• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I've still gotta read this!

Un2FN8Hm.jpg

spoilers
now you can go straight to your crypto book

Vormund

I'm thinking of building a gaming pc again. This could get expensive.

This is the build I've come up with for a steam machine. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though, and SSD to be put in later.

htpc.jpg

And yeah I'll probably just get them to build it, I can't be bothered this time.

Vormund

The case includes motherboard, PSU and optical drive, so it's not too bad.

And yeah that it SODIMM - like laptops. Due to the size I believe.

Size comparison with 360
size-vs-xbox-360-3.jpg

Considered something like a PC-C37 (if they're even still available, looks like they are)? Size difference is pretty minimal (fits in my TV cabinet, just), but doesn't include a motherboard. Much cheaper though.

You'll have to be careful about the video card selection, however. You'd need a low profile one most likely.

Vormund

Yeah had a look at that, but I like the AsRock m8 for it's looks. The Lian Li also does need a low profile card, and the selection of cards is quite frankly, shit.

Dead Man

Considered something like a PC-C37 (if they're even still available, looks like they are)? Size difference is pretty minimal (fits in my TV cabinet, just), but doesn't include a motherboard. Much cheaper though.

You'll have to be careful about the video card selection, however. You'd need a low profile one most likely.

Damn that's nice. Might have to look at something like that in a couple years. Probably re use my current case for a new gaming rig, but use as much of the bits in something like that for a htpc.

Damn that's nice. Might have to look at something like that in a couple years.
I'm not a fan of the optical drive section, it's a tad squishy, and the LED is a bit bright, but other than that it's pretty nice. Not super quiet, but it was behind a glass door so no big deal.

I don't really use it much any more though.

This is the build I've come up with for a steam machine. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though, and SSD to be put in later.

htc.g

And yeah I'll probably just get them to build it, I can't be bothered this time.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, so much indecision. That and the 2nd had parts I'd bought last weekend (off a forum) still haven't shown up.

I was also really wanting to oh the mitx route, but having to get sff sized PSUs etc is a bit of a pain/expensive.

Danoss

Episode 5 of The Genius finally made it out today. Better late than never, but not without thanks to Bumdiddles for being so dedicated.The following are spoilers for the latest ep in case it isn't apparent, don't want anyone to see them accidentally.

It was a tense episode where the twist didn't click with me even after they revealed the hidden bills, it wasn't until they reiterated that those who needed no chips essentially had 2 wild cards. That was devastating to Yoonsun and Jinho's revelation that they could've won them and Yohwan the game if the rest fell into place.

I thought Jinho might've been off to the deathmatch given what happened in the opening, but Yoonsun does seem to be more reasonable in this area. When she narrowed it down to Hongchul and Yohwan, she did seem to back down from Hongchul due to what I assume would be the concern of a social-based deathmatch, which would certainly have given him the edge and they both knew it. Yohwan couldn't have been a worse choice for Laser Chess, given his strategic and tactical mind, whereas Hongchul would've played more headgames to try and mess with her.

It's a shame she went in the end. I thought she was very intelligent, she was fair, but the social side of it really hurt her.

I bought a Grug collection for my 3 year-old nephew for Christmas. I think I was more excited about it than he was!

He'll be excited soon enough. Though Grug even looks awesome.

Arksy

You can make your own steamboxes??

Awesome.

Question, just how powerful is the Steam OS? Is it closed or can we run VLC, media, etc from it? Use skype? FB? Etc.

senahorse

You can make your own steamboxes??

Awesome.

Question, just how powerful is the Steam OS? Is it closed or can we run VLC, media, etc from it? Use skype? FB? Etc.

As far as I am aware it's just a flavour of Linux, which means yes to your questions, however they may lock it down somewhat.

Fredescu

The only locking down they've done so far is to not let you get into the desktop by default. All you have to do is tick an option in interface settings though and you can get to the Debian desktop and do whatever Linux stuff you want. I doubt that would lock down that side of it more, but they will include more stuff in the Steam client so you don't have to bother leaving it.

Roulette

Accidentally sent you a friend request while looking at AusGAF steam group, evlcookie.You may as well be my friend now.

Or just add me to AusGAF. Please.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Pop quiz:

If I was a discerning gentleman at a board game evening, discussing no doubt, sports, music, finely crafted beers and more, what beers would I prefer?

Kritz

Banned
Pop quiz:

If I was a discerning gentleman at a board game evening, discussing no doubt, sports, music, finely crafted beers and more, what beers would I prefer?

I bought some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to the last board game event I went to, people enjoyed that. The Mountain Goat IPA went down well, too.

And then I bought Wizard's Ale (boags, I know, don't hate me) because it's turned into a tradition for me to bring it. Because, as most of you should know, I'm a Wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom