• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see any of the cricket, but is this summary accurate?

And that's as dominant a win as South Africa could have hoped for. They were simply the better side today. Australia went too hard at the ball while batting, trying to mow everything over long-on or midwicket, their bowling was a little one-dimensional and quite often all over the place, and their fielding was ragged. South Africa, in comparison, bowled very good lengths, very full at the death, and restricted the boundaries. While batting, Rossouw and de Kock simply waited for the loose balls (of which there were plenty) and put them away coolly, with cricketing shots. A well-deserved win for them.

Edit: I thought this was a ODI for some reason. Nevermind. Just not good enough it seems.

Stackboy

Hey guys, for those experienced with the Dick
Smith Online Store
, what does "Awaiting Fulfillment" mean exactly? I ordered one of those PS4 Gold headsets and the order doesn't appear to be doing much. Am I boned?

It means it hasn't been picked out of a warehouse and dispatched yet.

It could mean they don't have stock.

It could mean they've forgotten about it.

All these problems with Dick Smith make me never want to buy online from them. I'll get shunned for this, but I buy from EB and just get them to pricematch the lowest price. Plus I think they have really decent customer service.

Figure I'll make a drive-by post to ask...

...when does the playstation store update with the new plus games. I got home from work all excited to play Binding of Isaac :(

I started all my PS+ downloads for this month this morning, if that helps. Started playing new Isaac on PC last night. So good!! Feels a bit easier, but at the same time I get the feeling the game has alot more depth.

Off to see Interstellar tonight!!

My headset has shipped this morning - it said 'low stock' when I ordered it so I guess I should be happy I got it at all.

I've given up on preordering games online, even if it costs an extra few dollars I drag myself to a retail store these days. I can't stand waiting for a parcel to arrive when a game is already out and I could just walk into a shop and buy it!

All these problems with Dick Smith make me never want to buy online from them. I'll get shunned for this, but I buy from EB and just get them to pricematch the lowest price. Plus I think they have really decent customer service.
I've only ever had good experiences with EB's online store (though I haven't used it for a few years). Dat markup tho.

Shaneus

My headset has shipped this morning - it said 'low stock' when I ordered it so I guess I should be happy I got it at all.

I've given up on preordering games online, even if it costs an extra few dollars I drag myself to a retail store these days. I can't stand waiting for a parcel to arrive when a game is already out and I could just walk into a shop and buy it!
Same. I've come to the conclusion recently that both preordering games is stupid (most of the time) and ordering online just to wait forever and save a few dollars is as well. Just find a decent price on launch and buy the steelbook only if it's extra, extra sexy:
gLYTbgYl.jpg

WsEzS3al.jpg

$59 preorders at Dick Smith, pickup only

AssCreed Unity
GTA5 HD
WWE15 (avoid until after launch, probably shit)
Far Cry 4
Dragon Age Inquisition

Also lol at this bundle which will only lead to, "Sims won't work in my Xbox Oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I want a refuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuund."

B1uK6LPCMAAZL6G.jpg

Same. I've come to the conclusion recently that both preordering games is stupid (most of the time) and ordering online just to wait forever and save a few dollars is as well. Just find a decent price on launch and buy the steelbook only if it's extra, extra sexy:
gLYTbgYl.jpg

WsEzS3al.jpg
Fuck that is nice looking.

I preorder for the cheap prices. Can't go wrong with $45 posted.

Big news. Outselling the Wii I guess?

Big news considering they priced the PS4 higher than the Xbox One with Kinect here.
Big news considering the Xbox One is consistently cheaper here and usually comes with more games.
Big news considering the lack of local support and marketing, especially compared to Microsoft spending shitloads advertising their games and console here.

Definitely the best first year console I've had. My backlog is already friggin huge and I've had a ton of fun with the thing.

If Sony could get their shit together and hit the next 12 months out of the park we could see a huge market for console games again. I don't see them doing it though.

Fredescu

Definitely the best first year console I've had.

This made me look up first year Wii games. Check this out:

Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Excite Truck (awesome game)
Super Paper Mario
Warioware: Smooth Mooves
Zack and Wiki
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Plenty more besides.

Yeah that first year of Wii was pretty great, shame it tailed off into nothing so damn fast.

What have been the highlights? Skimming Metacritic it seems like mostly PC games. I can't spot many system sellers.
Lots of the 3rd party games ran better on PS4 than X1 or WiiU, as well as what my current PC can do.
Destiny
Wolfenstein
Watch Dogs
Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition
Metro Redux (currently playing this an it's fantastic, dropped the original version of 2033 on PC due to constant crashes)
Shadow of Mordor

Then there are the actual exclusives which I've enjoyed a lot more than I expected
Infamous Second Son
Infamous First Light
Knack (best game experience with my son so far)
Driveclub (I'm sure it'll be even better once they add in the create-a-challenge mode lol)

I've still got Killzone & TLoU HD to dig into at some point.

Tons of digital download games which I've been getting cheap, or even better, free* through PS+.
Finally played Flower which was quite a touching experience.
PT was incredibly impressive too. Looks insane and the atmosphere is the best I've played in a horror game ever.
Resogun is really great to keep going back to, they did a fantastic job with it and all the post release support has been impressive.

The inclusion of PS+ certainly makes the first year a bit easier, with so many free* games to keep you occupied. Same with the F2P stuff.

Not sure if I'll be grabbing any of the November big hitters. GTA5 will take up all my time again I expect. The trio played well at PAX but I wasn't blown away enough to grab them day one, aside from mayyyyyyyyyyybe Far Cry 4.

PS4 launch price was $549
XBO launch price was $599

Shit thought it was $499 for the X1. Maybe I'm confusing it with the local markup, which was $150 for the PS4 while the X1 was only $100.

Fredescu

Yeah that first year of Wii was pretty great, shame it tailed off into nothing so damn fast.

Yep. What a weird system.

Tons of digital download games which I've been getting cheap, or even better, free* through PS+.

PS+ seems nice. I still have an active sub from when I thought I would keep the PS4 I pre ordered. Apart from that, assuming you can play all the PC games on PC, the PS4 seems to have the worst library of the three.

senahorse

Time to upgrade yer rig!

Damn straight, all this talk had me worried that even monster PCs will struggle with 'next gen' games, but that was all unfounded. I remember PC struggling more at the start of last gen more so, maybe my memory there is hazy though. Bestest platform is still bestest :D

Any of you guys playing The Evil Within? I thought that took a beefy rig to hit 1080/60 turned up.

Time to upgrade yer rig!
I know, I know. Probably grab a 970 early next year when they are on special. I upgraded 4 years ago so I'm holding out a little longer!

Assuming you can play all the PC games on PC, the PS4 seems to have the worst library of the three.

I would disagree entirely with that since it's subjective.

Fredescu

Damn straight, all this talk had me worried that even monster PCs will struggle with 'next gen' games, but that was all unfounded. I remember PC struggling more at the start of last gen more so, maybe my memory there is hazy though. Bestest platform is still bestest :D

In the first year or so until 8800 series came out, I think you're right. There were also a bunch of poorly optimised PC games coming out around that time, like NWN2. A "monster pc" is way more accessible now though, SLI had matured a lot, and things like Titan exist.

senahorse

In the first year or so until 8800 series came out, I think you're right. There were also a bunch of poorly optimised PC games coming out around that time, like NWN2. A "monster pc" is way more accessible now though, SLI had matured a lot, and things like Titan exist.

I remember having a 7800GTX and ending up playing Skyrim on 360 and then Gears came out and looked better than anything I had seen on PC, until they showed Crysis.

Any of you guys playing The Evil Within? I thought that took a beefy rig to hit 1080/60 turned up.

From what I have read it seems to be a bad port, what's the consoles running it at? 700P/30? (taking into account those hideous black bars I saw in a screenshot)

Speaking of bad ports, it seems Alien Isolation (btw great game, my equal first for goty with Divinity) runs better on PC at the same specs of the console counterparts, that has to be a first?

Seriously pissed off at UQ. They don't want to give me credit for exchange for literally no reason, which means I can't graduate this year and go into post grad beginning of next year >.> I'm so goddamn close to graduating, I don't want to wait until next july because the Arts department is dumb.

I never had problems with dick smith other than when they had that ridiculous $5 game sale and over sold on everything.

Yeah, it's great so far! And running surprisingly well on medium on my (admittedly behemoth of a) laptop.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it this way -

X360 / PS3 GPU was equivalent to 2005 high end PC hardware.
X360 / PS3 CPU was arguably superior to 2005 high end PC hardware.

XBO / PS4 GPU is a little bit inferior to 2010 high end PC hardware.
XBO / PS4 CPU is substantially inferior to 2010 high end PC hardware.

The XBO / PS4 came out in 2013.

Yeah I don't think we will see another $999 console again lol
(or what would that be these days, $1200?)

Seriously pissed off at UQ. They don't want to give me credit for exchange for literally no reason, which means I can't graduate this year and go into post grad beginning of next year >.> I'm so goddamn close to graduating, I don't want to wait until next july because the Arts department is dumb.

Wow that really sucks! :(

Friend of mine deferred his degree halfway through doing it so he could work for 3 years while caring for his sick dad, when he went to go back to uni a bunch of units had been discontinued and he lost a few credit points which seemed insane at the time.

From what I have read it seems to be a bad port, what's the consoles running it at? 700P/30? (taking into account those hideous black bars I saw in a screenshot)

Speaking of bad ports, it seems Alien Isolation (btw great game, my equal first for goty with Divinity) runs better on PC at the same specs of the console counterparts, that has to be a first?

I thought Evil Within was pretty decent? Everything seems to indicate that my now 2 year old PC (670 2gb, 8gb Ram, i5) can run the game substantially better than on PS4. I guess I'll find out for myself when I pick it up for $10 in 3 months time. Bless you PC prices.

PS4 Australian sales are impressive. I hadn't heard much so I was thinking XB1 vs PS4 might be closer here than most places? Not so convinced now. Really, being able to pick up a PS4 for $400 only a few months after launch was pretty bonkers. Almost as bonkers as a Wii U for $175 when it had been out for under a year.

If you told me 2 years ago that both of my next gen console purchases would be from Dick Smith I would have laughed you out of the room.

If you told me 2 years ago that both of my next gen console purchases would be from Dick Smith I would have laughed you out of the room.

Yeah they have been insanely competitive since being sold off. Great job turning that ship around.

GAME in the UK are doing really well too apparently. Good to see competition stick around here for JB/EB in the form of DSE in any case.

senahorse

Gf just had her yearly review and got moved into a senior developer role, apparently the fastest ever in the company (a large one at that), so happy for her :D

Wow that really sucks! :(

Friend of mine deferred his degree halfway through doing it so he could work for 3 years while caring for his sick dad, when he went to go back to uni a bunch of units had been discontinued and he lost a few credit points which seemed insane at the time.

Ack, that's the worst :( I hope it didn't discourage him from graduating.

Hopefully I can appeal. The decision seems to have pissed off the Japanese department and the exchange department so I'm hoping they'll be able to help add pressure.

Gf just had her yearly review and got moved into a senior developer role, apparently the fastest ever in the company (a large one at that), so happy for her :D

Congrats :D I hope you can do something fun to celebrate!

Some people have had Amazon retroactively apply the new Nvidia promotion to their GTX900 series purchases.

I sent an E-mail to see if they would in my case, now they want to call me on the phone.

Not sure if any free game is worth the effort of talking to outsourced customer support.

senahorse

Ack, that's the worst :( I hope it didn't discourage him from graduating.

Hopefully I can appeal. The decision seems to have pissed off the Japanese department and the exchange department so I'm hoping they'll be able to help add pressure.

Congrats :D I hope you can do something fun to celebrate!

Yeah me too :D

Some people have had Amazon retroactively apply the new Nvidia promotion to their GTX900 series purchases.

I sent an E-mail to see if they would in my case, now they want to call me on the phone.

Not sure if any free game is worth the effort of talking to outsourced customer support.
The one phone call I had with Amazon support was fantastic, really polite and went over the top to help me out. Fingers crossed it's the same for you!

The one phone call I had with Amazon support was fantastic, really polite and went over the top to help me out. Fingers crossed it's the same for you!

Apparently one person's helper concocted an elaborate scheme by which they extended the refund period for the first item, purchase a second item, then had him return the second item pretending it was the first so Amazon didn't lose any money, but still keep the code that came along with it.

:lol

Apparently one person's helper concocted an elaborate scheme by which they extended the refund period for the first item, purchase a second item, then had him return the second item pretending it was the first so Amazon didn't lose any money, but still keep the code that came along with it.

:lol
That seems like a ton of effort for minimal gain. Stupid human race! Get a real job!

Deeku

Does anyone here rock a US WiiU? Like, do you only have to change the power chord and you're good to go?

Whoa wtf, why did they even let you go in the first place then? It's not like you even went that long either:/

I just wanted to thank everyone who chipped in with suggestions on where to get cheap Blu-rays (common wisdom was JB for their X movies for $X specials, and Amazon UK). I found that Sanity (yes, they're still around apparently!) also had some great X movies for $X specials (even better than JB).

The 3 new release Blu-rays I was after actually turned out to be about the same price locally as they were off Amazon UK but without the shipping hassles. I got Edge of Tomorrow for $25 from Target, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug from JB for $30 and $20 respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom