• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Holy crap yes, cautiously optimistic but that last scene gave me goosebumps, damn :D

umSzUjp.gif

Ahh yes, star wars.

You can smell the optimism like it's 1998 all over again.
I think this is why I'm so cynical about the whole thing. That disappointment with the Special Editions, then the Prequels, and now JJ Abrams.

Also, tea talk - I drink a few cups of silver needle most weekdays. I make a cup in the morning and refill it with the same tea throughout the day. It's pretty mild in flavour, very low in caffeine.

Yagharek

A large portion of this message board wasn't even alive in 1998. Think about that Yag. This all makes so much sense now.

What shocks me is that all the defining games of the ps1 n64 era were half my life ago.

Or get this.

The best ever game soundtrack is still wipeout 2097. That came out nearly 20 years ago.

That's like when my parents talk about the beatles and elvis. I'm talking about FSOL, Orbital and Prodigy.

So how does rollerball R2D2 move up steps? What about slippery or wet surfaces? So many questions to answer :)

Looks good, this new Star Wars does.

Yagharek

I'm not saying it's in the magazine, but they've covered newer games already.

But buy the magazine anyway. Current issue has an interview with bitmap brothers developers on the original speedball.

MoonGred

I only just realised that upgrading to 4g was no use to me seeing as all I do is read Gaf. Why on earth did I sacrifice a gig of data for this.

On the topic of retro games, what was that ps one ninja game called again, all I remember about it is that it was an action platformer and had a purple ninja in it.

Yagharek

I only just realised that upgrading to 4g was no use to me seeing as all I do is read Gaf. Why on earth did I sacrifice a gig of data for this.

On the topic of retro games, what was that ps one ninja game called again, all I remember about it is that it was an action platformer and had a purple ninja in it.

I was going to say Tenchu but that character wore brown garb.

Not I Ninja, cos that was a ps2 era game.

MoonGred

Yea that's the one, I don't know if the game was bad or if I was just too young, but cheat codes really made the game.

Edit: tenchu was amazing, my mind was blown by the silly grappling hook. The portrait of the male ninja was so weird, he looked so old and malnourished.

Cheat codes, I still don't get how they got monetised and turned into micro transactions. Maybe we're all getting old.

jambo

Why did you have to sacrifice a gig of data to get 4G?

I lucked out with Optus recently, went from 1.5 -> 2.25 -> 3.25 GB of data over the past 12 months, each time without signing a new contract or extending my current one.

senahorse

Yea that's the one, I don't know if the game was bad or if I was just too young, but cheat codes really made the game.

Edit: tenchu was amazing, my mind was blown by the silly grappling hook. The portrait of the male ninja was so weird, he looked so old and malnourished.

Cheat codes, I still don't get how they got monetised and turned into micro transactions. Maybe we're all getting old.

Perfect thing to monetize I guess, it has been happening for a few years already and I only expect it to get worse. At least on PC you can use cheat engine if you want to use cheats. Remember action replay and the like, are they still a thing for console games?

Why did you have to sacrifice a gig of data to get 4G?

I lucked out with Optus recently, went from 1.5 -> 2.25 -> 3.25 GB of data over the past 12 months, each time without signing a new contract or extending my current one.

I hate this saying, UK version means a bad thing, US version means a good thing, urgh.

MoonGred

Remember action replay and the like, are they still a thing for console games?

I never understood how these things worked, and weren't they very limited in use, seeing as they would only support games prior to the device release?
I used to buy French cheat codes books and half the time I didn't even know what the cheat code did. Good times.

Shaneus

I'm not saying it's in the magazine, but they've covered newer games already.

But buy the magazine anyway. Current issue has an interview with bitmap brothers developers on the original speedball.
Awesome. I normally get them anyway, but will especially for the Bitmap Brothers stuff.

That beard is fierce! Nice interview.
Words were elaborated somewhat from some notes taken on the day, so while the core answers are mine, they're a little bit not :)

PS4 for $399 posted from Target if you don't want a game bundle.

The best ever game soundtrack is still wipeout 2097. That came out nearly 20 years ago.

That's like when my parents talk about the beatles and elvis. I'm talking about FSOL, Orbital and Prodigy.

Well fuck that really puts it in perspective. I remember looking at that game as what the cool, older brothers of my friends would play.

Holy shit I'm old.

Shaneus

Well fuck that really puts it in perspective. I remember looking at that game as what the cool, older brothers of my friends would play.

Holy shit I'm old.
Jesus. 20 years from the mid-80s was indeed Beatles and Stones (when they were good) and 20 years from today Underworld released Cowgirl and The Prodigy knocked out Voodoo People, Poison and One Love.

Fuck me.

Edit: On that note, some people might want to do themselves a favour and check out a track by one-half of Orbital ("8:58") and Robert Smith (from The Cure) called Please. Full album is due soon and TBH I'm a bit hyped. Fake edit: It's already out.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I played a demo of Tenchu until the disc scuffed itself into oblivion. It was easily the most tense game I had ever played up to that point. I remember the voice acting of the demo's boss being ridiculously bad. But the grappling hook was the real deal.

I think I still own Ninja: Shadow of Darkness. That game was the typical result of Eidos' "Core make Tomb Raider and can do no wrong, let's just throw money at them to see what else they can do" thinking at the time.

MoonGred

All I remember from the ninja game are the throwing stars that looked like playing cards.

For the longest time I wanted a n64,one birthday my parents got me a ps one, the reasoning behind this was that the games were cheaper
piracy
. I used to choose games by looking at a list of game titles and just pick the coolest ones, I can attest that this is even worse than picking games based on its cover. Still annoyed about bust a groove/bust a move scenario.
But yea demo disks really made that system.

Cerity

I spent years in Tenchu's level creator, I used to play with my friends, we'd build levels as hard as we could, bring memory cards around and challenge each other with them.

industrian

But yea demo disks really made that system.

I'm not sure how much this applies to whatever demos you got in Australia, but I recently rediscovered and ripped all of my Official PSX Magazine UK demo discs to my PC (well, the ones that still work :/ ). Just hearing that background music alone was enough to give me a nostalgia bomb. When you were a 12-15 year old with a paper round and couldn't afford £45 for a game, you would play those demos until you mastered the fuck out of them.

I still have great memories of trying to beat the first two areas of MGS in record time (and by trying different things), trying to squeeze as much out of the 10 minute limit of the RE2 demo as possible, and then playing surprisingly good Net Yaroze games like Super Bub and Terra Incognita. That and the constant fear of accidentally pressing Start or Select as it may reset back to the main menu of the demo disc.

MoonGred

I still can't believe my cousin said that Syphon filter was better than Metal Gear Solid in every aspect and that the series would be so much more successful. Hahah

industrian

If I had a pound for every time I heard Hybrid Heaven being hyped up as better than MGS I could have retired before even getting a job.

MoonGred

If I had a pound for every time I heard Hybrid Heaven being hyped up as better than MGS I could have retired before even getting a job.

I never even heard of it. Had to google the cover and it rings a bell. It looks like freedom force clone though, or am I looking at the wrong screens.

senahorse

Pre-purchase Project CARS today and get 3 amazing limited-run custom machines waiting for you in your garage and ready to to use in all game modes!

Ruf CTR3 SMS-R: Created by the talented engineers at veteran developers Slightly Mad Studios

Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster: The 678bhp V12 open-top hypercar is the perfect companion for a drive along the Azure Coast

Ariel Atom 3 Mugen: The ultimate track day car will take you from 0-60 in just 2.9s

But wait, there's more:

The digital edition of Project CARS also includes the Limited Edition upgrade DLC pack, unlocking 5 legendary cars drivable in any game mode and showcased with special one-make series within your career!

Ford GT40 Mk IV
BMW M1 Pro Car
McLaren F1
Sauber C9
Mercedes-Benz AMG C-Coupe DTM

And if you use the current GMG voucher, it's just $40US quite the deal :D

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/racing/project-cars/

industrian

I never even heard of it. Had to google the cover and it rings a bell. It looks like freedom force clone though, or am I looking at the wrong screens.

As it was from Konami and a N64 exclusive, "better than MGS" was the word on the street in my high school.

MoonGred

Thing with that game is, I don't actually know anything about it. Is it a career-type thing like GT, or does it do the whole backstory thing a la GRID etc.? All I know is that it has a bunch of cars and tracks, and I actively follow the damn thing.

If it has a career mode I'll be down for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom