• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
The LG G3 is 5.5", might be that you're thinking of?
Quite possibly. There's way too many coming out at the same time and I just want every to tell me the best one that's cheap, dammit, since I want a new one yesterday!

It's going to be difficult to beat the Moto Maxx specs, if that comes out around the same $700-850 mark. It's looking pretty good.

Now that I think about it, 6pm start time for a 3 hour long movie is terrible. Means you have to have dinner at 5pm to make it there in time and no way in hell could I stay interested in a movie if I had to go hungry until after 9pm.

Show the damn movie when I want to see it damn it >_<

Crap, you're right, 169 minutes, ouch. Also, gold class, have dinner during the movie.

I did a 2:30 Gold Class showing of Interstellar yesterday. i'd already had lunch so I just ordered a drink. But my cunt of a brother ordered fries. Fucking willpower!

Fredescu

Quite possibly. There's way too many coming out at the same time and I just want every to tell me the best one that's cheap, dammit, since I want a new one yesterday!

They're all good, they just excel in different ways, so it depends what you want.

If you want cheap, OnePlus One seems good.

I like the Z3 because it's waterproof and has a good camera, but apparently the reception isn't so good. It didn't get the Telstra blue tick unlike the Z2 and Z3 Compact. It does support the new 700Mhz spectrum thingo though.

I like the M8 too, I much prefer it's size at 5", but apparently the camera isn't great in bright situations.

They're all good, they just excel in different ways, so it depends what you want.
Yup, just figuring that out is the tough part!

Hope the Project Ara stuff hurries up. All you have to do then is decide on the size of the phone you want and buy whichever modules suit you best.

senahorse

I want android L, Gotta wait ~90 days for my HTC to get the update.

Boourns.

Have to wait 3 months from release for cyanogenmod to release :(

That would be perfect lol. Will make do with samich before hand and overpriced, delicious popped corn during.

Tonight it's all about the dessert tasting platter, I feel sick reading it:

dessert tasting platter....38
mini gold class signature sundae
hot chocolate fudge brownie
belgian waffle with warm caramel fudge
spanish churros, cinnamon sugar,
chocolate fondue

Jaxter09

Went into JB Hifi and they had the Sopranos Blu Ray set for $125, cheapest place that I've seen it anywhere. Time to watch for the first time

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished my 10-day placement at a school today. Did well on the report but so much room for improvement. Teaching is crazy with this damn learning curve.. I'm scared I'm not even going be get all the basics done for the 65-days left of placement that I have!

Students made me a "thank you" card! so sweet.

Oh and Bayonetta 2 is awesome and I got good marks for all my subjects.

Shaneus

You guys see this? Just Cause 3 will be either freemium or pay-to-win.

Remember Just Cause 2? Yeah, stick with that by the looks of things:
fzpapb.jpg

Kirby102

Finished my 10-day placement at a school today. Did well on the report but so much room for improvement. Teaching is crazy with this damn learning curve.. I'm scared I'm not even going be get all the basics done for the 65-days left of placement that I have!

hey i don't know who you are and you don't know who i am but it sounds like you're endeavouring to become a teacher and that you really care about the education children are receiving and care about becoming a better teacher and all that stuff?

You're doing amazing work sir, keep it up!~ If it's okay, I'd love to see the card that the kids made for you! That's such a sweet gesture!

Jintor

haha i guess i just wrapped week 10 of teaching japanese kids who don't understand me

hahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahah save me ;__;

Kritz

Banned
can't we teach children real things like the three laws of robotics and which STALKER game is best

you know, important life lessons

Dungeon Crawl are doing 20% off their eBay store games tomorrow

Went into JB Hifi and they had the Sopranos Blu Ray set for $125, cheapest place that I've seen it anywhere. Time to watch for the first time
Damn that's a great price.

Good to see a future teacher who gives a shit! Keep that enthusiasm for the profession please, not keen on my kid spending his childhood at a glorified day care.

haha i guess i just wrapped week 10 of teaching japanese kids who don't understand me

hahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahah save me ;__;

haha, at least they'll like those colouring in things you drew!

Are you eating lots of delicious foods?

Nice :D You have one year left until you can be a real graduated teacher right? What learning curve do you mean?

I think STALKER: Metro 2033 is the best one.

They are insanely different games though.

STALKER is a rusty playground while Metro is a haunted house. Both have their merits.

I prefer Metro cause I'm a lazy gamer who doesn't have the time for ambient events, just gimme a linear series of fun plz

Interstellar was indeed good, I would even go so far as to say 'great'.

Spoilers
It was quite fantastic at times but wasn't on the mark for the whole movie.

Themes!
Tons of them. Started out with a 'world going to shit due to overpopulation and degradation of our natural resources' thing that was handled really lightly and was mostly unimportant. I totally expected more heavy handed, "Those stupid people should have put more money into the future!" stuff.
Loneliness was a driving factor for most of the players in the movie, linked strongly with the other 2 big themes which were the fear/dealing with your mortality and the love of a parent. The human elements drove the movie mostly, the word "love" was mentioned quite a lot.
As a parent the arc for the main character was basically surrounding the most primal and powerful emotion we have, protecting our offspring. Coop coming to terms with losing that battle and then recapturing it served as a good, happy ending style of thing.
I thought the composure shattered idea of dying was handled quite well, even if the betrayal section of the movie was the worst. They did a great job setting up the 'hero' character and then pulling the swerve without telegraphing it too much. Again, it's a very real human thing so it was logical and plausible.

Visuals!
The comparisons to 2001 make sense now. Really breathtaking at times with a great sense of purpose. The lighting was great too, the stark beauty of space versus the dark, dank remnant of our planet. The scenes early on at Coops house looked fantastic, didn't miss a beat with the new cinematographer. No complaints here.

Sound!
Lacked punch at times in the sound effects. The score was great as always, Zimmer evidently gave a shit on this movie. Amped up a few scenes really well, with some perfectly timed hard cuts to the score. Wasn't spot on though, didn't elevate some of the stronger scenes as much as they could have. That might just be the bias of my current music ingestion harming my thoughts on it though.

Acting!
Great all round. No complaints. Insane lineup of talent, though it didn't pull me out of the movie thankfully. Topher Grace and Anne Hathaway were in just the right spot, usually they piss me off with their acts but I found them to be powerful yet subdued. Totally forgot Michael "Chris Nolans Best Friend" Caine was in this movie and started to think Evil Cliffhanger Dude took his role brilliantly but then LOLCAINE showed up and did his usual thing with a twist. Again, great. No shitty death in a truck cab scene here.

Writing!
Weird. Really weird. Not in topic but in market. Everything was plausible and they explained just enough to avoid boring the dudebro market but I felt they were trying to cover too many bases at once and as such it didn't have as much depth as they wanted it to. That said I loved it and enjoyed the direction they were hinting with most of the script. Only time I had a "this is what will happen" hook was when they started talking about black holes and I felt that he would be the ghost and save us all, hate when my brain interjects like that so it's nice it only happened once.
Only part of the movie that dragged for me was the long delivery of the BETRAYALTON by Matty boy. They handled a lot of it well though, the instantaneous joy of seeing another human being once taken out of cryofreeze established that the experience had damaged him in certain ways (although token black dude didn't get much of a chance to exhibit that stuff :/ ). Kinda wish they did the betrayal in a quicker fashion. Not sure, just didn't sit right with me and I'm looking forward to rewatching that section.
The wormhole was setup and delivered fine. That one drawing was enough to make it plausible Coop would be happy to fly in there so the audience was happy. The blackhole stuff though? Pure off the handle shit. Not sure how they could have sold that though, hard to ground the idea of a 5th dimension and WAY harder to show and experience of it. Once Coop came out into the future I felt much more welcoming towards the movie.

Moral!
Our humanity is our greatest strength and our greatest weakness. The ability to overpower the natural urge of self-preservation will determine the end point of our species, because we are awesome as fuck.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Nice :D You have one year left until you can be a real graduated teacher right? What learning curve do you mean?
Nope - two years left for me.

Also the learning curve from getting the fundamentals of teaching right - classroom management, questioning/building the rapport with students during discussions, engaging students, adjusting your communication for the age level of students, it all feels like it has a long learning curve esp when you feel like you constantly gotta make mistakes in those areas on your teaching rounds before you start getting them right!

Quasar

Nope - two years left for me.

Also the learning curve from getting the fundamentals of teaching right - classroom management, questioning/building the rapport with students during discussions, engaging students, adjusting your communication for the age level of students, it all feels like it has a long learning curve esp when you feel like you constantly gotta make mistakes in those areas on your teaching rounds before you start getting them right!

High school? or younger? Whilst I did entertain the idea there's no way in hell I could deal with the monsters that are high school students. now middle/elementary/primary school that I could deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom