• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Birthday!
APwbj.jpg

Hope it's been a good one regardless of nature trying to kill us

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Thanks!!
Lucian: prob been the worst one yet. Joy.

But pants are off, cider is in. Everything's coming up milhouse.

Dead Man

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-16/duong-neo-nazi-bashing-banned-australia-vietnam/5204024
A Vietnamese man awaiting medical treatment after being bashed by Melbourne Neo-Nazis is in limbo after being banned from Australia for three years.

Minh Duong was forced to leave the country after immigration officials at Tullamarine airport last week flagged that his student visa had expired in March last year.

Mr Duong disputes that, claiming to have written confirmation from the Immigration Department that his visa did not expire until March 2014.

But despite his claims, Mr Duong was forced to leave the country as an "unlawful non-citizen" and is now residing in Ho Chi Minh.

He has also been told by the Immigration Department that he is not allowed to return for three years.

A petition with 67,000 signatures demanding that Mr Duong be allowed back into Australia to receive medical treatment and graduate from university was delivered to Immigration Minister Scott Morrison today.

However, in a statement to 7.30, Mr Morrison's office maintained that Mr Duong departed Australia as an unlawful non-citizen since his last student visa expired on in March last year.

The statement said Mr Duong would be supported by the Australian embassy in Vietnam.

The Immigration Department also said that it was investigating the apparent contradiction between its records and Mr Duong's and that it takes instances of fraud seriously.

In 2012, Mr Duong was punched and kicked by Neo Nazis 70 times, stabbed, and had a brick smashed over his head with such force that the brick broke in two.

His front teeth were smashed out and he is still awaiting $25,000 worth of dental treatment.
Nice unsubtle threat there by the Immigration Department.
Birthday!
APwbj.jpg

Hope it's been a good one regardless of nature trying to kill us
LOL, not seen that before.
Charlotte Grace.

She has been a perfect angel today. She won't be by the time we get home though I'm sure.

Nice name man.

Shaneus

Nice name man.
Yeah, as far as girl's names go, that's pretty awesome. Any girl you can call by a boys name somehow makes them far more awesome.

Best of luck to Jables, Mrs. Jables and Charlie :)
Edit: And the other one, but who cares about the first baby... you have a new one!

That's horrible. The student visa department is known to make blunders. I've seen many cases back in uni when I was working for the international student magazine. Also a close friend of mine was deemed unlawful for 2 days because his bridging visa did not follow through automatically after the student visa expired (he had applied for PR). He had to wait an extra year for citizenship eligibility due to those 2 days he was supposedly unlawful due to no fault of his.

Pffft. Shit day. Fucking fires everywhere back home. Hope everyone gets through tomorrow alive, fucking winds are starting to turn and a 3km fire front is heading out of crown land into the path of houses/towns sadly.
Also for some reason I'm crook in the belly. Maybe it's all the cheap scotch I've been drinking :/

Also Pikmin 3 & W101 finally downloaded and installed! lol
Took fucking forever.
Will try W101 tomorrow.

It's not early access, and it's not a beta. It's the finished first chapter of a two-chapter game. They even said so in their recent update!
I wasn't inferring it was/should be Early Access, I was mainly raising the point since a lot of people had been saying, "Why wasn't it on Early Access?". Even Double Fine felt the need to explain they went past Early Access and straight to backer beta and open release.

50% off Razer store if you like them on FB. Not that it matters because it seems like anything worth buying has already sold out. :(
Wasn't it only accessories, no keyboards? Postage was insane!

It really, really was. Thinking about it now, it could've been EA's Assassin's Creed. I don't even know what happened to the staff who worked on it, but I have a feeling they didn't band together and form another company :/
Most of them splintered off into their own endeavors. A few went onto Microsoft Studios for Kinect and Halo related duties. A few ended up with Activision too, I recall a few names popping up in COD Ghosts.

I replay it about once a year, I love the atmosphere and blowing up nazi towers never gets old. If they had had 6 months extra to polish it and had worked out some of the AI and voice acting it could have been sublime. I was very surprised when I found out the lead voice actor is actually British, I thought it was a rubbish accent and expected it to be an American.
Loved it. Sad that EA shut Pandemic down before the game was even released :(

Never heard of it.

I really need to play that with the Oculus Rift
You should have gone to PAX last year! It was pretty amazing to play with OR. I keep thinking I've bought it but haven't, even missed a bundle!

What a ringing endorsement!

Doesn't sound worth it for $45. Anything else decent on the Aldi Liquor site? http://www.aldiliquor.com.au/beer

The Storms, Rivets, Fraser's etc look pretty suspect.
2L of Makers Mark for $114! Delicious. More so than the bottom of the barrel $27 stuff I'm drinking from there!

The "premium" lager is okay, only instore it seems. Nothing special but tastes enough like a lager to be consumable.

Still want to try the pale ale but this damn heat has put me off!

Renberg is a fantastic Rekorderlig clone, highly recommend. $4 for a 500ml bottle, pure gold. Great range of flavours too.

fairly sure I have either beer or cider still in the fridge. thankfully. so thankfully.
Needs to be in the freezer on a day like this! Otherwise it'll be hot within 7 seconds of opening >_<

I usually chuck one in for 10 minutes. So good. Just have to be careful with pressurisation to avoid freezing lol

Baby finally arrived last night. Beers to wet the head tomorrow night I reckon. I'm exhausted though and I only just watched.
Woo! Nice work! Hope you're waiting on the wife hand and foot!

It's my bday so I drink the VB.
Congrats! Hope it fucking cools down up your way tomorrow as a late bday present!

She has been a perfect angel today. She won't be by the time we get home though I'm sure.
Haha babies. They cool.
Then they start actually being a 'being' rather than being a traveler in a weird weird destination.
Then they start moving. Oh god the moving. >_<

Our little guy was awesome early on too, made the paranoia about hitting/throwing/killing him diminish enough that we could actually halfway enjoy the experience!

That's horrible. The student visa department is known to make blunders. I've seen many cases back in uni when I was working for the international student magazine. Also a close friend of mine was deemed unlawful for 2 days because his bridging visa did not follow through automatically after the student visa expired (he had applied for PR). He had to wait an extra year for citizenship eligibility due to those 2 days he was supposedly unlawful due to no fault of his.
Operation Keep Out The Darkies is a mixed bag, hard to be effective when we like different tasting foods and successful sportspeople across the spectrum. Although the usual, general incompetence at public operations level helps the cause!

hi, anyone know where I can buy the sharpshooter accessory for the ps move? seems to be out of stock in all the stores.

EB Games will have it for under $20. Otherwise wait for a sale on eBay/Mighty Ape/Fishpond etc. Plenty around.

hamchan

Fellow The Genius fans:

Bumdidlyumptious &#8207;@Bumdidlyump 5h
No BTS for episode 6.

Probably because there was so much drama around this ep, they don't want to make the Korean netizens more angry by showing some of the more horrible things they had to cut. I know I might stop watching if
Hong Jinho
gets eliminated.

Okay, I haven't watched the complete season one yet. Where are you watching season two, YouTube?
Check your PMs.

I wasn't inferring it was/should be Early Access, I was mainly raising the point since a lot of people had been saying, "Why wasn't it on Early Access?". Even Double Fine felt the need to explain they went past Early Access and straight to backer beta and open release.
Must've misread. Got to play some of Vella's section last night. I've not found many of the puzzles difficult so far (have just
gained entrance to the temple of whatever in the Shell town, have the key from the lumberjack to open it
) and haven't even started the guy's stuff yet.

It's great to have another adventure game to play. So many of the lines just feel Lucasarts-esque (for obvious reasons!), it's like seeing an old friend. I wish that old friend had modernised a little, but I'm super happy with reminiscing too.

Gazunta

Reptile I was at PAX :) But I decided to just skip the line and chat with the dev for a while.

I am a spoiled brat who is not used to lining up for things.

Played Broken Age for a bit last night. Spent ten minutes waiting for Direct X to update again (God damn it Steam you suck sometimes), then ten minutes trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any sound out of the speakers, then I played for ten minutes and then felt guilty I wasn't making comics. WHOO.

I liked the first ten minutes.

Edit: CONGRATS JABLES AND MRS JABLES!!!

Danoss

Happy birthday, Holy!

Congrats, Jables!

I don't have anything witty to say, but I'm sure you don't need me to add anything to improve what were surely two individually great events for you.

Fellow The Genius fans:

Probably because there was so much drama around this ep, they don't want to make the Korean netizens more angry by showing some of the more horrible things they had to cut. I know I might stop watching if
Hong Jinho
gets eliminated.

I'm not surprised in the least. There are some glaring holes in the episode, a number of which Holy pointed out, no way are they going to show more of what angered so many of the viewers.

I know I'm in the same boat as you. If
Jinho
goes, there's a good chance I'll lose all interest in watching. The last thing the show needs is to devolve into drama.

I've read that the producers of season 1 went on to do something else. If true, their replacements seem to misunderstand what made the show so popular.
Jinho was locked out of the open/pass game,
but not in any way similar to the most recent events, and for me that resulted in one of, if not the single best moment of season 1.

^ Lol.

Its nice to see that person who did that thing is copping a lot of flak.

I didn't realise how big the backlash was until afterwards. Apparently what happened is very much a big deal in Korean culture, as it should be anywhere, but sadly it's not.

From someone on Team Liquid:

Genius producers officially apologized for the
ID card theft
and say its all their fault. Nothing important in the article except they say they will be more strict on rules like
theft
source: http://news.nate.com/view/20140116n21865

Google translate is horrendous in this instance, so I'll be taking their word for it. They'd be silly not to say they shouldn't have stepped in. It was asked if
cheating was allowed (in reference to the mirrors allowing cards to be seen) and they said "no" and then allowed what amounted to cheating.

Congrats to little miss Swan and parents. Is it too early to break out the AusGAF questionnaire?

From someone on Team Liquid:
I really agree that
theft
, and doing dodgy stuff like
looking at others' cards in mirrors
and other similar things are definitely not in the spirit of the game, but this season is called 'Rulebreakers', and, well, those things sort of are...

Wonder whether the producers suggested to all the players that "nothing" is off limits, and maybe didn't think things would get a bit out of hand.

Shit. Home sick and just ate 3 bits of banana bread before noticing a ton of green mould spots on the 3rd piece >.>

EDIT: Hit 39 degrees at 11am then dropped to 30 within ten minutes, what the hells going on!

It's great to have another adventure game to play. So many of the lines just feel Lucasarts-esque (for obvious reasons!), it's like seeing an old friend. I wish that old friend had modernised a little, but I'm super happy with reminiscing too.
Yep. From the first moment it feels like it could have been a continuation of that old school Lucasarts team from Day of the Tentacle/etc. Absolutely fantastic feeling to it. Pure face smiling.

Reptile I was at PAX :) But I decided to just skip the line and chat with the dev for a while.
That was meant to be a joke since we ran into each other a few times at PAX (Ninja Pizza Girl, Korean BBQ) but I forgot to include it in the reply >_<

(also because we talked about Lunar Flight at one point too!)

Gazunta

lololololol

Seriously how amazing is the new Zelda on 3DS. I haven't had this much fun playing a video game in ages. Dunno why this one clicked with me and so many other Zeldas haven't. Just finished the Ice Dungeon this morning after 3 days of off-and-on slogging through it and couldn't have been happier.

And I still have Luigi and DKC to play through, and new Yoshi's Island soon. Yessss.

Danoss

I really agree that
theft
, and doing dodgy stuff like
looking at others' cards in mirrors
and other similar things are definitely not in the spirit of the game, but this season is called 'Rulebreakers', and, well, those things sort of are...

Wonder whether the producers suggested to all the players that "nothing" is off limits, and maybe didn't think things would get a bit out of hand.

Going from the first season, I'll quote the end of the description for the very first game.

You may use any means necessary as long as they do not break these rules. Of course, violence or
theft
is not allowed.

As you may recall or could even imagine even if you hadn't seen the show, the reaction was a jovial one. Everyone was laughing, smiling or giggling.

Gura said "Who do you think we are?"
Poong said "
Theft
, arson, plunder."

Now, while
a theft of sorts
did happen in that very episode where
Sangmin picked up Jinho's garnet
, it was somewhat different and notably outside the game itself.

From the season 2 intro where the invites are read out:

Congratulations. You have been invited to the new season of The Genius. In The Genius game, you'll be able to experience the limits of human psychology. Like last time, we have prepared games that will require you to exhibit your logical thinking and social skills. The Genius game will present you with several dilemmas. The journey and the result. The group and the individual. Beautiful defeats and ugly victories.

In order to become the final victor, you will have to find your own strategy to survive. Victory will not come using the same method repeatedly. The ability to read a person's feelings. Thinking outside the box. The reinterpretation of rules. The one who overturns thoughts and alters the playing field. They will be... Rule Breaker's protagonist.

It's remarkably similar to those from season 1. The main differences are the omission of explaining what garnets are and the last 3 sentences.

On the last 3 sentences, I don't think any of them indicate that what transpired in episode 6 was okay. But, like you said, perhaps the participants have been given some direction on ways to behave and expanded boundaries. If so, it appears to be a big mistake. The show is extremely popular and doesn't need to shake things up in order to make things interesting.

I will note that having a quick flick back at previous episodes this season, I think the tail end of episode 6 really did point something out.
I thought that showing the strong bond between Jiwon and Yooyoung was pointing out justification for what happened to Doohee, an attempt to lessen the backlash against them and the show itself. Taking a brief look myself, it seems to me that it is completely true. Their ties run deep and either of them will betray anyone to help the other on out if they can. As much of a pun as it is now, it is also apt to say they are as thick as thieves.

If anyone can rip their alliance apart, I think it has to be Sangmin. He's far better at what he does than they are as he doesn't seem to draw the ire of others when he does it. He could also push for a separate alliance to send one of them to the deathmatch as well as him, use his token and then put Jinho in if possible. Or he sends himself to the deathmatch, chooses one of them and then uses the token to put Jinho in. Two scenarios with the same possible outcome, but he will likely gain a permanent enemy or two in either (and Jinho won't be one).

I apologise if I am perhaps carrying on a little bit too much about this, but it's interesting to me and I love the show to bits. A reality show like this that really celebrates and glamourises intelligence and cunning is a rarity these days, it disappoints me to see it as anything else.

Gazunta

I liked the episode of Roger Ramjet when he took the
proton energy pills
which, in a surprising twist, gave him the power of
20 atom bombs for the period of 20 seconds
The No Good-niks
didn't see that twist coming, and their reaction to
being hit on the head
made for some compelling viewing.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about since I have zero chance of getting time to watch the show, but I'm glad you're all having fun watching a new show together, and it sure as fuck beats Cricket talk, so keep it up guys <3

Jintor

A friend of mine just posted a facebook picture of herself with a huge thumbs up and grin standing over some person's arm with a catheter sticking in it. "My first cannulation! Success!"

social media is weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom