• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

It's giving them control of both the emulation, and the hardware that it's running on. Maybe they'll change the soundchip manufacturer in PS4 slim or something, who knows. So now they need to make sure not just that all the PS4 games run, but that all their emulators do too. I doubt this is economically viable for games that barely anyone plays. Backwards compatibility for a twenty year old console is really just a marketing tick box and not really something that end users are going to spend much money on.

Definitely, no argument here.

I might give it a miss then lol

That makes no sense to me! Why call it an Australian server but don't have it in Australia? Do they just block any IP address that isn't in Australia? Seems odd!
Are our servers overpriced or something?

hack is a strong word though. all that happened was snapchat names got linked to phone numbers, which means nothing unless youre sending pictures to a bunch of people who you dont want to have your number. does that person even exist, also it was usa only.

markot

Banned

That makes no sense to me! Why call it an Australian server but don't have it in Australia? Do they just block any IP address that isn't in Australia? Seems odd!

Blizzard is extremely stingy and they know that the aussies will suffer through it, so why pay more for an aussie server if the idiots buy it anyway?

Theyre just bastards.

Shaneus

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I guess when I say depth I'm really saying 'oh God I don't want to get bored of this in a month and have this giant expensive thing in my mancave that I'm already sick of'. But hell, you could say Street Fighter is boring, or Crackdown, or whatever because it's relatively simple as far as video games go, but they're my home.
That's a much better analogy (or simile or whatever). I have a feeling an 80s non-DMD (as in, non-graphical display) machine would be more up your alley than anything more recent (as a general thing). Just going off how much you love retro crap, getting an 80s pinball is like double-retro Inception.
Pinball = retro + 80s machine = DOUBLE RETRO

Ooooh man Demolition Man was a good table. For some reason we had a Demolition Man machine in the comic shop I worked at. It was supposed to make money from the kids wandering in from the school across the road but we ended up just putting it on free play all day.
I keep encouraging my mate to put his T2 machine in one of those geek/comics shops in Geelong. I reckon he'd make a mint, especially given they sell those stupid full-size statues of Aliens and Terminators and shit.

Was T2 the one with the gun on it that you could aim?
One of them, yes. FWIW The new AC/DC has one as well (it's by the same designer).

And is the Back to the Future table actually....good?
I think it's not meant to be as shit as the theme would make out. But it might not be great.

Oh SHIT this is awesome! Thank you!!
No problemo. There's another site which aggregates and averages eBay prices for machines in the US, but it's quite useless for comparing prices here (for the most part). The one I posted looks much more relevant (though I don't know how submissions work, so it could be missing out on a bit).

In other news, I got this in the mail today:

BdaICS6CIAAxBp4.jpg

Can't wait to crack it open during lunch. Gaming history books are tops. Can't wait to start writing mine :)
That's pretty goddamn badarse. I'd kill for a Psygnosis one... or Bizarre (though that's not *quite* as retro).

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn there's always a catch! Oh well, it'll be years before I can afford that anyway.

Hoping to make a trip up to Geelong/Melb at the end of the month if I can get everything under control, I'll keep you posted!
Rad. I aim to muster up the motivation to do a spring cleaning ASAP, so hopefully that happens before you're in town ;)

You can use any accounts you want on PS3.
You can buy games on the US PSN with a US account and then play them on your AUS PSN account.

Main thing is deciding which digital PSN account you are already keen on. I had an account name picked out well in advance and then bought a few games on it, so I decided to stay with my AUS account rather than buy a US PS+ subscription.
I've been itching to know this for a while. I'm thinking of getting the Pinball Arcade DLC from the US store because there's a $14 difference (on top of $30 base price) which is the biggest regional discrepancy (that I care about) for a very long time. Good stuff!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Nope. Blizzard's Australian servers are located in the US.

the SEA servers are located in SOUTH EAST ASIA.

those are the sc2 australian servers.

unless they've moved them all since they set them up in 2010?

open-snaps broken already? It has been 5 mins and no pic.

My New Years nerd resolutions:

Play a game of Blood Bowl irl

Get some of my heavier boardgames to the table (Dominant Species, Sekigahara, Napoleons Triumph)

And as an addendum to that, finally play Vladaas Mage Knight (I have set it up twice now and put it away again because goddamn those rules are front loaded)

Maybe play some video games I bought for a change. Steam backlog is approaching epic proportions but I can't stop playing multiplayer games (DoTA, Payday 2)

Fredescu

That makes no sense to me! Why call it an Australian server but don't have it in Australia?

To have servers that have an active population in the right time zone and to have a reboot and maintenance schedule that corresponds to the right peak times. I have no idea if the latter ever happened. The former always resulted in "Unofficial Australian servers" for every MMO. They're just formalising that I guess. There's nothing stopping anyone else connecting as far as I know. USA players on night shift etc play in our peak time too.

Quasar

To have servers that have an active population in the right time zone and to have a reboot and maintenance schedule that corresponds to the right peak times. I have no idea if the latter ever happened. The former always resulted in "Unofficial Australian servers" for every MMO. They're just formalising that I guess. There's nothing stopping anyone else connecting as far as I know. USA players on night shift etc play in our peak time too.

I always wondered. I mean obviously it would be cheaper, but i would have thought putting servers in say Japan would be a better idea as they would have just as good performance with better ping times.

Amusingly I've never tried a Australia MMO server as I prefer playing with US based friends.

Having servers located elsewhere means a ton of extra support considerations, not to mention if you have all your servers in one or two physical places it's a hell of a lot easier to manage.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
So it looks like I'll be flying to Melbourne on Friday 7th and staying til the following Monday. Can't book anything until we know the bf can get Friday arvo off. So if anyone wants to say hi in that time they're more than welcome. Except on Saturday, I'll be busy at a wedding for most of the arvo and evening

Danoss

My New Years nerd resolutions:

Play a game of Blood Bowl irl

Get some of my heavier boardgames to the table (Dominant Species, Sekigahara, Napoleons Triumph)

And as an addendum to that, finally play Vladaas Mage Knight (I have set it up twice now and put it away again because goddamn those rules are front loaded)

I'm gradually working my way through the SA miniature painting thread and thought I saw a familiar name and avatar in there.

I'm looking forward to having a bash of DreadBall at some point. I don't know how similar it is to Blood Bowl, but I like how relatively simple it seems to be as a miniatures/board game hybrid. Just getting into miniature painting and having only assembled and partially painted some Hordes stuff, the DreadBall minis are comparatively tiny.

Deeku

Early morning flights...never again!

Watched a new-ish japanese movie on the flight called Oshin. I looked it up and it's an adaptation of a popular 80s j-drama, which was based on the biography of a business Japanese business woman or something.

Pretty simple movie, Meiji period, had a lot of feels, I recommend it to our fellow j-movie watchers!

Kritz

Banned
only reason I'm posting this is because it took fuckin' ages to do

There is now a mostly-working, completely impracticable, almost entirely pointless, notepad in the burger game.

I spent two weeks on a system that nobody in their right mind will ever want to use.

So it looks like I'll be flying to Melbourne on Friday 7th and staying til the following Monday. Can't book anything until we know the bf can get Friday arvo off. So if anyone wants to say hi in that time they're more than welcome. Except on Saturday, I'll be busy at a wedding for most of the arvo and evening

Friday is 10th. I hope you didn't mess up the dates and miss the wedding.

hack is a strong word though. all that happened was snapchat names got linked to phone numbers, which means nothing unless youre sending pictures to a bunch of people who you dont want to have your number. does that person even exist, also it was usa only.

if you never associate a phone number with your account you're perfectly safe.

i mean i can't tell how their actual server backend is but besides that one thing the api is pretty secure all things considered, they banned an ip of mine while testing, messed everything up for a bit.

just uh, don't ever assume anything you send over snapchat is private. it'd be pretty easy to hook my a main account up and download and save locally or forward everything i get to another account.

and yeah open-snaps will break occasionally, i just need it to happen again and work around it.

I've been itching to know this for a while. I'm thinking of getting the Pinball Arcade DLC from the US store because there's a $14 difference (on top of $30 base price) which is the biggest regional discrepancy (that I care about) for a very long time. Good stuff!
DLC is region locked to the game, so you would need to download Pinball Arcade from the US store, pretty sure it's free anyway and you pay for the DLC tables? Should work in theory.

the SEA servers are located in SOUTH EAST ASIA.

those are the sc2 australian servers.

unless they've moved them all since they set them up in 2010?
So they don't have a server marked Australia? Just SEA?

Having servers located elsewhere means a ton of extra support considerations, not to mention if you have all your servers in one or two physical places it's a hell of a lot easier to manage.
So what you're saying is they don't care about us :(

Also you playing Payday today? I'm keen to get back into it if you don't have a group!

Congrats! I assumed you landed somewhere large after PCPP.

only reason I'm posting this is because it took fuckin' ages to do

There is now a mostly-working, completely impracticable, almost entirely pointless, notepad in the burger game.

I spent two weeks on a system that nobody in their right mind will ever want to use.
Can you draw a penus on the notepad? If you can draw a penus I wouldn't call it entirely pointless.

Papa & Yo
Surgeon Simulator
To The Moon

Who wants? Awesome people need only apply. Jase can join in too if he wants.

No thanks, I bought those games ages ago before they were in bundles

#SteamHipster

Papa & Yo
Surgeon Simulator
To The Moon
I'd love Surgeon Simulator if no one else has asked it. I'm on the fence with this latest bundle, if I buy it I'll pay Surgeon Simulator forward...

(Joe Danger and Reus are the other games I don't have and I'm not that interested in them)

Also you playing Payday today? I'm keen to get back into it if you don't have a group!
I do have a group but I reckon I can cheat on them! Not until the weekend though probably...

MelBoardGameGAF, there was talk about something maybe happening at Mitcham. Should we throw a date out there and see what sticks?

legend166

It's not like these companies have to set up their own infrastructure and staff in Australia. You just get a hosting company to do it.

Shaneus

LEDs in pinball machines woo!
img_0833y6s8f.jpg

AU PSN+ annual sub price has gone up to $73.95. At $69.99, it was already ridiculously overpriced compared to US price of $49.99,
Seriously? Fuck that for a joke. They already have me riled up with the price disparity of the season packs for Pinball Arcade ($30 vs $44) and now they've upped the price again?

Thinking of going solely US account soon. Well, keep my pleb AU PSN one and just go US secondary account for cheap PSN and PS+.

Shonky.

Edit: Just realised that'll make me lose access to all the stuff I already got through PS+. Fuck you, Sony.

Deeku

I'm totally getting a pinball machine when I have my own place + game room!

Also, yay I'm "home"!

And double yay my clothes didn't go all mouldy. I was totally stressing about that. Pro tip for you peeps going to live in japan (cos I'm pretty sure the same thing happens in jp), buy dehumidifying tubs for your closets! Especially the one with the rad elephant mascot

Do you check Twitter Shaneus? You should check Twitter. I post most of the bargain stuff there now instead.

Don't Starve on PS4 is up for free now for PS+ members!
By the developers of Mark of the Ninja, Shank 2, Shank, N+ XBLA edition and Eets.

Shaneus

Do you check Twitter Shaneus? You should check Twitter. I post most of the bargain stuff there now instead.

Don't Starve on PS4 is up for free now for PS+ members!
By the developers of Mark of the Ninja, Shank 2, Shank, N+ XBLA edition and Eets.
I don't :/ At least, not as often as I'd like... and because I follow too many people now, it's hard to know when to check for certain stuff. Is there something specific I should check out?

Mar

LEDs in pinball machines woo!
img_0833y6s8f.jpg

Wow, that looks incredible. The playfield looks in great shape too. Is it? Or, if you excuse the question, are the LEDs making it look better than it is? The reason I ask is, my BOP is pretty dirty, scuffed, yellowed around non-mylard areas, and has wear through to the wood at common ball drop areas. But as soon as I switch it on, BOOM, it looks amazing with all of the colour and LEDs. Those lights make a huge difference. Something I haven't yet been able to capture well in photos.

BbUFj9ACcAAI1TK.jpg

Bb-9Bs3CEAAwt1l.jpg

Shaneus

Wow, that looks incredible. The playfield looks in great shape too. Is it? Or, if you excuse the question, are the LEDs making it look better than it is? The reason I ask is, my BOP is pretty dirty, scuffed, yellowed around non-mylard areas, and has wear through to the wood at common ball drop areas. But as soon as I switch it on, BOOM, it looks amazing with all of the colour and LEDs. Those lights make a huge difference. Something I haven't yet been able to capture well in photos.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbUFj9ACcAAI1TK.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bb-9Bs3CEAAwt1l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I was just messaging a friend of mine about the same thing... somehow LEDs, despite being brighter, hide the blemishes (like ball swirl) rather than show it up more. But unfortunately, they show up fingerprints and scratches on the playfield glass and plastics MUCH more :(

Looking at yours, even if you just got a GI LED kit, I reckon it would work wonders even if you keep the standard globes for the inserts (though obviously they'd pop a lot more as well).

One thing I learned though: I got my kit through Cointaker (I suspect a pricing error on their site, the LED insert pack is only ~$40 but on a leaflet the same kit is $80) but the yellow LEDs they use for some reason are not as bright as the others, so they can look off. I just replaced those with the original lamps though and despite having *slightly* different timing to LEDs (because they're filament bulbs) it looks much better and are hardly noticeable.

senahorse

Licence achieved and just went on my maiden voyage on the new bike. GF has her test on Sunday, hopefully all goes as well for her :D

1stride_zpsc998c692.png~original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom