• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
FLAWLESS INTERNET

uWLOrhM.jpg

Finished DD. Good show.
Didn't love the finale

tumblr_nmsp7xfMKd1usnr9to1_540.png

"Stoked for Avengers? Avengers? Avengers?
I hear Marvel got really hands-on this time and really penned in Joss Whedon creatively so, how could that go wrong?"

Quasar

My inner Amiga fanboy is pretty joyous seeing Shadow of the Beast again. And I like that it looks more like the art than the old games.

Whatever dude. I want an apology for the game literally not working on PC for 12 hours after "launch" and now only partially working because of a technical fuckup.

Why would they apologise for a typical PC port launch?

EDIT: Oh wait, High Voltage did the PC port? lol. No idea how those fucking hacks keep getting work. Outsource to fucking Nixxes or Bluepoint ffs.

senahorse

EDIT: Oh wait, High Voltage did the PC port? lol. No idea how those fucking hacks keep getting work. Outsource to fucking Nixxes or Bluepoint ffs.

Probably how much they charge, PC is usually treated like the bastard child that relies on the community to fix the games. The ports usually end up being significantly better than their console counterparts, just takes time.

edit:

While we are making fun of MKX, from Jeff Gerstmann's twitter:

CChuPqfUkAALWvu.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/587840969598373888

It's so stupid I can't even get mad.

Stackboy

Man. That new episode of the CO-OP videogame show has me feeling so nostalgic.

I watched it too, felt like a wonderful time warp!

MKX and NetherRealm are on the shitlist until they apologise for this unacceptable bullshit.

THIS is what is fucking up games. Redesigning your games to nickel and dime customers. Fuck you MKX. Fuck you WB.

I don't see the issue. If you don't want to unlock everything and are happy just playing the game, there isn't a problem. It's just alt costumes and things like that yeah? Feels like the internet is being a crybaby about this one. Will be grabbing MKX today.

I'm kind of on board with the new Guitar Hero Live that was just announced too.

Anyone else see that Splendor in the Grass lineup? Very nice!!

Why would they apologise for a typical

Games usually at least let you get into modes. For some people. This was literally the entire population of PC players downloading a 3GB menu and unable to do anything.

By the way, people are doing investigations themselves about the koin reduction issue and it seems to be untrue. The reduction was caused by repeating the same missions over again, you don't get as many koins the second time around.

Yagharek

Games usually at least let you get into modes. For some people. This was literally the entire population of PC players downloading a 3GB menu and unable to do anything.

By the way, people are doing investigations themselves about the koin reduction issue and it seems to be untrue. The reduction was caused by repeating the same missions over again, you don't get as many koins the second time around.

How good was it as far as menus go though? Pretty good huh?

Chill out dude. Wait for them to fix it. Stop being so entitled!

Yeah pretty funny it was reported by media and then 6 hours later is tested be gamers on here and found to be bunk eventually. I shouldn't be shocked by that I guess.

As if gamers wait for facts before being outraged!

Heh you obviously didn't check the link ;)

Both Crave and Destructoid were the ones reporting the issue that seems to be untrue, the GAF thread came from those games media reports

Shaneus

Amazing.

MKX and NetherRealm are on the shitlist until they apologise for this unacceptable bullshit.

THIS is what is fucking up games. Redesigning your games to nickel and dime customers. Fuck you MKX. Fuck you WB.
Holy shit. And I didn't even realise that wasn't the thing Gerstmann posted about unlocking easy fatalities, but some other nickel and dime bullshit. I expect (and encounter) it in their F2P iOS crap, but not for a full price game.

I'm guessing it'll get changed back, but that it was super easy for review copies but changed post-launch is deplorable. Can't imagine Netherrealm were behind this change, though.

Shadow of the Beast! hype, oh PS4 exclusive, hype deflated.
Ungh, yes. Don't care, I own a PS4. You should buy one as well.

They did? Shit. I thought that Netherrealm did it themselves. Didn't they do MK9 themselves?

Probably how much they charge, PC is usually treated like the bastard child that relies on the community to fix the games. The ports usually end up being significantly better than their console counterparts, just takes time.

edit:

While we are making fun of MKX, from Jeff Gerstmann's twitter:

CChuPqfUkAALWvu.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/587840969598373888

It's so stupid I can't even get mad.
Yeah, that's what I was initially talking about.

They did? Shit. I thought that Netherrealm did it themselves. Didn't they do MK9 themselves?

Nah High Voltage did that one too. They also did the wonky current gen port of SR4 & Injustice. They are well known for their ZoE collection on PS3 that required another developer to step in and fix.

Shaneus

Whoa, beard's coming along well!
To say I'm happy with how it looks is underrated. Even better is that the girlfriend doesn't hate it! Woo!

Nah High Voltage did that one too. They also did the wonky current gen port of SR4 & Injustice. They are well known for their ZoE collection on PS3 that required another developer to step in and fix.
Ohhhh. I didn't realise they did the next-gen SR4 which I knew was a complete turd. Why the fuck do they keep getting work?

Is the PC version fully working (yet) at least? Or are they hoping hacks come out to fix them? Hopefully at least trainers are released for unlocking the koin-related stuff. Can't believe MK went that way, it's by far my most hated F2P->full price feature bleed.

Ohhhh. I didn't realise they did the next-gen SR4 which I knew was a complete turd. Why the fuck do they keep getting work?

Is the PC version fully working (yet) at least? Or are they hoping hacks come out to fix them? Hopefully at least trainers are released for unlocking the koin-related stuff. Can't believe MK went that way, it's by far my most hated F2P->full price feature bleed.

They keep getting work because they are cheap I expect. Otherwise it would be Nixxes/Bluepoint all the way!

PC version of MKX is a shitshow as expected. Omi said there is no microDLC for it so I have no idea what they are doing about the "easy" mode stuff or the coin packs.
Glad they didn't nerf the coin payouts. Still NFI how games media ran with that for like 6 hours before gamers debunked it.

Shaneus

Wait, so the koin thing with the latest update is false? Still the same payouts?

Man, games these days are confusing. Give me pinball any day.

Also for more context on why I got kicked out.. well this is going look like a brag post now. But it's beyond ridiculous. I started going out with someone on Wednesday (because she lives interstate) we kind of maximized our time together in the past several days.. and Sunday was like our special final dinner date where we basically you-know.

Parents found out about our special date planned together and started freaking out. My mum then sent me this message on FB yesterday morning . I then discussed this with a friend on FB where I um basically said this was a really stupid message and there was no-way I was going follow her suggestion presuming anything happened between us on Sunday night. Somehow due to the fact I got a new phone, my parents had my old phone which was still tied to FB messenger.. they saw said-convos I had with my friend, and this monday evening they basically called me up and asked "How was the sex?" and then basically said I'm out of the house and never coming back ever.

Thank god I have a good support network of friends.

Sounds like your Mum is trying to spite you and come out looking like the good guy at the same time.

Unfortunately this comes down to a fundamental difference in ideology and how they view sex and relationships. In her eyes, sex is this tremendously dangerous thing that ruins lives and tarnishes souls unless engaged in under a very specific set of circumstances. Sixty years ago, she would have been absolutely correct to have these fears as the practical outcome of having premarital sex and it becoming known could be dire, befouling your good name within your community (albeit moreso if you were a woman). Worse still was having a child out of wedlock, which in some circles was (and in some cases remains) a stain that can never be overcome.

Society, however, isn't like that anymore. Sexual relationships are no longer conflated with lifelong commitment and having had sex no longer makes you damaged goods. In fact, it's gotten to the point where if you go in with that mindset, it can lead to a lonely life where you reject lots of perfectly suitable people because of their pasts and hold back what relationships you do have from developing because you are unilaterally holding it to what has become an arbitrary timeline.

Waiting until marriage only works if both parties agree that this is the best course of action. That limits your pool of potential partners to members of your religious circle, which I highly doubt is the best way of finding a mate, especially if you're of a nerdy cast and appeal to a narrow audience already.

Statements like "sex changes you", "sex attaches you to a person for life" etc. beg the question of whether or not a mystical bond between people that activates when they have sex actually exists. It seems to me that the emotional importance you attach to the act itself is key here. If sex is everything to you, then yeah, I could see how you could carry an unsatisfying tryst in the back of a VW beetle for life. If it's just a routine part of life, then I highly doubt your final thoughts on your deathbed will be with that ex girlfriend you had for like three months back in uni. To me, those statements are just ways of raising the stakes and scaring you away from having sex at all.

The "I want you to do things in the right order" thing seems pulled right out of the conversation my very religious mother had with me when I told her I was moving in with my girlfriend at the time. She predicted disaster. That girlfriend became Mrs Squirrel.

TL;DR - Sometimes parents are just flat out wrong and part of being an adult is recognising when that is and deciding your own path.

Yeah, I think everyone reaches the point where you realise your parents are just people and you need to move out to keep growing. Recently, coming back home after living abroad to my parents breaking up was kind of the tipping point for me. Everything is so petty and it's starting to feel like I live with housemates rather than parents.

It's sad laf, and I hope you're able to patch things up, but it seems like you've disagreed with them on a lot of things for a while now. Hopefully this is your chance to live the life you want to live (and move closer to Melbourne).

Nice! I love how you look way more enthusiastic about that medal than anyone else in the photo. It's a friggen medal! They should be excited about it!

So, in three weeks of my current Internode billing cycle, I have used 100 GB of unmetered downloads. No Steam or XBL so that's pretty much all Netflix. And I have only watched Daredevil and about half of Arrow S1.

I shudder to think what 4K would do if I had a fast, but metered, connection.

We're on the 1TB thing now.

We've used 11% of the data allowance in 17% of the time (5 days into the month currently according to our cycle). So it looks like we'll make it but damn. In fairness, 35GB of the 100GB so far has been Steam downloading Mortal Kombat X.

lolz

In know many on AusGAF are into board games, and I was wondering if there are any board game fairs where you can buy old board games? I'm looking to get my old Hero Quest expansions and Ebay isn't really ideal. There must be markets or whatever where you can buy/sell old board games?

Omikron

In know many on AusGAF are into board games, and I was wondering if there are any board game fairs where you can buy old board games? I'm looking to get my old Hero Quest expansions and Ebay isn't really ideal. There must be markets or whatever where you can buy/sell old board games?

Thing with Hero Quest is it has become weirdly collectable and sort after.

Board game cons do tend to have a trading area though, so worth keeping on eye out for a local con.

jambo

We're on the 1TB thing now.

We've used 11% of the data allowance in 17% of the time (5 days into the month currently according to our cycle). So it looks like we'll make it but damn. In fairness, 35GB of the 100GB so far has been Steam downloading Mortal Kombat X.

lolz

We're on 600 GB at the moment and when I downloaded GTA V, 58 of the 59 GB was unmetered.

I almost want it to be metered, as we are so far behind on using our quota. I always hate when there's a decent amount left over.

Shaneus

Nice! I love how you look way more enthusiastic about that medal than anyone else in the photo. It's a friggen medal! They should be excited about it!
Hah, it was a little bit of a pisstake/goof-off, but I figured "why not have some fun with it?".

I actually did way better than last year as well (from third or fourth last to sixth) so I was genuinely pretty happy with everything, but yeah, just me being a dork!

Found lite n easy good for a month or so, but the meals got so repetitive (didn't help that I only really liked about 7 of them), also it's way overpriced for what it is, even with the token 15%.

Ah cool, thanks for the info. Tempted in the past to give them a shot but we are writing up a better meal plan here rather than put our faith in a delivered service.

senahorse

Ah cool, thanks for the info. Tempted in the past to give them a shot but we are writing up a better meal plan here rather than put our faith in a delivered service.

Hey man, don't take my word for it, taste is subjective after all. Some people really like it, and it has the advantage of taking the guess work out of your meals which helps if you're trying to lose weight. But at $250/week for my gf and I, after we (really just me) got extra disciplined it really didn't make much sense. There are better (as in nicer) alternatives out there but they cost even more.

edit: My jive right now is a fitbit hr combined with myfitnesspal (mfp syncs with fitbit and vice versa) for keeping track of all the numbers, we even have a wifi fitbit weight scale which automatically syncs the data. Now that I have just started getting into riding a push bike soon I will have that data syncing with it all via strava as well. Connected future rocks for all this stuff :)

Jintor

I dunno how it is cooking for two, but assuming you have the time to cook and shop, as long as you write up a standard meal plan or have a good set of normal meals to fall back on doing all that shouldn't be too hard right?

Fredescu

The breakfasts and lunches are quite good in my experience. The dinners aren't that great but it's worth a shot if you're curious imo. Lifestyle change is better long term though of course.

What Heroquest expansions and where are you located. I bought a couple a few years ago because I liked the idea of having them but they have just sat in the cupboard since.

Yeah meal plan is the easiest way to get things going. Just need to stick to it lol.

Main issue has been stress management. I feel like if we could get that shit on lockdown everything else would be a piece of piss.

Still not sure if breakfast is for me or not. I can generally get through to noon without being hungry, portion control is another big thing we have to keep on top of.

Also fuck. I got DDP Yoga like 9 months ago and haven't done a full week of it yet. Really need to set aside time each day properly and stick to a timeline.

senahorse

I never used to eat breakfast, now I can't go without it, need that morning energy burst. In fact it's generally the biggest meal of the day for me calorie wise.

edit: for example, here's yesterday food:

food_zps5uti9f1l.png~original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom