• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahk

All these games in my Steam account, including backlog, and nothing I actually want to play (that I've not already played to death). The early release games have been played, and I'm holding off playing them more until they get more game. I've just 99%'ed Tomb Raider (NFI how I'm supposed to get that last 1% as I've 100%'ed the map, got all the XP and all the weapon mods). The only stuff lying about in my unplayed backlog is strategy games and right now I just want to shoot shit. Where the hell is Just Cause 3? Ugh.
</first-world-problems>
Not sure if you care to do it, but the last 1% would be at Cliffside Bunker. You can't fast travel there so it doesn't show up on the map.

r1chard

Not sure if you care to do it, but the last 1% would be at Cliffside Bunker. You can't fast travel there so it doesn't show up on the map.
Curse my obsessive-compulsive nature, but yep, it was in there. Stupid bloody game. I AM DONE WITH YOU NOW! SEE ME MOVE ON!!!!

Deeku

I survived, but barely! Was really fun, but yeah, mah legs ;___;

I didn't really take many photos cos I figured I'd probably do this semi regularly but...

phtot2ohshl.jpg

we basically broke all the rules. so naturally we were almost attacked by a monkey lol! like, as in it was totally getting ready to pounce...

View across Kowloon side (i think) of HK with random bystander. We're on top of the Lion Rock, it was some serious climbing. But I guess the payoff was pretty nice.

Rahk

Awesome, deek. You can climb a bigger one next time, if there are any nearby!

Now you've got me looking up hikes near Sydney...

:O There were monkeys?!?!

Pic looks great, but I'm sure it doesn't do it justice.

I definitely recommend the bushwalks around the Royal National Park. http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/Royal-National-Park/the-coast-track/walking

This is a joke right?
They're even worse on mobile. Embedded in the news feed. No way to get rid of them.

I've completely given up on FB's news feed, there's so much junk in it. I usually open it to chat with people, check events and nothing else.

People still use Facebook?

Bioshock infinite - $89.95.

It's currently free for US psn plus. My bet is that it will be free for Eu/Au in a month or two.
Nobody reads my posts :(

Jetpack Joyride is a free game on US psn, why the fuck are they charging for it on the AU store??
Halfbrick knows that Aussies are stupid and can get some extra money out of them? Not sure. Especially since creating a US account is free and easy.

r1chard

Just been watching Kevin McCloud's Man Made Home (up to s1e3) and wow, so much neat stuff in that. Now I want to make my own cabin off in the woods.

Also. Glenmorangie Original and chocolate. Mmm.

Watched it 2 nights ago. Gotta give credit to the music, that is the one and only thing that kept me going.
Yeah, it's certainly an acquired style of movie. Love that type of music though. The 70/80s John Carpenter style music was one of the reasons I loved the first Mass Effect so much.

Some other random movies you guys may be interested in (in no particular order, many aren't very good, no idea what you might've seen): Escape From New York, Willow, Legend, Highlander, Conan the Barbarian, Red Sonja, Starman, The Wraith, The Last Starfighter, The Breakfast Club, Krull, Top Secret, Real Genius, Porky's, Weird Science, Animal House.

If you liked anything about Big Trouble in Little China, at least watch other John Carpenter's stuff like Escape From New York. I'm not going to tell you which of those other suggestions are considered 'good', you should find out for yourselves if you've not heard of those films. Some of them are bordering on trollish suggestions.

Shaneus

Watched it 2 nights ago. Gotta give credit to the music, that is the one and only thing that kept me going.
Music was done by the same guy who did the movie. So... there you go.

Alright, AusGAF, you win. I'm watching Big Trouble in Little China. Again.
When you watch Big Trouble in Little China, everybody wins.

THEY LIVE

THE THING
I still haven't seen The Thing. I also want to watch Assault on Precinct 13 (the original one). If only because this song from a classic Amiga game rips the melody from it (and even acknowledges it, as the song's subtitle is "Hip Hop on Precinct 13".

And I still need to see Escape from New York in one sitting, too :/

And rewatch They Live... because it's fucking badass (and having seen it makes playing Driver SF that little bit more satisfying!).

Oh, and wasn't someone asking about the PSN freebies coming up and if we got Infinite or something?
gIIqDQk.jpg

Deeku

I'm not sure if there are bigger mountains, but the hike I did was just one stage out of 10. So if i decide to go super hardcore, I could do all 10 stages at once...which is 100kms lol!
:O There were monkeys?!?!
yeah, but they were more dangerous looking than cute unfortunately:/

Aww jeeze Malaysia sure is a place
shoulda swung by man!

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
The Thing is Carpenter's best work and the finest horror film ever made.

Is it horrible that it's the only horror movie I own (or have ever enjoyed) or is it a sign of my taste?

Edit: beat by seconds. SECONDS

r1chard

Omi, you linked to Bolt and I clicked it. You are bad and should feel bad.
As for the "she called him an ape because she's just an sweet little innocent and it's something she learned to do but it was all harmless except that whole perpetuating racism thing that Bolt would rather we just didn't care about" ugh... as for whether the guy should be given a You're A Great Aussie award I honestly don't know the selection criteria or really anything about the guy and it's not like Bolt is gonna present THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY FOR BALANCE so *shrug*. Just more Bolt defending his right to be a fucking racist cunt.

SurfersGAF (QldGAF/BrisGAF) advice please: I'm up at Surfers for a weekend in Feb with my daughter (10). We've got a wedding in the morning on Saturday and then lunch of undefined duration (though I think we can probably assume running until 2ish) and then we're free to do whatever. We fly back to Melbs 2pm on Sunday from Brisbane. Is it AusGAF's opinion that we should spend the $120 to get us both into Wet'n'wild for what would probably only be about 2.5 hours in the hottest part of the day when we should really be hiding our pale white Melbournian skin in the shade somewhere... or is there something better we could do maybe?

Goodes is Australian of the Year for having a public conversation about racism in a country that continues to brush it off.

Making him AotY raises the discussion again, which is a good thing since it's hard to say the original conversation has awakened peoples understanding as much as it could have done. People who brushed it off due to his position as a football player may take more notice since he has been given one of the highest honours this country can bestow.

r1chard

Goodes is Australian of the Year for having a public conversation about racism in a country that continues to brush it off.

Making him AotY raises the discussion again, which is a good thing since it's hard to say the original conversation has awakened peoples understanding as much as it could have done. People who brushed it off due to his position as a football player may take more notice since he has been given one of the highest honours this country can bestow.
The article in The Australian gives good coverage about the award (The Australian also awarded him joint Australian of the Year).
Funny how Bolt didn't mention any of that article's meat *except that one bit with the girl*.

SurfersGAF (QldGAF/BrisGAF) advice please: I'm up at Surfers for a weekend in Feb with my daughter (10). We've got a wedding in the morning on Saturday and then lunch of undefined duration (though I think we can probably assume running until 2ish) and then we're free to do whatever. We fly back to Melbs 2pm on Sunday from Brisbane. Is it AusGAF's opinion that we should spend the $120 to get us both into Wet'n'wild for what would probably only be about 2.5 hours in the hottest part of the day when we should really be hiding our pale white Melbournian skin in the shade somewhere... or is there something better we could do maybe?

not in surfers paradise gaf, but wet and wild is a fair way from surfers, I'd guess a hefty cab ride (not sure of bus timetables). It also has huge long lines so unless you go the hour before it closes (at 5pm, too), you'd spend most of that time in a queue. if you do go, take something to wear on your feet- concrete's hot.

Alternatives include Seaworld at Southport, Dreamworld at coomera (which is even further north) and has its own smaller waterpark adjoining it. There's also movieworld (which is next to wet and wild but has lots of rides for covered-up pasty victorians

Shaneus

We should start a new thread on his selection. Haven't had a good "hurr all Aussies are dem racist folk" argument for a while!

Omi, you linked to Bolt and I clicked it. You are bad and should feel bad.
As for the "she called him an ape because she's just an sweet little innocent and it's something she learned to do but it was all harmless except that whole perpetuating racism thing that Bolt would rather we just didn't care about" ugh... as for whether the guy should be given a You're A Great Aussie award I honestly don't know the selection criteria or really anything about the guy and it's not like Bolt is gonna present THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY FOR BALANCE so *shrug*. Just more Bolt defending his right to be a fucking racist cunt.

Bail on the theme park ideas, wouldn't be worth the money for the time you'd waste in line. My suggestion go the beach (put on loads of sunscreen) and get lunch/dinner at http://www.petersfish.com.au

Shaneus

Listening to 3AW, obviously all the presenters are on board (which is unusual, normally John-Michael Howson is so right-wing it's ridiculous) but the people calling up are obviously quite upset. Some stupid old bird didn't agree with the decision because of "how he yelled at that poor young girl".

Jesus christ. There's a certain type of racism that isn't going to die until these stupid, narrow-minded old people do.

r1chard

Bail on the theme park ideas, wouldn't be worth the money for the time you'd waste in line. My suggestion go the beach (put on loads of sunscreen) and get lunch/dinner at http://www.petersfish.com.au
Oh my! That looks awesome!

not in surfers paradise gaf, but wet and wild is a fair way from surfers, I'd guess a hefty cab ride (not sure of bus timetables). It also has huge long lines so unless you go the hour before it closes (at 5pm, too), you'd spend most of that time in a queue. if you do go, take something to wear on your feet- concrete's hot.

Alternatives include Seaworld at Southport, Dreamworld at coomera (which is even further north) and has its own smaller waterpark adjoining it. There's also movieworld (which is next to wet and wild but has lots of rides for covered-up pasty victorians
I'd forgotten about Seaworld! I can't quite justify spending $180 for both of us to get in for only a couple of hours though, so I think I might just give the theme parks a miss this trip. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom