• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLEEK

No.

Fucking.

Way.

When my mum came over to visit from the UK recently she brought me a bar of Marmite chocolate. It was pretty nice. Just a subtle taste of Marmite, and after a couple of bites, you could barely taste anything other than chocolate.

The Vegemite chocolate will taste like filth, obviously, because it's got Vegemite in it.

quabba

I'm thinking of dropping my private health insurance. I only use it to claim back on contact lenses. But I wouldn't be spending $1100 a year on contact lenses. I'll probably pick it up again when I'm 30 (so in four years) if I can afford it.
Go to the dentist! I forgot that I use my private health for prescription sunglasses. It was really good before bupa stopped paying for polarisation.

Manax

It seems I miscalculated the amount of medication (warfarin) I needed before I came to Australia. So it looks like I'll need to go to a doctor or hospital here to get a prescription.

Any advice for what places to go in order to get the cheapest deal (I've no idea what's private/government-owned, etc) and stuff? The UK-Australia Reciprocal healthcare agreement won't cover this as it's a pre-existing condition.

You should still have access to medicare benefits. UK visitors just get allocated a particular medicare number which corresponds to being a UK resident (there are different numbers for various countries in the agreement)

Access to medicare entitlements mean you shouldn't have to pay anything for a bulk bill clinic but maybe call and check with the receptionist.

Also be careful with the warfarin we have two brands in Australia coumadin and marevan which aren't bioequivalent meaning 5mg of one doesn't have the same effect as 5mg of the other. Not sure what the UK brands are but if it's either of those stick to the same brand and make sure the doctor prescribes the correct one. If that's not possible then I guess it's INR testing until you're stable again which sucks.

The prescription should be cheaper to get at a chemist warehouse or discount chemist chain

Edit. Fuck, you may be right about existing conditions appears the medicare website says essential health care that requires attention before returning home. Although may be able to justify access to warfarin is a life or death situation depending on what your on it for (prevention vs treatment) check this site, rest of the advice still stands.
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...eements/health-care-for-visitors-to-australia

legend166

Go to the dentist! I forgot that I use my private health for prescription sunglasses. It was really good before bupa stopped paying for polarisation.

Oh, yeah I do go to the dentist. Never have any problems with my teeth so the dentist says I only need to go once a year for a checkup.

It is, in fact, now available for Android as well! The upload was a little later than the iOS one :)

Yo Rlan! How do I force the app to remain fullscreen? Any time I tap something it brings up the (back), (Home), (windows) soft button bar at the bottom of the screen. Usually that will disappear with other apps (like Netflix/Plex/etc).

It actually shifts the app window up a little so every motion movement registered actually appears on the screen half a cm above my finger lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I wonder what Australian TV is reporting in regards to the UK election.

I'm happy the SNP have overwhelmingly become the party of Scotland. But a Conservative majority may be an omen for the next five years - especially if they hold true to their word regarding an in-out referendum on the European Union. The Liberal Democrats being annihilated was a day of reckoning that was guaranteed when they entered into a coalition with the Tories five years ago. And I think it's safe to say that Labour are entering into potentially another 10+ years of opposition.

Either way, got six Hahn Super Drys for $10 thanks to my Coles receipt. It's actually not that bad.

MoonGred

I'll be on all 3 sessions hopefully. I may miss the first one to go to some open inspections.

Think we're already friends Yeh? NiickU just in case

I'll double check when I get home and let you know.

What is the recommended studio ghibli movie to start with, the missus has a prejudice against anything remotely anime but I'm trying to convince her that it's not all loud noises and boobs.

Grave of the fireflies.

don't do this for the love of god. Choose spirited away or totoro

When my mum came over to visit from the UK recently she brought me a bar of Marmite chocolate. It was pretty nice. Just a subtle taste of Marmite, and after a couple of bites, you could barely taste anything other than chocolate.

The Vegemite chocolate will taste like filth, obviously, because it's got Vegemite in it.

Apparently it tastes like salted caramel, which doesn't seem too bad.

Deeku

Laputa cos it was my first ghibli. Watched it soooo many times as a kid.

edit: oh wait, i didn't read and thought we were listing favourites...umm I dunno, any one of them are pretty good for starting on.

Totoro is maybe the best choice since it's just so cute/pleasant/harmless

The Giant

Banned
I walked into eb games at warrawong earlier today, just to pass time and what do I see. A Marth amiibo on the self. Bought it straight away. Hell yeah!

Jintor

Totoro is a fantastic movie. The only reason I don't recommend it to first-time anime watchers is there's a scene where the dad and the kids take a bath together. It's treated as totally normal but it can weird people out.

MoonGred

Totoro is a fantastic movie. The only reason I don't recommend it to first-time anime watchers is there's a scene where the dad and the kids take a bath together. It's treated as totally normal but it can weird people out.

Thanks, I'll see if I can track down a copy of it, ideally I'd get that collectors edition but can't really justify it at the moment.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So, 30 minutes of splatoon and i've realised, i've never played a 3rd person shooter on a console.

I can't pick a control scheme that doesn't severely mess with my head.

Inversed and when i need to get in a fire fight and shoot people i'm fine. but navigate around and i'm fucked.

regular, i can navigate around.. but if i need to shoot some one my mind goes the opposite way... as i'm used to FPS.

I don't know what to do :( stupid brain.

annoyingly i'm doing well too, getting top of or top 2 of my team each time. probably because i'm running around like an idiot shooting the floor half the time.. but getting lots of paint coverage.

I'm not paying $209 to play Vagrant Story and Hyper Boob Touch Extreme or whatever the other Vita game is.

I just wanted to emulate it. :/ Guess I could put it on my PSP though.
I assume you don't have PS+ then, otherwise there would be a ton of content for it (4 games this month alone).
Take a quick glance here for an idea of the most recent games kicking around on Vita. Having those game in a portable format is pretty boss.

Bulls v Cavs spoilers

That Rose 3p winning shot was a thing of beauty
Stupidly good. Fuck, NBA is so good.

Moreflicks is infinitely better.
http://www.moreflicks.com/

Awesome thanks for that. Not as comprehensive as unogs but the UI is nicer.

MoonGred

So, 30 minutes of splatoon and i've realised, i've never played a 3rd person shooter on a console.

I can't pick a control scheme that doesn't severely mess with my head.

Inversed and when i need to get in a fire fight and shoot people i'm fine. but navigate around and i'm fucked.

regular, i can navigate around.. but if i need to shoot some one my mind goes the opposite way... as i'm used to FPS.

I don't know what to do :( stupid brain.

annoyingly i'm doing well too, getting top of or top 2 of my team each time. probably because i'm running around like an idiot shooting the floor half the time.. but getting lots of paint coverage.

I'm a fucking idiot, here I was thinking the beta was from 1pm onwards not until 2pm.

Shaneus

Awesome thanks for that. Not as comprehensive as unogs but the UI is nicer.
Not as comprehensive how? If something isn't on Netflix anywhere, it still tells you where you *can* get it (Hulu, HBO, iTunes etc.). Best I can tell, that other site only mentions Netflix movies.

Imma get blue for a minute

Kyle Cobby, 22, pleaded guilty in the Hamilton Magistrates Court this week to false imprisonment, making threats to kill and two counts of intentionally causing injury.
He was sentenced to three months’ jail and will have to undertake a 16-month community corrections order when he is released.
In sentencing, magistrate John Lesser said it was one of the worst examples of this sort of offending. *(Note: Lesser is soft as fuck on crime)*

The charges related to incidents in January when Cobby hogtied his 37 weeks’ pregnant partner before she eventually escaped with their child to a neighbour.
In a recorded interview with police, Cobby openly threatened to kill his partner.
In February, Detective Sergeant Chris Asenjo, of the Warrnambool police child abuse investigation team, said Mr Cobby punched his partner to the face and head a number of times and put a belt around her neck, which he pulled tight and choked her.

Detective Sergeant Asenjo said the next morning Cobby tended to the toddler who was crying and his partner heard Cobby slapping their son. She told police that Cobby then took their son to a bathroom and placed him in a cold shower before she again heard slapping sounds. Cobby’s son suffered about 60 unexplained bruises which an expert said were not caused accidentally.
She'll be dead within 4 months I expect.

Not as comprehensive how? If something isn't on Netflix anywhere, it still tells you where you *can* get it (Hulu, HBO, iTunes etc.). Best I can tell, that other site only mentions Netflix movies.

Doesn't show every region, some stuff doesn't seem to show on Moreflicks but does on Netflix, etc. Also movies separated from TV shows is a bit annoying to me.

Also I don't give any shits about where I *can* get it. I want to watch it on Netflix. I don't get Hulu, HBO, iTunes etc so I have zero interest in their results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom