• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have zero issue with the requirements. Bottom line is it cuts out a huge, huge, HUGE section of the PC market. They will need to reduce requirements over time to break out of the now defined niche.

I'd rather have something that works properly with a steeper entry requirement than something that's half arsed so joe sixpack can use it. Besides, that requirement is steep today but as time goes by it will become more mid level. They could be betting on the hard core to begin with, wait for the product to gain some traction and go for a more maintstream push in 1-2 years when both their tech and consumers tech has improved.

I'm sure it was a tough choice to make for the team.

senahorse

Yeah I fucking loved it. Watched it a few times now. I can understand the hate but I actually really like the human sections of the movie, feels like a cute throwback to old old action movies.

Matrix holds up great. Really good effects and practical stuff.

970 is expensive and new. People didn't expect the company behind Facebook to have that kind of requirement. Some games, yeah, but not the whole deal entirely.

Why wouldn't it run on my 460? I don't expect ultra graphics, just useability.

Doesn't help that the media are pushing Oculus as a new function of Facebook rather than the other aspects of it, all this talk of it being integrated into how you use Facebook certainly changes expectations I bet.

Well to be fair by the time CV1 is released Nvidia will be releasing (or about to) new cards which will mean the 970 equivalent will be what a 960 is now, also at that time your 460 is a 6 year old card, I understand your sentiment but I think it's asking a bit much when they are targeting 2160x1200 at 90fps, and with VR that 90fps has to be rock solid, any dips and it really affects the presence. And even then I think the resolution is still too low, this stuff really needs to be at 4K, and then requirements just get ridiculous.

Having said all that, I am sure some games (obviously graphically simple ones) will run fine with your card.

I'd rather have something that works properly with a steeper entry requirement than something that's half arsed so joe sixpack can use it.
Well yeah, that's what I said. That's not what the question was though.

They could be betting on the hard core to begin with, wait for the product to gain some traction and go for a more maintstream push in 1-2 years when both their tech and consumers tech has improved.

Well yeah, that's obvious. Start with a slightly bigger niche than they currently occupy.

Back to the original question

Why are people so outraged about the oculus rift requirements?
People are outraged because they expected the consumer launch of the Rift was going to target the mass market due to the statements made by Zuckerberg/Facebook/MSM. They expected the revolution to be close rather than deferred.

Also if people are outraged they need to sit down, take a deep breath and have a glass of water. I really hope no one is *actually* outraged rather than just *internet hyperbole* outraged. It's a tech product. Relax. Jesus is still coming.

Having said all that, I am sure some games (obviously graphically simple ones) will run fine with your card.

Yeah if nothing else it's a marketing blunder to put out those specs rather than defining for each demo what the recommended specs are. If they did it that way instead there would likely be less of a backlash, after all that's how PC stuff generally works.

senahorse

I think it will be rev2 or 3 before this has the potential to really go mass market, price comes down, more compatible and most importantly more content, kind of like HDTV's.

Kritz

Banned
Is that something I can get an infuriatingly stuttery stream of through HBO Now?

is this a secret moderator trap where you make me admit there's probably no legal way I could be watching this show

I've found the first season to be funnier, but this has been really good as well.

see I really didn't like the first season until the dick out gag at the end, whereas this season I've felt has kind of worked out what the characters are doing a bit more and generally just has better setups for funny scenarios. This week's ep especially might be the best episode of the entire show with the SWOT board gags.

I think it will be rev2 or 3 before this has the potential to really go mass market, price comes down, more compatible and most importantly more content, kind of like HDTV's.

Integration will be really important to boost uptake, the Facebook connection could be fucking huge but it remains to be seen how well it could be implemented.

senahorse

Yeah I would take the next couple of years as testing the waters and concentration to focus mainly on games while they work out the potential social applications and other things like working in the office from home, or using a racing wheel and practising driving lessons etc, so much potential I really hope it takes off as in a few years it could be something really special.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
People are outraged because they expected the consumer launch of the Rift was going to target the mass market due to the statements made by Zuckerberg/Facebook/MSM. They expected the revolution to be close rather than deferred.

Also if people are outraged they need to sit down, take a deep breath and have a glass of water. I really hope no one is *actually* outraged rather than just *internet hyperbole* outraged. It's a tech product. Relax. Jesus is still coming.

Expecting the initial consumer-grade specs for VR to be mainstream-friendly is like going ten years into the past and expecting the first Blu-ray and HD DVD players to cost less than $500.

Jintor

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

Are you telling me Nokia 3310's with a sliding bit and CRT monitors don't hold up

the cg with the bug in the taxi is horrific. actually a lot of the way the whole movie is shot just looks bad straight up imo.

but there are some really amazing scenes that still are 'classic' for lack of a better term. Strangely enough they're all the scenes that it was possible to learn through pop culture osmosis without having to watch the actual film to see. blue pill red pill. deja vu. woah. pretty much everything with hugo weaving in it. they're great.

i actually don't care much about the cellphones and crts, the matrix is deliberately anacronistic in a sense.

the bit in martin place will never not be weird though

Stackboy

see I really didn't like the first season until the dick out gag at the end, whereas this season I've felt has kind of worked out what the characters are doing a bit more and generally just has better setups for funny scenarios. This week's ep especially might be the best episode of the entire show with the SWOT board gags.

I really liked the character building of the first season. Last week's episode was great.

is this a secret moderator trap where you make me admit there's probably no legal way I could be watching this show

It can be. Do you want it to be?

I've got a Now sub for GoT, but shit it's a pile of dung. Quality is ok but it constantly stutters. I was wondering if it was an HBO series. Seems like it is.

Quasar

Watched episode one of the BBC version of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Pretty good, but I say that as someone who found the book/audiobook sleep inducing despite the subject matter.

Quasar

It can be. Do you want it to be?

I've got a Now sub for GoT, but shit it's a pile of dung. Quality is ok but it constantly stutters. I was wondering if it was an HBO series. Seems like it is.

It was rock solid for me when I used the trial. Which surprised me given the past hassles with hbo go.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Gave my notice today.. June 22nd is my last day! Will find something early to mid june

(for my home, not my job)

MoonGred

Gave my notice today.. June 22nd is my last day! Will find something early to mid june

Good, that last domestic your neighbours had was insane.

How will I get material for my bogan novel I'm writing without your recordings?

I'll take you for a drive through Melton or just catch the Ballarat train. The other week there was a guy who didn't know what an inside voice is, he was yelling on the phone to his mate that the judge was a "fkn idiot" and only gave him "one of those fkn gay ankle things" and a massive fine, but he kept repeating that nobody can mention the windows.

I'll take you for a drive through Melton or just catch the Ballarat train. The other week there was a guy who didn't know what an inside voice is, he was yelling on the phone to his mate that the judge was a "fkn idiot" and only gave him "one of those fkn gay ankle things" and a massive fine, but he kept repeating that nobody can mention the windows.

Seriously. Lots of great (terrible) stories about westies out here. I've lived in the western suburbs my whole life. Some crazy shit's happened around here.

Omikron

Noooooooooooooo. I'd rather get 3 more cats.
Talking about personal situation. But how could you say no ...

kppFkiA.jpg

Yeah I found Pacific Rim pretty dull too, I don't want to ever see it again.

On another note I got a block of the Dairy Milk with Vegemite from my local Woolies last night. Vegemite isn't as strong as expected, just a bit of a salty taste before the caramel mellows it. A bit strange but not bad at all

Pacific Rim is a fun ride as long as you don't think about it too much.

Also the Vegemite chocolate's out already? I gotta get me to coles.

Today is a day of outrage for some
Oculus specs
Game of Thrones
Man Men Finale

*mild TV spoilers.
Yep. People posting the spoilers for the first show explicitly and how they are going to boycott the show all over facebook today. Be careful, people who are worried about spoilers.

Congrats. I will miss the interesting stories but I'm glad you're getting out of there.

Darren870

Anyone have experience with going from single glazing to double glazing? We are looking at it from a noise perspective, not a heat perspective.

Anyone know how much it will help? We live on a tram line and it can be a bit noisy.

Also, what is the name of the double glazing where its just a removable window? I saw one the other day, its like a magnet around the frame where you can just pull the window off and on.

MoonGred

Anyone have experience with going from single glazing to double glazing? We are looking at it from a noise perspective, not a heat perspective.

Anyone know how much it will help? We live on a tram line and it can be a bit noisy.

Also, what is the name of the double glazing where its just a removable window? I saw one the other day, its like a magnet around the frame where you can just pull the window off and on.

Double glazing is pretty much the new standard in Belgium (mostly due to temperature isolation), I was shocked that it hasn't taken off in Australia yet.
I found the difference between single and double quite substantial for a noise perspective.
A friend of mine lived in a high rise next to the freeway and had triple glazing and you couldn't hear anything anymore.

It's not cheap if its not done during construction (I'm talking built-in solutions rather than magnets) and it also means you need to keep doors and windows closed for it to work properly. The attenuation of the sound coming through the windows means you'll noticed through the next weakest point (anything else single glazed).

It also works best on mid range and high frequency sounds at a distance. If someone is talking at normal volume right outside the window, you'll hear them reasonably clearly due to proximity effect. It will do very, very little against powerful bass from heavy trucks or obnoxious cunts with powerful sub woofers.

The last apartment I had overlooked a busy road and it had double glazed windows, and they worked a treat for reducing much of the road noise apart from 'rap cars.'

Fredescu

These guys I think: http://www.magnetite.com.au/

I've wanted double glazing and have gone as far as getting quotes, but no further yet. Half thinking about a knock down rebuild in the future, and would most likely go double glazing if we did. It only adds about $20k to the build from memory.

Darren870

It's not cheap if its not done during construction (I'm talking built-in solutions rather than magnets) and it also means you need to keep doors and windows closed for it to work properly. The attenuation of the sound coming through the windows means you'll noticed through the next weakest point (anything else single glazed).

It also works best on mid range and high frequency sounds at a distance. If someone is talking at normal volume right outside the window, you'll hear them reasonably clearly due to proximity effect. It will do very, very little against powerful bass from heavy trucks or obnoxious cunts with powerful sub woofers.
he
The last apartment I had overlooked a busy road and it had double glazed windows, and they worked a treat for reducing much of t road noise apart from 'rap cars.'

Yea, we don't get much noise from assholes. Its more the noise from the trams or just general cars coming up and down the road. It sometimes seems like its really loud if there is no white noise in the room.

Yea, we had a look at quotes and the price do it is just too expensive. Its a two story townhouse so we would only do it on the 2nd floor, where all the bedrooms are. We don't really care too much downstairs. As you can imagine to do it on a 2nd floor is highly costly. That is why we thought of maybe the magnet route once we saw them at someone elses place.

These guys I think: http://www.magnetite.com.au/

I've wanted double glazing and have gone as far as getting quotes, but no further yet. Half thinking about a knock down rebuild in the future, and would most likely go double glazing if we did. It only adds about $20k to the build from memory.

Yea, thats them, cheers! Yea, its not really easy to do for us. We were hoping we could get this done for about $5k or so. Will have to look down the magnetic route.

I just would HATE to put something in and it did nothing to the noise. Thats my biggest concern. Really wondering if it will stop those tram sounds.

Kinda feel like I should have upgraded my GPU rather than buy TW3 on PS4. It's good but not as impressive as I expected. They cut some corners with the ports by the sounds of it. The core game itself will be great though I still feel.

Cutscenes are too compressed and drop in frame rate way too much.
X1 version runs at 1080p only during the cutscenes, all gameplay is variable between 900-1080.
Dozens and dozens of bugs being reported in the OT which seem to mainly deal with shaders/lighting.
Issues with text being too small on a lot of setups.

Also in other news GTA5 has sold 52 million copies. 52 MILLION. That's fucking insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom