• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tossing up between that, the Xperia Z3 and the Nexus 6. Probably going to go for the Nexus 6 with the Xperia Z3 a close second. I believe X3n0s has the Oneplus One and Fredescu has decided on the Z3 but don't think he has it yet.

I want a 1+ 1 but it's expensive and big.

Kinda want a Z3 Compact but it's expensive.

I was going to grab a Nexus 4 as it's the perfect size and was super cheap recently but I got talked out of it because it has shitty battery apparently.

>.>

Any Ausgaffers looking at the oneplusone phone?

I'm tossing up between that, the Xperia Z3 and the Nexus 6. Probably going to go for the Nexus 6 with the Xperia Z3 a close second. I believe X3n0s has the Oneplus One and Fredescu has decided on the Z3 but don't think he has it yet.

I want a 1+ 1 but it's expensive and big.

Kinda want a Z3 Compact but it's expensive.

I was going to grab a Nexus 4 as it's the perfect size and was super cheap recently but I got talked out of it because it has shitty battery apparently.

>.>

Just wait for this.

http://www.motorola.com/us/droid-turbo-pdp.html

Memory (RAM)
3 GB (LPDDR3 with 64-bit access)
b5oeSRY.gif

That's insane. Looks great but a bit oversized for my liking. I'll keep an eye out for price though!

Fredescu

7Fredescu has decided on the Z3 but don't think he has it yet.

I would if Telstra didn't cut my address in half when they sent it to the courier. Star Track have had my phone for a week, but it takes 3-5 working days for address changes! Yay!

I think the Nexus 6 is too big for me. I think the Z3 is almost too big for me too. If the Z4 really is 5.5" per the rumours I hope they bump the Z4 compact up to around 5" and increase the res to 1080p. That would be the phone I keep for a while I think.

That's insane.

Z3 has 3GB RAM too. I don't know why.

Oh nice, I didn't realise it was already released. Any Australian announcement on release date and price?

Ubisoft possibly removing its upcoming games from steam ww.
Already happened.

1UJOEXt.png

hKeGoVk.png

Interestingly, the suggestions that pop up when you enter search terms have the games listed. Games just redirect to Steam main page now (Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4)

senahorse

I have the 1+1 and a Z3 Compact. I much prefer the 1+1 due to the screen size, I thought it would be too big to use as a phone, one handed etc, but it hasn't been an issue. I really appreciate the extra screen real estate from the 1+1. The Z3 Compact has been a great phone in its own right as well, albeit in a much smaller form factor (with many of the same internals of the 1+1). The build quality of the Z3 is outstanding, the screen beautiful and interface (as expected) is extremely zippy, but the best feature about the Z3, as it's a work phone, is the battery. I last charged this on Tuesday morning, this morning (3 days later) it's sitting on 79%, this thing will last longer than a week with light to moderate usage, the 1+1 I get about 3.5 days on a charge with moderate usage, the price you pay for a 5.5" screen (that said, 3.5 days is still pretty damn good, my 920 was lucky to last longer than a day).

Kritz

Banned
Shouldn't you be set for life from that burger ad revenue by now and not need higher learning.

I haven't earned enough to bribe my way through final year just yet

at least tomorrow's exam is gonna be easy - it's been the same exam for three years in a row and they let you take in notes.

the exam at 1pm today, however... :(

Z3 has 3GB RAM too. I don't know why.
It's damn impressive. Still rocking my Galaxy S2 with 1GB and haven't run into any issues.

I have the 1+1 and a Z3 Compact. I much prefer the 1+1 due to the screen size, I thought it would be too big to use as a phone, one handed etc, but it hasn't been an issue. I really appreciate the extra screen real estate from the 1+1. The Z3 Compact has been a great phone in its own right as well, albeit in a much smaller form factor (with many of the same internals of the 1+1). The build quality of the Z3 is outstanding, the screen beautiful and interface (as expected) is extremely zippy, but the best feature about the Z3, as it's a work phone, is the battery. I last charged this on Tuesday morning, this morning (3 days later) it's sitting on 79%, this thing will last longer than a week with light to moderate usage, the 1+1 I get about 3.5 days on a charge with moderate usage, the price you pay for a 5.5" screen (that said, 3.5 days is still pretty damn good, my 920 was lucky to last longer than a day).

Thanks for the info! My S2 is on struggle street these days, not built for the updated firmware I expect. Runs out within a few hours if I allow sync notifications for Gmail/Twitter.

On that note the 1+ 1 64GB version is $428 posted on eBay deals right now! If I had the cash I would probably bite.

University implemented new password security system thing. We all had to reset our passwords and sign up for this thing with all these security questions and such. Now today, like a couple weeks later, they said "oh whoops you weren't supposed to reset it then, it was only supposed to go out to some people. You have to reset it again now, or we'll lock you out of all systems."

So I go in to reset my password, except instead of putting in my current pwd (which I know), it asks me to answer 3 security questions. But I can't remember the precise capitalisations I used in some of the answers, and it's not telling me which of the 3 questions I'm getting wrong. And it's case, space etc sensitive because it's treating them as though they're just 3 other passwords.

It didn't let me put in custom security questions either which would have prevented most of this. I guess this is just teaching me the important security lessons, like "you should write down the answers to all security questions on a piece of paper to put in my desk".

Kritz

Banned
University implemented new password security system thing. We all had to reset our passwords and sign up for this thing with all these security questions and such. Now today, like a couple weeks later, they said "oh whoops you weren't supposed to reset it then, it was only supposed to go out to some people. You have to reset it again now, or we'll lock you out of all systems."

So I go in to reset my password, except instead of putting in my current pwd (which I know), it asks me to answer 3 security questions. But I can't remember the precise capitalisations I used in some of the answers, and it's not telling me which of the 3 questions I'm getting wrong. And it's case, space etc sensitive because it's treating them as though they're just 3 other passwords.

It didn't let me put in custom security questions either which would have prevented most of this. I guess this is just teaching me the important security lessons, like "you should write down the answers to all security questions on a piece of paper to put in my desk".

Haven't you heard? - two factor authentication is where you test one factor twice!

That's why I have two locks on my door! There's no way an intruder can have my key AND my second key!

Haven't you heard? - two factor authentication is where you test one factor twice!

That's why I have two locks on my door! There's no way an intruder can have my key AND my second key!

UTAS staff now use four factor authentication! The greatest, most impregnable security ever.

jambo

I remember reading an article about 5 years ago where a computer security expert recalled being tasked by a govt agency to create the most secure system his company could.

When he did so, they didn't want it, as it was too annoying having to constantly verify and login over and over.

You need to find that balance.

Kritz

Banned
I remember reading an article about 5 years ago where a computer security expert recalled being tasked by a govt agency to create the most secure system his company could.

When he did so, they didn't want it, as it was too annoying having to constantly verify and login over and over.

You need to find that balance.

Just have a gps tracker installed on every employee, a USB token dongle, a 20 character alphanumeric password, a full body scanner at each terminal and a stool sample verified in the last 24 hour period. Checkmate, security.
The Skeleton Twins

Fusebox

Banned
Hey Aussietendo fans, are there any deals for the new 3DS coming up? I want a white one and I want Bravely Default and Fantasy Life and Persona Q. Any bundles out there?

senahorse

Gotta find a way to collect that GST somehow. I guess.

Not to mention it's horribly expensive. I just sent off a package from shipito this morning, it was 6 packages consolidated into 1, express delivery (will be here Wed/Thurs) next week for ~$80 AU. With AusPosts's solution I worked out that would be closer to $200.

radaxian

Another in the line of Xbone bundles: http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/xbox-one-console-kinect-assassins-creed-unity-bundle/

$598 for Xbone with Kinect, CoD:AW, AC:Unity, AC: Black Flag, Dance Central Spotlight.

Seems an odd mix, but might appeal to someone.

JB Hifi has a bundle for the same price ($599) but it includes Sunset Overdrive & Forza Horizon 2 as well:

• Xbox One with Kinect
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
  • Assassin's Creed Unity
  • Forza Horizon 2
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
  • Dance Central Spotlight

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/features/games/Bundles/xbox-one-hot-offer-5/

It says online only but I saw it in store also. So nearly got it yesterday, might still bite...

JB Hifi has a bundle for the same price ($599) but it includes Sunset Overdrive & Forza Horizon 2 as well:

• Xbox One with Kinect
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
  • Assassin's Creed Unity
  • Forza Horizon 2
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
  • Dance Central Spotlight

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/features/games/Bundles/xbox-one-hot-offer-5/

It says online only but I saw it in store also. So nearly got it yesterday, might still bite...

Yup, 4 brand new release games with the console and Kinect is an insanely good deal.

MS going in hard, especially when it used to be that price just for the console and Kinect a year ago!!!

That's insane. Looks great but a bit oversized for my liking. I'll keep an eye out for price though!

It's 5.2" so still smaller than the 1+1 and N6.

Oh nice, I didn't realise it was already released. Any Australian announcement on release date and price?[/URL])

International version is the Moto Maxx announced a few days ago, going on sale in Brazil in a couple of days and should be available in other countries in a couple of weeks.

US Verizon pricing is $600 and $650 for 32gb and 64gb respectively.

Whoops, looks like Nexus 6 is a no-buy for many given the AU pricing :(

I paid $500 for Gnex at launch, how did you pay $710?
I'm not sure, honestly. I thought I paid a lot less than that, but I have the receipt!

$870 is pretty steep, might wait a couple of days to compare the price of the Maxx and Z3. I think though, that if the Maxx is $650, it'll probably be comparable to the Nexus 6.

5.2 is okay maybe, would be right on the edge of too big. Would prefer 5 at most.

Interstellar gold class tonight, and there is an updated menu, I am excited :D

Our cinema isn't running a 6pm session tonight for some fucking stupid reason. No way in hell I'm going to see a 3 hour movie at 9pm at my age >_<

Does the US price include sales tax? I do agree it's a big difference in price, and IMO should be closer to $750 for the cheaper one, but it's not miles out for similar phones (like the Z3. Edit: And the Z3 is only 16GB storage for a similar price).

Fredescu

I don't think Z3 is similar, it's a baby compared to the Nexus 6. Note 4 is more similar, and more expensive, and even that is smaller than the N6.

Gazunta

BrisSupanovaGAF: Grab me at the end of the last day and point me towards the meetup location! I will try and crawl over to it :)

So what's everyone's plans for the weekend besides comparing Android phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom