• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
The feeling when you want to talk to someone so much and they don't want you to talk to them and jumping whenever your device lights up to look at it and it just being emails is really not fun.

Runonsentenceahoy.

also fc3's best weapon is the bow, real talk.

Rahk

So I'll now be able to use the Opal card and working out the cost it's going to save me $14.68 per week because I travel during off-peak. Pretty good!

Fusebox

Banned
I don't think I phrased that correctly. I meant asians dressed up in australia day gear being bogan on the roads. When asked about the significance of straya day, most thought it's something like the 4th of july. Some were like, "Aboriginals, what are they?".

Where can I see these interviews?

The attitude that anyone doing anything remotely patriotic on Australia Day must be a bogan is moronic and elitist. Stay at home on Australia Day if you're so scared of flags and kangaroos.

Shaneus

The feeling when you want to talk to someone so much and they don't want you to talk to them and jumping whenever your device lights up to look at it and it just being emails is really not fun.
Distractions, how do they work? Find a good game to sink your teeth into on your phone :)

Damn I haven't been paying attention. The Australian dollar hasn't been high for a long time hey
Only just noticed trying to buy a kindle.

senahorse

There are a lot of things I love about The Thing. I would probably say it's one of the smartest films in the genre. By which I mean that it feels like there is a full cast of believable characters, who act in believable ways. Sometimes logical, sometimes driven purely by emotions, but there isn't one scene out of place. Sometimes we don't realize what the character's motivation is until we stop and put some thought into it, or until later in the movie (e.g. when the guy starts smashing up the radios and stranding everybody on the base). The characters catch on to what is going on almost as quickly as the audience does, and there are hardly any horror tropes going on beyond the isolated environment. I don't need to talk about the monster itself which is one of the most interesting (even if unrealistic).

The only scene I would change if I was remaking it is the one with the stupidly advanced computer that tells the doctor what's going on.

Thanks for your detailed explanation, often the best horror movies aren't so much about the monster but more so it's effect on the people involved. I can't argue with any of that, only agree. The Thing is an amazing film, unfortunately most modern horror movies pale in comparison. As an aside, did you watch the 2011 The Thing? It by no means should be compared to John Carpenter's movie, but I did like how
for most of the movie I thought it was just a modern remake, until the final moments, when you realise it was made as a prequel, it was a nice touch (but those god awful effects)

Deeku

I saw rune factory 4 on my friend's US 3ds today. I fiddled with it for a few minutes and thought about how much I hate region locking.

Fucking region locking
are those games supposed to be any good? they always seem real cruddy lookin to me:/

Dead Man

Fuck this weather. I think I have decided I will be moving to a different city this year, the summers here are fucking killing me.

Urge to buy a X1...... falling.....

MS took Black Tusk, a brand new studio of industry veterans, killed off their new IP which was meant to be a spy game (possibly like old school Splinter Cell) to force them to make a Gears of War game.

They also parachuted Rod Fergusson into the studio, which fucking sucks as he had just started up a new studio at Take 2 recently. Take 2 are well known for being completely hands off and letting their teams take their own creative directions, regardless of how long it takes (Spec Ops The Line, GTA series, Bioshock Infinite, etc).

So fucking sad. Could have been 2 fantastic new IP started up, now we get another Gears of War instead.

also fc3's best weapon is the bow, real talk.
Real talk indeed. No one will argue with that.

Same with Tomb Raider and basically any game with a bow recently lol

Damn I haven't been paying attention. The Australian dollar hasn't been high for a long time hey
Only just noticed trying to buy a kindle.
Yeah even the Kiwi's are almost caught up! Fucking madness!

I wish, but finding new good games on the app store is horrible.
Colosatron is a pretty good timewaster. Not as great a game as Fruit Ninja or Jetpack Joyride but it was plenty of content to mindlessly destroy. Holds your attention quite well.

As an aside, did you watch the 2011 The Thing? It by no means should be compared to John Carpenter's movie, but I did like how
for most of the movie I thought it was just a modern remake, until the final moments, when you realise it was made as a prequel, it was a nice touch (but those god awful effects)
Also dat MEW. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It was pretty good. Not bad, not great, just consumable.

Rewatched AvP last night with the RedLetterMedia commentary. Still a waste of time, no real enjoyment out of it. Also the commentary was a bust, I think there were only one or two good moments in it. They didn't go into the backstory of the film much other than the stuff everyone already knows and made a few mistakes to boot. Just seemed phoned in without much work done before the recording. Eh. Was only a dollar. They deserve more from me anyway.

MS took Black Tusk, a brand new studio of industry veterans, killed off their new IP which was meant to be a spy game (possibly like old school Splinter Cell) to force them to make a Gears of War game.

They also parachuted Rod Fergusson into the studio, which fucking sucks as he had just started up a new studio at Take 2 recently. Take 2 are well known for being completely hands off and letting their teams take their own creative directions, regardless of how long it takes (Spec Ops The Line, GTA series, Bioshock Infinite, etc).

So fucking sad. Could have been 2 fantastic new IP started up, now we get another Gears of War instead.

The Black Tusk trailer looked hells generic though. I mean "man scales building and cocks gun" doesn't exactly get my motor running. I'd prefer a decent GoW game to that dull-ness.
It'd want to be rad though. GoW3 was awesome but Judgement was pretty ho-hum. Give it time and make it awesome though. (Won't happen)

And in the Gaming thread it said Ferguson had been making Mafia 3, which isn't a new IP. And the previous two Mafia games had been pretty shite to start with. So no big loss.

The Black Tusk trailer looked hells generic though. I mean "man scales building and cocks gun" doesn't exactly get my motor running. I'd prefer a decent GoW game to that dull-ness.
It'd want to be rad though. GoW3 was awesome but Judgement was pretty ho-hum. Give it time and make it awesome though. (Won't happen)

And in the Gaming thread it said Ferguson had been making Mafia 3, which isn't a new IP. And the previous two Mafia games had been pretty shite to start with. So no big loss.

The Black Tusk teaser was a teaser, not a trailer! It was just a mock up so MS could say they have a new studio. Not sure how you can say a game is "dull" just by a quick mock up for a logo.

Gears 3 was good but not great. The story was a fucking mess but at least the art was back on track after the blandness of Gears 2.
I still haven't cracked open Judgement. Seems a lot of people skipped it.

Also Mafia 1 & 2 were awesome, I thought they were quite well respected? People seem to talk about them on here nicely. The combat was fan-fucking-tastic. Especially with how messy GTA4 was in that regard.

Stackboy

I was pretty prepared for the Hottest 100 to be awful, but I enjoyed most of it. Had a few songs in there I voted for (QOTSA, Violent Soho). Totally cool with Vance Joy getting number one, because I was worried Lorde would get number one and I really hate her.

Dead Man

BOM says 24.6 at the moment in Brisbane, 36.8 Melbourne, and 42.5 Adelaide. Fuck this shit.

Edit: Hobart is 37.1. Record setting days down there. ;)

The Black Tusk teaser was a teaser, not a trailer! It was just a mock up so MS could say they have a new studio. Not sure how you can say a game is "dull" just by a quick mock up for a logo.

Gears 3 was good but not great. The story was a fucking mess but at least the art was back on track after the blandness of Gears 2.
I still haven't cracked open Judgement. Seems a lot of people skipped it.

Also Mafia 1 & 2 were awesome, I thought they were quite well respected? People seem to talk about them on here nicely. The combat was fan-fucking-tastic. Especially with how messy GTA4 was in that regard.

You know, in some ways you and I are very different people rep.

I loved 3, probably my favourite in the series. I'd like to see the horror side from 1 come back in any future games, but the over the top action-ness of it has a certain charm I enjoyed. Judgement was pretty fun, not a world changer but still a decent game. I feel like it gets unfairly maligned.

The Mafia games always bored me to tears. I played 2 a bunch and I liked it but wouldn't write home about how fantastic it was. Just a standard, dime a dozen enjoyable game. But my point was it wasn't a new IP from 2K.

The Black Tusk teaser (fine!) made me think they can do tech but the setting was boring as hell. If you're making a teaser you can do whatever you like with it ala Samaritan or 1313. Instead they made it look like a cookie-cutter special ops game. Yawn. At least GoW is a cool setting with the potential for more fun.

I don't know. I agree I would like to see more new IPs, but that's mostly curiosity speaking. If its the new IP was just the teaser then I don't feel like it was as big of a loss as it could have been.
I am now expecting for the new IP to be released and blow the world's collective socks off

Shaneus

Fucking sucks.

PS. New Archer when we get home from work tonight :D

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Alright, so I'll be in Melbourne next weekend. Pirateking and I have made plans to say hi on the Sunday (9th). Anyone else interested in saying hi? I'm looking at you Holy. I'm invoking the Ausgaf rule and whatnot

Weather update from BrisGAF: It's lovely.

Actually it's kind of rainy and a bit shithouse. Beats outrageous heat of course.

This weekend I have a past life regression hypnosis session. Should be interesting. I'm not at all convinced of past lives, and even more dubious about the validity of information obtained under hypnosis. That said, I've always wanted to be hypnotised and I'm looking forward to whatever stories I concoct.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Alright, so I'll be in Melbourne next weekend. Pirateking and I have made plans to say hi on the Sunday (9th). Anyone else interested in saying hi? I'm looking at you Holy. I'm invoking the Ausgaf rule and whatnot

and my axe

(unless boardgames happen. I dont know whats happening yet)

Lorde is everything that is wrong with Triple J at the moment. Pop music that was bound to get played on commercial stations from the get go.

She's okay. Just kind of... bland.

For poppy female vocalist types doing the rounds at the moment Sky Ferraira is much more interesting.

Deeku

It depends what you like really. If you're into the niche you're into the niche, you know?
I've never looked too deeply into them but "Harvest Moon plus dungeon crawler" always sounded neat to me and people seem to like them.
hmmm so after checking out some stuff on the 3ds game, it looks half interesting! i hate the art tho, which is why i've kind of ignored the series in the past.

r1chard

Took the girl down to Edithvale beach this morning to experience the surf (it was actually quite windy). First time she's been swimming in the sea (that she remembers) and we were there from about 9:30 to 12:30. Had a blast. Literally, sand blasted. Still, was a lot of fun in the sun. And we've spent the rest of the day playing Starbound in my airconditioned unit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom