• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
46517_front.jpg

I used to love this, it was probably also terrible

Fredescu

There will never be a better racing game.

Not having a go at you personally, but I just find these kind of statements so boring. It's fun to seek out new things and play by different rules, that's what makes video games awesome. I own FZero GX and I like it a lot, though I definitely don't have the skills to beat it. I'm not going to insert it into some meaningless ranking as if that was worth spending effort on thinking about.

There are some people that like to pick one game and play it to death and I don't have a beef with them, but I like to try out new things. So even if I did think FZero GX was the best ever, I wouldn't be playing it over and over. I've had a lot of fun with games that weren't received well critically like Flatout: Ultimate Carnage, Dirt 2, Ridgeracer: Unbounded, and so on. Also some games are good for their time but are very difficult to play again. I loved the first Mario Kart at the time, but boy has it aged.

Video games are cool. Graphics are cool. Gameplay are cool. I don't know if I have a point.

Stackboy

Link? Love me some Groot!

Where did you get the Baby Groot Figurine, I can't find any good ones anywhere :(

https://www.ebgames.com.au/loot-204...ncing-Groot-Pop-Vinyl-Bobble-Head-Figure-Loot

When I ordered the delivery date was the 18th, hoping I still get mine around then.

Gerstmann knows dick about driving games and hates everything ever since Ryan died. Possibly even from before as well. The game's fucking fantastic.

Alright, settle down. I like listening to someone who reviews games that you don't like. That's ok.

BTW Stackboy, today's Ript tshirt designs are all Groot related lol. I like the last one

I just bought a bunch of new tshirts online that I don't have room for, but thanks for the headsup.

Will give the Destiny DLC a spin this afternoon.

Gazunta

Oh no not at all! Just something I noticed lately with a lot of videos that have been on my FB lately have subtitles for people who are watching TV / supposed to be working / whatever.

It's something I keep telling myself I have to do every time I make a kickstarter / patreon video but always forget to do ><

Shaneus

Alright, settle down. I like listening to someone who reviews games that you don't like. That's ok.
I don't not like him, he just seems to be a negative nancy more often than not. And in the case of DC, he really was quite wrong (even before all the updates came out with it).

Seemed to get it right with The Club, though. I just knew that would be a turd.

Oh no not at all! Just something I noticed lately with a lot of videos that have been on my FB lately have subtitles for people who are watching TV / supposed to be working / whatever.

It's something I keep telling myself I have to do every time I make a kickstarter / patreon video but always forget to do ><

use the youtube auto cc for shits and giggles, then edit. it's pretty easy. It gets about 50% right but that means you just need to edit rather than type everything in.

Gerstmann is highly entertaining but I've never thought much of his actual game analysis or journalism. Giant Bomb is more of a variety show than a serious media entity, aside from Patrick.

I don't not like him, he just seems to be a negative nancy more often than not. And in the case of DC, he really was quite wrong (even before all the updates came out with it).

Seemed to get it right with The Club, though. I just knew that would be a turd.

The Club was awesome... The Crew on the other hand.

senahorse

To be fair with Driveclub, although Giantbomb gave it the lowest score, it's not like it's universally praised or anything, sitting on a 71 on metacritic with a 5.4 user score. Sounds like it's an average to decent game.

edit: so this doesn't get misinterpreted, I am saying it sounds like an average game if we were to listen to what the reviews say.

Shaneus

The Club was awesome... The Crew on the other hand.
Wait, shit. That's what I meant.

I loved The Club.

To be fair with Driveclub, although Giantbomb gave it the lowest score, it's not like it's universally praised or anything, sitting on a 71 on metacritic with a 5.4 user score. Sounds like it's an average to decent game.
Problem is, it kinda is universally praised. The rocky launch didn't help but that was after the reviews giving it very middling scores. Go into the DC threads and it's a completely different story.

I loved The Club.

Problem is, it kinda is universally praised. The rocky launch didn't help but that was after the reviews giving it very middling scores. Go into the DC threads and it's a completely different story.

Yeah you and I have already discussed the majesty that is The Club many times (RIP Bizarre).

Driveclub ISNT universally praised. Reviewers hated it because it didn't have an open world and was "soulless".
Word of mouth was/is a lot higher though. It's a brilliant game at what it does, the almost non-existent load times meshes perfectly with the one-more-run feel of the game. Very rarely does it feel like you are banging your head against the wall, it treats you as a smart, capable driver which is fantastic.

It's the best driving game I've played since I was a kid, so probably ever without the rose tinted glasses.

It actually seems to have sold pretty well too which is a bit of a shock due to the pre-release review scores and previous Evo games.

senahorse

I loved The Club.

I wouldn't expect anything less for an OT of an exclusive game. I think all that matter is, you really like it, and that's great :)

senahorse

I was suggesting often exclusive game threads are full of circle jerking, and often comes across as universal praise, depending on what page you happen to land on.

edit: I should elaborate I guess. An OT is generally a place where people have put their faith in a product and paid money for a game, a lot of the time people will defend something to justify their purchase, with an exclusive it brings out the super faithful platform warriors who add to this viewpoint, it's generally a place where positive talk is going to be had. Does this happen always? no, does that mean Driveclub is a crap game? No. It might just be the second coming people are purporting it to be. But I trust an OT about as much as I trust reviews, ie, with a grain of salt.

also

I would trust an the general impressions in a GAF OT over Metacritic.

My original point was in regards to the disdain thrown at Giantbomb's review, and was merely pointing out that it wasn't the only review which had issues with the game.

edit2: ignore me, crappy few days, and am being irrational, apologies

Yeah online has been fine for a bit now. I had spotty issues with it about 2 weeks after launch that got progressively better. They only turned on the Make A Challenge system a week or two ago apparently. The ambient challenges have worked mostly since week 2 as well. Weather update came out the other day and 2 free event/car packs have already been released.

I was suggesting often exclusive game threads are full of circle jerking, and often comes across as universal praise, depending on what page you happen to land on.

edit: I should elaborate I guess. An OT is generally a place where people have put their faith in a product and paid money for a game, a lot of the time people will defend something to justify their purchase, with an exclusive it brings out the super faithful platform warriors who add to this viewpoint, it's generally a place where positive talk is going to be had. Does this happen always? no, does that mean Driveclub is a crap game? No. It might just be the second coming people are purporting it to be. But I trust an OT about as much as I trust reviews, ie, with a grain of salt.

also

My original point was in regards to the disdain thrown at Giantbomb's review, and was merely pointing out that it wasn't the only review which had issues with the game.

In terms of word of mouth outside the OT checkout how many responses it got in the Your underrated game of this year (2014) thread.

Also in terms of "justify your money spent" the Halo MCC thread was brutal. Was great to see people didn't hold back their anger and disdain in there.

senahorse

In terms of word of mouth outside the OT checkout how many responses it got in the Your underrated game of this year (2014) thread.

Also in terms of "justify your money spent" the Halo MCC thread was brutal. Was great to see people didn't hold back their anger and disdain in there.

As I said
Does this happen always? no

Also were people happy with the way Driveclub released?, sounded like it was also released in a pretty broken state. But that's the new norm anyway, e.g. Unity, Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs, to a lesser extent Dragon Age.

As I said

Also were people happy with the way Driveclub released?, sounded like it was also released in a pretty broken state. But that's the new norm anyway, e.g. Unity, Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs, to a lesser extent Dragon Age.

I was referring to your comment about the OT not being representative of the general opinion of people who are/have played it by linking you to a thread of people who recommended it as their underrated game of the year.

Not sure why you are talking about other games now.

The MP stuff didn't work due to the servers continually going down. The career/single event stuff was all playable.

Also what was broken about Far Cry 4? Played it since launch with no issues or read anything about that. Same with Watch Dogs. Didn't know Dragon Age didn't work either.

senahorse

I was referring to your comment about the OT not being representative of the general opinion of people who are/have played it by linking you to a thread of people who recommended it as their underrated game of the year.

My bad, sorry, tired and had a pretty stressful few days, probably shouldn't post when I am like this, ie typing withouth thinking :). All of this has just started from me suggesting to Shaneus that maybe there is a greater amount of people that felt similar about the game (albeit not as bad). As I alluded to earlier, as long as you (universal you) are enjoying the game, that's all that matters.
Not sure why you are talking about other games now.\

The MP stuff didn't work due to the servers continually going down. The career/single event stuff was all playable.

Also what was broken about Far Cry 4? Played it since launch with no issues or read anything about that. Same with Watch Dogs. Didn't know Dragon Age didn't work either.

Talking about Driveclub because the context of your analogy was relevant, Driveclub was also a broken game at launch (from what I have heard), was just wondering what the OT was like for it then.

Mentioned other games that are broken as that what the conversation seemingly went towards that (MCC). Watch Dogs had major hitching issues, wasn't fixed before the few weeks that it took me to finish it. Far Cry 4 also has these issues hitching, in fact when I first started playing it, it would just crash, a day 1 patched fixed the latter. The former still hasn't been fixed, however it has been reduced. Dragon age has had major issues for a lot of people, crashing, voice of player changing gender, texture flickering etc. Civilisation: Beyond Earth, I still can't play in the native resolution due to a bug with 120/144hz monitors, I could go on.

hidys

So I ordered a copy of Bayonetta 2 from JB expecting a copy of the original to be included since it was advertised as such.

It didn't.

Suddenly it's quarter past ten and my quick run of Driveclub before more GTA5 missions has gone way overboard o_O

Also Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP 2 is the GOAT! Spent an insane amount of hours playing that on the old SMS with Dad.
Burnout Legends is a close second :)

Talking about Driveclub because the context of your analogy was relevant, Driveclub was also a broken game at launch (from what I have heard), was just wondering what the OT was like for it then.
Ah in that case not so much since it wasn't broken at launch, the MP stuff was.
The OT had plenty of complaints about the servers not working for MP races but the people playing the events/SP stuff mostly had great things to say about the gameplay/graphics/etc. The game itself is fantastic.
There was tons of people who hadn't bought the game complaining the PS+ version was delayed too.

Watch Dogs had major hitching issues, wasn't fixed before the few weeks that it took me to finish it.
Far Cry 4 also has these issues hitching, in fact when I first started playing it, it would just crash, a day 1 patched fixed the latter. The former still hasn't been fixed, however it has been reduced.
Dragon age has had major issues for a lot of people, crashing, voice of player changing gender, texture flickering etc.
Civilisation: Beyond Earth, I still can't play in the native resolution due to a bug with 120/144hz monitors, I could go on.
Whoa is this all on PC? That fucking sucks, I hated when publishers wouldn't push out fixes quick enough on PC. I was lucky and the PS4 versions of Watch Dogs/Far Cry 4 worked fine at launch, nothing game breaking. I think both games had a few glitches that got picked up in Youtube type stuff and patched pretty quick, luckily never came across any.

So I ordered a copy of Bayonetta 2 from JB expecting a copy of the original to be included since it was advertised as such.

It didn't.

Yeah I'd be hitting them up for that copy, that's fucking bullshit. I didn't even know you could only buy one here, only seen the bundles.

hidys

Yeah I'd be hitting them up for that copy, that's fucking bullshit. I didn't even know you could only buy one here, only seen the bundles.

Thought the same thing too.

Have sent a complaint asking for either a copy containing both games or a refund.

I was really hoping to play the original tonight.

Dryk

I've read the articles, I've seen the clips... I still can't believe how much flak Channel Ten is copping for telling the truth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom