• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cool change will be a little too late for my purposes. :(

I go to a monthly group (http://www.bi-alliance.org/) and since it isn't held in Decembers and it's too hot tonight, it will be three months between visits at this rate. Also it will also be too hot/excessively-violet on Sunday for me to go to the midsumma march.

EDIT: Another opportunity to get to the group tonight presents itself!

Arksy

If Arctic Monkeys are old school, I must he old, old, old school. I had to hit up youtube to hear most of the top 10 for the first time! Nice to see Something for Kate, Empire of the Sun and Queens and The Preatures and London Grammar are quite good. Though after only hearing half of one song I'm absolutely sure Haim are godawful.

I also like all the bands you listed. Something for Kate are one of my favourites. Didn't realise they rated.

Took the girl down to Edithvale beach this morning to experience the surf (it was actually quite windy). First time she's been swimming in the sea (that she remembers) and we were there from about 9:30 to 12:30. Had a blast. Literally, sand blasted. Still, was a lot of fun in the sun. And we've spent the rest of the day playing Starbound in my airconditioned unit :)

i like the edithvale beach
better than shitty st kilda

I would've thought if any random beer measurement was standard it'd be the imperial pint. Everyone's at least heard of and can agree what it is!

Dryk

Ugh it's too hot to try to play a game that isn't drawing me in that much. You may have to go on the backburner Torchlight.

Kritz

Banned
Bush fires happening at the moment. Smoke is cover all of Hobart and Greater Hobart. Sadness.

It's a relatively small fire, though, right?

Whenever there's high winds and fires around greater Hobart, the cbd and outlying areas just get plastered by smoke. Not too great for asthma.

You know, in some ways you and I are very different people rep.
I know, it's awesome to hear different people's taste in games. Different horses for courses of course!

I loved 3, probably my favourite in the series. I'd like to see the horror side from 1 come back in any future games, but the over the top action-ness of it has a certain charm I enjoyed. Judgement was pretty fun, not a world changer but still a decent game. I feel like it gets unfairly maligned.
3 was interesting enough to keep my attention but I still felt like the formula had been improved by other games (although the complete lack of active-reload clones is mindblowing) and the minor improvements felt slightly behind what I wanted to see from the franchise after the huge disappointment of Gears 2.

The atmosphere was great in the first game, even ignoring the slight nods to the horror genre. Stuff like the dank, pounding rain or the industrial train yard felt a bit more lived in than the following games for some reason. Although it's really hard to nail that again with Gears 3 since it skipped forward to such a different style of story. Moved along a bit too quick, although there were some nice touches with the side characters.

I think I'm just tired of the characters. And the stop'n'pop gameplay (which is also my least fav part of Uncharted). The things they did to try and mix it up (vehicles/turrets) weren't enjoyable. Hope they try a different direction this time.

The Mafia games always bored me to tears. I played 2 a bunch and I liked it but wouldn't write home about how fantastic it was. Just a standard, dime a dozen enjoyable game. But my point was it wasn't a new IP from 2K.
I was under the impression they were to help get it under control, cutting their teeth while getting into pre-production on their own project?

I guess the Mafia games were enjoyable in how much the presentation took from classic mobster movies, like Goodfellas. They are some of my favourite movies so the cinematic qualities of Mafia 2 was delicious to me. Absolutely stunning looking game when it came out too. The changing seasons (and locales) were delicious.
The narrative, focused approach was a nice contrast to the Godfather games which were mainly about building up an empire rather than a coherent and engaging story. I liked that approach, not many games go for it (LA Noire attempted it later, for example).

The Black Tusk teaser (fine!) made me think they can do tech but the setting was boring as hell. If you're making a teaser you can do whatever you like with it ala Samaritan or 1313. Instead they made it look like a cookie-cutter special ops game. Yawn. At least GoW is a cool setting with the potential for more fun.
Eh, the BT teaser was slapped together super fast. We see that all the time, look at the Uncharted teaser. Sony just wanted to say, "WE OWN THIS SHIT SO SUCK ON THAT FANBOYS" in the same way MS wanted to say, "WE MADE A STUDIO THIS TIME, HAVEN"T CLOSED THIS ONE YET!!!?!".

Hell even look at the Dead Island teaser. That was nothing like the game lol

If I was at work it would be ok. Stay inside working all day. At home, entertaining a 3 year old and 2 week old is much tougher.
Heart goes out to you dude, that would be fucking tough. Hard enough to come home to a 3 year old atm!

This weekend I have a past life regression hypnosis session. Should be interesting. I'm not at all convinced of past lives, and even more dubious about the validity of information obtained under hypnosis. That said, I've always wanted to be hypnotised and I'm looking forward to whatever stories I concoct.
That sounds cool! Make sure to fill us in on how it goes. Hope you were some cool dude in Egypt. That would be my choice :)

Lorde is everything that is wrong with Triple J at the moment. Pop music that was bound to get played on commercial stations from the get go.
JJJ was playing Lorde a long time before she hit the mainstream though.
Need to remember she was a 15 year old high schooler when her first EP was recorded.

Also she sounds nothing like whats get played on mainstream radio lol

hey Sydney

hey

you are allowed to serve pints

thanks
It's amazing the amount of places in Brisbane that don't either. It's equally ironic when they are "beer bars". Case in point the embassy and archive.
Lol @ the thought of you ordering a pint in adelaide.

cx41gvxi4b5h.gif

The simple solution is to abolish both the schooner and the pint and then standardise a midpoint "half litre" glass across the country. We're not silly imperial system users, our beer should be in glorious metric units and you weirdos holding on to the pint are holding us back.

Omikron

The simple solution is to abolish both the schooner and the pint and then standardise a midpoint "half litre" glass across the country. We're not silly imperial system users, our beer should be in glorious metric units and you weirdos holding on to the pint are holding us back.
advocating for a smaller size portion. how anti consumer are you exactly?

Mondy

Banned
For any of my fellow AusGaffers that are gonna be getting into the PC beta for Titanfall, this is my Origin I.D:

MondyofWar

I would love to be able to play with you guys.

568ML OR BUST

DONT DISRESPECT THE MOTHERLAND YOU ARSEHOLES

>_<

Yo rep, I will be visiting your town very soon. Can you recommend a decent place for the night?

Anything with a spa under $100 bucks would be awesome :)

Hmmm not really lol

I live here, I don't get hotels!

I know a few decent places in Geelong though!

Should be able to pickup a spa room for under $100 if you keep an eye on Wotif. Midcity was really nice when we had our wedding there ages ago, they have updated the place though so no idea how it is now.

I'll ask around tomorrow!

Maß or bust.

I think many places do pints as 500ish mL anyway don't they?

I was kidding about the spa. Just need a decent motel for the night. Since you recommended a good one for Portland last time, I thought you might know some in your own town.

Schooners are better. By the time you finish a pint the beers about 45 degrees. Ponies are also awesome. But I'm pretty sure you have to be in your mid-70s and a regular at a bowls club to fully enjoy them

Gazunta

I made a comic about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with the Surface Pro 2. Kinda happy with how it turned out.

Which one is the best Pokémon, X or Y? Someone at work has bought Y so I gueesssss I'll get X just to encourage more game playing around here. Haven't really played a Pokémon game since it was my job. I think I'm ready to return to my own private Vietnam.

Dead Man

SA should never have deviated from the standard measure for a pint or schooner. That said, the smaller sizes have stupid names interstate, so it's all about even.

Hey Victoria, you getting jealous of QLD?

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...t-bill-is-a-threat-to-our-freedom-of-assembly

Next week, Victoria’s government is expected to attempt to pass a piece of deeply anti-democratic legislation which would massively increase the ability of police forces to "move on" workers and activists engaged in peaceful protests, pickets and demonstrations. If passed, it would be a substantial blow to freedom of expression and freedom of assembly.

The proposed bill creates a new scheme of “exclusion orders” which could potentially be used to ban individuals or groups from public spaces for up to 12 months. Contravention would carry a penalty of two years imprisonment. Under the new proposals, an oral direction to "move on" would apply to an entire group of people, even if not given to each member of the group in person. The legislation would also require that people must give police their name and address when faced with a "move on" direction. The bill suggests failure to comply with a police request would result in a penalty of $600.

Drink faster?
No.

Beer's served too cold in Australia anyway.
Depends on the type of beer. Some beers should be served icey, others just cold. Here is a lost of all beers to be served hot. End of list
SA should never have deviated from the standard measure for a pint or schooner. That said, the smaller sizes have stupid names interstate, so it's all about even.

Hey Victoria, you getting jealous of QLD?

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...t-bill-is-a-threat-to-our-freedom-of-assembly
WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE VICTORIA? CRAZY RIGHT WING REFORMS ARE THE EXCLUSIVE TERRITORY OF QUEENSLAND.
And the federal government, obviously

Dryk

Which one is the best Pokémon, X or Y? Someone at work has bought Y so I gueesssss I'll get X just to encourage more game playing around here. Haven't really played a Pokémon game since it was my job. I think I'm ready to return to my own private Vietnam.
It all comes down to which legendary and Mega Evolutions you prefer. You can easily trade for everything else and you can even trade the version exclusive Mega Stones and legendary its just less likely.

716.png
VS
717.png

006-mx.png
VS
006-my.png

127-m.png
VS
214-m.png

150-mx.png
VS
150-my.png

248-m.png
VS
306-m.png

310-m.png
VS
229-m.png

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
My phones predictive text will help us all understand the difficult choice that was X or Y.

BLUECHARIZARDORSEAHORSE?????????

Stackboy

I'm pretty keen for Titanfall on PC. Looks like it has that UT feel and ROBOTS.

You guys complain too much about beer. Just enjoy it.

jambo

I'm pretty keen for Titanfall on PC. Looks like it has that UT feel and ROBOTS.

You guys complain too much about beer. Just enjoy it.

UT feel?

Hah, that's a good one.

All of the footage so far is CoD with jetpacks, nothing at all like UT.

It's still all iron sights, slow to a crawl when you aim and then just spray gameplay of the previous series.

So my wife purchased a Samsung Note 3 in October 2013 (around three months ago) and about 2 weeks ago it stopped working. The phone was in her handbag and when she pulled it out to use it the screen was black but the buttons still worked etc, so it wasn't fully dead but it was obviously unusable. So we sent it in for repair and we were advised that it would be free as it's under warranty, as it should be.

So we get an email letting us know the status of the repair and we check the website...wtf...

Hey are saying that it was due to physical damage and that they will be charging a $272.64 fee for the repair, if we decline then they charge a $33 inspection fee plus $16.50 freight costs.

This was the technicians quote:

Technician Comment
CARRIED OUT TROUBLE SHOOTING AND FOUND - MAIN DISPLAY IS PHYSICALLY DAMAGED QUOTATION FOR LCD MODULE GH97-15209B MEA FRONT-OCTA ASSY(SVC/WHT) QFR01

What can be done about this?

lexi

Banned
It begins.

He's basically saying he wants the ABC to become a propaganda machine.

Mr Abbott also empathised with Hadley, who complained that he and fellow host Alan Jones "who lean a bit to the right"

GHAGHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH FUCK ME

So Sony still haven't sent me the promised 30 days of PS+ for buying a Vita.

I called their customer support last week and they put a ticket into their cabal to check my account that I linked a Vita with my SEN account in December (which takes 3 seconds to check) and email out the code.

Since then. Nothing.

Today I get an email from Sony asking me to do a survey for feedback on their customer service.

I HAVENT BEEN FUCKING SERVED YET IDIOTS!

How can I give feedback when you haven't even attempted to fix my issue!

That makes no sense!

Their twitter accounts have completely ignored me. Looks like the only way to get a response will be to call up, again, and see if they can be bothered discussing it with me properly this time.

It was an advertised fucking deal. Why can't they just honour it? There has been constant complaints about Sony trying to avoid giving out the 30 day codes from people angry they bought a Vita and are forced to continually call up customer support to try and get what they are owed.

If they don't resolve my issue tomorrow when I call up I'll be going straight to the ACCC.

Shaneus

So Sony still haven't sent me the promised 30 days of PS+ for buying a Vita.

I called their customer support last week and they put a ticket into their cabal to check my account that I linked a Vita with my SEN account in December (which takes 3 seconds to check) and email out the code.

Since then. Nothing.

Today I get an email from Sony asking me to do a survey for feedback on their customer service.

I HAVENT BEEN FUCKING SERVED YET IDIOTS!

How can I give feedback when you haven't even attempted to fix my issue!

That makes no sense!

Their twitter accounts have completely ignored me. Looks like the only way to get a response will be to call up, again, and see if they can be bothered discussing it with me properly this time.

It was an advertised fucking deal. Why can't they just honour it? There has been constant complaints about Sony trying to avoid giving out the 30 day codes from people angry they bought a Vita and are forced to continually call up customer support to try and get what they are owed.

If they don't resolve my issue tomorrow when I call up I'll be going straight to the ACCC.
ACCC probably won't be able to do shit. See: When my account got hacked.

At least you aren't out ~$60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom