• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Everyone shoulda done what I did after daft punk at number 3 and changed the radio to mp3 players of hottest 100 1998 or other year. Winnerssss

#4 and #6

Just goes to show that some old school triple J listeners are still there.

If Triple J played more Arctic Monkeys and less Lorde and Vince Fucking Joy I might listen to it again. :/

If Arctic Monkeys are old school, I must he old, old, old school. I had to hit up youtube to hear most of the top 10 for the first time! Nice to see Something for Kate, Empire of the Sun and Queens and The Preatures and London Grammar are quite good. Though after only hearing half of one song I'm absolutely sure Haim are godawful.

Slept half the day, went out for bowling and dinner in the evening. Watched the shenanigans of the spaniard on channel 7.

FYI, 26th Jan is also Republic Day in India. I used to watch the parade as a kid, but it's such a worthless holiday given the state of the country today. :/

Good man. Hard to know what 'classics' (well, half of them are crap) you guys may not have seen if you've not seen Big Trouble in Little China.

I had seen it before, just that it was so long ago that I barely remembered anything about it apart from the 3 guys in the straw hats.

Just because you're wearing a suit doesn't mean you're not a bogan.

That's what I feel when I'm in Sydney. Suit bogans everywhere.

Boganism isn't racist.

Yeah, it's multi-cultural. White bogans are bad, but asians trying hard to be bogans are worse. Saw heaps of non-whites with flags and whatnot today. Do they even know what they are celebrating?

Axiom

I've been looking to make little Lego minifigs of the lady and I for Valentine's Day. I've got a good idea of what bits I need to mix and match, but is there a better way to get the parts outside of ebay?

as an adjunct to the discussion of 80's awesomeness this past week.

-Blood Dragon is my surprise of the last year. I've never been a big fan of Far Cry (I had the 1st one on PC and didn't care too much for it, had the OG Xbox one and liked that one and picked up FC2 and deleted it after about an hour). FC3's setting story and characters did not appeal to me in any way. Douche-bro plus dubstep plus The Beach (that's how it comes off to me). Kickpuncher-The Game is so great.

Great way to maximize the use of assets without it feeling recycled (The Eternal Night but not shit) and a really smart way to try out a new IP. I hope they do more with it, even if I have to wait six months after Far Cry 4. It's also incredibly funny.
"Release the Man-Kraken! Wait, why are you fools laughing?"

It proves setting is important. It proves actual humour instead of just plain sarky wank that drags down so many of the games we get from from Montreal. It proves that I needed a fun shooter fix after Ghosts and BF4 were let downs in different ways (I'm not touching another KZ unless its 'free' on PS+).

and also, I basically played for a big chunk of yesterday and I'm almost finished the story- they rely on the sides to fill it out but I'm enjoying them as well.

r1chard

White bogans are bad, but asians trying hard to be bogans are worse. Saw heaps of non-whites with flags and whatnot today. Do they even know what they are celebrating?
WAT

Took my girl to the Whitehorse fireworks last night. Great show - first time either of us had seen it up close (previously she was too young to stay up and I'd only seen the occasional flash from the back deck of the old house). So many people though. Crazy.

Danoss

I've been looking to make little Lego minifigs of the lady and I for Valentine's Day. I've got a good idea of what bits I need to mix and match, but is there a better way to get the parts outside of ebay?

I believe BrickLink is what you're looking for. Plenty of Aussie settlers to be found there.

jambo

White bogans are bad, but asians trying hard to be bogans are worse. Saw heaps of non-whites with flags and whatnot today. Do they even know what they are celebrating?

bbij4rb.gif

jambo

Also, happy Straya Day!

Listened to the Hottest 100 yesterday, only recognised a handful of songs, but unlike all you 'orrible cunts I actually enjoyed a lot of it. Keen to check out a few new bands.

Fredescu

I'm growing to strongly dislike the use of the term bogan. It's very elitist. I haven't put a lot of thought into that yet though, so I might be just being an idiot.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm growing to strongly dislike the use of the term bogan. It's very elitist. I haven't put a lot of thought into that yet though, so I might be just being an idiot.

It's really just our word for redneck. There's a specific stereotype around it however I don't believe it's really used in an elite way.

Fredescu

Yep, I would consider redneck to be an elitist term for the same (tenuous) reasons. It seems like they're both about alienating less educated people.

Dead Man

Yep, I would consider redneck to be an elitist term for the same (tenuous) reasons. It seems like they're both about alienating less educated people.

Less educated =/= bogan. Hateful small minded fuck with no interest in getting more educated = bogan. An ignorant person who has an interest in learning and some compassion and empathy is not a bogan, I am friends with a few rough bastards, but they are good people.

I appreciate this is not a universal definition.

Fredescu

I am friends with a few rough bastards, but they are good people.
Dollars to donuts they've been branded bogans by a few sneering individuals in their lives. Which is part of where I'm coming from. If you want to argue that it is a valid term once you know a persons full background and character, you might have a point. I would argue that it is rarely used in this way.

Dead Man

Dollars to donuts they've been branded bogans by a few sneering individuals in their lives. Which is part of where I'm coming from. If you want to argue that it is a valid term once you know a persons full background and character, you might have a point. I would argue that it is rarely used in this way.

I don't think you need to know a person full background and character, just know if they are spouting racist, bigoted, homophobic, hateful shit. If yes, then bogan, if no, then okcer.

This seems appropriate after yesterdays discussions
am-i-out-of-touch-no-its-the-children-who-are-wrong.jpg

If Triple J played more Arctic Monkeys and less Lorde and Vince Fucking Joy I might listen to it again. :/
Really? They played the ever loving shit out of the latest album. Still here it once or twice a day at this point too.

Though after only hearing half of one song I'm absolutely sure Haim are godawful.
dfhgxha86vdui1.gif

What do you have against female indie bands? They make great music with a good amount of variety, Days Are Gone was one of the best albums of the year. I guess they are kinda Fleetwood Mac-ish so that might put people off.

If I Could Change Your Mind is my favourite track off the album.

Australia Day? Not everyone is born here dude, doesn't mean they are barred from celebrating living in a pretty awesome country!*

*At least it's the one day we can enjoy our life here, leave the complaining for every other day of the year. That's what I do and it certainly helps to not be a depressed shell of a creature for once in a while.

Also I hope Survival Day takes over from Invasion Day. Much more constructive term that raises awareness rather than puts up aggressive barriers. Had many good chats yesterday with peoples of all walks of life about their struggles and their heritage due to the term popping up in the media.

This seems appropriate after yesterdays discussions
am-i-out-of-touch-no-its-the-children-who-are-wrong.jpg

Third time I've seen this today! lol
It's a great use of the quote.

Be81D0bCIAAwUU4.png:large

THE LEFTIST GAY LOBBY, THE TRUE PEDOPHILES

Haha 'the church in general is copping the scandal full on'
Please tell me at least one person replied mentioning the overwhelming maleness of the Church.

House of Cards is amazing.

I thought it started with a bang and sustained that level for a few episodes before declining a little bit in the middle of the season and picking up again towards the end. It was a fun ride. The season 2 trailer is intense.

I only listened to about a quarter of the Hottest 100 through the day but I enjoyed most of what I heard.

Guess my resolution for 2014 should be to try and become more of a grumpy old man.

Wait, The Drones didn't get a single song in the Hottest 100? For shame Australia. Also Violent Soho should have been higher.

House of Cards is amazing.

I've only just started watching it, I'm like six episodes in. My one complaint is that everyone in the show is a major league jerk. I don't sympathise with any of them. Except maybe the Herald's White House correspondent

senahorse

The Thing is Carpenter's best work and the finest horror film ever made.

Amazing movie, though I would stop short of putting it on a pedestal, not because it doesn't deserve it but because it's from an era of many amazing horror movies such as The Fly (86 remake) and Alien which I think are equally deserving.

Quasar

I'm growing to strongly dislike the use of the term bogan. It's very elitist.

I hate it quite a bit too. Part of it being how its just used as a negative terms for those folks who don't live in the urban enclaves of the capital cities (esp Sydney and Melbourne), especially those in lower socio economic groups.

Of course I've also come to loathe 'Chav', which I guess is used in the same way.

Amazing movie, though I would stop short of putting it on a pedestal, not because it doesn't deserve it but because it's from an era of many amazing horror movies such as The Fly (86 remake) and Alien which I think are equally deserving.

There are a lot of things I love about The Thing. I would probably say it's one of the smartest films in the genre. By which I mean that it feels like there is a full cast of believable characters, who act in believable ways. Sometimes logical, sometimes driven purely by emotions, but there isn't one scene out of place. Sometimes we don't realize what the character's motivation is until we stop and put some thought into it, or until later in the movie (e.g. when the guy starts smashing up the radios and stranding everybody on the base). The characters catch on to what is going on almost as quickly as the audience does, and there are hardly any horror tropes going on beyond the isolated environment. I don't need to talk about the monster itself which is one of the most interesting (even if unrealistic).

The only scene I would change if I was remaking it is the one with the stupidly advanced computer that tells the doctor what's going on.

Jintor

I saw rune factory 4 on my friend's US 3ds today. I fiddled with it for a few minutes and thought about how much I hate region locking.

Fucking region locking

Shaneus

There are a lot of things I love about The Thing. I would probably say it's one of the smartest films in the genre. By which I mean that it feels like there is a full cast of believable characters, who act in believable ways. Sometimes logical, sometimes driven purely by emotions, but there isn't one scene out of place. Sometimes we don't realize what the character's motivation is until we stop and put some thought into it, or until later in the movie (e.g. when the guy starts smashing up the radios and stranding everybody on the base). The characters catch on to what is going on almost as quickly as the audience does, and there are hardly any horror tropes going on beyond the isolated environment. I don't need to talk about the monster itself which is one of the most interesting (even if unrealistic).
You've pretty much described the vast majority of John Carpenter's movies. Which is in no way a bad thing... it's what I love about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom