• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Less that this gen is fucked and more a run of poorly optimised games that refused to take a delay. These are the exception not the rule thankfully.
Still a horrible run. You'd think the 12mo anniversary of both consoles would celebrate slightly better games than what we've been given.

VC was one of the first amazing PS3 exclusives so it got a lot of love. Really great game, did they clean up the art for the PC release? It has aged quite well though.
By that do you mean cutscenes? No, they're 720P. I think everything else has been improved, though. Durante's just happy he can run it at 50000x30000 resolution and 1000000fps.

It's not getting good reviews.
I thought someone said it did :/

Not necessarily the case. The ones ruining the perception of AAA titles are those that should have been delayed because they clearly have problems. Obviously not everything can be found before a release, but especially in Unity's case more time was definitely needed in the oven.
In some cases it is, though. Halo needing a 25GB day one patch is ludicrous. Needing a god-knows-how-long install period is a load of shit. Dev time could fix bugs (and I guess include that 25GB on-disc) but not the HDD loading. It's a dodgy, dodgy practise.

I'm only willing to give Driveclub a bit of a pass because the disc the game shipped on doesn't require a stupidly big install, massive patch or is riddled with bugs or bad performance. It could be better, but it's by no means flawed.

Fredescu

I thought someone said it did :/

Metacritic is 81, vs 83 for Black Flag. Yeah it got a few 5s and 6s but there seem to be plenty of 8s and 9s to make up for it.

Actually the 81 is for PS4, vs 76 for the Xbone which has a tonne more reviews. God, fuck Metacritic.

Stackboy

So many cops and choppers around.

Yeah I'm just going to stay at home, play my new games and set my house up more.

I had a fun time with the Halo MCC install.

I couldn't get into MP at all last night, hopefully its fixed when I get home today.

David Lynch exhibition in Brisbane, including the man himself? Sign me the fuck up!

http://blog.qag.qld.gov.au/david-lynch-exclusive-for-goma/

!!! This is nuts!! I'm so in.

81/100 sounds good to me
I don't use Metacritic as a gauge because I don't believe the way games are reviewed with numbers* makes any sense at all. The reviews I've actually read do not paint the game in a positive light.

Actually the 81 is for PS4, vs 76 for the Xbone which has a tonne more reviews. God, fuck Metacritic.
Indeed. And they use a ton of sites I've never even heard of, so why would I trust them to be some sort of authority?

I much prefer the Rotten Tomatoes method (% of favourable reviews, no matter the score, versus unfavourable ones comes up with the overall rating. It's just like asking a room full of people to put their hands up if they liked something. It's not objective, it's just the consensus of a bunch of people).

Shaneus

huYDJC2.jpg

lols

jambo

I couldn't get into MP at all last night, hopefully its fixed when I get home today.

MM is still fucked afaik.

Hit me up for co-op though, love me some mp Halo.

I don't use Metacritic as a gauge because I don't believe the way games are reviewed with numbers* makes any sense at all. The reviews I've actually read do not paint the game in a positive light.

Yeah I know, I was poking fun at the system.

I think Kotaku's "NO" is quite fitting.

Yeah I know, I was poking fun at the system.

I think Kotaku's "NO" is quite fitting.
Ahh, went right over my head.

Yeah, I'm a big Assassin's Creed nerd, and so is Totilo. If he doesn't think the game's any good (and he enjoyed 3!), then I think I'll just wait until it's at some deep discount to dive in.

The Giant

Banned
It has started. I just pre ordered 4 Amiibos for $71.95. Link, Villager, Little Mac and Captain Flacon.

In feb, I will get Shulk, Mega Man and Ike.

Stackboy

It has started. I just pre ordered 4 Amiibos for $71.95. Link, Villager, Little Mac and Captain Flacon.

In feb, I will get Shulk, Mega Man and Ike.

I was interested, until I found out you couldn't play a character, build up their stats and then store the save on the Amiibo, take it to your friends place and throwdown. It's like there's no interaction with it whatsoever.

I still really want a WiiU though

Gazunta

Agreed.

Last Gen = Crackdown
This Gen = NO CRACKDOWN

CRACKDOWN!!!!!!!!!

Saints Row IV is in the new Humble Bundle, $12. This apparently is the game I want. I will buy it.
I will never play it.

markot

Banned
How much is it there? Ozgameshop have it for $55 which seems ok. Do you save much over that?

These were the words: "as it is not conduct that is committed by or at the instigation of, or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity.”

It's easy to argue that the government isn't doing enough about it and therefore through their "acquiescence".

No. It isnt.

"Any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity."

Thats the UNs definition of torture.

Its the crime torture and the word torture are two different things. Just because its 'torture' doesnt make it the crime of torture.

If we included what most people consider torture, then almost all physical assaults would be torture.

Stackboy

Agreed.

Last Gen = Crackdown
This Gen = NO CRACKDOWN

CRACKDOWN!!!!!!!!!

Saints Row IV is in the new Humble Bundle, $12. This apparently is the game I want. I will buy it.
I will never play it.

This time next year we should have Crackdown 3. It will all be ok.

You'll play SR4 when it's retro in 20 years.

markot

Banned
It is, but the rest of your post doesn't seem to address that at all.
It's not really worth addressing to be honest. The government and the law does what it can, to call it acquiescence is silly. That's like saying the government acquiescences to murder cause we have murder.

Refurb Nexus 4 for $169 posted

Driveclub servers working most of the time for challenges in single player for me. Haven't tried multiplayer but I drive like I'm playing Motorstorm so I don't think that will work online. Also the little looping race on the Mexican radio telescope map is the greatest.
Yeah I had little to no issues getting ambient challenges to work for me since a week or so after launch. Still need to man up and jump back in lol

It's not getting good reviews.
Getting good scores but bad writeups. Which sucks because both should be bad/mediocre/average at best.

By that do you mean cutscenes? No, they're 720P. I think everything else has been improved, though. Durante's just happy he can run it at 50000x30000 resolution and 1000000fps.
Mainly meant textures so they scale up to 1080 and beyond without looking low res. Tons of AA would look amazing too due to the art style.

Agreed.

Last Gen = Crackdown
This Gen = NO CRACKDOWN
This gen is getting Crackdown 3 (AKA: SR4) soon!

This time next year we should have Crackdown 3. It will all be ok.
The reboot Crackdown is looking like a 2016 title btw.

Fredescu

It's not really worth addressing to be honest. The government and the law does what it can, to call it acquiescence is silly. That's like saying the government acquiescences to murder cause we have murder.

If a particular type of murder happens at a rate higher than a lot of other murders, and it's in the capacity of the government to do something about that, and they don't, then no, it's not silly. I'm not making this argument, but I'm not stupid, so I know the answer isn't as simple as looking at a fucking dictionary.

markot

Banned
Except we are talking about a UN convention, with definite definitions. Legally it can mean looking at the dictionary.

People like to argue that terrorism is common, all crimes terrorise. That doesn't change the fact that there is a legal definition of the crime of terrorism, and that crimes need to fit that to be charged that.

What does calling domestic violence torture, legally, accomplish? I'm sorry but there is a legal definition of torture, and no tortured interpretation of English can change that.

The government does do stuff to fight domestic violence, but it is endemic, a cultural problem more than a legal one, laws won't change attitudes. To say that because it is still a problem, as it is world wide, that the government somehow is to blame our complicit is silly.

Torture is defined by the un and Australian legislation. Both of them are clear. No. Domestic violence didn't fit the bill. Does that diminish domestic violence? No.

MoonGred

After months of not using my ipad I finally found a use for it again. I was prompted to update to Ios8, can someone explain why on earth I need a minimum of 6.9gb of free space for a system update???
I only have a 16gb ipad and couldn't be bothered deleting stuff so its back to gathering dust...

Anyone play any cool games lately aside from the heavy hitters?

After months of not using my ipad I finally found a use for it again. I was prompted to update to Ios8, can someone explain why on earth I need a minimum of 6.9gb of free space for a system update???
I only have a 16gb ipad and couldn't be bothered deleting stuff so its back to gathering dust...
Buy a Vita.

Markot is obsessed with one word that is largely irrelevant to what I'm saying. We're talking past each other.

The main thing is you can both discuss your points without threatening death upon each other, which is awesome.

MoonGred

Anyone play any cool games lately aside from the heavy hitters?

Buy a Vita.

The main thing is you can both discuss your points without threatening death upon each other, which is awesome.

I still don't know why I bought an Ipad, to this day it's probably one of my worst impulse purchases, a 16gb wifi ipad is about as useless as it gets. I more or less knew I was an idiot for buying one the day after receiving it

Pssht already have one! I was smart enough to buy one at launch, because I figured everyone would want one...
joke's on me I guess
Speaking of the Vita, has anyone played Binding of Isaac on yet? I attempted to play on the train yesterday but couldn't see anything, I wasn't even sitting in a sunny area, and the brightness was all the way up.

Wasteland 2 is cool so far. Seems to be what I hoped it would be.

I don't get the reference, but I agree, the alternative would suck.
No real reference, just nice to see civilised debate!

I finally played the Left Behind DLC for TLoU. It was fantastic. Going to get all the easter eggs in it tonight :)

Pssht already have one! I was smart enough to buy one at launch, because I figured everyone would want one...
joke's on me I guess
Speaking of the Vita, has anyone played Binding of Isaac on yet? I attempted to play on the train yesterday but couldn't see anything, I wasn't even sitting in a sunny area, and the brightness was all the way up.

Good chap. Isaac seems to look fine for me but I've only played it under lights at home.

senahorse

I need to get back to that, got a couple of hours into California and just stopped. I enjoyed the 40 hours I have already put into it but it was a bit jarring coming from the much more refined Divinity.

Getting good scores but bad writeups. Which sucks because both should be bad/mediocre/average at best.
Which is why you should always /read/ reviews, and not focus on the numbers! Seems fans in the OT are enjoying themselves. Unsurprising due to the need to feel content with the purchase. I'm sure I'll enjoy my time with it, but am in no rush, maybe mid to late next year.

It's a but clunky but I've really enjoyed it so far. I'm probably 1/5 to 1/4 through the second major area
(e.g. LA)
, a bit combat focused and some skills seem redundant but it's generally a pretty good time.

senahorse

Going on past experience those words seem funny together, but that's definitely on my list to try.

I haven't played the past ones, but original sin makes wasteland 2 feel rather undercooked, the polish just isn't there, well wasn't when I played it as recently as a few weeks ago.

Samboread

Does anyone know if I was to buy an imported ps4 version of little big planet 3 from say ozgameshop. Would dlc downloaded from the Australian Playstation store work? Or would I have to make a British account and use their store?

Saw Interstellar tonight. I actually quite enjoyed it. There are some scenes that are very out there but I really liked it. The robots in it are brilliant too. Good flick.

Omikron

Can anyone recommend me some boardgames that are still fun to play with 2 people?
Certainly can. Games my wife and I enjoy 2p in order of complexity.

Lost Cities
Jaipur
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride (Nordic Countries)
Pandemic (co op)
Ghost Stories (co op)
Samurai
Suburbia
Agricola

That should give you a good start

Fredescu

I haven't played the past ones, but original sin makes wasteland 2 feel rather undercooked, the polish just isn't there, well wasn't when I played it as recently as a few weeks ago.

I've hardly played games in the last year or so, so I don't really have any context to call it clunky or otherwise. Any graphical clunkiness I've been putting down to the fact that I'm running on it pretty low specs. I had a rough idea that it would be Fallout 1/2 ish without having to mess with mods to run fine at 1080p, and it's meeting those expectations so far. Did we end up deciding if Divinity would be playable on the Surface? I remember you tested but I don't remember the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom