• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0VAM0D

10865840_838567442866572_6467428563891743709_o.jpg
10934133_838567519533231_5737492757139373495_o.jpg

We have similar cats! I don't have a lot of pictures on me, but here's Charlotte:

Also, I really really want to get TW3, but I've never played any of the other games. Should I, or not? It looks exactly like what I feel like playing, but I'm afraid that I won't understand a lot of what is going on!

witcher 3
dirt rally
project cars
logitech g25
geforce 970

what am I doing with my money

This year I'm planning to upgrade my 970 to something else, get the new Win10 phone flagship if it comes out, upgrade to Surface Pro 4, and if desktop skylake comes out, get basically a new PC (RAM, Mobo, CPU).

I weep for my future.

Also, I really really want to get TW3, but I've never played any of the other games. Should I, or not? It looks exactly like what I feel like playing, but I'm afraid that I won't understand a lot of what is going on!
Why not get The Witcher 2 next time it's like five bucks (it was $3 on Humble Store the other day), and play that instead? If you like it, by the time you're ready, The Witcher 3 will probably be cheaper.

No need to have played the previous games tbh. Comes with a good primer on the series and the gameplay is fairly different to the last 2 games. Story jumps out of the other games too in my opinion.

hamchan

Should be fine without playing the other games. The first Witcher game is actually a sequel to a long book series so don't worry, most people came into these games halfway through a story and still got it.

N0VAM0D

Why not get The Witcher 2 next time it's like five bucks (it was $3 on Humble Store the other day), and play that instead? If you like it, by the time you're ready, The Witcher 3 will probably be cheaper.

Can't play on PC, and I don't really have the time to commit to another game before getting around to one that I actually want to play. I don't think there will be an issue with actually liking the game, the only thing that worries me is being lost. But, rep seems to think it'll be fine. hum.

No need to have played the previous games tbh. Comes with a good primer on the series and the gameplay is fairly different to the last 2 games. Story jumps out of the other games too in my opinion.

This is good to hear.

Be aware the game has it's fair share of euro-jank though.

The motion blur is killing me so far. Not as bad as Type 0 HD but it's still well above acceptable to me. Texture pop in is annoying too. Glad I'm not on X1 though!

Can't play on PC, and I don't really have the time to commit to another game before getting around to one that I actually want to play. I don't think there will be an issue with actually liking the game, the only thing that worries me is being lost. But, rep seems to think it'll be fine. hum.
Fair enough. There's a bunch of retrospective videos and things floating around the OT, but TBH I'd forgotten most of it since playing the first two.

Most of it would probably only help for clarification of who is who and their motives. I wouldn't be concerned jumping in reasonably blind.

Kritz

Banned
even playing through the first two games you reach moments where you're like "wait am I supposed to know this person?" and the game trucks on regardless. Since the series pulls a lot of lore from the books (The Last Wish is fantastic, by the way), you're just going to be drowning in history and characters and cities either way. Personally, I really love that the series trusts its audience to keep up, and doesn't get stuck in exposition hell every time you meet a new character.

Cerity

Clap clap auspost, bought a 290x off a guy here in brisbane, he posted it out yesterday, it didn't come today so I checked the tracking.

It's somewhere in Melbourne.

Rezbit

Mad Max Fury Road is the fucking craziest movie I have ever seen. I am exhausted from watching it. Talk about sensory overload, holy shit.

Starting to feel like I can't wait for Mad Max 4 to hit Netflix before I watch it. Damn it, I need more friends down here, going to movies alone is weird to me.

I just came out. I give it a solid 8.5/10. I think they could have toned it down slightly, and Tom Hardy needs to work on his accent badly. He seemed more like Riddick than Mel's Max, lol.

Stackboy

Starting to feel like I can't wait for Mad Max 4 to hit Netflix before I watch it. Damn it, I need more friends down here, going to movies alone is weird to me.

I love going to the movies by myself. I usually see movies with at least one other person, but sometimes it's nice to just go by yourself, take it all in and not worry about anyone else.

When we were dating my wife thought I was weird for being ok about seeing movies by myself.

Shaneus

Everybody. If you have a spare SSD kicking around, put it in your PS4. My (old) SSHD was on its way out and the only thing I had to replace it was a 240GB SSD I wasn't really using and holy shit, dat speed.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Oh yeah just a reminder I'm going be in Sydney from the 5th of June to the 13th (fly out on the 14th). Meet-up is happening and details are.

June 6th (Saturday) will be a official AusGAF meet-up in Sydney featuring me and Teresa. Some extra friends of mine might attend.

Time: 7:00 PM to 7:30 PMish start.
Location: Friend in Hand Hotel, 58 Cowper Street, Glebe NSW 2037

Attendees (that are probably coming)
Me + Teresa
The Storyteller
Spotless Mind
wonzo
NOVAMOD

Also rec me any cool cultural things to do in Sydney and places to eat while I'm here. Staying in Newtown fyi so anything close to there would be great.

radaxian

I love going to the movies by myself. I usually see movies with at least one other person, but sometimes it's nice to just go by yourself, take it all in and not worry about anyone else.

When we were dating my wife thought I was weird for being ok about seeing movies by myself.

I saw Mad Max by myself - and thought it was incredible, loved it. Anyone who's had young kids for a few years and doesn't see many movies quickly stops worrying about it being strange to go by yourself - just go when you can!

I saw Mad Max by myself - and thought it was incredible, loved it. Anyone who's had young kids for a few years and doesn't see many movies quickly stops worrying about it being strange to go by yourself - just go when you can!

Agreed, young kids combined with friends with young kids and seeing movies don't go hand in hand. I let the hype build and just pulled the trigger on a gold class solo session to see Ultron. Rolled on in put my feet up and smashed a burger with a few beers. Honestly I think I prefer the standard cinema atmosphere as the audience gets more involved in the experience based on sheer numbers of people in the same session.

I have to say it was a stark contrast in terms of the audience and their attire for Ultron gold class vs. other movies I've seen or gone with the misses to gold class with. Punters usually dress up and give it a night out but with Ultron almost every couple in there was in tracky dacks or leggings and just cruising
stoned AF
. Surreal but a welcomed change.

Yeah I'll probably bite the bullet do it. The cinema here is pretty shit though so I hate paying money for a sub-par cinema experience.

I'd ask the bro in law if he wanted to go but he and his friends always have to sit at the very back of the cinema. Some shit about not wanting people behind you throwing shit/being noisy behind you. I don't know. It sucks though as the screens here are already small so it means you're basically watching a large TV with stereo sound :/

Everybody. If you have a spare SSD kicking around, put it in your PS4. My (old) SSHD was on its way out and the only thing I had to replace it was a 240GB SSD I wasn't really using and holy shit, dat speed.

SSD's are always awesome. I've only got a spare 120GB one though :(

He's come along way from Star Trek Nemesis

and Band of Brothers.

Agreed, young kids combined with friends with young kids and seeing movies don't go hand in hand. I let the hype build and just pulled the trigger on a gold class solo session to see Ultron. Rolled on in put my feet up and smashed a burger with a few beers. Honestly I think I prefer the standard cinema atmosphere as the audience gets more involved in the experience based on sheer numbers of people in the same session.

I absolutely love seeing movies in Gold Class. I occasionally venture into the cheaper cinemas when a movies been out for a while and its a weekday morning (ie virtually empty) but GC, even with people having a glass of booze, is just perfect. I think I heard a phone go off all of once in the last few years (that was a few weeks ago).

I guess when you pay that much, you kinda appreciate it more. Of course, i usually go during the day so it's a lot cheaper than night time.

We also tend to head off to Carindale rather than the closer Garden City cinemas since the latter is in desperate need of refurbishment.

Stackboy

Yeah I'll probably bite the bullet do it. The cinema here is pretty shit though so I hate paying money for a sub-par cinema experience.

I'd ask the bro in law if he wanted to go but he and his friends always have to sit at the very back of the cinema. Some shit about not wanting people behind you throwing shit/being noisy behind you. I don't know. It sucks though as the screens here are already small so it means you're basically watching a large TV with stereo sound :/

Ah that sucks, sounds like you might be better off watching it at home.

I might go Gold Class for Jurassic World.

Played a few hours of Witcher 3 last night, was able to notch everything up to Ultra, no problems. Game plays great so far!

Might get an hour or so in on new Destiny DLC tonight, finally finished Crotas End for the first time on the weekend. Will dig in more on the weekend, no doubt. Also got to start looking for a new rental though Fun times!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Anyone got any decent mortal kombat 2 tips to pass on? or decent pro level tutorials websites? I can't find much other than playthroughs, and I need the next level.

Shaneus

SSD's are always awesome. I've only got a spare 120GB one though :(
I honestly didn't think there'd be such a difference (even over the SSHD before it carked it). Also helps that I don't play much on the PS4, so I really only need room for DC and a handful of other things.

Oh, and I think 120GB is the minimum size for any HDD, so you're out of luck there :(

and Band of Brothers.

I absolutely love seeing movies in Gold Class. I occasionally venture into the cheaper cinemas when a movies been out for a while and its a weekday morning (ie virtually empty) but GC, even with people having a glass of booze, is just perfect. I think I heard a phone go off all of once in the last few years (that was a few weeks ago).

I guess when you pay that much, you kinda appreciate it more. Of course, i usually go during the day so it's a lot cheaper than night time.

We also tend to head off to Carindale rather than the closer Garden City cinemas since the latter is in desperate need of refurbishment.

Having a newish cinema setup means you get good seats and great equipment. I can't fault the picture or sound quality of gold class TBH. I feel for those stuck with old venues in their local area.

Any recs for a relatively cheap-to-run laser printer? With EOFY sales looming, I'm wanting to print out B&W manuals so colour is not neccesary. But reasonably priced toner refills are a priority. I already have a scanner/inkjet.

All my printers have been Canon but I'm ready to try something else if the value is there.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm in Brisbane right now.

It basically feels like a bigger version of Glasgow with better weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom