first. It's a decent idea, but it doesn't work right, or it's crazy expensive, or it would require mass adoption to be actually useful.

Then it gets a bit better and it's mostly ignored.

Then it gets a bit better and it's mostly made fun of.

Then it gets a bit better and we start hearing about how dangerous it is to your health / economy / community / whatever to alarm the masses.

Then it gets a LOT better and people who make their living from the old technology start campaigning for its removal Before It's Too Late.

Then a breakthrough happens. The new technology becomes mass market cheap, or the usability speed bumps get worked out, or one day you turn around and everyone has just made it part of their lives already and it's the new standard.

And then the cycle begins again.

I honestly can't think of a new piece of technology that hasn't followed this pattern, but I'd be glad to hear about one.

Shaneus

Playstation Gold 2.0 headset is $80 at Dick Smith! Great headset, works wirelessly with PS4/PC/(maybe PS3?). Has a cable to connect to anything else with a headphone jack.
Damn, that's a spicy meatball. Shame that I worked out I don't need to spend the money on it (virtual surround for headphones can be done either with the X41 Turtle Beach basestation *or* my amplifier), just need to suss out microphone dealios. Anyone know the best way of getting a microphone happening without having to wear anything (like an earbud or whatever)?

Here's how it works, here's how it's always worked:

A new technology is introduced...and it's not that good at first. It's a decent idea, but it doesn't work right, or it's crazy expensive, or it would require mass adoption to be actually useful.

Then it gets a bit better and it's mostly ignored.

Then it gets a bit better and it's mostly made fun of.

Then it gets a bit better and we start hearing about how dangerous it is to your health / economy / community / whatever to alarm the masses.

Then it gets a LOT better and people who make their living from the old technology start campaigning for its removal Before It's Too Late.

Then a breakthrough happens. The new technology becomes mass market cheap, or the usability speed bumps get worked out, or one day you turn around and everyone has just made it part of their lives already and it's the new standard.

And then the cycle begins again.

I honestly can't think of a new piece of technology that hasn't followed this pattern, but I'd be glad to hear about one.

good to see those ass-clowns are keeping you busy. also, totally agree.

I need to get your ticket to you or something, don't I? What's the best way of doing that?

I haven't looked at the schedule thoroughly, so no idea when I'll get there on Fri.
See what time you are thinking Friday, easiest would be to meet up at PAX but if not you could leave them at our hotel at Southern Cross I assume!

ninanuam

Banned
A lot of futurists have predicted that this time around (unlike every other time) the technology disruption to the economy might actually cause a widespread paradigm shift in how capital and labour work. primarily due to the ubiquitous nature of the change through all levels of society.

The issue here is that, automation and cheap labour from overseas is killing semi skilled employment (and overseas labour, once automation becomes cheap enough, also goes away) However automation is now starting to eat into low level skilled labour for example basic legal help.

Basic functionality and productivity gains in technology are removing not just guys who worked on line at ford but intermediaries in many industries. And this will only continue to become more pronounced going forward.

And these jobs, are being replaced by service jobs that pay less.

We are starting to automate second tier stuff. Eventually third tier (medical diagnosis, basic engineering etc) will fall and then what? we all just becomes thinkers and artists?
It would be nice but with our current societal structure its more likely it will be chow lines and homeless shelters.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
a fresh produce distribution centre that in australia is staffed by a few hundred employees has about half a dozen in japan, and they're all technicians toservice the machines.

truefacts.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So Friday night!

Drinks at Beer Deluxe? 5pm onward sounds good!

Nearby food joint with cheap great food? Dumplings would be great too!

No cover charge! Everyone is invited!

The annual PAXAUGAF meetup! Yay!

Put myself as a "maybe" for this. Due to being slightly sick atm and not so sure if I'll be all perfect for tomorrow, and my brother probably won't be able to give me a lift back home due to the fact he's also slightly sick atm.

Clipper

I'm in for the Friday meetup. I've also decided on which board/card games I'll be bringing down with me for those interested. Here's the list:

• Firefly: The Game (a truly awesome, and meaty game.)
  • Munchkin (lots of it)
  • Bang! The Dice Game (we played the card game version last year. This one is much faster)
  • Ca$h 'n Guns (I think this one will go down well with the group and plays up to 8)
  • The Resistance (we had so much fun last year, I'm bringing my own copy, with all the Avalon roles too)
  • Coup:The Resistance (a fun bluffing game set in the Resistance universe)
  • Love Letter (an amazingly fun little game for when there's just a few of us)
  • Innovation (this one is for few players too, but awesome. I do hope to play this with Banana, at least)
  • Chez Geek (a game about living in a US college dorm)

So yeah, couple that with the rental games available in the Tabletop room and we're golden, botht o play at the show and outside of it (for those not attending).

Apparently a suicidal guy rang up work yesterday and was asking if he killed himself would his dogs be found or would they die in his backyard. :/ One of our staff members was on the phone to him for hours and gave him some numbers and stuff so yeah.

Apparently a suicidal guy rang up work yesterday and was asking if he killed himself would his dogs be found or would they die in his backyard. :/ One of our staff members was on the phone to him for hours and gave him some numbers and stuff so yeah.

So what exactly do you do for work?

Shaneus

Plan for tomorrow Shaneus?
Reckon I'm going to the Owning Your Geek talk tomoz at 10:30, so I'll probably meet you sometime before then? No idea when, can only guess there'll be fuckoff-massive queues for everything. Maybe 9am somewhere and we can do breakfast or coffee or something?

Reckon I'm going to the Owning Your Geek talk tomoz at 10:30, so I'll probably meet you sometime before then? No idea when, can only guess there'll be fuckoff-massive queues for everything. Maybe 9am somewhere and we can do breakfast or coffee or something?
Sounds good to me! I'll check the schedule and tweet you tonight.

Stackboy

Double post, deal with it.

Any ps4 peeps getting the new cod?

Yeah I am, despite Ghosts sucking hard I am back again. AW looks alot like BLOPS2, which is my fave. PSN ID is Stackboy Royale if we aren't already PSN Palz.

What are the most worthwhile places to visit on a two-day trip to Melbourne?

I can help I was just there for a weeks holiday!! ACMI is brilliant in Federation Square. A trip down to St Kilda beach is nice, on the tram. Maybe the aquarium?

Very keen for PAX Aus next year, me and the wife have already been talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom