• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

Yeah, I liked it a lot.

Please note that by 'it' I mean 'the single player skirmish mode that most closely resembled the Amiga / ST original' and not 'the single player campaign which has FPS sections and horrible cutscenes in it for no God damn good reason'.

Last time I checked there was no online multiplayer mode but no idea if they patched that in.

My problem with that is that its based on listenership numbers which really shouldn't be a concern from ABC stations. Triple J's job is to provide an outlet for Australian alternative music. And I'm not really convinced it has nailed that alternative part for the better part of a decade.

And the early 2000s that Razer just shits on in that story is probably my fondest memories of Triple J.

Also Steve McQueen has cancelled on me twice so far. But I might be able to interview John Pilger next week. I think I've got onto some entertainment media list, which seems fun now, but I'm sure will be painful as hell in about a week.

EDIT: I do agree with this in the article though:
you griping little pricks are lucky to have Triple J. And if you’re not on the playlist, consider the possibility that your band is total pants.

Driving through the States late last year, all I wanted was a station that had some variety. There is only so much hip hop, Christian, country or country Christian stations I could listen to

Dead Man

Damn I like that angry rambling woman.

My problem with that is that its based on listenership numbers which really shouldn't be a concern from ABC stations. Triple J's job is to provide an outlet for Australian alternative music. And I'm not really convinced it has nailed that alternative part for the better part of a decade.

And the early 2000s that Razer just shits on in that story is probably my fondest memories of Triple J.

Also Steve McQueen has cancelled on me twice so far. But I might be able to interview John Pilger next week. I think I've got onto some entertainment media list, which seems fun now, but I'm sure will be painful as hell in about a week.

Yeah, but it seems the main criticism is that it is ignoring plain old rock. Plain old rock hasn't been alternative to anything for decades.

Damn I like that angry rambling woman.

Yeah, but it seems the main criticism is that it is ignoring plain old rock. Plain old rock hasn't been alternative to anything for decades.

But folk music is? I actually don't think they do ignore rock that much. They play a solid amount of bands like Violent Soho or DZ Deathrays etc. But it does seem they opt for specific styles and genres over others.

I could be wrong, but I thought they were set up in response to the pop stations of the day not playing music outside of the big monied pop labels. The thought being a government run station could play bands without this backing without worrying about ratings.

I could be wrong, but I thought they were set up in response to the pop stations of the day not playing music outside of the big monied pop labels. The thought being a government run station could play bands without this backing without worrying about ratings.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_J
2JJ was initially intended as the first link in a new national "youth network"
Looks like it was also intended to kick off FM and I presume the alternative focus stemmed from being targeted at youth.

Dead Man

But folk music is? I actually don't think they do ignore rock that much. They play a solid amount of bands like Violent Soho or DZ Deathrays etc. But it does seem they opt for specific styles and genres over others.

Folk music is alternative, absolutely. If it isn't represented in top 50 commercial charts very often, or hasn't dominated popular music for decades, it is probably alternative.

The problem is people listen to 7 minutes of Triple J three times a month at the same time and think it's representative of everything they play.

Triple J without a doubt covers the widest range of artists/genres of any radio station in Australia. Without a doubt. I can't understand how people would dispute that. Just jump on JPlay and read through a weeks playlists.

Arksy

I'm probably going to cause some heart attacks with this statement but if we're going to have publicly funded radio stations...

We should have more than one. :/

I'm probably going to cause some heart attacks with this statement but if we're going to have publicly funded radio stations...

We should have more than one. :/

COMMUNIST

Folk music is alternative, absolutely. If it isn't represented in top 50 commercial charts very often, or hasn't dominated popular music for decades, it is probably alternative.

OK, bad example. How about hip hop though?

Triple J without a doubt covers the widest range of artists/genres of any radio station in Australia. Without a doubt. I can't understand how people would dispute that. Just jump on JPlay and read through a weeks playlists.

You're totally right here. It does seem to me though that a lot of the genre music gets played in it's late night slots and rarely during the day when people are actually listening.

You guys are putting up a fairly solid defence here though.....

Dead Man

COMMUNIST

You're totally right here. It does seem to me though that a lot of the genre music gets played in it's late night slots and rarely during the day when people are actually listening.

You guys are putting up a fairly solid defence here though.....

What sort of hip hop? Generic pop music by African Americans? Or actual hip hop? And really, as long as they are playing variety of stuff, I couldn't care less if they also play some songs that have had chart success, this genre/nomenclature stuff in music is so boring. They play music that is not really represented well on commercial stations, that is all that matters to me.

/cynical old man who is not the target audience of JJJ.

Edit: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-17/iinet-rejects-nbn-broadband-agreement/5204784

Australia's third biggest internet service provider iiNet has refused to sign up to the National Broadband Network's new wholesale agreement, blaming the company's "appalling delivery record".

The wholesale deal gives internet service providers (ISPs) the right to sell NBN services to customers, and outlines the terms and prices under which the Federal Government-owned company will supply fibre-to-the-premises and wireless internet services to the companies.

NBN Co says that after two years of negotiations 27 companies, including Telstra and Optus, have signed the deal, which takes effect from March 1.

However, iiNet says it is refusing to sign up because NBN regularly meets less than 80 per cent of its new connection commitments to iiNet customers.

The ISP's chief regulatory officer Steve Dalby says the proposed wholesale deal would make iiNet responsible for NBN Co's failures.

"Each connection appointment missed and every fault not fixed on time generates CSG [customer service guarantee] payments and potential TIO [Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman] charges, which iiNet would be liable for," he said in a statement.

"In other words, we would be responsible for NBN Co's future delays and network failures. This is unacceptable."

iiNet says its decision does not affect its current customers or its future involvement in the NBN, and it adds that it remains a big supporter of ubiquitous high speed broadband.

For its part, NBN Co says it is continuing negotiations with the ISP sector.

"NBN Co continues to engage with industry and customers to transition from the existing to the new Wholesale Broadband Agreement, and to implement the new terms for 1 March 2014," an NBN spokesperson said in a short emailed statement.
The bolded sounds broken as fuck.

Fredescu

I know the Hilltop Hoods have had a Number 1 album at least twice...

I knew that actually, I meant to specify singles, but I guess I screwed up.

Alternatively, JASE showed me up with his superior knowledge of Australian Hip Hop and I'm hurriedly covering my tracks.

W101 is pretty awesome despite the annoying controls and really basic graphics. Fun bet em up!

Play it plenty during the day time. Tons of indie hip hop gets played on the J's, they usually take at least one or two hip hop performers on Triple J tours too.

They love 360 and Pez at the moment. Apparently Daniel Johns did a track with 360 that had its debut on JJJ the other day?

It does seem to me though that a lot of the genre music gets played in it's late night slots and rarely during the day when people are actually listening.
Gets played during day times too, which is usually followed by "WHY ARE THEY PLAYING THIS METAL/RAP/INDIE SHIT?" on the text line which is hilarious.

I know the Hilltop Hoods have had a Number 1 album at least twice...
Triple J play fucktons of the Hoods even though I'm not a huge fan of theirs >_<

I knew that actually, I meant to specify singles, but I guess I screwed up.

Alternatively, JASE showed me up with his superior knowledge of Australian Hip Hop and I'm hurriedly covering my tracks.
Maybe I knew that you were specifying singles but ignored it in order to take an opportunity to spout one of the very few bits of Australian Hip Hop knowledge that I have.

Alternatively, I'm helping you cover up your crushing defeat because that's the sort of awesome, ubiquitous behaviour that the internet is known for.

W101 is pretty awesome despite the annoying controls and really basic graphics. Fun bet em up!

Play it plenty during the day time. Tons of indie hip hop gets played on the J's, they usually take at least one or two hip hop performers on Triple J tours too.

They love 360 and Pez at the moment. Apparently Daniel Johns did a track with 360 that had its debut on JJJ the other day?

Gets played during day times too, which is usually followed by "WHY ARE THEY PLAYING THIS METAL/RAP/INDIE SHIT?" on the text line which is hilarious.

Triple J play fucktons of the Hoods even though I'm not a huge fan of theirs >_<

I meant they play plenty of hip hop. Specifically Aussie hip hop. Specifically Aussie party hip hop where everything is about summer, beaches and barbecues.

Anyway, this is an argument that is never going to be resolved. So here is something we can all agree is a fucking outrage: They're making a 1984-based romcom

Is it just a standard romcom where it is revealed at the end that her overbearing, controlling partner is, in fact, related to her?

Edit: I realized that I could have also made a joke that it was a standard romcom where her older sibling was just standing in the background of every shot.

Dead Man

Is it just a standard romcom where it is revealed at the end that her overbearing, controlling partner is, in fact, related to her?

Edit: I realized that I could have also made a joke that it was a standard romcom where her older sibling was just standing in the background of every shot.

Both would be acceptable.

With the latter being the more unsettling option, especially in the sex scenes... which just makes me disappointed in myself that it wasn't the first one that came to my mind.

markot

Banned
1984 as a romance makes me want to vomit communism.

Trust women to ruin it with their vaginaing.

Its like my favourite book. Next up, Disney presents "Animal Farm"!

"And I believe the children are our future." heh

Good article.

Anyway, this is an argument that is never going to be resolved. So here is something we can all agree is a fucking outrage: They're making a 1984-based romcom

I think I'm going to be the lone contrarian on this but I am mildly optimistic about it. To repeat the credentials from the article, the director made Like Crazy which was pretty great as far as empty youngluv films go. The screenwriter wrote the screenplay for Moon. I like Nicholas Hoult. It could very well be terrible but I think I have more hope than most people that it could turn out alright.

Jjj basically created the aushiphop scene. They can't just abandon it..

If only.

Edit: BTW guys (and girls), Saint's Row 4 is free to play this weekend. Which should provide enough time for you to either finish it or get sick of it. But beware: It's the "low violence version". Because we can't think for ourselves or something.
Rep: Good chance for extra Steam cards perhaps?

Damn, I should have installed it this morning! I might as well fire it up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody heading to the Ballarat beer festival tomorrow?

Jintor

Recently I've been listening to the SBS popasia station online. Other than that it's just been podcasts - the way of the future.

games, video games, video games, video gaaaaaaameeees, video games, video games, video games, video gaaaaaaaames, video games (gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmeeeeeees video games video) games (gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeees) video games videooooo gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-
-ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Anybody heading to the Ballarat beer festival tomorrow?
Nope! But I'm making beer!

Interestingly, one of the two Ballarat brewers (Red Duck) has pulled out. I expect we'll see this sort of thing happen more frequently given the costs and limited returns for brewers on these days.
games, video games, video games, video gaaaaaaameeees, video games, video games, video games, video gaaaaaaaames, video games (gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmeeeeeees video games video) games (gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeees) video games videooooo gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-
-ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
Fuck Breckon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom