• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow didn't see any GAF people at all today, glad I caught up with you dudes yesterday!

I enjoyed Satellite Reign, Wave Wave, Screencheat. Also played Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive. Every one of the big games crashed on me. Tried some Oculus Rift thing.

Spent an hour playing Time Fight (still in beta with placeholder everything), a board game in which you travel back and forth through time trying to kill other people. You can go back earlier in someone's timeline and do other things to cause other things to happen (like not die, or team up with your former self to kill someone). As you'd expect, it's pretty complicated, probably overly so, but that's playtesting for you.

Spent under ten bucks besides getting there and getting in. Had an OK time. Didn't see any panels. Spent probably an hour total in lines. Hope for more indie space next year, and maybe some "wait from here is x minutes" at multiple places in long queues. And more free stuff that's not total garbage.

Oh yeah, if anyone has a spare red Screencheat badge, I'd appreciate one since the first round I played (and handily won) I was red, but they had no badges.

Looked good to me, both as a spectator in line and playing. A few graphics glitches and it crashed on me. A massive leap? No, but still looks good.
Yeah looked okay, probably not as good as the first trailer but slightly better the thread makes it out to be.

I think they could have done better though tbh.

Far Cry 4 looks FANTASTIC btw.

also, I got this little fellow today.

Naw, he's cute!

I spent my day looking like this, who needs videogames?

K9uHkGY.jpg

I wanted to take home all of them. This one is friendly, and a jumper. That's going to be fun.

After much deliberation, I named him Brando. It rolls off the tongue and my rellies can pronounce it easily enough with their accents. And my dad can remember it.

Also, I felt so out of place at the AWLQ place at Bracken Ridge because I don't have an tattoist's demo reel on my leg.

I bought android cactus today. So I hope for and others will play with me.

We pleased to meet a fellow gaffer on the booth today and I already had on radar but seeing it in action was awesome.

Also went to see ninja pizza girl in action. Already backed that one. Failed to find gaz there twice but somehow Street passed you about 30 minutes ago Lol.

wetwired

Somehow didn't see any GAF people at all today, glad I caught up with you dudes yesterday!

I enjoyed Satellite Reign, Wave Wave, Screencheat. Also played Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive. Every one of the big games crashed on me. Tried some Oculus Rift thing.

Spent an hour playing Time Fight (still in beta with placeholder everything), a board game in which you travel back and forth through time trying to kill other people. You can go back earlier in someone's timeline and do other things to cause other things to happen (like not die, or team up with your former self to kill someone). As you'd expect, it's pretty complicated, probably overly so, but that's playtesting for you.

Spent under ten bucks besides getting there and getting in. Had an OK time. Didn't see any panels. Spent probably an hour total in lines. Hope for more indie space next year, and maybe some "wait from here is x minutes" at multiple places in long queues. And more free stuff that's not total garbage.

Oh yeah, if anyone has a spare red Screencheat badge, I'd appreciate one since the first round I played (and handily won) I was red, but they had no badges.
Well you likely met a gaffer if you played satellite reign, I was manning the booth all day

Deeku

Spent the day looking at some "houses". Jesus christ hong kong property....palatial 286 square FEET apartments go for almost 800k usd, 500 sq ft for 1.3 mil

fkin depressing ass day:/

MTE

Had a ton of fun at PAX today.
Got in to one of the Division theatre things. Game has changed, but still looks pretty nice! I see myself picking it up.

Played some Android Cactus, some... of that procedural platformer... Memory fails me, bit a highlight was a game of Archipelago in the board gaming area. Pick-up games with the bro, and 3 randoms. One of whom knew how to play ^_^

Oh yeah, some trash-talking multi-pikachu matches of SSB:B, too.

Only AUSGaffer I knowingly glimpsed was Kritz, just about 11, at the exit.

Couldn't find one, all sunday passes had already been taken.

well bugger. thanks for trying though.

in other news i got charged $40 for a taxi that should have only been $20.
any suggestions, i didnt take down any of his info, though it was too much money but it was pre paid on card (which i immediatelyregret) also the meter wasnt going (also my fault).
at the time all i wanted to do was to go home and only upon reflection (and some googling) did i realise that prices havnt just gone up and that he did rip me off.

Vormund

Damn these xbox one deals are getting really good. I'd be all over it if I didn't have one already.

Anyway heading off to Pax soon anyone want to meetup at some point today? Maybe meetup at the handheld lounge at 1pm?

Clipper

Some of us (Marsh, Holy and I at least) are meeting up first thing for some board games in the Tabletop area. Feel free to join us, anyone. I'm going to grab a table near the SJGames booth, but a little bit over to avoid the tournament zone.

Kritz

Banned
I flew solo yesterday for most of the time and had a blast.

Went to a bunch of panels, including one with Randy Pitchford, who was really funny and insightful. The highlight was a panel at 9pm, where they did a preview screening of GameLoading, an upcoming documentary about indie game development / trade shows. I got to ask Rami from Vlambeer a question about my game and got some really great advice (that is, don't worry about turning my game into a paid product, just focus on adding enough value to it to the point where people would be happy to pay). I think that might be how I'll tackle the development - skip the KS, consider something like patronage to increase the dev time a little, and just work on the game for as long as I can to make it a really cool thing that people are happy to buy.

Gaz also was an amazing dude and showed me around the indie floor, putting me up to other developers and asking them about how not to get screwed over. That was absolutely awesome, and the devs there are great.

And I also played various indie games, I sat down and played some Halo 2 split screen with people for a while and that was great - haven't played that game in 7 years at this point.

Today I'll probably return to the retro area (more halo 2 please, because somehow that game is now considered retro?) and maybe go and see some of the bigger games if the lines are better. Oh, and more panels. Panels are great and thank god the venue is large enough to support them this year! I don't have to line up for 40 minutes to get a seat! :D

Oh and the coffee at the convention centre stall is actually quite reasonably priced and there's some $5 chips opposite it which make for a pretty decent lunch compared to the $12 burger and $4 water that you find in the tabletop area.

Had a fantastic weekend at PAX. Just arrived home and I'm completely buggered. Played a ton of Joust and had a blast at the Good Game Q&A yesterday. Plenty of beers were had catching up with Rezbit too. Now to rest a bit.

Catch of the day finally came good, slow and steady wins the race it seems. To be fair every online company gets compared to Amazon, which have gone above and beyond any time I've had a problem.

Camera functions are pretty useless but the room-wide microphone + voice commands are great for turning on/off and controlling media.

That's fair enough.

Shaneus

I was really let down with Sunset Overdrive. Didn't play it, but the flow seems kind of janky if you don't follow specific lines, and doesn't at all look to ever hit 30fps.

Horizon 2 is pretty sweet, though. The unskippable cutscenes and voiceovers are fucking annoying.

But those deals on the One are ridiculous. Is the MS deal with physical or digital download titles? Not that I have the money, just curious.

Dimefan3

I flew solo yesterday for most of the time and had a blast.

Went to a bunch of panels, including one with Randy Pitchford, who was really funny and insightful. The highlight was a panel at 9pm, where they did a preview screening of GameLoading, an upcoming documentary about indie game development / trade shows. I got to ask Rami from Vlambeer a question about my game and got some really great advice (that is, don't worry about turning my game into a paid product, just focus on adding enough value to it to the point where people would be happy to pay). I think that might be how I'll tackle the development - skip the KS, consider something like patronage to increase the dev time a little, and just work on the game for as long as I can to make it a really cool thing that people are happy to buy.

Oh and the coffee at the convention centre stall is actually quite reasonably priced and there's some $5 chips opposite it which make for a pretty decent lunch compared to the $12 burger and $4 water that you find in the tabletop area.

I paid 20 bucks last night at the cafe next to the freeplay area for some pretty ordinary food that I just couldn't eat. Ick.

I was at the Game Loading panel last night too...it was quite a interesting one, I backed them on Kickstarter last year and am looking forward to the movie.

I had fun this weekend. Met a few guys from the YouTube community, spent not quite as much as I planned to, but not nearly enough as I wanted to :) I nearly bought one of the LG monitors they had on special, but the thought of lugging it around Melbourne to catch a train stopped me. Other than that I saw some great panels, and met some great people (even though I'm not that great at making friends very well). I'm definitely going again next year, and nearly very tempted to look into how much a trip to a PAX in the states would cost.

As for tonight, I'm heading to the Beta Bar aftrr party.

Well you likely met a gaffer if you played satellite reign, I was manning the booth all day
Oh, nice! I was mostly referring to AusGAFfers since I don't know too many others...

I did play through the entire demo level, early Saturday morning (I guess I was there just a couple of minutes after 10) and rather enjoyed. I didn't realised I'd finished the demo though until you or the other chap pointed it out to me! I kept trying to play (only taking down one of the base things of the 2 or 3 on that map), and then found a mucked up navmesh.

I was really let down with Sunset Overdrive. Didn't play it, but the flow seems kind of janky if you don't follow specific lines, and doesn't at all look to ever hit 30fps.
I played it. The demo level was, I think, terrible for showing off the game. It was a night level, and a 3-wave horde mode thing. There were barely any surfaces to use for traversal and almost all the other people playing co-op during the demo with me just stuck to the ground the entire time. I tried to muck about with the rail grinding and just found it didn't flow well at all in tandem with trying to shoot accurately. Probably a learned skill but I think the demo chosen was wrong.

MS has a better one.

XB1 Console Fifa 15 Bundle + 12mth Live Gold + choose 4 Games $479
I don't even really want an XBone and I was considering jumping on that. Glad it sold out so the choice was made for me!

Yeah that was posted the other day but sold out of Sunset Overdrive pretty quick.

that's what stopped me from jumping on that as soon as I saw it

Is the MS deal with physical or digital download titles? Not that I have the money, just curious.

The AC bundles were digital and i think everything else was physical

Since JB is doing something similar, I'm wondering if we'll see some deals at more retailers in the next week or so. I might have CoD to play tomorrow so I might be spoken for a bit anyway, but Destiny's made me want to replay Halo 1-4 again anyway so getting an X1 in the near future is all but assured.

wetwired

Oh, nice! I was mostly referring to AusGAFfers since I don't know too many others...

I did play through the entire demo level, early Saturday morning (I guess I was there just a couple of minutes after 10) and rather enjoyed. I didn't realised I'd finished the demo though until you or the other chap pointed it out to me! I kept trying to play (only taking down one of the base things of the 2 or 3 on that map), and then found a mucked up navmesh.

I don't even really want an XBone and I was considering jumping on that. Glad it sold out so the choice was made for me!
Yeah the navmesh bug keeps rearing it's ugly head. I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's a difficult game to demo in the format of an expo like pax. It's not really designed for the sort of instant satisfaction you need with all of the distractions and noise.

Shaneus

I played it. The demo level was, I think, terrible for showing off the game. It was a night level, and a 3-wave horde mode thing. There were barely any surfaces to use for traversal and almost all the other people playing co-op during the demo with me just stuck to the ground the entire time. I tried to muck about with the rail grinding and just found it didn't flow well at all in tandem with trying to shoot accurately. Probably a learned skill but I think the demo chosen was wrong.
I found a similar problem with their Horizon 2 setup. Rather than have a tightened-up demo all ready to go, it was the full retail version. Which meant that while I missed out on the initial driving introduction thingy (which the dude before me did) I had to yawn through at least 5 minutes of *unskippable* either cutscene or voiceover (that I couldn't hear anyway) wank. If that's what the game is like, I'm glad I have things like the no-bullshit Driveclub.

Gazunta

I bought android cactus today. So I hope for and others will play with me.

We pleased to meet a fellow gaffer on the booth today and I already had on radar but seeing it in action was awesome.

Also went to see ninja pizza girl in action. Already backed that one. Failed to find gaz there twice but somehow Street passed you about 30 minutes ago Lol.

Hahah my 3DS was inside the Ninja Pizza Girl booth, just racking up those delicious Street Passes :)

Sorry I missed you! But thanks for backing the game and you have chosen VERY wisely buying Cactus THAT GAME IS SO SO SO GOOD AAAAH

Back in Brisbane and uggggh this week is going to suuuuck you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom