• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

Congrats. So you're on a 4 year work visa, and are you looking to apply for a Permanent one?

Yea, I'll apply for a permanent one after 2 years. The work visa is temporary sponsored by my work so if they fire me I need a new sponsor within 90 days.

The missus is an Aussie though. So we were going to do defacto, but due to time it takes to process (12+ months) and cost, we thought it would be better to go this route. Despite me having bad experiences with companies sponsoring me in the past (in the UK).

But yea, another stress off our shoulders.

I went to the one during PAX and it was pretty awesome. If I lived in Melbourne I would definitely be there tonight.

I'd go to Beta Bar with you if you wanted. Though, not tonight or new years. Though if you were in town.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Downloading it now. My 5yo will be very excited to play new tracks. 16 more tracks for $16 is amazing value - thanks Nintendo!

so good! they ended up going up around 7ish pm.

looking forward to playing more over the weekend. the tracks seem much tighter, gotta be on ball with those consecutive corners.

edit: bonus adorable link

QQ8Z8JY.jpg

Sigh, my appeal to have my exchange credits counted was rejected on the grounds that it wouldn't be "fair" to other students (the other students who got credit for the same courses that I didn't get credit for?) orz time to take it to the union I suppose.

Ohh in that case I'll get it. Will also add to my nice pile of games for when I get a ps4 soon!

Also re Queensland/Brisbane, I noticed they started running ads on bloomberg tv (financial news channel) these past few days (g20 related I guess) saying Brisbane is like the "world city of Australia" and how it's the centre of business and UQ business school is the shit. Are they lying? lol!

ahahhahahahaah this is so embarrassing :|

UQ business school has ads all over brisbane but I've heard it's not very good compared to QUT honestly.. Not very practical etc.

Did anyone see the Cameron-Abbott joint press conference? Every time Abbott opened his mouth I cringed.

Deeku

so good! they ended up going up around 7ish pm.

looking forward to playing more over the weekend. the tracks seem much tighter, gotta be on ball with those consecutive corners.

edit: bonus adorable link

http://i.imgur.com/QQ8Z8JY.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
omg!

man, i totally excited about getting a wii u. like, i could totally go buy one tomorrow but i'm not too hot with the prices they have here...plus they only sell US units, which isn't a problem..? i dunno, i'm thinking way too hard about this!

[quote="shanshan310, post: 138792823"]Sigh, my appeal to have my exchange credits counted was rejected on the grounds that it wouldn't be "fair" to other students (the other students who got credit for the same courses that I didn't get credit for?) orz time to take it to the union I suppose.
[/QUOTE]
damn, yeah good luck with escalating it. the whole situation seems super messed up:/

Oh yeah, that reminds me that I have:
Risk of Rain
Insurgency (x3)
Teleglitch

keys that have to be redemeed in the next few weeks, so if any AusGAF regular wants one, let me know.

Xbox One with AC Unity & AC Black Flag for $399 at Target. Shame Unity is shit, swap that to SSO & FH2 and I would buy the damn thing!

Oh yeah, that reminds me that I have:
Risk of Rain
Insurgency
Yo Cod! Can I have one of each of these pretty please?

Yo, deals octopus, where do people go to buy xbox live subs for Australian accounts?

Yo Kritz! I thought I tweeted you an eBay deal last weekend that was 13 months for $40? I'll try and find a link.

Kritz

Banned
Xbox One with AC Unity & AC Black Flag for $399 at Target. Shame Unity is shit, swap that to SSO & FH2 and I would buy the damn thing!

Yo Cod! Can I have one of each of these pretty please?

Yo Kritz! I thought I tweeted you an eBay deal last weekend that was 13 months for $40? I'll try and find a link.

Shit I don't remember - I'll check my notifications...
edit: nm found a $40 code that has worked

UQ business school has ads all over brisbane but I've heard it's not very good compared to QUT honestly.. Not very practical etc.

Full Disclosure: I've taught undergraduate courses at both QUT and UQ's Business Schools, and I'm currently doing my PhD at UQ.

At the undergraduate level, they're roughly comparable for most areas. QUT likes to say they're the "university for the real world", but that's pretty much just marketing fluff, and the teaching and assessment is no more focused on being "practical" than what you'd do at UQ. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. For instance, UQ reigns supreme in anything to do with Tourism or Hospitality management, while a couple of QUT lecturers in Marketing got a national teaching citation this year.

At the post-graduate level, UQ wins hands down. No question about it. They're the top MBA program in Australia (and as far as The Economist is concerned, the top MBA outside of North America and Europe), and have significant better rankings than QUT on research output.

Quasar

Well this is curious.

Since flashing my android phone to 5.0 I'm unable to log in to the Netflix app using getflix. Keep getting a weird date and time error.

Yeah, it's the way of things "Someone said it was crap so it must be so."

I've played the first few missions in Unity and I've been enjoying it a lot. Framerate seems to be creeping up with each patch (there've been two so far on PS4). It's definitely under 30, hovering in the mid-20's, which is about what we were getting at the start of last gen, particularly on PS3. It's certainly not unplayable.

CoD AW was almost unplayable online for me until the first patch hit (also two so far) but improved dramatically. So we can rightfully complain about games being released in a broken state. we can reasonably complain about patches, but at least when they're coming out as quickly as they are these days, things don't always stay (totally) broken for long, way faster than las gen.

That said, if it suddenly becomes as dull as AC3, I'm out and return to the franchise when AC:Rogue hits steam or current gen.

senahorse

Both my gf and I have been playing it on PC this weekend. Pre patch we had 2 hard crashes during co-op, it was a bug when you reached a certain point in the city it would crash, that seems to have been fixed. Apart from that, we haven't noticed anything particularly bad, bit of pop in hear and there (haven't been lucky enough to see any horror faces unfortunately), the occasional levitating npc, certainly nothing game breaking, and for the most part it runs at 60fps. Some of the tech they are using is really damn impressive, especially the crowds. I am not going to pretend it's a fantastic game by any means (lets be real, this is the yearly assassin's creed game, you either like them or don't) but we are both having a good time so far and I would say we have both already got our $35 worth of fun already.

Have you played unity? It certainly has issues, but its far from 'shit'

I should have said 'shit compared to Black Flag in my opinion' since I was talking about buying it (and a console) rather than how it has reviewed.
I've watched about 5 hours of streams, I don't buy games until reviews hit.

Omikron

I should have said 'shit compared to Black Flag in my opinion' since I was talking about buying it (and a console) rather than how it has reviewed.
I've watched about 5 hours of streams, I don't buy games until reviews hit.
What's the Minimum Metacritic Score Required to Purchase (MMSRP)?

What's the Minimum Metacritic Score Required to Purchase (MMSRP)?

I base my purchases on the words, not the scores tbh. I don't think Metacritic is a good way to judge your purposes, especially since different outlets use scores differently to others.
Streams are incredibly useful too. Being able to see the game actually running is great.

Quasar

well my Netflix on android 5 issue got cleared up thanks to a getflix support guy. Turns out Netflix has started hard coding googles DNS into the Netflix app, which gets in the way of getflix. So I had to downgrade to 3.7.1 of the client.

Amazon support never got back to me after their last "you should get a response in 1-2 business days". This morning I sent another message asking for an update.

They're offering me 20% refund on my 970 since I'm not eligable for the ubi code.

That's like 70+ USD. Fuck yeah!

Amazon support never got back to me after their last "you should get a response in 1-2 business days". This morning I sent another message asking for an update.

They're offering me 20% refund on my 970 since I'm not eligable for the ubi code.

Whoa that's awesome! Makes for a damn cheap upgrade.

Tommy DJ

And Australian retailers are wondering why people buy expensive hardware from Amazon and B&H. Our stores just have piss poor customer service.

Most photographers I know just bulk buy shit from B&H. The customer service there makes an assumption that if you are contacting them about a fault, you've probably troubleshooted the item and that there is likely something confusing or wrong about it.

Quasar

Was Amazon gonna start up in Australia soon or did I dream that?

There's been rumours for ages. I just think people won't use it as the prices will be higher. Even leaving aside paying get on everything, I assume Amazon would be buying from local distributors which is where most of the 'Australia tax' is.

MoonGred

You're really making me regret buying local!

MoonGred

There's been rumours for ages. I just think people won't use it as the prices will be higher. Even leaving aside paying get on everything, I assume Amazon would be buying from local distributors which is where most of the 'Australia tax' is.

Don't we have an Australian kindle store now? From what I gather it didn't look as competitively priced as the US one.

aww man :( I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Honestly I was just so impressed with the range, delivery speed and free postage of amazon.jp but I doubt it'd be as convenient in Aus anyway.

Stackboy

I find it incredible that MS can release that Halo: The Master Chief Collection with broken matchmaking. It won't get fixed till Thursday local time with a patch, apparently. That's over a week without a main part of the game working correctly.

Fusebox

Banned
well my Netflix on android 5 issue got cleared up thanks to a getflix support guy. Turns out Netflix has started hard coding googles DNS into the Netflix app, which gets in the way of getflix. So I had to downgrade to 3.7.1 of the client.

How did you do that? Netflix has never worked on my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

jambo

I find it incredible that MS can release that Halo: The Master Chief Collection with broken matchmaking. It won't get fixed till Thursday local time with a patch, apparently. That's over a week without a main part of the game working correctly.

Plus I think they were blocking refunds on XBLive.

I've been having major problems with split screen H2A actually. I only tried for 20 minutes before giving up. Basically, every time I hit start, the xbone goes "WHO ARE YOU?" and asks me to pick my account, even though I'm already signed in. This is with player 2 on a guest account.

No idea whats up with that.

I get the impression that Halo MCC is similar to the Aliens Colonial Marines debacle but without the lies.

Main developer outsources the majority of work to other studios (one of which was invloved in A:CM weren't they?) then they try and mash it all together but don't have enough time to make a lot of it work properly.

Unlike A:CM the content in MCC is compelling so with a few patches it should clean up the majority of the issues thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom