• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
How reliable are the cheaper tv brands? I'm pretty happy with my 5 year old Samsung tv, but I'm just curious.

I currently have 4 HDMI inputs all in use. Not sure if I could deal with much less.

my 55 inch 1080p soniq ($699 a few months back) has 4 HDMI ports, very happy with it.

Some guy who knows things posted a graph with no labels and they roughly translate into 1.2M for Xbone and 800k for PS4.
So another 'insider' like cboat? Why do people put so much faith in these sorts of people when they're so consistently wrong? I find it really strange. Surely official data can't be far away, save the meltdowns until then :)

Fredescu

So another 'insider' like cboat? Why do people put so much faith in these sorts of people when they're so consistently wrong? I find it really strange. Surely official data can't be far away, save the meltdowns until then :)

It's creamsugar, he's been a reliable source of numbers for years and years. Cboat used to be reliable but lately he isn't.

Dead Man

Because until he was wrong, he was consistently right. People don't just trust for the fuck of it.

Yep, it's in the NPD thread OP.

I haven't been following constantly, but he speaks in code now so everyone tries to figure out the message. It's madness, but kinda fun to watch.

Sweet thank. Cream had been doing that for a while now but missed at least one NPD due to laying low, can't remember if it was just last month or the one before it as well. That's why I hadn't been looking out for the thread this month.

If MS keeps this up it'll be a one sided bloodbath in the US. Sony really have to drop the price and/or bundle the fuck out of the PS4 at this point, same with the UK which is really price sensitive (as shown by the switch this gen).

Fredescu

Cboat gone? Did he get flushed out?

NPD drops, Xbone wins, on the first page of that thread he posts that the different was only 7-10k, which would have been huge news that it was so close considering the discounting from MS. As you can imagine, many of the ensuing pages were about this. Then it becomes clear than the gap was much larger, hence Mr Mutes comment.

Because until he was wrong, he was consistently right. People don't just trust for the fuck of it.
Everyone is right until they're wrong. If someone is so wrong they get banned, why would you put blind faith in their next post? Surely a little bit of skepticism or caution would be in order? If not, you really are just trusting them "for the fuck of it" as far as I can see.

Fredescu

Everyone is right until they're wrong. If someone is so wrong they get banned, why would you put blind faith in their next post? Surely a little bit of skepticism or caution would be in order? If not, you really are just trusting them "for the fuck of it" as far as I can see.

I agree with the general principle, but in the case of the numbers there are enough people with access to them that can call them out if they're wildly wrong. Which is what happened in this case. In the case of rumours it's a lot harder to verify, but cboat got lots of extremely specific things right in the past.

senahorse

I am just upset Dragon Age didn't make the top 10, it's the best game I have played out of the ones in that list, hopefully it still sold well.

I am just upset Dragon Age didn't make the top 10, it's the best game I have played out of the ones in that list, hopefully it still sold well.

Don't be sad. So many games not in the top 10 will have sold veeeeery well this month.

Not appearing on a top 10 all formats NPD chart doesn't indicate bomba. Likewise, appearing in the top 10 doesn't always indicate non-bomba.

Shaneus

Damn, now I need to find this thread.

It's all good guys, no need to Holy it up in here or anything, I'll search for it myself.

Kritz

Banned
me and my sister just bought $200 worth of chocolate from the cadbury factory.

yRD72Njh.jpg

TMQJFxbh.jpg

PIZ4FVMh.jpg

PXxNzqE.gif

Kritz

Banned
you see I trade all the burger money in for raw unrefined chocolates and then I can package these chocolates into bundles of 1000 and then I sell them on the steam marketplace for trading cards, and then once the gem market collapses in on itself I scoop up all the gems before the #gemgate2014 and use it to get dota 2 hats straight from the tap

Dead Man

I was referring to the fact that the people that are believed do have good records.

Just saw this online and thought, damn I have to have it, went to website it's $40. I order thinking I'll get screwed for $50 P+P due to Australia etc. Find out they're based in Adelaide! $7 P+P, chuffed as buggery! Xmas present to myself, because the wife can never figure out what I want, despite telling her what I want every bloody year.

And I can feel an avatar change coming on.

The answer to that is easily "I dunno lol".

Sorry.

About a year ago a friend of mine in a particularly notorious Irish pub in the suburbs of Sydney had about $300 taken over the course of the night. They reckon it was bar staff with portable machines just putting small charges on and tapping her bag whilst she was a bit pissed. She ended up getting it all back but it took a bit of a fight with the bank. The pub did bugger all. I'm guessing they try it out on various people until they find a card they can scan, some cards seem to have a stronger signal than others. My ANZ card needs tapping against the window to work, but my Westpac card will work through my phone-wallet thing.

If you're wondering how the scam works, they take small amounts off lots of people and then people who pay cash they'll put through the register and pocket it, tills add up as the paypass/wave payments will be close to the cash they've nicked. Makes the tills add up at the end of the night, and the stock-take will be unaffected.

So I don't think it has quite the same protection as a CC, but as it's an emerging tech I guess if you kick up a stink they'll refund you just to avoid negative publicity.

Alternatively my friend could have just been REALLY pissed and spent it on cigs and wine. But my wife was with her and said she didn't buy a drink all night because it was her Birthday (the friends, not my wife's). So no explanation except dodgy bar staff.

senahorse

Shitty brand and all but goddam that's a cheap TV. My first HDTV was $6000, yes $6000 for a 34" Sony Wega HD CRT, still have it as well, thinking about building an arcade cabinet with it
I never will :(

This week I finally put some serious time into Sunset Overdrive- which was 50% of the reason to get an X1 this year (the other half hasn't had Halo 4 patched out of it, yet. yes, fuck you 343i)

Here are my impressions.

1- the first thing that assaults you is the wrapping paper. You feel this is trying to be too hip by half, which is weird since it seems designed to appeal to 15 year olds
or more accurately, people who were 15 in 1999
. It just seems obnoxious and you just want to hate it.

Give it about a minute and you realise you are laughing at the gags. They aren't as corny, obvious or cheap as you'd feared but actually land quite well. The main character is a bit of lazy slacker but isn't pretending to be anything else. Once you start playing, you will get hit over the head with clunky tutorials that seem to be an Insomniac Dude reading out a Game Design Document in a funny voice. Then you go traversing the enviroment by grinding and jumping, leveling up your character, etc and fucking up zombies with guns that fire vinyl records, or exploding teddy bears or bowling ball guns (The Dude). Incredibly meta humour (they loved Breaking Bad), lots of fourth wall breaking and jokes about videogames.

So yeah, in terms of gameplay- its Ratchet and Clank with movement from Infamous (the PS3 games- grinding rails, jump boost from cars, character powers). People say Tony Hawk but that's more the soundtrack, UI and overall presentation than actual gameplay. The writing reminded me somewhat of Bulletstorm (without the constant dick jokes) but made me laugh more than any other new game this year (only my belated playthrough of Blood Dragon made me laugh more).

So yeah, If you own an X1 or are looking for a reason to jump on the insane deals, SO is a killer app. FH2 is probably runner up.

If anyone sees an insane deal on Titanfall for X1 (I originally played it on PC before that became a ghostttown), please post it here since I'd love to give it a spin on console.

Kritz

Banned
Sunset overdrive night just be the second best game this year. It's truly a joy to play, it's fast and fluid and colourful and creative. It's absolutely the best reason out there to buy an xbox, and I dare say that it singlehandedly beats the entire PS4 library at the moment.

It's certainly the best big budget game I've played all year.

It's a good set. Still need to tweak the colour settings a bit. So awesome to have a 1080p set now though.
I'm still on a 720p RPTV! Have been for ages...

Almost set on buying this guy between now and early January, unless someone has a reason I should go with something else? Budget is around $1400-1800, I'm cool with 1080p, want 60-65", a good picture but don't give a crap about much else.

I'm still on a 720p RPTV! Have been for ages...

Almost set on buying this guy between now and early January, unless someone has a reason I should go with something else? Budget is around $1400-1800, I'm cool with 1080p, want 60-65", a good picture but don't give a crap about much else.

I'm using a 40" Bravia, W600 I think. I got a W700 or W800 (whichever one is smart 3D) 50" for my folks.

They're all good sets. Especially for gaming.

I'm using a 40" Bravia, W600 I think. I got a W700 or W800 (whichever one is smart 3D) 50" for my folks.
I've been going back and forth between the 600 and the 850. I don't need the "better" speakers, and probably don't want the 3D, which makes the 600 perfect, but the 850 does look a lot nicer... :\

I never intend to use 3D, but the 3D set wasn't much more so I got that for the parental units. They don't own a single 3D thing so it's not going to get much use from them, lol.

Can you turn the swearing off in sso? I think it looks great but from what I've seen I can't play in front of kids.

there is a vulgarity filter to down the swears.No idea what that actually does though. You'd want to use the option turn the gore down as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom