• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noob iMac question. Can you hook up extra monitors to it easily? I have a bunch of monitors I don't use much, so figure 2 21" inch monitors would be a better way to go instead of 1 27" inch one. Just can't find much info on the apple site about that techy stuff.

yep, there are two mini-dispay outs, add an adapter- like this one I got from Radio Shack.

also the 27" is pretty glorious and I still have a second monitor connected.

I bought a second-hand Kogan 46" LED for $200 the other day for the bedroom and the damn thing gives my $2k Panasonic plasma a run for its money. Can't believe how cheap good TVs are these days.

Also Resident Evil Revelations 3DS for $3.99

https://www.beatthebomb.com.au/games/3ds/resident_evil_revelations

Just ordered a copy, haven't played it before.

Is there a shipping cost on that Beat the Bomb site? I might grab that game because I have zero games on my 3DS.

Have any of you anime watching people seen Barakamon? I just started watching it and it reminds me a lot of Usagi drop. I think I have a new favourite genre: Young-professional-man-befriends-young-child-in-heartwarming-slice-of-life-animated-story.

102284-617c5e38-6928-11e4-a2ee-db0b93f02857.jpg

That's an incredible photo.

Maaaaan, what a time to live in Brisbane!!

Pretty excited to have Friday off actually.

lol, I'm stuck at home studying all this week :p Not sure what the fuss is all about.

Obama is gonna speak at UQ after all!
http://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2014/11/uq-welcome-president-barack-obama

Too bad it's already full...

Deeku

Have any of you anime watching people seen Barakamon? I just started watching it and it reminds me a lot of Usagi drop. I think I have a new favourite genre: Young-professional-man-befriends-young-child-in-heartwarming-slice-of-life-animated-story.
Ooooh:eek: Will check this out, Usagi Drop was so great!

Quasar

Yeah. It was close of my #1 of that season.

Even if its a cliched 'magical country people teach a city person how to live' story.

I think so. I had time to fight multiple wars in EUIV and watch the Halo 2 making of that comes on the Halo Channel. I guess ~50 mins for install, then patch on top of that? Just an estimate though. The patch is like 15gb so that could be a wile on a slow connection.

I played the first level of CE: Anniversary but I'm not sure if the patch actually finished or if I booted without it.

I tried to open a treasure chest, but was told I needed the Assassin’s Creed companion app to open it, with no additional information or context.

I tried to open another treasure chest, and was told I needed to sign up for Assassin’s Creed Initiates to open it.

When I paused the game, the second option in the pause menu is an eStore that lets you spend real money on time-saving boosts, bonus in-game currency, and so-on.

This is a $60 video game set in revolutionary Paris that continually spams you to sign up for Ubisoft services via locked-away in-game content.

Mannnnnnnnnnnn AC Unity is fucked. Scores are still high due to lolAAA publisher but it's definitely a bargain bin pickup for me now.

The DF article reads like they needed another 3 months to optimise and break out all the bugs. Framerate hits low 20's on PS4, which runs worse than the X1 oddly enough lol

The devs blamed AI apparently. The constant pop in of textures, people, shadows and lighting is terrible.

Only hope is to brute force it on PC I expect! Although TotalBiscuit had issues even doing that with a monster rig before updated drivers hit.

At least the bullshit of post-release reviews for this shitty game has led to some changes in games media. Take note GG! This is about ethics in games media.

I think so. I had time to fight multiple wars in EUIV and watch the Halo 2 making of that comes on the Halo Channel. I guess ~50 mins for install, then patch on top of that? Just an estimate though. The patch is like 15gb so that could be a wile on a slow connection.

I played the first level of CE: Anniversary but I'm not sure if the patch actually finished or if I booted without it.

50 minutes to install seems off, no way it should take that long to drop the content from the blu ray into the HDD.

Do you have a USB HDD rather than an internal? Maybe that's why it's so insanely slow.

jambo

I had a fun time with the Halo MCC install.

Put the disc in and it started installing. When it reached around 25% it was ready to play, so I launched it. From there it said there was a patch available so I started that.

It sat at "Installing..." for about 10-15 minutes before moving to 1% and sitting on that for a further 10 minutes.

I did a quick google and yanked out ethernet and deleted the wifi settings, then deleted my install and put the disc in. It got to 100% in about 30-40 minutes and then I plugged the ethernet back in and launched.

Unfortunately this meant that the patch popped up so I had to install it (not sure if you can bypass this, probably by not plugging back in before starting up the game).

When the patch got to 25% the game was available again, but only Halo 4, then Halo 1, then Halo 2, then Halo 3. I wanted to play Halo 2 so I just did some other stuff until it was done and then played the first few levels.

I haven't played in so long so I got my ass handed to me on Heroic. Also the CGI stuff is amazing and the game itself looks and plays great.

I tried watching some of the Halo 2 doco, but some of it was so full of shit so I stopped.

Have Digital Foundry done an investigation into why it takes so damn long to install MCC? Seems like a story behind it.

When the patch got to 25% the game was available again, but only Halo 4, then Halo 1, then Halo 2, then Halo 3. I wanted to play Halo 2 so I just did some other stuff until it was done and then played the first few levels.

I imagine 343 did this as punishment to everyone who said Halo 4 sucked donkey balls compared to the classics.

hamchan

Gosh Assassins Creed this year looks like the worst one yet. Last one I pre-order then. The series was on the up after Black Flag too, a shame.

Fredescu

Mexican origin store.

Hola unblocker. Switch region back to Australia in final checkout or w/e.

How much is it there? Ozgameshop have it for $55 which seems ok. Do you save much over that?

It's not torture. Words have definitions. Stop trying to fuck them up to suit political agendas.

These were the words: "as it is not conduct that is committed by or at the instigation of, or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity.”

It's easy to argue that the government isn't doing enough about it and therefore through their "acquiescence".

Shaneus

So Telstra has ditched their awesome prepaid cap thing where you could get shitloads of data for a decent price. Now you kinda can, but you can't use your credit, you actually have to pay for the extra data. Oh, and you only get 15 days to use it.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/freedom-vs-cap-encore/index.htm

Suck it, late adopters.

Mannnnnnnnnnnn AC Unity is fucked. Scores are still high due to lolAAA publisher but it's definitely a bargain bin pickup for me now.

The DF article reads like they needed another 3 months to optimise and break out all the bugs. Framerate hits low 20's on PS4, which runs worse than the X1 oddly enough lol

The devs blamed AI apparently. The constant pop in of textures, people, shadows and lighting is terrible.

Only hope is to brute force it on PC I expect! Although TotalBiscuit had issues even doing that with a monster rig before updated drivers hit.

At least the bullshit of post-release reviews for this shitty game has led to some changes in games media. Take note GG! This is about ethics in games media.
So from the last few posts, what I've read is that this gen is fucked. Hours and hours to download/install a disc-based game like Hoyle's Book of Halos, IAP-riddled Assassin's Creed (can't believe it's getting good reviews. That Driveclub was getting shit ones for less speaks volumes about "journalists") and yeah, Driveclub server issues STILL going.

The latter I'm willing to forgive because Driveclub, but I'm still including it in the "this gen/AAA games are FUCKED".

The game looks great. Only strategy RPG I ever got into was front mission 3, dunno how I'd go with anything else
It really does. I've honestly only ever heard about it in the context of Sega fans (excluding me) in a massive circle-jerk, but that OT makes it sound quite good.

Speaking of old FPS games, here is a comic about Half-Life I just uploaded TO THE INTERNET:
Awesome work Gaz!

Oh yeah, not sure if this has been posted but boy does Abbott know how to keep digging that hole: http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-an...ainst-woman-isnt-torture-20141111-11kckm.html
No one cares. He can say whatever he wants and it won't make a lick of difference.

Gosh Assassins Creed this year looks like the worst one yet. Last one I pre-order then. The series was on the up after Black Flag too, a shame.
Yeah damn shame, Black Flag hit upon just the right amount of new/improved to make the formula work.

So from the last few posts, what I've read is that this gen is fucked. Hours and hours to download/install a disc-based game like Hoyle's Book of Halos, IAP-riddled Assassin's Creed (can't believe it's getting good reviews. That Driveclub was getting shit ones for less speaks volumes about "journalists") and yeah, Driveclub server issues STILL going.

The latter I'm willing to forgive because Driveclub, but I'm still including it in the "this gen/AAA games are FUCKED".

It really does. I've honestly only ever heard about it in the context of Sega fans (excluding me) in a massive circle-jerk, but that OT makes it sound quite good.

Less that this gen is fucked and more a run of poorly optimised games that refused to take a delay. These are the exception not the rule thankfully.

VC was one of the first amazing PS3 exclusives so it got a lot of love. Really great game, did they clean up the art for the PC release? It has aged quite well though.

Driveclub servers working most of the time for challenges in single player for me. Haven't tried multiplayer but I drive like I'm playing Motorstorm so I don't think that will work online. Also the little looping race on the Mexican radio telescope map is the greatest.

IAP-riddled Assassin's Creed (can't believe it's getting good reviews)
It's not getting good reviews.

VC was one of the first amazing PS3 exclusives so it got a lot of love. Really great game, did they clean up the art for the PC release? It has aged quite well though.
Apparently it scales really well:

However, a more in-depth study of the game’s rendering process reveal that everything scales with resolution (which makes sense)—e.g. shadow maps are rendered at 1280x1280 if you play at 1280p, while they use a full 4480x4480 with the resolution I play at.

I'd never paid it much mind since it was on a platform I had no interest in, but I had heard great things about it. Definitely seems like a game I'd enjoy, so will pick it up a little down the road when I have less to play.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Forget about heading in to Brisbane to see the commotion... but do head to Brisbane on November 29th for a BrisGAF meetup!

Oh awesome, totally in. Be nice to put names to faces.

Not necessarily the case. The ones ruining the perception of AAA titles are those that should have been delayed because they clearly have problems. Obviously not everything can be found before a release, but especially in Unity's case more time was definitely needed in the oven.

No one cares. He can say whatever he wants and it won't make a lick of difference..
And this is what saddens me. Though I guess we can nail it down to an everyday occurrence with this government and people becoming use to the idea that our PM throws poop at the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom