• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Haha fair enough, I'm the same with wine, red tastes like red and white like white regardless of the price.

I used to work in an office with avid wine drinkers who kept telling me "one day you'll appreciate wine more than beer". That and my dad - before he was diagnosed with Crohns - was an avid red wine drinker.

Then last year when cooking some beef with red wine I found myself just drinking straight from the bottle. Red wine is good, but I'm too much of a Weegie prole to spend money on getting the "best" wine.

MoonGred

Wine just gets me really sleepy, don't know why but 1 glass and I'm ready for bed.

Was there a cultural change in the last few decades where the wine drinking habits of people changed? Both my parents, in laws and family members of around the same age group all drink wine with dinner. I don't know any young people who do this.

where's cods when you need him to lay down the beer law
He was trying to avoid posting yet another boring beer rant...

...looks like he failed.

I still find it weird going to a bar and having to explain what beer/size you want.
Much like countries in Europe, each state has different size standards. Not even a pint is a pint!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Australia#Sizes

I only miss living in Europe when it comes to beer. Duvel, Piraat, Hertog Jan, Chimay, La Chouffe, Warsteiner, Jupiler, Viru, Baltika
Duvel, Piraat, La Chouffe, and Chimay can all be found here, I've not seen the others that I recall.

The Australian market most closely mirrors the US, with easy drinking beers like lagers (at least the most mainstream), pale ales and IPAs ruling. Feral Hop Hog, 4 Pines Pale Ale are widely available and the most popular craft offerings.

For Belgian golden ales, you'll only usually find them as limited or seasonal beers. Red Hill's Golden Blonde isn't bad. Australian sours (such as Cantillon or Boon) are extremely scarce, Two Metre Tall in Tasmania do a few though I've not tried them yet.

IMO Victoria is probably the best craft beer state, with NSW close, and Queensland and WA a bit behind them. Sorry other guys, not a ton going on.

XXXX, VB and Carlton. All beer tastes like dirt to me though so I'm just weighing in on the basis of my peers :p
At a reputable beer store, if you buy something like Coopers Extra Stout, Little Creatures IPA, Kriek Boon (or maybe Lindemans Kriek would easier to find), Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and St Bernadus Abt 12 and still think they all taste like dirt... you're a lost beer cause. That's not a definitive list or anything, any decent store will be able to help with a good selection of stuff that tastes nothing alike.

I still don't understand the insane price hike, is it due to the high alcohol amount that it would get taxed a lot higher than let's say hoegaarden?
Beer in Australia is subject to a tax that increases twice a year, and is based on ABV (unlike wine, which is, I think, taxed on volume). It's also a VERY steep tax which explains our high prices. Something like $1.50 per litre.

One of my best mates is in Nepal right now and was intending to go to Everest basecamp. I don't know which days he was going to be in which places, so I really hope he's ok.

I hope he's okay, Mutes. I'm sure with everything going on right now it's hard to contact people. Just be patient, you'll hear from you friend soon.

Dryk

At a reputable beer store, if you buy something like Coopers Extra Stout, Little Creatures IPA, Kriek Boon (or maybe Lindemans Kriek would easier to find), Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and St Bernadus Abt 12 and still think they all taste like dirt... you're a lost beer cause. That's not a definitive list or anything, any decent store will be able to help with a good selection of stuff that tastes nothing alike.
I have an abnormally strong sense of taste. So I hate the taste of like most food and drink, especially bitter things. The only alcoholic beverages I've been able to stand (barely) are vodka/lemonade and vodka/water. Anything else is too strong or burns too much.

Yagharek

After the grind that was GTA4, I'd be good with a more compact story narrative.

GTA4 didn't just overstay its welcome, it had the locks on your house changed while you were out at work.

I've not played GTA5 yet. I was waiting for the PC version. And now I'm waiting for a PC to justify buying the PC version.

Gta 4 was never welcome. It was a boring, bland, buggy piece of shit.

Gta v on the other hand tops vice city. I did the controversial mission yesterday and the second heist leading to it. Fucking amazing all round. I do things in this game I am vehemently against in real life. Like shooting pugs.

And when I first hijacked a semi trailer, Highwayman was playing.

Get it before it's gone!

CDfG53mUIAAKctr.png

industrian

Gta 4 was never welcome. It was a boring, bland, buggy piece of shit.

Gta v on the other hand tops vice city. I did the controversial mission yesterday and the second heist leading to it. Fucking amazing all round. I do things in this game I am vehemently against in real life. Like shooting pugs.

And when I first hijacked a semi trailer, Highwayman was playing.

San Andreas is my favourite one so far, simply because of the sheer volume of content in it. Vice City is a close second, basically because it perfectly captures the look and feel of that era and has a setting and characters that fit the game perfectly.

GTA4 was overly scripted, overly long, and had nowhere near the content of San Andreas. After its high point - the bank mission - you're basically left with no real motivation for anything. You've got more than enough money to buy all 10 costumes and whatever else you can get from the stores, and the setting and characters are just too serious for its own good.

I'm sure I'll like GTA5 when I play it. Which should be early next year when build a new PC.

Hey is there a good aussie website that shows PSN sales? Does PSN / PSPlus have good sales here? I keep getting overly excited when gaming side posts deals like lego marvel on ps4 for 5 bucks and I log online and see it for like 80 and go "WTF" and then realise... America :(

I keep logging on to check but the UI is horrible and I don't want to miss deals :(

Poona

Hey is there a good aussie website that shows PSN sales? Does PSN / PSPlus have good sales here? I keep getting overly excited when gaming side posts deals like lego marvel on ps4 for 5 bucks and I log online and see it for like 80 and go "WTF" and then realise... America :(

I keep logging on to check but the UI is horrible and I don't want to miss deals :(

Just follow the announcements on the Europe PlayStation Blog:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com

They mention the Australian prices on there when there are sales, etc.

Jintor

Sleepy Dawgs is obviously a lot rougher than GTAV but man

I just started it up again and I'm already having way more fun than I ever did *playing* GTAV. Obvs the production values are comparatively rubbish but god Martial Arts Fights (even if somewhat Batman Derivative although I think the Grapple system means it kind of does its own thing) are just way more fun than shitty gun battles.

How was the Triad Wars beta?

Gazunta

Alpha 2 is the PS1 version, so there's loading screens all over the damn place and it's pretty low-res. It's still a great port of literally the best SF game.

Alpha 3 is the PSP conversion, and it's absolutely PACKED with features, extra modes and fun stuff. I have the PS1 version with World Tour and stuff, but the PSP version has even more. And it's what three bucks right now, absolute no-brainer.

Any Perth people collect 90's gaming magazines? The time has come to get rid of mine and i'm looking for a good home for them... at around $2 a pop, less if buying in bulk. Pains me to do this but they've gotta go!

Various issues in varying but fairly good for their age condition of EGM, NMS AU & UK, GamePro, Super Play, N64 Magazine, Sega & Sega Saturn Magazine, Edge UK & AU, P.S.X., Timezone Magazine, N64 Gamer, Hyper, Gamefan, Xbox Official, Super Gamer, SNES Force, Next Generation... and more i haven't sorted through yet.

Stackboy

I actually quite like VB, although I don't get all the snobbery about beer.

I think I've found my main in MKX, with Jacqui Briggs.

Shaneus

Get it for Dreamcast if you want best version.
Can't play that on my Vita, though. Nor cheaply.

Alpha 2 is the PS1 version, so there's loading screens all over the damn place and it's pretty low-res. It's still a great port of literally the best SF game.

Alpha 3 is the PSP conversion, and it's absolutely PACKED with features, extra modes and fun stuff. I have the PS1 version with World Tour and stuff, but the PSP version has even more. And it's what three bucks right now, absolute no-brainer.
Fair enough, I might jump in on Alpha 3. At least the controls will have been designed for a portable Playstation.

Darren870

VB is a great beer.....if you want a splitting headache the next day.....

XXXX, might as well drink water. My missus parents won't drink anything else. To the point that if we go to a pub and it doesn't have XXXX on tap they will only drink water.

Stackboy

I hate the Kombat Kids. It was fine to have all these chars but I felt it was real stupid having them all team up to go on missions and constantly trying to measure up to / get approval from their parents.

The way I figure it, it's the new generation. Bring in some fresh blood so that people don't just groan that its the same characters again. Lets face it, the story mode in MKX was pretty average.

The way I figure it, it's the new generation. Bring in some fresh blood so that people don't just groan that its the same characters again. Lets face it, the story mode in MKX was pretty average.

It was like 40% of the length of MK9, I feel. It being shorter isn't awful, but I think it was too short. MK9 was too long, so I would prefer a middle point.

IMO the problem with the story is how nonsensical it all becomes when you move away from the basic tournament storyline. Like it's always silly, but you can kind of go "well ok, the gods decreed some tournament would be fought, whatever". When you go beyond this conceit, you end up with utter fucking nonsense like elder gods being killed by Johny Cage in a fist fight. The fact that everything boils down to fisticuffs when there is no-longer this ceremonial shackle on everyone's power levels that the tournament provides, it's hard to see why gods aren't just snapping their fingers to make whole armies disappear, or why they can in any way be hurt by anything. Or why there would be this mighty powerful empire that basically runs on medieval technology and 1v1 brawls.

It's the same kind of jarring dissonance that I get from Dragon Ball Z or something. Where you have the most powerful man in the universe be just the guy who is best at 1v1 martial arts fights. With an empire of space aliens that go around in tights fighting people hand to hand, yet also can destroy planets with ki blasts? Whatever dude, lol.

Point of the story is, they need to go back to smaller stories that don't have the fate of all reality at stake. It's ok just to have another Mortal Kombat tournament :(

Fredescu

Do we still have EB employees in this thread? I like to answer the surveys for carrots things, but I was wondering if they get marked down for not asking me about trades and pre orders? Should I answer yes to be nice because I liked them, or answer no because they didn't? I'm just wondering how management handles it.

Stackboy

It was like 40% of the length of MK9, I feel. It being shorter isn't awful, but I think it was too short. MK9 was too long, so I would prefer a middle point.

IMO the problem with the story is how nonsensical it all becomes when you move away from the basic tournament storyline. Like it's always silly, but you can kind of go "well ok, the gods decreed some tournament would be fought, whatever". When you go beyond this conceit, you end up with utter fucking nonsense like elder gods being killed by Johny Cage in a fist fight. The fact that everything boils down to fisticuffs when there is no-longer this ceremonial shackle on everyone's power levels that the tournament provides, it's hard to see why gods aren't just snapping their fingers to make whole armies disappear, or why they can in any way be hurt by anything. Or why there would be this mighty powerful empire that basically runs on medieval technology and 1v1 brawls.

It's the same kind of jarring dissonance that I get from Dragon Ball Z or something. Where you have the most powerful man in the universe be just the guy who is best at 1v1 martial arts fights. With an empire of space aliens that go around in tights fighting people hand to hand, yet also can destroy planets with ki blasts? Whatever dude, lol.

Point of the story is, they need to go back to smaller stories that don't have the fate of all reality at stake. It's ok just to have another Mortal Kombat tournament :(

I found the story largely forgettable and agree. A new story set around the actual tournament would be really cool.

Do we still have EB employees in this thread? I like to answer the surveys for carrots things, but I was wondering if they get marked down for not asking me about trades and pre orders? Should I answer yes to be nice because I liked them, or answer no because they didn't? I'm just wondering how management handles it.

I wondered this too. I get really good service from my local EB but don't want them to get marked down because they didn't ask if I wanted a preorder.

Yagharek

It's mortal kombat. We fight it.

Get it for Dreamcast if you want best version.

Do you think the Dreamcast version is better than the Alpha Collection on PS2? Hard to say for me... extra features etc on DC, but good luck finding an arcade stick. The PS2 port is arcade perfect as well I'm pretty sure.

Fair enough, I might jump in on Alpha 3. At least the controls will have been designed for a portable Playstation.

Alpha 3 is fantastic on Vita. It was a great port hamstrung by the d-pad on PSP. For $3 it's a no brainer... actually has characters that aren't in any other version of the game.

Sleepy Dawgs is obviously a lot rougher than GTAV but man

I just started it up again and I'm already having way more fun than I ever did *playing* GTAV. Obvs the production values are comparatively rubbish but god Martial Arts Fights (even if somewhat Batman Derivative although I think the Grapple system means it kind of does its own thing) are just way more fun than shitty gun battles.

How was the Triad Wars beta?
Triad Wars STILL hasn't update properly for me. So no fucking clue.

Replaying Sleepy Dogs now though. Character models are awful :/

industrian

I'm up in Caloundra now. Seems like a nice place. My girlfriend and I will be here for a week to decide our next move.

I remember one of you guys mentioning Yatala Pies, and I forgot all about it - only to be reminded when we were driving past the "Yatala Pie Shop" sign on the highway. But, alas, it was too late. ;_;

Jintor

Dialogue is terrible, not enough Chinese, Wei Shan never says a word in Chinese (VA is actually Korean-American lol). Character modelling is terrible in cutscenes for the most part, in fight scenes it doesn't feel half as smooth to interrupt as Batman, etc, etc

still way more fun than GTA. Kung Fu GTA, so gud.

Jintor

I hadn't really realised it until after GTAV but I'm kind of sick of Americana the Game at this point, especially with the satire either becoming more and more stale and obvious or my sensibilities becoming less and less juvenile (I don't really know which, but the Radio Stations have never reached the heights of VCPR to me and stuff like the in-game internet and animated TV shows in GTAIV/V are just... painfully unfunny for the most part)

Of course, I guess the appeal of GTA Hong Kong or GTA Tokyo or whatever is very different and probably a way smaller market.

Jintor

Why would he be speaking Chinese?

Well, canto, specifically.

There's good arguments for and against. I think they probably went the right way not having him speak any Chinese whatsoever overall cos it helps with (most) players to relate to him, but i can't help but feel when other people are dropping the occasional chinese word in conversation it's really weird to have Wei stick rigidly to not speaking any Canto whatsover, especially when he's having conversations with characters who only speak Canto and he's responding in English.

The dialogue being terrible is kind of not related to the Chinese thing. It's just terrible naturally. Kind of good terrible like a badly dubbed Hong Kong chop-suey flick.

Yagharek

I hadn't really realised it until after GTAV but I'm kind of sick of Americana the Game at this point, especially with the satire either becoming more and more stale and obvious or my sensibilities becoming less and less juvenile (I don't really know which, but the Radio Stations have never reached the heights of VCPR to me and stuff like the in-game internet and animated TV shows in GTAIV/V are just... painfully unfunny for the most part)

Of course, I guess the appeal of GTA Hong Kong or GTA Tokyo or whatever is very different and probably a way smaller market.

I avoided the open world genre from 2005 until about now with few exceptions. I dipped my toes in gta4 and hated it. Sleeping dogs I had on psn and it wasn't interesting enough to me with batman combat.

The highlights for me were crackdown and lego city stories. Gta v feels relatively fresh as a result.

industrian

Well, canto, specifically.

I was pointing out the Cantonese != Chinese divide, yeah.

While it's grown significantly in usage since the handover, I still think English is the secondmost used language there. That and the obvious factors of paying homage to Hong Kong movies.

With all that said, I've played like 10 mins of Sleeping Dogs. It's not that I don't like it, but with having the GOTY edition I literally spent 5 mins looking at "XX DLC UNLOCKED" prompts and it lost me. That and I'm sure that some of this DLC breaks the game for first-time players.

I was pointing out the Cantonese != Chinese divide, yeah.

While it's grown significantly in usage since the handover, I still think English is the secondmost used language there. That and the obvious factors of paying homage to Hong Kong movies.

With all that said, I've played like 10 mins of Sleeping Dogs. It's not that I don't like it, but with having the GOTY edition I literally spent 5 mins looking at "XX DLC UNLOCKED" prompts and it lost me. That and I'm sure that some of this DLC breaks the game for first-time players.

yeah seriously. you can remove them by moving/deleting all the .dat files that are less than 50mb from the game folder. If you own Just Cause 2 tho theres no getting rid of that DLC prompt

industrian

I didn't like Just Cause 2. The lack of destructibility kills the game for me.

That may sound petty, but Mercenaries 2 did that open-world free-for-all gameplay a lot better - even if it was janky as hell.

Bernbaum

I remember one of you guys mentioning Yatala Pies, and I forgot all about it - only to be reminded when we were driving past the "Yatala Pie Shop" sign on the highway. But, alas, it was too late. ;_;

You are late - Yatala pies have been disappointing for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom